Congratulations to the UK...

Armybrat

On 2/14/2020 at 11:58 AM, F250 said:

I am not sure if the Republicans in N.I. have the votes for unification at the moment, there are still a lot of die hard Unionists in N.I. who's butt's pucker at the idea of being under complete Irish rule. I've read that there is a growing number of disenfranchised Unionists/Protestants that feel as if they were abandoned by Westminster.

It will be interesting to see if enough of them might be persuaded to leave. Either way, the Irish population is close to overtaking them and will eventually have the votes. Although with a Sinn Fein lead government in Ireland and Northern Ireland the two countries will likely act as one, especially if you consider the Irish born in N.I. are entitled to ROI citizenship which is a backdoor to EU citizenship. Currently they have a virtual United Ireland, unless the English step in and try and muck it up.

You know this but lemme see if I can put it into words. England and the EU still have to figure out how the border between the EU (Irleand) and the UK (N Ireland) will work. It should have been negotiated before Brexit but Boris Johnson/ Teresa May and cohorts speak out of both sides of their mouths, and after years of negotiations there was no resolution. Each side wants or has an interest in the free flow of people and goods between NI and the Ireland but now that they're countries with 2 different immigration, import and export laws they'll need a hard border -- the question is how do you put a hard border between NI and Ireland without causing a huge problem for both? There's been no mutually agreeable way to do it. Thus, the impasse and there's no foreseeable resolution that works out well for both the Irish and the English. That's one reason why many think Brexit will lead to Irish reunification and further fuckage for "the Crown."

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Chopper said:

You know this but lemme see if I can put it into words. England and the EU still have to figure out how the border between the EU (Irleand) and the UK (N Ireland) will work. It should have been negotiated before Brexit but Boris Johnson/ Teresa May and cohorts speak out of both sides of their mouths, and after years of negotiations there was no resolution. Each side wants or has an interest in the free flow of people and goods between NI and the Ireland but now that they're countries with 2 different immigration, import and export laws they'll need a hard border -- the question is how do you put a hard border between NI and Ireland without causing a huge problem for both? There's been no mutually agreeable way to do it. Thus, the impasse and there's no foreseeable resolution that works out well for both the Irish and the English. That's one reason why many think Brexit will lead to Irish reunification and further fuckage for "the Crown."

The laws of Celestial mechisnics dictate  that when two objects collide there will be damage of a collateral nature.

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Just as long as The Guinness keeps flowing.

You've hit the nail on the head. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. England is not going to be able to import goods below EU-standards from China or Vietnam or even the US, and then send it on to the EU. It will be interesting to say the least to see how their trade and border problems get resolved. 

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

As long as it gets resolved to the satisfaction of the Irish.... after centuries of English domination.

I'm all for that. But I wonder what the Pro-Brexit, No Deal Conservatives who were claiming to be pro-British and actually claiming to have more patriotism for the UK than those didn't want to leave the EU think. Perhaps the greatest irony of brexit will be Irish reunification.

• 8 months later...