Fixing crack in bathroom sink

Viper

10 hours ago, woohorn said:

Gonna look ghetto no matter what you try.

Replace it.

Quick q: will you tell us how it happened?

Probably. 

Not sure how it started but a glass cup was dropped in it making it bigger so may have started like that too. 

The concern about replacing it is that it's a double bathroom sink with a granite countertop so I'm guessing I might have to replace the granite too. 

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Probably. 

Not sure how it started but a glass cup was dropped in it making it bigger so may have started like that too. 

The concern about replacing it is that it's a double bathroom sink with a granite countertop so I'm guessing I might have to replace the granite too. 

Highly likely, have to look underneath,  might be clips holding it in place plus epoxy. Sometimes you can remove, or move the clips out of place. Use a heat gun to loosen the epoxy and slowly, gently,  pry the sink loose. A lot times though. Not so lucky. There are people who refinish that sorta thing, but that looks like a monster crack. 

There are companies that refinish porcelain tubs on site, I would Google that.

It looks like a bolt up from the pictures (as opposed to a drop down) so def a pita to replace and match but a good plumber should be able to handle efficiently.

I would crawl up in there and look for make/model number sticker to replace just one.

On 1/31/2020 at 6:28 PM, William_Cannon said:

replace it. I wouldn’t trust a sink with a crack

I agree that he should replace it, but...WTF is this shit about trusting a sink?  The fucker either leaks or it doesn't.  And it's only gonna leak when the faucet is running anyway. 
You can leave for a few weeks with a cracked sink, and nothing bad is going to happen. 

• Like 1

I agree that he should replace it, but...WTF is this shit about trusting a sink?  The fucker either leaks or it doesn't.  And it's only gonna leak when the faucet is running anyway. 
You can leave for a few weeks with a cracked sink, and nothing bad is going to happen. 

Yeah, no one is gonna silicon a crack in their sink unless it’s to get them by.

Looks like an undermount sink, should be fairly easy fix even if both bowls need to be replaced. 

The sink is more than likely just glued to the granite. They can just separate the sink from underneath the granite and replace. 

Edited by RMac5

On 2/1/2020 at 7:40 AM, Viper said:

Probably. 

You just need to replace both sinks.  They are usually just mounted with construction adhesive, and often a wooden support underneath. Just very carefully measure the sink size and see what size and shape fits.  You probably have an overflow sink, just make sure you get the same type as you have now so the plumbing is the same.  The worst part is usually the nastiness of the P trap, and just get a pan to catch the water and gunk. Before you do anything make sure your water cutoff valves actually completely cut off the water to each sink.  I would probably use an oscillating saw with scraper blade to work on the edges, assuming you have to room to get to the edge. You may be able to make some headway with adhesive from the top with an razor knife.  I have a tiny pry bar that I use from small trim and tight spaces, it will be worth the small investment.

You MAY find that you can indeed find a matching sink and only need to do the one side.  Or have the difference be so small as to only be noticed by you as the installer.

Look on youtube how to mount the sink.  Worst case scenario is you screw up the granite edge.  If that happened depending on the size of the sink you might be able to drop in a slightly larger top mount? 

The vast majority of under mount sinks used by granite countertops fabricators are kohler 2210 knock offs and are generally very close in size/shape.

Get some cardboard or paper and trace the cutout. Take it to a granite fab shop. Most of them buy the sinks in bulk for about $15-$19 each.

Check pattern to sink to make sure stone will cover sink rim entirely. Make a cash offer of $40.00. Buy one or two.

If the sinks are just glued up, it will be a pain in the ass to put a new one up. You will need to brace it up for 24 hours for glue to set. I would actually recommend 100% silicone. (Not the paintable latex stuff—which will not hold). Use a ratchet strap or a 18” thin long bar clamp (harbor freight- $5.00) through the drain hole of sink up to a board laying over the cutout to secure it in place while glue dries. Then reconnect plumbing.

If there are anchors holding it in place, you can seal new sink w silicone, ratchet sink in place tighten existing bolts and should be ready to replace plumbing.

You can also use metal plumbers strap screwed to the cabinet under the sink to securely hold it. It will look like shit though.

Having a second hand to help line up the sink and hold it if you have never done it would certainly help, but I probably have set a few thousand sinks without help. Just need the correct stuff to make it a 5-10 minute process once you get old sink off. (Just hammer it out and clean off glue on the 167a0fff328b33fab3b4fbf154d8f0f4.jpgunderside ).

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2