Super Bowl halftime

Gil Bang

36 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'll take your word for it.  Like i said, I can't remember where I read it. so I can't verify it's true.  

Not sure if that makes my view of all these bad performances better or worse.  

The best concert performance I have attended was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in 2005? in Atlanta, GA.  I saw bands I liked better, with albums I would actually I would buy, but holy shit was Petty so much better as a performer.   

• 1 year later...

Loved it but a couple of things:

1. Those Impalas should have been functional and hitting the three wheel motion all over the field.

2. Bummer an LA Super Bowl halftime show with Dre and Snoop doesn't include Ice Cube. They could have actually put his name on the lights of the Goodyear blimp.

On 2/14/2022 at 12:56 PM, smuggs said:

2. Bummer an LA Super Bowl halftime show with Dre and Snoop doesn't include Ice Cube. They could have actually put his name on the lights of the Goodyear blimp.

On a slight tangent, Dre, Snoop and Ice Cube are still together with their wives since the mid 90s. That's phenomenal compared to "regular" Hollywood type, and even more so compared to Nick Cage.

46 minutes ago, Superhero said:

On a slight tangent, Dre, Snoop and Ice Cube are still together with their wives since the mid 90s. That's phenomenal compared to "regular" Hollywood type, and even more so compared to Nick Cage.

Pretty sure Dre just paid his wife 100mm to pound sand.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

Screen-Shot-2022-06-10-at-5-13-42-PM.png

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2022-06-10/jennifer-lopez-shakira-halftime-documentary-super-bowl

BY NARDINE SAADSTAFF WRITER 

JUNE 10, 2022 10:31 AM PT 

Jennifer Lopez was not happy that the NFL made her and Shakira co-headliners at the 2020 Super Bowl halftime show, according to footage from her upcoming Netflix documentary.

The “Waiting for Tonight” singer debuted “Halftime” at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York on Thursday, and a scene in the doc, which reflects on her multi-hyphenate career, shows her agitated by the limited amount of time each superstar was allotted for the widely broadcast performance.

“We have six f— minutes,” Lopez, 52, tells music director Kim Burse, according to Entertainment Weekly. “We have 30 seconds of a song, and if we take a minute, that’s it, we’ve got five left. But, there’s got to be certain songs that we sing, though. We have to have our singing moments. It’s not going to be a dance f— revue. We have to sing our message.”

Lopez then says it was “the worst idea in the world to have two people do the Super Bowl.”

Sharing Lopez’s sentiments, her longtime manager, Benny Medina, also appears in the documentary to take aim at the NFL.

“Typically, you have one headliner at a Super Bowl. That headliner constructs a show, and, should they choose to have other guests, that’s their choice,” Medina says. “It was an insult to say you needed two Latinas to do the job that one artist historically has done.”

In a scene with “She Wolf” singer Shakira earlier in the documentary, the two singers try to map out the show. Lopez suggests that they each get half of the 12 minutes allotted — with the ability to tack on “an extra minute or two” — rather than weaving together their performances as the organizers originally intended.

“If it was going to be a double headliner, they should have given us 20 minutes,” Lopez says in the doc. “That’s what they should’ve f— done.”

“Halftime” begins streaming Tuesday on Netflix.

Edited by Paul Wesley

• 8 months later...
31 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'm old enough to remember a good Super Bowl Halftime show:

Fuck the NFL, but just click through.

I miss TP.  We was robbed.

/edit to add that can any of you even imagine if someone released an album as tremendous as Full Moon Fever today.  Holly shit.  So good.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That video of him and Gary Shandling at his house in Malibu is so fucking sad:

When did people in the limelight stop being this cool and funny.  My reaction is that I idolized these people for exactly the right reasons.

She wasn't belting anything.  She wasn't even trying to hide the lip synch.  I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure the key never changed, and the whole "performance" was laughably flat.  That was horrible.

Assuming she did sing, which I agree she didn’t much of at all, always interesting to me how many people think karaoke performances are cool.

I did however think the army of crazy outfitted dancers having nothing discernible to do with any of the songs or anything else was really unique and creative. Wonder how they thought that up.

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

When did people in the limelight stop being this cool and funny.  My reaction is that I idolized these people for exactly the right reasons.

The premise to the average American of "Watch Tom Petty and Gary Shandling talk aimlessly in Tom's basement for 20 minutes" would seem a non-starter.  Instead, it's better than 99.9999% of any talk show segment in history.  We always knew Tom was cool (watch the home movies of him organizing the first Traveling Wilburys rehearsals).  But people I know that knew Shandling said he was so kind, so sweet, so generous, incredibly intelligent, and obviously hilarious in any situation.  Same with Norm MacDonald and Gilbert Gottfreid.  These guys who seemed to removed and scathing and facetious were all actually the nicest, most caring guys in Comedy.  In a sea of asshole attenion-whores, those those three apparently stood apart.  and two of 'em are already gone.  

8 hours ago, sidis said:

That chick is pregnant. She barely moved. 

I didn't see the halftime show, or the game for that matter.  But first thing my second grader said to me this morning before I could make it to the kitchen was, "Daddy!  Rihanna had a baby bump!"  And still half-asleep, I uttered "How in the world do you know who Rihanna is or what a baby bump is?"  Google with search filter ON to the rescue!  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

The premise to the average American of "Watch Tom Petty and Gary Shandling talk aimlessly in Tom's basement for 20 minutes" would seem a non-starter.  Instead, it's better than 99.9999% of any talk show segment in history.  We always knew Tom was cool (watch the home movies of him organizing the first Traveling Wilburys rehearsals).  But people I know that knew Shandling said he was so kind, so sweet, so generous, incredibly intelligent, and obviously hilarious in any situation.  Same with Norm MacDonald and Gilbert Gottfreid.  These guys who seemed to removed and scathing and facetious were all actually the nicest, most caring guys in Comedy.  In a sea of asshole attenion-whores, those those three apparently stood apart.  and two of 'em are already gone.  

I didn't see the halftime show, or the game for that matter.  But first thing my second grader said to me this morning before I could make it to the kitchen was, "Daddy!  Rihanna had a baby bump!"  And still half-asleep, I uttered "How in the world do you know who Rihanna is or what a baby bump is?"  Google with search filter ON to the rescue!  

Anybody want to tell him?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Anybody want to tell him?

Holy shit.  I had no idea Gilbert died.  FUCK ME!  And almost a year ago?  What the fuck?  Dammit.  I heard him the other day on Benington show's Unmasked.  And he was making all kind of current references, but i guess it was taped right before he died.  Sonofabitch.  Shit, I probably heard about it right after it happened on the radio but didn't retain it.  Now I'm gonna down the rabbit hole tonight with his documentary and some of his other interviews.