Coffee Barista Refuses to Serve Guy Wearing AirPods

Doc Reeves

it’s good to see that with all of the changes, intense social angst and conflict that coffee baristas can still be patronizing, polarizing and judgmental. That little touch is always what made their cup of coffee worth $9.  

“What can I get you... wait... never mind. Fuck you.”

He ordered coffee while wearing an AirPod. The barista refused to serve him
Apple announced this week that AirPods are selling in untold numbers. It seems, though, that in some places of business, they're not always welcome.

Chris Matyszczyk

Some people wear them all the time.

I'm becoming unreasonably fascinated with Apple's AirPods. And not just because CEO Tim Cook says Apple's wearables are selling in glorious numbers.

Recently, I wrote about how teens are now exchanging single AirPods, so that they can have fun with text-and-speech apps during class. (Surely you're trying it in meetings by now.)

This led to one or two readers telling me I was an OK person. Well, OK Boomer to be precise.

I'm still struggling, however, with the whole ethos of these things. And now I've discovered there's an apparent resistance against them in certain businesses.

Chicago-based culinary site The Takeout offered a story that, I fear, will have many AirPod-wearers taking sides.

You see, a reader called Kevin (I'm being unusually hopeful that this person is real) wrote to the site's etiquette columnist -- the much-revered Salty Waitress -- and complained: "Dear Salty, I was at the coffee shop counter, and the cashier wouldn't take my order until I took off my AirPod! And it was only in one ear! Am I the asshole here?"

It was only in one ear, judge. How can anyone be offended by that?

The Salty Waitress was not at one with such a view. She replied, in part: "I am trying hard here to give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you were in the middle of a very important phone call/podcast/guitar riff that could not be paused for the 30 or so seconds it takes to order a cup of coffee. In which case, you very politely step aside to conclude your business and then order your coffee."

Doesn't that seem reasonable? Or have we already meandered most of the way down the route to Santiago de Compostheap, the saintly march of technology giving us permission to be as rude as we like?

I'm in my world. So what is it you want?

The Salty Waitress was undeterred in her resistance. She explained that if Kevin wanted to embrace technology, he could push off to Starbucks or Dunkin', order via an app and pick up his coffee without the burden of any human interaction.

She then warmed to her theme, mustering a fine froth: "Because that's the thing, sweetie pie. THE CASHIER IS A HUMAN BEING! JUST LIKE YOU! Their role in your life may be temporary and functional, but they've got feelings and hopes and dreams and aspirations. And like you (probably) they would like your full and undivided attention while you ask them to perform a service for you."

She explained that this is true for all service workers and should, indeed, work both ways. I was glad she said that, as I've had two visits to AT&T stores where the salespeople were wearing a single AirPod and listening their own music.

Worse, I recently happened to be in a lovely Miami hotel, the Marlin, where one of the reception staff had two AirPods in at all times. I have a feeling it wasn't to receive messages from the manager.

The Salty Waitress wasn't just explaining the basics of human behavior. She added that one of the reasons to take your AirPod out is to ensure your order is taken accurately.

Naturally, her expressive defense of actual human behavior led to spirited discussion. Many didn't take her side. They explained one has no idea whether Kevin was listening to anything at all. Some people, after all, wear their AirPods all the time, as if they're mere tasteless earrings.

Some added that the barista may have no idea whether this isn't an AirPod, but a hearing aid. As one commenter observed: "The way around it is to assume good intentions and that the person is giving you their attention until they prove otherwise. Then you won't offend someone with hearing problems by making everyone aware of their hearing aids."

Then again, another observed: "Even if your airpod/earbud is turned off, it looks like you aren't listening to the person you are interacting with."

I fear this isn't the last time AirPods will cause controversy. Wearing them often demands a certain adjustment in others.

Why should others, though, make that adjustment?

Count me among those who cannot understand the phenomenon of needing to have your music or whatever the fuck it is you're listening to in your ear 24-7.

A rural example to complement the urban one the article provides:

Not uncommon to come across a hiker with pods or headphones, utterly oblivious to the outside world, despite having to share pathways frequented by other hikers, mountain bikers, and wild animals, including moose and mountain lions.

Said hiker usually reacts with surprise--and then anger and condescension--at being so rudely plucked from their dreamworld and having to make way or (at least) look up.

• Like 1

I not only hate them, but the cost that people are wiling to pay for them is mind bottling to me.  I'd like to see numbers on ear pods found in lost and found.  To see people walking around with Something About Mary semen on their ears, looking like complete douche bags, yet not giving a single care in the world makes me laugh 

• Like 2

I only wear airpods on airplanes and occasionally while running.  I find it childish to wear those things around all the time and to shut yourself off from the rest of the world.  Working out with music?  Sure.  On a call?  Sure.  Zoning out and quieting the noise on a flight?  Sure.  But when you're just out and about in your day maybe just be a grownup and interact with the world a little bit.  

But at the same time, fuck any shitbag barista that thinks I have to meet their personally chosen level of behavior for the privilege of having them make my coffee.  As long as I'm not being verbally abusive, as long as I can hear you and answer your questions, and as long I'm not causing a scene in your coffee shop just do your fucking job.    

• Like 8

First the new air pods have transparency mode where they can be in and you can still hear everything around you.

Second, and apparently an unpopular opinion here, fuck the barista, if I’m standing in line with strangers waiting on coffee (unlikely) the vast majority of them are playing on their phones or reading papers so what difference does it make if I’m listening to a podcast or music as long as I give my order without any delay.  If she says “next” or “can I help you” and I don’t hear then sure fuck me, but if I answer promptly then everyone else can fuck off.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

This thread is hilarious. It’s just like what I remember happening when cell phones started taking off in 1990. People laughed at others who walked while on their cell phones, or stood outside to make a cell phone call. Fast forward a few years and teen age girls had them implanted on their ears 24/7. You luddites are adorable.

49 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

But at the same time, fuck any shitbag barista that thinks I have to meet their personally chosen level of behavior for the privilege of having them make my coffee.  As long as I'm not being verbally abusive, as long as I can hear you and answer your questions, and as long I'm not causing a scene in your coffee shop just do your fucking job.    

I wonder if they'd refuse to serve a guy wearing sunglasses? Do you have to look them in the eye before they'll accept your order? 

I only use headphones when I'm doing stuff around the house, I don't get the whole idea of having to have music playing at all times. My kids used to be that way but they seem to have grown out of it.

2 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

I not only hate them, but the cost that people are wiling to pay for them is mind bottling to me.  I'd like to see numbers on ear pods found in lost and found.  To see people walking around with Something About Mary semen on their ears, looking like complete douche bags, yet not giving a single care in the world makes WANT TO THROW ROCKS AT THEM

Fixed for congruency 

My problem with them is it's a distraction. When I worked retail it was a pain to help people, in one ear they are having a conversation with someone and at the same time asking if I knew where xyz was or what do they need for blah blah blah. Get off the phone and I'll help you, otherwise,  have a good day. 

33 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This thread is hilarious. It’s just like what I remember happening when cell phones started taking off in 1990. People laughed at others who walked while on their cell phones, or stood outside to make a cell phone call. Fast forward a few years and teen age girls had them implanted on their ears 24/7. You luddites are adorable.

Nah, those people who are on their phones in public all the time suck too.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Second, and apparently an unpopular opinion here, fuck the barista, if I’m standing in line with strangers waiting on coffee (unlikely) the vast majority of them are playing on their phones or reading papers so what difference does it make if I’m listening to a podcast or music as long as I give my order without any delay.  If she says “next” or “can I help you” and I don’t hear then sure fuck me, but if I answer promptly then everyone else can fuck off.

If you are walking around with headphones on/in and people try to talk to you anyway, you'd consider that rude/annoying, right? They should signal "don't talk to me right now".

So when in a situation where you are expecting other people to interact with you (like ordering coffee), take the AirPods out. Seems pretty simple.

• Like 1

I had multiple conversations with our city manager this summer and the guy (60s) had one in his ear at all times. I had to get some major work done on a prop and multiple contractors gave consolations with one in their ear. The guy I went with who turned out to be nails had one in his ear the entire time.

I can say it’s annoying and I personally wouldn’t do it but it’s not really that big a deal. If they consider themselves such professionals they require the same attention as a college lecturer, then on the same note they should be professional enough to power through it and get the guy his coffee or skip him and help the next person if need be.

Or Sony Walkmans of the 80’s...

I’m not deaf, I’m just tuning you out, Mom. Call it practice for my wife!

Team airpod guy.  Little miss SJW wanted her attention and she got it.  If he had both in and was talking then by all means.  If he had one out and was ready to order she can do her job and be quiet.  How is this any different than being on a plane and taking one headphone out to talk to the FA when it's your turn.

• Like 1

i've been that guy wearing earpods at the service counter.  it's always for conference calls though.  it would be annoying if the guy was just listening to music but how would you know?  gotta give him the benefit of the doubt and just do your job. 

• Like 1