Coffee Barista Refuses to Serve Guy Wearing AirPods

Doc Reeves

We used to use phone booths to make a call if we weren't at home. Then again, once upon a time we went to the telegraph station to send messages. Maybe we need to assign a space for these Pod People. Charge 'em a couple of dollars, they can pay for it with their virtual wallet.

It's simple for those not raised or still living like a poor.  Get past being self involved and have some consideration for those around you.  That's it.  If you insist on being on your phone or listening to music or are tuned into your air pods, fine but don't expect us to sacrifice social norms so that we live according to yours.  Leave us how we were before you invaded our space with your shit, i.e. music or conversation.  Furthermore, if you then insist on asking something from the public, for example a barista, excuse yourself from your fucking air pods for a moment and engage the person you want something from with some intent.  Imo, if he removed an air pod that was enough.  It reads like the barista was on a bit of a crusade.  That said, if you are then posting on the internet asking whether or not your feelings were justified in being hurt your probably the little bitch.       

• Like 3

Order your coffee after your conference call is over.

If you're important enough that you can't take your earbud out for the two minutes it takes to order coffee then you should be having some intern get your coffee for you. 

Anyone getting their own coffee can miss two minutes of a conference call. 

• Like 2

I don't wear airpods or earbuds, but when I'm wearing sunglasses and engage someone in conversation, I remove my sunglasses out of respect.  So much of face to face communication is facial expression that I don't want sunglasses to get in the way.  It is part of giving your whole attention to the interaction.  I view airpods/earbuds/headphones the same way; remove them and pay attention to what you are doing and with whom you are doing it.  If you don't give the interaction, and the person with whom you are interacting, your attention and respect, you shouldn't expect the party with whom you are interacting to give you and the interaction much attention and respect.  Your parents or the moose out front of kindergarten should have told you. 

TL,DR: You gotta give respect to get respect. 

• Like 8

On 2/2/2020 at 11:46 AM, Braff Zacklin said:

Count me among those who cannot understand the phenomenon of needing to have your music or whatever the fuck it is you're listening to in your ear 24-7.

A rural example to complement the urban one the article provides:

Not uncommon to come across a hiker with pods or headphones, utterly oblivious to the outside world, despite having to share pathways frequented by other hikers, mountain bikers, and wild animals, including moose and mountain lions.

Said hiker usually reacts with surprise--and then anger and condescension--at being so rudely plucked from their dreamworld and having to make way or (at least) look up.

This was me a few weeks ago. I was working on the fence row, listening to a book, when I felt movement behind me. I jumped and turned around. Luckily it was only a couple of heifers, but it scared the shit out of me. And made me rethink having them in while in the woods.

BTW, I got these from Amazon for $40 and they are on par with the airpods I got for my birthday.

spacer.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

What's the point of even being a barista if you can't be "patronizing, polarizing and judgemental"?   Lord knows you ain't doing it for the money.

If I ever bought coffee at some place other than a quickie mart, I would want, no expect, my barista to be polarizing and judgemental. However, patronizing is just going too far.

Anyway, if anybody ever spoke to me while wearing an air pod, I would ignore them. Sort of like how I ignore my wife and daughter when they try to talk to me when I'm in another room. I just pretend like I didn't hear them.

5 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

If you're important enough that you can't take your earbud out for the two minutes it takes to order coffee then you should be having some intern get your coffee for you. 

quite the opposite.  i'm not the least bit important. 

Co-worker of mine just got hearing aids due to hearing loss from his time in the Navy. These things are incredible nowadays and may have been for some time. I don’t know. But I learned that he can Bluetooth his music to the fukn things. He can take phone calls through them also. And oh yeah...he said there’s a function where he can touch his ear and turn the volume up and down or some shit. And you can’t even see them. Is he supposed to take out his hearing aids in this barista scenario?

Haven't we already collectively decided that blue tooth headsets are the ultimate expression of douchbaggery and anyone utilizing one in public should be shunned from normal society?  What is the fucking difference with these things?  Apple marketing?  It's the same shit.  Walk around talking/listening in public with these things in your earholes if you want, but go fuck yourself if you think anyone else should accept it as the acceptable behavior of a functioning adult. 

And I thought the article nailed it on the head when the writer mentioned that if you absolutely must degrade yourself by ordering coffee while refusing to step outside of your technology bubble, go to Starbucks or some other soulless shitstain of corporate tastelessness where your kind are not only welcome but purposefully marketed to.  Leave humanity to those who aren't afraid of being human.

• Like 5

On 2/3/2020 at 5:57 PM, Hawndoh said:

Preach!

36 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Some of you have never had jobs where you are on calls literally all day and have to do things and be in public while on these calls and it really shows.

You are right, most of us aren't terrible humans

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

Co-worker of mine just got hearing aids due to hearing loss from his time in the Navy. These things are incredible nowadays and may have been for some time. I don’t know. But I learned that he can Bluetooth his music to the fukn things. He can take phone calls through them also. And oh yeah...he said there’s a function where he can touch his ear and turn the volume up and down or some shit. And you can’t even see them. Is he supposed to take out his hearing aids in this barista scenario?

I think you meant to post this in the dumb question amnesty thread.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:33 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Anyway, if anybody ever spoke to me while wearing an air pod, I would ignore them. Sort of like how I ignore my wife and daughter when they try to talk to me when I'm in another room. I just pretend like I didn't hear them.

Well, I’m half deaf so it comes natural to me.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:03 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

when I'm wearing sunglasses and engage someone in conversation, I remove my sunglasses out of respect.  So much of face to face communication is facial expression that I don't want sunglasses to get in the way. 

How am I supposed to check out the tits on the chick I'm talking to if I take off my sunglasses?? You think I'm talking to her because I actually want to hear what she has to say?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sandman said:

How am I supposed to check out the tits on the chick I'm talking to if I take off my sunglasses?? You think I'm talking to her because I actually want to hear what she has to say?

There are truths that never even need to be spoken, to those that understand truths.

6 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Some of you have never had jobs where you are on calls literally all day and have to do things and be in public while on these calls and it really shows.

So you're the guy i hang up on after trying to sell me shit i don't need?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

So you're the guy i hang up on after trying to sell me shit i don't need?  

C'mon man, he has a very important issue to discuss with you regarding your vehicle warranty.  Or your mortgage.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2020 at 11:46 AM, Braff Zacklin said:

Count me among those who cannot understand the phenomenon of needing to have your music or whatever the fuck it is you're listening to in your ear 24-7.

A rural example to complement the urban one the article provides:

Not uncommon to come across a hiker with pods or headphones, utterly oblivious to the outside world, despite having to share pathways frequented by other hikers, mountain bikers, and wild animals, including moose and mountain lions.

Said hiker usually reacts with surprise--and then anger and condescension--at being so rudely plucked from their dreamworld and having to make way or (at least) look up.

Not so much of a need, but I was listening to Heart of Darkness last night while picking up supplies from the grocery store. Somehow everyone survived without me bumping into them and the automated checkout machine didn't seem to mind. 

Team Discman here.

My teenagers wear these things all of the time and initially I found it annoying and told them not to talk to me with them in their ears. After some back and forth they explained the transparency mode to me and really the pods have never caused any communication issues. At this point I've adapted to them and don't really notice if someone has them in their ears.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't wear shit in my ears, but if I buy coffee from one of those places where they write your name on the cup, I tell them my name is Attila or Popeye or Odin, and then I go stand across the room and act like I don't hear it until Doodle Dweedle the Barista yells it really loud two or three times. "Attila! Attila! ATTILLLLLA!"

• Haha 2