Stones playing Austin on Memorial Day Weekend

Hornius Emeritus

HAHAHAHA!

Saw the Stones in both Houston at the Dome and the Cotton bowl in 1981... because Keith could die any day!  The Dallas show was the day after the rain show and blue, blue skies made a nice backdrop, as ZZ Top was finishing their set. I thought we were screwed as I was at the top of the lower deck and it was going to take an hour at best to fight my way to the floor.  Suddenly three huge security guys brushed past and I grabbed my roomie and tucked in behind them.  We were on the floor in about 3 minutes. 

Then in 2005 I took the whole family and my daughters are on the video in the front row on the CD.

might miss them this time but who knows.

• Like 1

Got down to Zilker that October morning a little before 8.   Maybe 50-75 people in line.   Cool and a bit windy. Long day but well worth it when the gates opened 10 or so hours later. 

Opportunities to see a Stones GA show aren't that frequent.  Had to jump on it.   Payoff being in front of the stage was well worth it. 

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Got down to Zilker that October morning a little before 8.   Maybe 50-75 people in line.   Cool and a bit windy. Long day but well worth it when the gates opened 10 or so hours later. 

Opportunities to see a Stones GA show aren't that frequent.  Had to jump on it.   Payoff being in front of the stage was well worth it. 

I was at that show.  I was literally getting into the car to go to the State Fair in Dallas, when I friend called and said, "I have tix to see the Stones in Austin tonight.  You wanna go?"  I told my then gf, "Skip the Fair.  We're going to see the Stones."  

We were way in the back, as we made it down fairly close to show time.  Doesn't matter.  Saw the Stones in Zilker.

• Like 1

I was at the Zilker show.  we get scalp GA tickets and at show time start walking up the left side where they had the stands.  right before showtime I'm standing in front of the stands and a security guy walks by and motions at someone in the front row of the stands.  4 people get up to leave their seats.  its Andy Roddick and crew and they are taking them backstage.  ask the security guy if we can have their seats and he says sure.  about halfway thru the show, Girl next to my wife hurls and passes out.

great show.  seeing 2 songs that the Stones have only done once and in your town is pretty damn cool.  They did a damn good job on them as well.

The fact that it was an official Stones DVD release shows they put a lot into it to make is special.

Ticket price and options:

Stones tickets at COTA

I've never seen a show on the Super Stage, so I can't comment on any of these options. But, I did see this on Austin360

For the Stones concert, COTA is adding hillside bleachers with reserved seating, track-side premium seating and luxury lounge boxes. They are also renovating the hillside lawn, promising “an improved slope” and “greatly enhanced sight lines and an enhanced sound experience.”

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

If you sign up at the Stones website, you can can a presale pass for the day before.

My second big concert experience (first was Fabulous Thunderbirds/SRV/The Who) was the Stones at the Cotton Bowl in '89.  I may have to do that show.

The Cotton Bowl in 89 was pretty epic. 

I gotta tell you--I'm far more interested in the Cotton Bowl show than I am COTA.

Never been, does it suck?

The whole reason I’m considering COTA is I have a friend from AZ in town and a road trip to see the Stones is in order. Replay of 95 road trip to San Antonio to see them on the Voodoo Lounge Tour. They opened with “Not Fade Away” which was appreciated by the crowd.

I'm too young to have seen them as anything less than really old and really wish I could have. That said, I can't imagine seeing them at COTA when Jagger/Richards are pushing 80 is much more than a shell of their former selves. At this point, I'm willing to just accept I'll have never seen them perform. I definitely can't imagine wanting to go if I had good memories of a past show.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I'm too young to have seen them as anything less than really old and really wish I could have. That said, I can't imagine seeing them at COTA when Jagger/Richards are pushing 80 is much more than a shell of their former selves. At this point, I'm willing to just accept I'll have never seen them perform. I definitely can't imagine wanting to go if I had good memories of a past show.

Here's my opinion.  you should go if to just see gimmie shelter live once.  Jagger makes the difference. Yes he can't exactly sing like he used to but the guy is in "finominal" shape. he's active and makes you feel like you are watching a guy 25 years younger.

Wood can still play decent.

and Keef.  we'll lets just say he's not the same but the guy is a living legend of licks.  

I took a friend who had never seen them to Houston and said you need to see them at least once.  he said he was very glad he did and was thought it was a damn sight better than what he was expecting.

the closing 7 or 8 numbers is pretty great and if you've never seen it like I have 10+ times you will be glad you saw it once.

Got 2 gold circle tix at about $300 per. I glanced at same tickets in the Cotton bowl and they are $700+ per.  The only difference is GA vs actual seats. Definitely a better set up for the COTA show.  It seems that Austin is fortunate we are getting a full experience with all the other stuff going on that day as opposed to "just a show" at the other venues.  Perfect Memorial Day weekend.

I saw their Voodoo Lounge tour at the Alamodome (was that '94?) and again in San Antonio at the Spurs new (at the time) arena in '01 or '02, I think. Both were great shows, but they destroyed in the smaller arena. I'm happy to have those as lasting memories.

I don't blame anyone for going, especially if you've never seen them.

I just received an email from COTA about ticket sales, and found their description of the band kinda silly:

Multi-GRAMMY® Award-winning English rock band, The Rolling Stones, will play the COTA Super Stage on Sunday, May 24, 2020 — their first show in Austin since 2006!

I mean, yeah, they have won multiple Grammy Awards, and they are English, so it's not inaccurate.  Was the creator of this tag 19 years old?

I assume Honky Tonk campground is like boondocking/no hookups?  Or is it no alcohol, in which case Keith Richards comes and smokes heroin in your fifth wheel while taking body shots off your wife?  

On 2/4/2020 at 1:46 PM, horn4life said:

HAHAHAHA!

Saw the Stones in both Houston at the Dome and the Cotton bowl in 1981... because Keith could die any day!  The Dallas show was the day after the rain show and blue, blue skies made a nice backdrop, as ZZ Top was finishing their set. I thought we were screwed as I was at the top of the lower deck and it was going to take an hour at best to fight my way to the floor.  Suddenly three huge security guys brushed past and I grabbed my roomie and tucked in behind them.  We were on the floor in about 3 minutes. 

Then in 2005 I took the whole family and my daughters are on the video in the front row on the CD.

might miss them this time but who knows.

Yep saw em in '81 cause that was gonna be my last chance, 'cept for the 2005 show I saw of course.

Pass on this tour. Both shows were the same basically. Both were pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...