Congratulations to the UK...

Armybrat

Icono has stated that he considers Ataturk and Shah Reza Pahlavi personal heroes and in case you haven't noticed is a vocal proponent of their nationalist ideas. Ataturk a proto-facist served as an inspiration for the Nazis. Pahlavi was a bit to chummy with Nazi Germany and the Brits had to intervene and remove the dude from power. The Turks and Persians have a fairly deep history to authoritarian nationalism which is antithetical to Western Liberal Democracy and American values.

If anything, Icono's views are foreign to America and the ideas of the Enlightenment. He is in no place to opine on what or who fits into America.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

Icono has stated that he considers Ataturk and Shah Reza Pahlavi personal heroes and in case you haven't noticed is a vocal proponent of their nationalist ideas. Ataturk a proto-facist served as an inspiration for the Nazis. Pahlavi was a bit to chummy with Nazi Germany and the Brits had to intervene and remove the dude from power. The Turks and Persians have a fairly deep history to authoritarian nationalism which is antithetical to Western Liberal Democracy and American values.

If anything, Icono's views are foreign to America and the ideas of the Enlightenment. He is in no place to opine on what or who fits into America.

Yep. He loves him some fascists. But he's also misguided in his support of white Christian ethnofascism if he actually gives a shit about his own wellbeing.  At best, he'd be kicked out of his Trumpist dream nation.  

While he has railed against Persians checking any other box except "white" on census forms, he doesn't realize that his own self-identification doesn't matter at all to Richard Spencer.  It really isn't wise for him to ally with the same type of folks that made sure Homer Plessy, with  1 black and 7 white great-grandparents, could not be considered "white."

1 hour ago, Zombie said:

I didn't realize that Icono guy was himself an immigrant. The audacity for him to look down on Mexican immigrants is impressive considering the massive positive impact those immigrants have had on America and the length of time they have been coming compared to his recent immigration status.

Why don't you do us all a favor and go back to where you came from. That's the favorite Trumpkin line, right?

Pretty sure he was born in the US, but his parents may have come over from Iran. He certainly won’t deny that the Islamist takeover played a role in his family’s migration. Still, that shouldn’t be the response. He’s an American through and through.

But the ironic hypocrisy of his nativist attitude shouldn’t be lost on anyone. Just as his family ran away from a shitty situation to come to a stable and generally welcoming country with a long history of integrating far flung immigrant populations and offering them a chance at prosperity, so too are these Somalis.

While I was only a small child when the US embassy in Tehran was taken, I can distinctly recall the open hostility of Americans against any and all Iranians. Hell, one of my classmates wore a t-shirt to elementary school with Mickey Mouse flipping the bird to Iran on it, and he was not sent home.

Today, this country is home to thousands of Iranian-Americans that were once thought to have no place in our culture (like any number of other “foreign invasions”). But as proof positive that our country can and will eventually integrate them, we have Icono here acting like a redneck Bubba from backwoods Deep East Texas telling us “those people” just don’t belong.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, workswithseed said:

This has been a fucking thread. 

Aren't they all?  But if OP didn't want a cloak room thread, he probably should have lead with something other than his congratulatory opinion. 

You Trumpists need to remember how actual news works.  It doesn't offer an opinion.  I know you're used to Fox and all but:

Fact (what should be Daily Texan forum): UK leaves the EU today.  Here are some news snippets regarding this, but I offer no opinion.

Opinion(what should be Politics forum): Congrats to the UK on their emancipation.  (And actually the origin of this thread)

So you assholes posted your political opinions in the wrong place.  And you expect, what, a safe place for xenophobic opinion here?  Is that it?  Daily Texan is for facts, not opinions. Quit being bitches like iconoclast. There's no safe place for xenophobia. If you support it, be a man and support it in the opinion forum.

We all agree on the actual daily Texan news item. Brexit happened. All the other discussion can happily happen elsewhere, including the OPs.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Aren't they all?  But if OP didn't want a cloak room thread, he probably should have lead with something other than his congratulatory opinion. 

You Trumpists need to remember how actual news works.  It doesn't offer an opinion.  I know you're used to Fox and all but:

Fact (what should be Daily Texan forum): UK leaves the EU today.  Here are some news snippets regarding this, but I offer no opinion.

Opinion(what should be Politics forum): Congrats to the UK on their emancipation.  (And actually the origin of this thread)

So you assholes posted your political opinions in the wrong place.  And you expect, what, a safe place for xenophobic opinion here?  Is that it?  Daily Texan is for facts, not opinions. Quit being bitches like iconoclast. There's no safe place for xenophobia. If you support it, be a man and support it in the opinion forum.

We all agree on the actual daily Texan news item. Brexit happened. All the other discussion can happily happen elsewhere, including the OPs.

Hey, there's only one problem with your entire diatribe. 

https://vote.conservatives.com/our-plan

Here's there actual plan on it. I don't hear you crying that Australia is xenophobic.

Also If I'm a Trumpster, then you're a Nazi. It makes as much sense as you crying that Great Britain will shrivel up and die from 

Awe, sorry y'all can't handle the "xenophobia" coming from text. You might wanna stay cr.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Hey, there's only one problem with your entire diatribe. 

https://vote.conservatives.com/our-plan

Here's there actual plan on it. I don't hear you crying that Australia is xenophobic.

Also If I'm a Trumpster, then you're a Nazi. It makes as much sense as you crying that Great Britain will shrivel up and die from 

Awe, sorry y'all can't handle the "xenophobia" coming from text. You might wanna stay cr.

32 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Ah, the Trumpster card! Lulz.

”Not guilty” fo’shizzle. 🤺

You guys are seriously going to double down on a congratulatory Brexit thread isn't political? Bold strategy.

On 2/9/2020 at 1:47 AM, Helobious said:

Mexico used to extend almost to present-day Canada, it wasn’t just Texas. Hate when foreigners like you don’t even bother to learn about American history. Call yourself a gringo all you want, you’ll always be a raghead to the people you most want to fit in with. 

SInce we're parcing various parts of our history in support of whichever argument we fancy, let's not forget that prior to the battles with Texas and the US, mexico ceded VAST swaths of territory the the fledgling US.

Not for altruistic reasons, but to allow idealistic settlers to become a 'carnal shield' to the raiding Conanches (see earlier Comanche/Mexico wars).  Wars that decimated northern Mexico.  In the plains.  On horseback.  With the weapons and technology of the day.  The Comanches were unmatched.  The oncoming settlers were slaughtered wholesale, giving the Mexicans a bit of reprieve....who knew full well what would happen when settlers dared intrude into Comancheria.

• Like 4

Just now, Hate said:

My Great-Great-Great Grandfather was the Sheriff of Llano county fighting the Comanches on the frontier during the Civil War years.  He was posthumously made a Texas Ranger for those years of service. 

Wife and I were out walking the dogs a few nights back.  She commented about how bright the moon was.  How much you could see.  Prompting my response to what I learned as a kid was called a "Comanche Moon".  The stories my g-mother told me...that were told to her when she was only a child about her mother and g-mother locking themselves in the cellar and the men staying up all night in desperation and fear on nights exactly like the one we leisurely walked our dogs around the neighborhood.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

From limeys pissing on the EU to Comanche slaughtering Mexicans & gringo settlers. Good stuff!

Point being that history is both nuanced, and messy.  Full of expansion and self-interest.  And if we want to bring it back to Brexit - is what we are seeing again.  A country fed up with the changing political tides and looking to take back more control over how they govern their own affairs.  We shall see.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I have no doubt you believe it was political from the start.

Also some do seem to keep Trump rent free in their heads.

Well, it's not believe, it was in fact political .

On the second, no doubt, but that doesn't obviate the first part.

53 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

A country fed up with the changing political tides and looking to take back more control over how they govern their own affairs.

I'm not sure how many times this has to be hammered home, but no, they didn't take back control of anything. I feel like my face is going to melt sometimes when I read this idiocy over and over.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I'm not sure how many times this has to be hammered home, but no, they didn't take back control of anything. I feel like my face is going to melt sometimes when I read this idiocy over and over.

Oh, so the annual payments to the EU are going to continue?  Or EU law in the UK?  So the jurisdiction of the CJEU is going to be maintained (court of justic of the EU)?  Uk courts are going to continue to refer cases to them?   

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Oh, so the annual payments to the EU are going to continue?  Or EU law in the UK?  So the jurisdiction of the CJEU is going to be maintained (court of justic of the EU)?  Uk courts are going to continue to refer cases to them?   

I mean, I'm glad you dropped the immigration pretense, but you do realize these are all decisions the British government made, right? Not the EU? Britain could have done as much or little as they wanted over the years.

The fact is, and always will be, the British politicians have been using the EU as a bogeyman for their own decisions for decades. They do things like let in cheap labor to pump up equities and enrich themselves, then play nativist and blame Brussels for all them foriegners to get votes. They've actually made it worse now by stopping the subsidies to the impoverished area of their own country (which the swear they will replace LOL). The upside is they are getting ready to be unable to duck the responsibility.

The British populace has been systematically manipulated to put people in power by letting themselves be snookered into blaming someone else (scary Angela Merkel) for the poor decisions of their own politicians. And honestly, I'm a unabashed devotee of cause and effect. I hope the ones that were dumb enough to get snowed by this get fucked in the ass deep and hard, just like the rust belt of America. And I say that as a massive Anglophile with many, many British friends.

Edit:TL;DR You guys have been gaslighted like a motherfucker.

Edited by G650
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean, I'm glad you dropped the immigration pretense, but you do realize these are all decisions the British government made, right? Not the EU? Britain could have done as much or little as they wanted over the years.

The fact is, and always will be, the British politicians have been using the EU as a bogeyman for their own decisions for decades. They do things like let in cheap labor to pump up equities and enrich themselves, then play nativist and blame Brussels for all them foriegners to get votes. They've actually made it worse now by stopping the subsidies to the impoverished area of their own country (which the swear they will replace LOL). The upside is they are getting ready to be unable to duck the responsibility.

The British populace has been systematically manipulated to put people in power by letting themselves be snookered into blaming someone else (scary Angela Merkel) for the poor decisions of their own politicians. And honestly, I'm a unabashed devotee of cause and effect. I hope the ones that were dumb enough to get snowed by this get fucked in the ass deep and hard, just like the rust belt of America. And I say that as a massive Anglophile with many, many British friends.

Edit:TL;DR You guys have been gaslighted like a motherfucker.

yeah, 100% this. our hq is in london, and i would be willing to bet, to a person, that office would be 95% - 100% remain. but they are the educated elites. there are also many, many eu folks that work there that will have to sort out visa status as this process comes to completion. 

it was the same people voting for brexit in england that voted for trump in america. the people from the middle of the country that feel like the europeans (in our case, mexicans) are taking their jobs. the polish and spanish working the reception desks at hotel ibis are not taking the fucking cotton mills in lancashire over, to use a historical reference. those mills aren't reopening. it's the same thing with the coal industry in appalachia. those jobs are not going to come back. the economy has moved on. the mexicans are not taking the coal or auto manufacturing jobs any more than the russians and polish are taking the dockside jobs in liverpool. 

the parallels between the vote for brexit and the vote for trump are remarkable. it's....almost like the same people were behind both episodes.

• Like 3

On 2/9/2020 at 4:34 AM, workswithseed said:

Mexico shouldn't have been such a dictatorship, that Santa Anna killed all the rebellions so gruesomely. Mexico couldn't even hold thier claim, hell the Republic barely could hold it. Fuck the Mexicans, it's no different than the Civil War losers saying the South will rise again.

oh boy

22 minutes ago, G650 said:

but you do realize these are all decisions the British government made, right? Not the EU? Britain could have done as much or little as they wanted over the years.

So, had the UK simply wanted to remain in the EU and stop all annual payments to the EU, that would have been just fine?  

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it was the same people voting for brexit in england that voted for trump in america

There it is.....

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it was the same people voting for brexit in england that voted for trump in america.

I know we have some lax voter ID laws, but letting a bunch of Limeys vote in our election seems a bit much.  Besides, I thought it was the Russians that got Trump elected, not the British.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Highly doubt that.  And assuming they would, it would bear witness to how fragile and desparate they are.  From the payments, to the decisions of the courts, to the beforementioned debt crisis everyone is so flippant about (as I'm sure most were back in 2007-8) that many EU banks STILL have not recovered from.  Everyone here remember how "gaslit" we all were decades back when the EU was roasted when they chose not to switch from the Pound to the Euro.  I do.  We can bookmark this page when Germany is spending billions upon billions to bail out the failing states in the EU who are drowing in debt and contracting economic growth.  Just as easy fix.  Continue to float the debt and print money.  What could go wrong....

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

So I looked up Schengen as the UK's status had never occurred to me. They are not in Schengen, even though they could have been, since you need not be EU to qualify. So I don't think Brexit directly influences anything for better or worse.

I ddi read some interesting stuff about Ireland. Northen Ireland voted to Remain. Their assembly also voted "not to approve" the Brexit deal, a matter on which of course they had no authority to opine. Allegedly, there were no dissenters.

The Economist is saying this will lead to reunification. Text of the Economist piece. I never even knew this was an option. I wonder N Ireland will hold a referendum.

It's different from Scotland because Ireland is already in the EU. Scotland would not qualify for the EU because of their deficit, which makes the independence threat a bit of a joke, although it is "credible" it is also quite stupid unless they can grow out of their dependence. It's shite being scottish, lowest of the low, scum of the earth, being colonized by wankers, ruled by effete assholes. Deal with it I guess.

20 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I ddi read some interesting stuff about Ireland. Northen Ireland voted to Remain. Their assembly also voted "not to approve" the Brexit deal, a matter on which of course they had no authority to opine. Allegedly, there were no dissenters.

The Economist is saying this will lead to reunification. Text of the Economist piece. I never even knew this was an option. I wonder N Ireland will hold a referendum.

I am not sure if the Republicans in N.I. have the votes for unification at the moment, there are still a lot of die hard Unionists in N.I. who's butt's pucker at the idea of being under complete Irish rule. I've read that there is a growing number of disenfranchised Unionists/Protestants that feel as if they were abandoned by Westminster.

It will be interesting to see if enough of them might be persuaded to leave. Either way, the Irish population is close to overtaking them and will eventually have the votes. Although with a Sinn Fein lead government in Ireland and Northern Ireland the two countries will likely act as one, especially if you consider the Irish born in N.I. are entitled to ROI citizenship which is a backdoor to EU citizenship. Currently they have a virtual United Ireland, unless the English step in and try and muck it up.

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

In 2018 we didn’t have to wait in the Heathrow immigration. No line at all.

I once got stuck in immigration at the Madrid airport with two other non-EU citizens. It was me, Hakeem Olajuwon and his agent. We hung out and talked for over an hour.

Once we were released and began to part ways, I yelled "Hakeem!" and as he looked at me I ripped open my shirt to reveal my David Robinson chest tattoo while yelling "behold the greatest Center of all time!"

/csb

Ok, the David Robinson tattoo part didn't happen.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, F250 said:

I once got stuck in immigration at the Madrid airport with two other non-EU citizens. It was me, Hakeem Olajuwon and his agent. We hung out and talked for over an hour.

Once we were released and began to part ways, I yelled "Hakeem!" and as he looked at me I ripped open my shirt to reveal my David Robinson chest tattoo while yelling "behold the greatest Center of all time!"

/csb

Bro, seriously, the fuck outta here with that bullshit. In 1995 they went head to head for six games in the Conference Championship. Dream schooled The Admiral. Mad love for the Admiral, but Dream was better and it's not close.

Edited by Thetexashammer

47 minutes ago, F250 said:

/csb

But you ripped your shirt open, and wanted his love child right ?