Relocation Suggestions?

Atxracer

2 hours ago, Nuge said:

I live in Vancouver, WA and dig it.

Basically a suburb of Portland, Oregon but with 250,000 people complete with a downtown, restaurants, breweries, weed shops and a quick hop over to Oregon for the airport, world class restaurants and concerts.

WA has no income tax.  OR has no sales tax.  Live in WA, shop in OR.

The schools are pretty good.  My son is enrolled in the Mandarin Immersion program at a local (public) elementary school.

Portland has a track - https://www.portlandraceway.com/

There are mountains, rivers, great summers, and mild temperatures.  The winters are gray and rainy but its not as bad as people think.  Just gives you more time to drink whiskey.

The Portland airport https://www.flypdx.com/ has been named the best in the country for the last 7 years in a row by Travel & Leisure magazine.  https://pdx.com/Newsroom/PDX-Named-Best-Domestic-Airport-2019-by-Travel-and-Leisure

Housing is still somewhat affordable - though it is getting more pricey.  Thanks California!

My wife's from Vancouver. It has always struck me as Portland's redneck brother that no one likes to acknowledge. And quick hop over to Oregon? Maybe on Sunday afternoon and Christmas day.

Is the OP really sure he wants any part of this crazy...  just another day in paradise.  

As agents sprayed an SUV with bullets while it plowed through two security checkpoints near President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club, the driver managed to elude authorities in her bullet-ridden car.

Her next stop: the West Palm Beach airport to pick up her mother, according to sources familiar with the Friday incident.

Hannah Roemhild, 30, a trained opera soprano singer, picked up her mother at Palm Beach International Airport and together they checked into a local motel, where authorities tracked her down and arrested her that afternoon.

Edited by Loco

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I love it, quick ride to the coast. Great golf. 

I hear you.  Also close to great hunting.  In fairness, I have really only been there for business with the exception of a day trip to Sea World or overnight to the Riverwalk.  

5 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

I hear you.  Also close to great hunting.  In fairness, I have really only been there for business with the exception of a day trip to Sea World or overnight to the Riverwalk.  

I like the area south of downtown and my family lives out towards Helotes 

I’ve never lived somewhere cold but starting to dislike the heat more than cold so think I would be ok with it.  Could be a grass is greener thing.  Definitely going to research it. 
Snow gets old quick. I started hating it's existence by the third snowfall. Shit sucks. It gets gnarly quickly, the shoveling, the salt wear on your car, the danger in driving in it, the dry ass air.
I haven't been to Savannah but have been to Charleston a couple of times. I get the impression Charleston has more to offer as a true city. Does that make sense?
I've never been to Charleston but I think these towns are close to one another. Savannah is great but it's a small town. Maybe live in one and visit the other on occasion.

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

I haven't been to Savannah but have been to Charleston a couple of times. I get the impression Charleston has more to offer as a true city. Does that make sense?

The beauty of Savannah for me is the old part of town.  If you're not there, you shouldn't be anywhere near there.  Charleston has a much larger big-city vibe, and I didn't like it as much as the old part of Savannah, but both are great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the OP's desire for "saltwater" related to . . . like, getting in the water?  If so, I don't think anything north of the Mason Dixon line makes a lot of sense, nor most of the west coast outside of SoCal.

6 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I don't care for Ft Meyers area. Too much/many strip malls and it felt like one huge suburb to me personally. I used to have to go there for business so my experience is fairly limited.

Not a fan, either.  The average age is something like 135.  For the OP, he'll have a dead social scene.  Mostly strip malls and Midwestern retirees.

Old Naples is nice but bring the money.

Charleston or Savanah is the answer to the OP's question.  

22 hours ago, Atxracer said:

That is certainly a factor.  If I do Chicago, it won't be in the burbs.  I have learned my lesson there.  

Honestly, really helpful.  That's not a place that was on my radar but is now.  

Definitely.  As much as it may surprise you, it's actually pretty far up on the list of priorities.  But, for those that haven't been bitten by "the drug", I totally get not understanding this.  Not only is it a priority for me, I full intend to have little man in a kart as soon as possible.  

Then I'd recommend Nashville but if the salt water thing is important, then Charleston.  (Although, Nashville has quick non stops to tons of coastal cities in Da Souf.  With Nashville, you get around the state income tax.)

Edited by Aqua Buddha

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the OP's desire for "saltwater" related to . . . like, getting in the water?  If so, I don't think anything north of the Mason Dixon line makes a lot of sense, nor most of the west coast outside of SoCal.

It really meant fishing, the smell and the views (beach and ocean you pervs). 

6 hours ago, Atxracer said:

I’ve never lived somewhere cold but starting to dislike the heat more than cold so think I would be ok with it.  Could be a grass is greener thing.  Definitely going to research it. 

A few weeks of cold weather is no problem but by February you're ready to gnaw your arm off to escape.  Plus at those northern latitudes you don't think about how short the days are in the winter until you've lived through it.  Seasonal affective disorder is a bitch.

I grew up in the midwest, and came to Texas because I hated the cold, even though it still got hot-as-almost-balls every summer.

In Texas, it truly gets hot as balls.  I haven't regretted my decision yet.  "The cold" seems abstract enough, but when you actually have to deal with the temperature, the wind, and nasty grimy slush, forget that.  But, we all have different preferences.

which part of Texas?  As mentioned, I grew up in Houston which I thought defined hot as balls. Then moved to Austin and, as crazy as it sounds, seems worse. Dallas would be better but don’t see me going there (again, no offense, but if you grew up in Houston you have an inherent aversion to Dallas). 

50 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

In fairness, those are solid differences. For here, my main bitches are the traffic, shitty allergies and traffic. Yes, I know I said traffic twice but you really can’t go north and south in this town.  

Nashville’s traffic sucks and really has no chance of improving because of the way the interstate system is laid out.

As far as the hot/cold debate, as I’ve gotten older I prefer heat. I can’t handle the cold any more and 5 years ago I would have said the exact opposite.

15 minutes ago, Brew said:

Nashville’s traffic sucks and really has no chance of improving because of the way the interstate system is laid out.

As far as the hot/cold debate, as I’ve gotten older I prefer heat. I can’t handle the cold any more and 5 years ago I would have said the exact opposite.

I've never liked cold, I've lived in SoCal my whole life, and I bitch when it's "cold" here.  I lived with a woman from Grand Forks ND for almost 10 years.  You can imagine the ways that she made fun of me when I complained about it being cold. 

22 hours ago, Nuge said:

I live in Vancouver, WA and dig it.

Basically a suburb of Portland, Oregon but with 250,000 people complete with a downtown, restaurants, breweries, weed shops and a quick hop over to Oregon for the airport, world class restaurants and concerts.

What's traffic to Portland like at or avoiding rush hour? What's the closest active volcano? The last one is a question my wife would ask.

On 1/31/2020 at 12:54 PM, Atxracer said:

Serious question...I think we are getting to the point with Austin to where we may want to consider living somewhere else mainly due to allergies and traffic.  If you could go anywhere in the US, where would you go?

Some relevant factors:

- I can do my job wherever there is internet and would likely work from home.

If you draw most of your income from your own business you should probably check with your cpa about income taxes and where it could be advantageous to live if you decide to live outside of Tx. For example, CA will tax you on all income if you spend at least half the year living in the state. And if your income is high enough they will request all types of documentation for you to prove that you lived out of state more than half the year. A very wealthy buddy got hammered by CA because he thought owning a house in Jackson Hole would be enough to allow him to claim living out of state. Some states only tax you on the portion you earn there - so if your business is based in Tx and you don't get income from the state in which you live, you might be able to avoid income tax altogether. Disclaimer, I'm not a cpa and only pay the taxes my cpa instructs me to pay.

Edited by Chopper

7 minutes ago, Loco said:

What's the water temp?     

IDK.  Cold as fuck, I'd imagine.  They say that the sea will be angry my friends, with massive waves offshore. @Sbbruin can you advise?  I hear it won't be a good day to go to Catalina tomorrow, wine mixer or not. 

EDIT.  62 Degrees water temp in Carlsbad, per https://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Carlsbad-City-Beach/seatemp

Edited by Gil Bang

21 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

IDK.  Cold as fuck, I'd imagine.  They say that the sea will be angry my friends, with massive waves offshore. @Sbbruin can you advise?  I hear it won't be a good day to go to Catalina tomorrow, wine mixer or not. 

EDIT.  62 Degrees water temp in Carlsbad, per https://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Carlsbad-City-Beach/seatemp

Avalon is 59.  Cooold.

Yep, gale forecasted tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

This is the fucking truth. Florida drivers absolutely suck ass and I've spent time driving in most states. Florida wins the maximum dumb fuck award for driving.

Edit - Side note, Michigan gets the honorable mention award for angry driving morons. 

And Orlando, should just be nuked from orbit. Only way to be sure.

You just have to forget the left lane is for passing and use the right lane for passing. Then FL driving isn’t nearly as bad. However, most of the time I spend on the interstate stuck behind idiots, they have out of state tags.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:03 PM, 'stache said:

I've considered relocation, and the city that intrigues me the most is Minneapolis.

Hard pass. Minneapolis for half of the year is fantastic, but their winters are more than just cold. 

But I do spend time in a lake home outside Minneapolis for a couple months a year. It’s a hard place to beat when your balls aren’t shriveling up inside you.

16 hours ago, Atxracer said:

which part of Texas?  As mentioned, I grew up in Houston which I thought defined hot as balls. Then moved to Austin and, as crazy as it sounds, seems worse. Dallas would be better but don’t see me going there (again, no offense, but if you grew up in Houston you have an inherent aversion to Dallas). 

Born in Houston, moved to San Antonio before first grade, college in Austin and pretty much my entire professional life in Dallas/Fort Worth. There's not enough money in the world -- well, I guess I have a price -- to live in Houston IMO because of the weather. I think it's that shitty. Yes, it gets hot AF in Dallas in July/August but at least you can be outside once the sun goes down.

Isn't the rising ocean already flooding Miami's streets as well as many below ground-level garages thanks to Miami's storm pipe system and their karst geology? Difficult to see Miami as a good long-term investment but if you have less than 20 years to live or money to burn...

23 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Born in Houston, moved to San Antonio before first grade, college in Austin and pretty much my entire professional life in Dallas/Fort Worth. There's not enough money in the world -- well, I guess I have a price -- to live in Houston IMO because of the weather. I think it's that shitty. Yes, it gets hot AF in Dallas in July/August but at least you can be outside once the sun goes down.

Yep. I’ll take 105 in Dallas over 95 in Houston. 

• Like 1

I feel like most of Florida is like this. I guess if there's a sea breeze it's not so bad but it can be unbearably hot. The further south you get, the worse it's gonna be.

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Hard pass. Minneapolis for half of the year is fantastic, but their winters are more than just cold. 

But I do spend time in a lake home outside Minneapolis for a couple months a year. It’s a hard place to beat when your balls aren’t shriveling up inside you.

Why don't you go purify yourself in the waters of lake minnetonka

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2020 at 3:11 PM, Telegraph_it said:

I’d do WY/ID (Jackson area) in the summer and FL coast in the winter. Why only live in one place when you can work from wherever 

Serious.  Got a buddy that has a small place in Ft Collins, CO and a small place in Cedar Park.  He spends the warmer months in Ft Collins and cooler months in CP.  Whichever one he is not staying at is being VRBOed.  He doesn’t have kids, though, which would complicate such a set up.

1 hour ago, Ellellelle said:
3 hours ago, C-Man said:

I feel like most of Florida is like this. I guess if there's a sea breeze it's not so bad but it can be unbearably hot. The further south you get, the worse it's gonna be.

Daytime heat isn’t that bad if you aren’t working in it. Once we are there about a week, you adapt and it is what it is. The nighttime heat is the part that can suck. In TN the day time temps are about the same as South FL and humidity is similar, but you can count on it cooling off late afternoon into the night all but the hottest weeks of the summer. In South FL it can be low 80’s every night and still hot.

Also, in South Florida, there are no seasons.  "Summer" lasts until November or whatever and it's still hot and humid.  Nashville has four seasons, although winter is cold but not COLD.

In true Surly fashion, I like how the OP talked about access to salt water and people are offering up Minneapolis.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Also, in South Florida, there are no seasons.  

LIES!   Today is full on winter.  High of 66 low of 50.  48% humidity & bright full sun light.  Every single native Floridian will be in a puffy jacket and maybe a hat.  Saw a guy this morning with gloves on.

He is generally correct though  ... Summer, summer, spring, spring...  repeat

Flew in to Spokane once and drove to Glacier NP. A highlight of the trip was the Idaho panhandle. Absolutely stunning. I would definitely consider it if I was looking in that part of the country.

I just took a looksey at lake front property listings and they aren’t a secret up there. Wow.

4 hours ago, Brew said:

Daytime heat isn’t that bad if you aren’t working in it. Once we are there about a week, you adapt and it is what it is. The nighttime heat is the part that can suck. In TN the day time temps are about the same as South FL and humidity is similar, but you can count on it cooling off late afternoon into the night all but the hottest weeks of the summer. In South FL it can be low 80’s every night and still hot.

My MIL (GF's mom, really) lives in Palm Beach.  Her AC went out...in NOVEMBER.  Despite being a tightwad, she immediately "called the man" and dropped 5 grand the repair.   November. 

Coeur d’Alene was what I was specifically looking at. I assume Montana is overrun now knowing how expensive places there can get.

I have friends in Columbia Falls. It’s going upscale quickly but they bought a 3,000 sq ft house with a full basement and mountain views for $320K two years ago.