Super Bowl halftime

Gil Bang

When Milli Vanilli was on stage lip syncing, at least they had band of real musicians and an audience of people who were actually fans. 

There wasn't a single second of live audio during that entire show... just a couple of middle aged chicks doing a soft-core strip tease in front of a fake audience doing scripted fake audience things (pretending to shoot cell phone videos).  

I'm just fine with watching Shakira dance, but Milli Vanilli had better songs (it's not even close) and were more authentic. 

• 1 year later...

I think the Weeknd is one of the most talented pop artists of the last several years. His latest album is an 80's synth pop time machine ride and it's damned good. His previous work with Daft Punk is superb. 

That being said the SB halftime show is not the right gig for him. A spastic 20 minute hustle through a handful of truncated songs isn't really his bag. And the TV audio feed on his vocals was atrocious, which is a shame because the guy is one of the few current pop stars with an actual set of digitally unmodified pipes.

His performances on SNL over the last few years are a better display of his talent, IMO.

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

He was pretty good.  Dude has talent, the jock strap hats had my kids laughing, and the music had my kids dancing.  That's a win for me.  

I agree. I don’t understand the hate lol. What do you expect from a halftime show. There have been plenty better and plenty worse. The Weeknd has some bangers, and he performed all of them without the normal crowd that he would have to feed off of. 

Man, I don't know.  I thought it was incredibly boring.  His songs aren't terribly memorable, and the production was lame.  "The next Michael Jackson" (which is something I've heard about him for years) is a swing and a miss, especially in a world where Bruno Mars is still alive.  (Is Bruno still alive?  Where did he go?)

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, I don't know.  I thought it was incredibly boring.  His songs aren't terribly memorable, and the production was lame.  "The next Michael Jackson" (which is something I've heard about him for years) is a swing and a miss, especially in a world where Bruno Mars is still alive.  (Is Bruno still alive?  Where did he go?)

He’s definitely surpassed Bruno Mars in terms of the songs he’s putting out. Maybe performance wise he doesn’t match up, but he’s easily one of if not the most popular male artist in that genre. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Uh, what?  He's not even in the same galaxy based on what I heard last night.

He isn’t as good of a performer as Bruno Mars, but in terms of the music he puts out, he’s widely regarded as one of the top male artists in his genre. If you went to check him out on Spotify, I think you’d have a different opinion of him. But maybe not. Who knows. I’m just telling you what the public thinks. 

Bruno is great. You can't help but like the guy and he puts on a hell of a show. I'd say the Weeknd is in another vocal league and his music has more meat than Bruno's recycled new jack swing stuff. But wtf - we're talking about pop tunes here. And I'm going on 45 so I've aged-out of this scene anyway.

I really wish Daft Punk would hook it back up with the Weeknd for another round. I Feel It Coming through a pair of headphones turned up to 11 is greatness.

When Rick Beato put out his review of top 10 songs on Spotify a few months ago, the song by the Weeknd was easily the best song of the bunch. 

But last night was so so so bad. This dude has no charisma, no star power, no way to bring the crowd to life. In that respect, Bruno Mars far surpasses him. I think that was one of the worst halftime performances I've ever seen.

I feel like I'm listening to completely different music.  Those two tracks with Daft Punk are generic, hyper-produced, no-melody lousy-lyric bullshit by a perfectly mediocre singer who has been quadruple tracked and autotuned to death.  To say that the performances OR the songwriting are even close to what Mars does is fucking lunacy.  Bizarre.  (And let's be clear, I'm not saying Bruno is MJ, either.  He's about a half notch above Timberlake at best, but he can sing and write circles around everything I've heard by last night's "superstar".)

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

Interesting reactions. I generally like The Weeknd, been a fan of his since about 2012 when he dropped his mixtapes without revealing his identity. Surprisingly, I agree that his charisma is about as high now as it was then (with literally no identity) But his music hits some notes that there aren't much of in today's music. He can do the R&B thing, heavy on the synth-beats and loops (which I'd assume catches some EDM crowd), and then recently added unashamed pop music to his repertoire to catch the youngs. It's probably better than he doesn't have much charisma/personality though, he's literally made a career singing about cocaine, partying, strippers, cheating on girlfriends, and doing cocaine at parties with the strippers that he's cheating on his girlfriends with. 

The performance was ok. I can't stand the medleys though, one verse from each song that I can't imagine would make anybody a fan. You can hardly get a vibe from any of them. Otherwise I've seen reactions that he needed a stage, that the stage-less design was cool since he used the field, and now that he didn't use enough of the field. Can't please everyone. 

I didn't see any evidence of talent. Just seemed like recycled common denominator mish mash without any particularly notable delivery. Of all the music acts performing it was by for the worst. But still not as bad as the last few halftime shows of horrible shame. It just didn't belong anywhere on any big time stage.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Why haven't the god damn Foo Fighters gotten the SB gig yet? I'm not even a big fan, but nobody would argue they aren't big enough or wouldn't likely be the most popular and appreciated act in ages. Just too white, I guess.

I think the foo fighters would agree that in 2021 The Weeknd should get the halftime show over them. If we’re talking 15 years ago, it would make a lot more sense. 

I understand that we can't have every SB guest be a classic rock artist for middle aged white guys.

It's not the genre that I take issue with. 

I agree with jimmyjazz that outside of 2 hits, that guy's music is profoundly pedestrian and forgettable.   Why would you think that guy could fill 20 minutes by himself?  Obviously, he wasn't up to the job... and it's not like he made up for the shortcoming with great rhythms, choreography, or a compelling stage persona.

That show.... fucking ugh, man.  A stadium full (ok, half full) of fans, and you run off the field and into a Vegas-style shoebox and spin around mugging right into the camera for a couple minutes, then do a mosh pit thing with the diaper-on-the-head guys for a couple more minutes.  What the fuck is that?

The happiest guys in America today have to be the Black Eyed Peas, who were often named as worst halftime show ever until yesterday. 

Next year:  How 'bout Snoop and/or Willie?

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

I understand that we can't have every SB guest be a classic rock artist for middle aged white guys.

I looked up the expected market breakdown:  35-44 YO were #1, 18-34 YO were #2, 45-64 YO were #3, but all 3 were close.  So, The Weeknd is probably closer to being in line with the audience than, say, Bruce Springsteen.

That said, I would think there would be a better act to put on there than The Weeknd.  Doubling up like last year's JLo/Shakira event probably makes a lot of sense, although they're not very far apart in age.  This might have been a tough year to book.

Snoop & Willie would be awesome.  Snoop probably wouldn't do it without the stripper poles, though.  Willie will, of course, sing with anyone.

Isn't there some type of rule where you're not allowed to actually play a halftime show?  Meaning every act lip syncs and plays unplugged?  I think I read that somewhere, but could be wrong.

If that's the case, I could see the Foo Fighters not wanting that.

Honestly every halftime show kind of sucks.  I can't think of one I've really, really enjoyed in recent memory.  They're too big and theatrical.  Everyone trying to one up the ones that came before.  The stadium size, crowds, and spectacle doesn't seem to translate well to TV.  The sound always feels like it's poor even though everyone's lip syncing.  It just tries way too hard.  

I actually liked the two songs all right that smuggs posted above, but what I saw last night was nothing like that.

Edited by Tom

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think the foo fighters would agree that in 2021 The Weeknd should get the halftime show over them. If we’re talking 15 years ago, it would make a lot more sense. 

But reality would dictate that this thread would be overwhelmingly positive if the Foo Fighters had played, instead of whatever that bland and uninteresting thing was on the field yesterday. Whatever it is that makes that guy "special" to the "in-crowd" doesn't seem to transcend outside a certain narrow segment of approved cultural and critical required fanship.

The halftime shows have been overwhelmingly bloated and shitty over the past few decades, with few exceptions. Why waste the money? Go back to the Grambling band and Ashley Whippet and a normal length halftime and make football about football again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougO said:

The halftime shows have been overwhelmingly bloated and shitty over the past few decades, with few exceptions. Why waste the money? Go back to the Grambling band and Ashley Whippet and a normal length halftime and make football about football again.

This is ultimately where we find common ground. There are maybe 10 people alive and in their prime that could’ve put on a halftime show that would be unanimously looked at as “wow, what an amazing performance.” 

But when you say the “in-crowd” that’s essentially most people between the ages of 15-35, and even 35 might be stretching it. That’s usually the demo that dictates what’s popular in music. I’ve been a fan of The Weeknd for a long time. I’ve always loved his music. I think he has a great voice in the studio. He doesn’t have the charisma I thought he’d have, but you have to understand that this thread is very much in the minority on their overall opinion on The Weeknd as an artist.

And I’m not going to sit here and pretend like I’m part of said “in crowd”. I just genuinely like dudes music over the course of the last 7 or 8 years. 

11 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This is ultimately where we find common ground. There are maybe 10 people alive and in their prime that could’ve put on a halftime show that would be unanimously looked at as “wow, what an amazing performance.” 

But when you say the “in-crowd” that’s essentially most people between the ages of 15-35, and even 35 might be stretching it. That’s usually the demo that dictates what’s popular in music. I’ve been a fan of The Weeknd for a long time. I’ve always loved his music. I think he has a great voice in the studio. He doesn’t have the charisma I thought he’d have, but you have to understand that this thread is very much in the minority on their overall opinion on The Weeknd as an artist.

And I’m not going to sit here and pretend like I’m part of said “in crowd”. I just genuinely like dudes music over the course of the last 7 or 8 years. 

But we all watched the Superbowl, and we are largely all music lovers, so therefore not the worst sampling possible.

2 hours ago, DougO said:

But reality would dictate that this thread would be overwhelmingly positive if the Foo Fighters had played, instead of whatever that bland and uninteresting thing was on the field yesterday. Whatever it is that makes that guy "special" to the "in-crowd" doesn't seem to transcend outside a certain narrow segment of approved cultural and critical required fanship.

Lol, The Weeknd has a way, WAY broader appeal than Foo Fighters.  There is nothing "In-Crowd" about The Weeknd.

14MM monthly listeners vs 68MM

14 hours ago, smuggs said:

I think the Weeknd is one of the most talented pop artists of the last several years. His latest album is an 80's synth pop time machine ride and it's damned good. His previous work with Daft Punk is superb. 

That being said the SB halftime show is not the right gig for him. A spastic 20 minute hustle through a handful of truncated songs isn't really his bag. And the TV audio feed on his vocals was atrocious, which is a shame because the guy is one of the few current pop stars with an actual set of digitally unmodified pipes.

His performances on SNL over the last few years are a better display of his talent, IMO.

Agree.  He's very talented, particularly in the studio where he can play around with the production value and loop and layer sounds together.  Very talented ear.

14 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'd be ok if they just played Prince's halftime show every year.

Fuck yea!

10 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

He’s definitely surpassed Bruno Mars in terms of the songs he’s putting out. Maybe performance wise he doesn’t match up, but he’s easily one of if not the most popular male artist in that genre. 

Uhm..... no.  Mars simply hasn't released a studio album in awhile.  Apparently his next project is a multi-platform experience -- music, movie, digital and maybe even theme park experience which COVID has massively delayed.  But Mars has The Weeknd beat in almost every respect, record sales, #1's, Grammys, AMA's, etc. Mars is just in a different stratosphere of entertainment right now.  

7 hours ago, DougO said:

Why haven't the god damn Foo Fighters gotten the SB gig yet? I'm not even a big fan, but nobody would argue they aren't big enough or wouldn't likely be the most popular and appreciated act in ages. Just too white, I guess.

They've discussed it.  Dave says they got passed over a few times and he unloaded to the wrong guy who is one of the producers of the halftime show and thinks it'll be awhile now, but who knows.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Isn't there some type of rule where you're not allowed to actually play a halftime show?  Meaning every act lip syncs and plays unplugged?  I think I read that somewhere, but could be wrong.

If that's the case, I could see the Foo Fighters not wanting that.

Honestly every halftime show kind of sucks.  I can't think of one I've really, really enjoyed in recent memory.  They're too big and theatrical.  Everyone trying to one up the ones that came before.  The stadium size, crowds, and spectacle doesn't seem to translate well to TV.  The sound always feels like it's poor even though everyone's lip syncing.  It just tries way too hard.  

I actually liked the two songs all right that smuggs posted above, but what I saw last night was nothing like that.

That's not a thing.  Performers decide how much/if any they want to perform live.  Reportedly, this performance was live and The Weeknd actually sank 7 million of his own money into the performance.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Uhm..... no.  Mars simply hasn't released a studio album in awhile.  Apparently his next project is a multi-platform experience -- music, movie, digital and maybe even theme park experience which COVID has massively delayed.  But Mars has The Weeknd beat in almost every respect, record sales, #1's, Grammys, AMA's, etc. Mars is just in a different stratosphere of entertainment right now. 

Do you think Bruno's up there with Huey Lewis and the News?

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's not a thing.  Performers decide how much/if any they want to perform live.  Reportedly, this performance was live and The Weeknd actually sank 7 million of his own money into the performance.

I'll take your word for it.  Like i said, I can't remember where I read it. so I can't verify it's true.  

Not sure if that makes my view of all these bad performances better or worse.