Jevan Snead story

Hornius Emeritus

CTE is horrible and I hope after evaluation that Jevan was not a victim.    But Sonny Jurgensen is 85 and he had one of those double bar facemasks while Chuck Howley was face planting him on more than one occasion.  Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Namath, Bradshaw, Montana and many others got hit like that and are still lucid.  Football is a dangerous sport.  Luck or unluck of the draw, I guess.  

That's where I am at this point.  I agree that everything should be done to make the game as safe as possible and that thought should be continued as long as football is around.  I can remember as a kid I loved those huge hits.  For the last 15 or 20 years my perspective on huge hits has completely changed as I hate to see them.  I guess somewhere along the way, it dawned on me that is someone's father, son, or brother lying there on the field and I couldn't imagine how I would feel if that was my family member.  All of that being said, I still love that Quan Cosby hit on that stupid fucking sooner in 2008. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

When Snead asked Meyer about it, Meyer responded, "We are recruiting him for linebacker."  I had heard that before, but got a big kick out of reading it in the book straight from Snead.

If Snead believed that, he was brain damaged before college. Would comfort Jennah tho...

Edited by Gatorubet

2 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

If Snead believed that, he was brain damaged before college. Would comfort Jennah tho...

Pretty sure the point was he didn’t believe him.  

But no way Urban would ever lie to a recruit.  That Florida program he ran was fucking squared away.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Haha 1

I'm not minimizing Sneads CTE issues but the article talks about how he transferred to Ole Miss because of all the tradition?  You mean barely being average when Eli was there, being relevant in 1958-1960 and Toomer's Corner?

Wow, he had dain bramage way before the hit against Okie State.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

That's where I am at this point.  I agree that everything should be done to make the game as safe as possible and that thought should be continued as long as football is around.  I can remember as a kid I loved those huge hits.  For the last 15 or 20 years my perspective on huge hits has completely changed as I hate to see them.  I guess somewhere along the way, it dawned on me that is someone's father, son, or brother lying there on the field and I couldn't imagine how I would feel if that was my family member.  All of that being said, I still love that Quan Cosby hit on that stupid fucking sooner in 2008. 

Lindy Holmes.  Knocked his socks and shoes off. 

• Like 1

Without diminishing the importance of CTE, I get the impression that Jevan was dealing with some untreated mental illness of possibly unrelated origin.

Kinda got that impression too... not an attack on him, more of an indictment of the way mental illness is handled/stigmatized in the US, but multiplied with his football surroundings.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluto said:

Kinda got that impression too... not an attack on him, more of an indictment of the way mental illness is handled/stigmatized in the US, but multiplied with his football surroundings.

So depression due to feeling like a failure caused him to irrationally hate himself... and memory loss due to CTE further fueled the depression...? Makes sense to me. 

25 minutes ago, B00M said:

So depression due to feeling like a failure caused him to irrationally hate himself... and memory loss due to CTE further fueled the depression...? Makes sense to me. 

Just a sidenote.  Generally speaking, depression isn't caused by some negative event.  It's a brain chemistry issue.  Negative events don't help the situation, but someone who is truly depressed starts to see most things as negative events.  Depression itself can lead to a form of memory loss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Just a sidenote.  Generally speaking, depression isn't caused by some negative event.  It's a brain chemistry issue.  Negative events don't help the situation, but someone who is truly depressed starts to see most things as negative events.  Depression itself can lead to a form of memory loss.

Ah, thanks for the correction

• Like 1

I’ll be honest with you guys. Im 46 and struggling.  Played center at SFA. Had 7 diagnosed concussions. 

i forget shit. Mood swings. People tell my wife I have changed.  Not going to lie that say i have haven’t thought about suicide.   Forgetting shit all the time Is frustrating. 

Edited by Gardner Barnes
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I’ll be honest with you guys. Im 46 and struggling.  Played center at SFA. Had 7 diagnosed concussions. 

i forget shit. Mood swings. People tell my wife I have changed.  Not going to lie that i have haven’t thought about suicide.   Forgetting shit all the time Is frustrating. 

Damn...if you are serious, please get some help ASAP! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have to chime in here, because this statement is blatantly false. In psychiatry, we are asking the most in-depth of social histories compared to any other medical discipline to identify if there was/were a triggering event(s). That's also why sometimes hours can be spent talking to family members and friends to figure out what caused depression in a patient that otherwise had an unremarkable psychiatric (and for that matter, medical) history. The quickest example that comes to mind is depression in a setting of PTSD. I have treated adult sexual assault victims (without personality disorder diagnoses), both male and female, who have had chronic depression (technically, major depressive disorder, recurrent) and their symptoms commenced shortly after the trauma. Another scenario is the successful business person who lost everything during an economic downturn, became financially ruined, and then committed suicide (if it's not a culture-bound belief of disgrace similar to Eastern codes of honor, it is more than likely depression).

Depression and other mental illnesses are certainly linked to abnormal levels of multiple neurotransmitters and memory loss secondary to depression is called pseudodementia. Proper treatment (which differs patient to patient) for depression is crucial and if accomplished, the pseudodementia usually resolves. You are spot on about on how moderately to severely depressed patients begin viewing the various domains in their life through a lens that is marked by negativity which is why we send patients to therapy to develop coping skills and hopefully change their mindset such that everything in life isn't seen as calamity or catastrophe. Ideally, treatment encompasses the biopsychosocial model where the patient receives pharmacological/non-pharmacological (e.g. ECT, rTMS) intervention, therapy/counsleing, and family/friend support for their mental illness (including depression).

CTE is neuropsychiatric in nature. There is a chronic pattern of irreversible damage that has psychiatric manifestations that mimic dementia and often times with behavioral disturbance. The question is how do you reverse this brain damage? If that can be solved, then all the manifestations of CTE will not occur.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

Damn...if you are serious, please get some help ASAP! 

I’m under management. Once a psych finally diagnosed me with traumatic brain injury and gave proper meds for moods.   But the forgetting stuff is getting worse.  

I often am At a place and forget why I am there. Like in an airport or mall or even driving for example. And I panic. 

in fact what made me post this was that I forgot to pick up daughter this am and she reminded me twice.  I told her she didn’t and she said check your phone.  

I told her ok I would be there. 

younall do know how frustrating this is. 

Edited by Gardner Barnes
  • Like 1

Situational depression and clinical depression are two very different types of depression.

I think what twice horn is saying is correct about clinical and what you are saying is correct about situational.

I’d be willing to wager that Jevan suffered from clinical depression prior and the situational depression compounded the matter.

16 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

i forget shit. Mood swings. People tell my wife I have changed.  Not going to lie that say i have haven’t thought about suicide.   Forgetting shit all the time Is frustrating. 

It was brave of you to admit that publicly.  The next step is to seek professional help.  Please do.  You (and your family) are worth it.

I’m under management. Once a psych finally diagnosed me with traumatic brain injury and gave proper meds.   But the forgetting stuff is getting worse.  

I often am At a place and forget why I am there. Like in an airport or mall or even driving for example. And I panic. 

Have you tried carrying a notebook around with stuff that you have planned and etc so you can remind yourself?

It’s what my grandpa did with Alzheimer’s before it got too bad. He’d carry the litte pocket size notepad with him.

It really helped him a lot.

4 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I’m under management. Once a psych finally diagnosed me with traumatic brain injury and gave proper meds.   But the forgetting stuff is getting worse.  

I often am At a place and forget why I am there. 

There are not enough evidence-based studies yet, but this seems promising:

https://www.amenclinics.com/blog/nfl-legend-joe-namath-says-hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy-healed-his-damaged-brain/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190124124742.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6352566/

(The last two links are related with the latter link being the formal case study write-up).

I do not want to sound morbid here, but if you feel that your memory loss is getting worse, make sure you have your will/power of attorney and other legal documents in order, just in case.

Have you tried carrying a notebook around with stuff that you have planned and etc so you can remind yourself?

It’s what my grandpa did with Alzheimer’s before it got too bad. He’d carry the litte pocket size notepad with him.

It really helped him a lot.

I put it in my phone.  But I know where this is headed and im truly terrified. 

I’m just hoping I can hold on long enough to see my daughters graduate college and maybe walk them down the aisle. 

anyone that says cte isn’t real is a fucking asshole. 

Edited by Gardner Barnes
  • Like 8

I put it in my phone.  But I know where this is headed and im truly terrified. 

Oh good thinking and yeah I’m sure it’s scary. I know we don’t know each other but we’ve been acquainted through shaggy and surly for 10+ years so if you ever need to reach out to me to just talk or whatever don’t be afraid to do so.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Situational depression and clinical depression are two very different types of depression.

I think what twice horn is saying is correct about clinical and what you are saying is correct about situational.

I’d be willing to wager that Jevan suffered from clinical depression prior and the situational depression compounded the matter.

But they are both assessed and treated in similar manners. While you may not treat "situational depression" [more formally known as adjustment disorder with depressed mood (provided the correct time parameters)] with antidepressant therapy, you would be a terrible practitioner if you did not send that patient for therapy, have a meeting with the patient's family to educate them how to help the patient, and encourage the patient to exercise/engage in safe, healthy, and pleasurable activities and be in regular communication with their support system. The notion that the majority of patients simply became depressed one day without any form of trigger (regardless of the nature of the trigger) is inaccurate.

Edited by UDontKnow

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

But they are both assessed and treated in similar manners. While you may not treat "situational depression" [more formally known as adjustment disorder with depressed mood (provided the correct time parameters)] with antidepressant therapy, you would be a terrible practitioner if you did not send that patient for therapy, have a meeting with the patient's family to educate them how to help the patient, and encourage the patient to exercise/engage in safe, healthy, and pleasurable activities and be in regular communication with their support system. The notion that the majority of patients simply became depressed one day without any form of trigger (regardless of the nature of the trigger) is inaccurate.

Twice Horn is mking a hugely important distinction. If you get a diagnosis of stage 4 cancer, you're likely to be pretty depressed. But meds are going to be entirely useless for you.  If you feel like something is wrong and that your whole world has changed and that you can barely get out of bed and you don't know what's going on but death would be a relief, that's brain chemistry and you need meds and talk therapy is useless for you. 

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Oh good thinking and yeah I’m sure it’s scary. I know we don’t know each other but we’ve been acquainted through shaggy and surly for 10+ years so if you ever need to reach out to me to just talk or whatever don’t be afraid to do so.

This right here.  It may be easier to tell complete strangers what you are going through than family or friends.  I cannot imagine how scary what you are going through must be.  Good luck.  Maybe make a thread in IPIHB if you don't want to divulge too much personal stuff?

11 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Twice Horn is mking a hugely important distinction. If you get a diagnosis of stage 4 cancer, you're likely to be pretty depressed. But meds are going to be entirely useless for you.  If you feel like something is wrong and that your whole world has changed and that you can barely get out of bed and you don't know what's going on but death would be a relief, that's brain chemistry and you need meds and talk therapy is useless for you. 

Image result for Wrong gif"

What kind of medical/mental health practitioner are you? Antidepressants are prescribed to terminal patients regularly (https://www.cancernetwork.com/oncology-journal/antidepressants-patients-advanced-cancer-when-theyre-warranted-and-how-choose-therapy). Show me evidence-based research where talk therapy is useless in any setting of depression. 

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Image result for Wrong gif"

What kind of medical/mental health practitioner are you? Antidepressants are prescribed to terminal patients all the time. Show me evidence-based research where talk therapy is useless in any setting of depression. 

What medical problem do you solve with talking? I don't doubt you can make people feel better, that wasn't the point. The same thing is true of talk therapy for people who aren't depressed, you can ask them afterwards and say they they'll feel better. 

Twice's point was that there is a medical problem, and a nonmedical problem. He's correct.

Edited by Thetexashammer

10 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

What medical problem do you solve with talking? I don't doubt you can make people feel better, that wasn't the point. The same thing is true of talk therapy for people who aren't depressed, you can ask them afterwards and say they they'll feel better. 

Wow. I don't even know where to begin with this response. Are you suggesting that psychotherapy (colloquially known as talk therapy or counseling therapy) has not been studied and demonstrated to be an evidence-based form of treatment for depression? Or are you simply spewing falsehoods that some poor sap reading this board might accept as truth?

Do you know that for milder forms of depression psychotherapy alone (no antidepressant therapy) can be effective to treat it? Psychotherapy is simply not talking about your situation, it's also about learning and actively practicing coping mechanisms ranging from keeping a journal to breathing exercises (especially if there is a strong anxiety component) to learning when to walk away from situations that might make one feel worse. Mental health stresses an interdisciplinary approach to healing patients. It's not as simple as meds work for only this and talk therapy works for only that.

Please do not talk out of your ass because you could do some real harm to posters that come to this board looking for help and support.

EDIT: Please see the line of TwiceHorn's point that I bolded and responded to. I'm not having a medical and non-medical debate, although that too is stupid when talking about mental health. You employ a multidisciplinary approach regards of the cause of depression.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Wow. I don't even know where to begin with this response. Are you suggesting that psychotherapy (colloquially known as talk therapy or counseling therapy) has not been studied and demonstrated to be an evidence-based form of treatment for depression? Or are you simply spewing falsehoods that some poor sap reading this board might accept as truth?

Do you know that for milder forms of depression psychotherapy alone (no antidepressant therapy) can be effective to treat it? Psychotherapy is simply not talking about your situation, it's also about learning and actively practicing coping mechanisms ranging from keeping a journal to breathing exercises (especially if there is a strong anxiety component) to learning when to walk away from situations that might make one feel worse. Mental health stresses an interdisciplinary approach to healing patients. It's not as simple as meds work for only this and talk therapy works for only that.

Please do not talk out of your ass because you could do some real harm to posters that come to this board looking for help and support.

I haven't dealt with depression in most of my career, so you're more aware of this than I am, but I recall that a large majority of studies (including relatively long-term longitudinal) that investigate the issue find that therapy + medication is, by a meaningful margin, more effective than either alone. Correct?

4 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I haven't dealt with depression in most of my career, so you're more aware of this than I am, but I recall that a large majority of studies (including relatively long-term longitudinal) that investigate the issue find that therapy + medication is, by a meaningful margin, more effective than either alone. Correct?

There is growing evidence that the combination is more effective than either individual approach. However, this question is actively being studied because one size doesn't fit all (in terms of clinical presentations): https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.libproxy.unm.edu/pubmed/28193851. The contribution of each individual treatment modality in the combined approach has also been debated: https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.libproxy.unm.edu/pubmed/19922522. There is a recent study that did head-to-head (medication versus therapy) and found interesting results: https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.libproxy.unm.edu/pubmed/27439555 

I'm sure you're well aware that not all patients want to be on medication, some patients just want pills only because that's the culture we live in (thanks Big Pharma!), some patients don't want to spend a single moment in therapy (might be misinformed that it's a waste of time or uncomfortable opening up to a stranger), and some patients in therapy do not understand how to approach it so that it can help them. Keeping in respect with the patient's wishes, you (generally speaking) can not go wrong with a combined approach if the patient meets diagnostic criteria. Going for one therapy session won't kill anybody (it might actually improve long-term quality of life!) and yes, antidepressants can and do have side effects (including sexual ones which might make a patient less inclined to take the medication).  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm sure you're well aware that not all patients want to be on medication, some patients just want pills only because that's the culture we live in (thanks Big Pharma!), some patients don't want to spend a single moment in therapy (might be misinformed that it's a waste of time or uncomfortable opening up to a stranger), and some patients in therapy do not understand how to approach it so that it can help them. 

This is what I find concerning. If someone has a medical illness (MDD), your talk therapy is not only useless to cure the underlying problem, but by providing a treatment doomed to fail, and this was my personal experience, you make the underlying medical illness worse and delayed necessary and important pharmacologic treatment.

You can assume I'm not talking about mild depression. That is an entirely different subject. People who need avoid meds out of ignorance and because of the stigma. That is why Twice's point is so important.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Thetexashammer said:

This is what I find concerning. If someone has a medical illness (MDD), you're talk therapy is not only useless to cure the underlying problem, but by providing a treatment doomed to fail, and this was my personal experience, you make the underlying medical illness worse and delayed necessary and important poharmacologic treatment.

You can assume I'm not talking about mild depression. That is an entirely different subject.

Which medical illness? MDD can also mean major depressive disorder. I'm sorry you had such an experience. If I were treating a severe case (especially in setting of acute comorbid medical illness), I would definitely initiate pharmacologic treatment and potentially refer for ECT if severe enough (provided no medical contraindications). If the patient also has the cognitive capacity and can properly engage, I would still recommend psychotherapy simultaneously because there are benefits to be gained from it that can not be conferred by biological treatment alone.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with mental health treatment and hope you never have said experience again, but it's not a black and white situation and it's incorrect to speak in absolutes. Everyone's case and situation is different and it's a lot more gray than you might be aware of.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Pretty sure the point was he didn’t believe him.  

But no way Urban would ever lie to a recruit. 

Snead and Tebow had been in numerous QB camps together.  The Florida boards were filled with daily "Will he go to Alabama because he likes their coach - or Florida because of his Gator parents?"  Tebow threads.

So while Urbs was/is a snake oil peddler,  he was/is very, very good at it.   That sounds more like a joke  Meyer would say about a QB that everyone knew we wanted.   NOT because Meyer is above lying, but because that would have been a stupid,  easy to prove false lie that gained him little.  Not saying it did not happen, but it would not be top-of-his-game Meyer lying.   

If true, most coaches would just shrug and say

spacer.png

Go away....'crootin'

Edited by Gatorubet

I didn't mean to discount the role of trauma in depression.

Nonetheless, many laypeople try to tie significant depression to some specific thing as in "Snead was bummed out about not getting to start at Texas," ergo he's depressed.  It's generally more complex than that, as indicated.

I think most decent psychs, as in UDontknow, would not do medication therapy without some cognitive/talk therapy and most decent therapists are probably going to recommend a visit with a psych once the problem is diagnosed.

• Like 2

UDon't, I had a friend who killed himself a couple of years ago. Wife was eight months pregnant. I don't want to put words in your mouth, so I won't. I don't know what he was or wasn't being treated for at the time. Most likely it was nothing. 

When you say it "we give everything to everybody and the distinction doesn't matter", I get very uncomfortable. My friend needed meds. In my head I picture him getting CBT or whatever. The meds save lives. You can't talk someone out of depression, and as I pointed out, you can make it worse if you fail to treat the underlying condition. Again, not talking about mild depression, for reason you know.

You seem to be suggesting there no distinction between needing meds and not needing them. I think there is.

1 minute ago, Thetexashammer said:

UDon't, I had a friend who killed himself a couple of years ago. Wife was eight months pregnant. I don't want to put words in your mouth, so I won't. I don't know what he was or wasn't being treated for at the time. Most likely it was nothing. 

When you say it "we give everything to everybody and the distinction doesn't matter", I get very uncomfortable. My friend needed meds. In my head I picture him getting CBT or whatever. The meds save lives. You can't talk someone out of depression, and as I pointed out, you can make it worse if you fail to treat the underlying condition. Again, not talking about mild depression, for reason you know.

You seem to be suggesting there no distinction between needing meds and not needing them. I think there is.

You're welcome to continue this dialogue with me via PM because it's starting to clutter the thread, so this will be my last post on the topic. 

I am sorry about your friend who took his life. I do not know the situation and it appears likely that medications may have been helpful in his case if his situation was identified early enough and if medication treatment was started immediately after identification. Most mental health is delivered by your friendly Primary Care doctors. God Bless them because they have it rough and they deal with every issue coming through the door. The lion's share of patients that go to psychiatrists have suspected mental health problems that are either acute or above the level of comfort that Primary Care doctors have in treating suspected mental health problems.

So what, who cares? My point is that for the patient population that I treat for depression, over 90% are being prescribed antidepressants. So I am not suggesting that there is "no distinction between needing meds and not needing them." The majority of patients I have on antidepressants believe that the medication is an all-cure, a magic bullet and I have to regularly counsel them that it is an inaccurate view. I try to get them to embrace a global "wellness view" meaning (in addition to their prescribed antidepressant) healthy diet, adequate amount of exercise, avoidance of tobacco and alcohol (alcohol is a depressant), and psychotherapy so that they can learn to cope with life stressors that either cause and/or exacerbate existing depression.

I never withhold the prescription of approved, evidence-based pharmacologic treatment for any mental health condition, including depression, especially if the patient feels it would be of benefit, but at the same time, I never force prescribed antidepressants on an unwilling patient either. Just as crucial as it is for me to provide a professional opinion, is my duty to educate and empower a patient while respecting their decisions when it comes to their health. I hope this clears up any confusion and again, you're welcome to continue corresponding with me via PM.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

sorry to read that.

anything else I could say would be insufficient, but there is help out there and I hope it's doing you some good.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I didn't mean to discount the role of trauma in depression.

Nonetheless, many laypeople try to tie significant depression to some specific thing as in "Snead was bummed out about not getting to start at Texas," ergo he's depressed.  It's generally more complex than that, as indicated.

I think most decent psychs, as in UDontknow, would not do medication therapy without some cognitive/talk therapy and most decent therapists are probably going to recommend a visit with a psych once the problem is diagnosed.

Absolutely; however, what I see in my end of care (pharmacy, but only for a little while-) is that patients get antidepressants thrown at them with little follow up and no recommendation at all for counseling, psychologist time, etc.  mediocre outcomes and a therapeutic disaster, IMO.

10 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

Absolutely; however, what I see in my end of care (pharmacy, but only for a little while-) is that patients get antidepressants thrown at them with little follow up and no recommendation at all for counseling, psychologist time, etc.  mediocre outcomes and a therapeutic disaster, IMO.

Gynos and GPs slinging em pretty often and have been for a while.  To be fair to them, it's not their area and many/most of their patients would accept a scrip but not a referral to a psych.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:33 PM, 4th&Five said:

I’m surprised there haven’t been states that have banned tackle football yet for HS and younger. 

Based on what I know, the first state to do that would be MA.  A surprisingly high number of high schools don't play football there. I think it's related that the Ivy league sits out the FCS playoffs.  It's fine playing each other, but no way do they want their students banging heads with the likes of NDSU and James Madison.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

11 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I’m an SFA alumnus (albeit a few years after your reign). If I can ever help you in any way, any time hit me up. #AxeEm