Texas Panhandle Being Choked by Fecal Dust

Horn Under a Bad Sign

In the Panhandle, which produces a fifth of the U.S. beef supply, communities are being choked by fecal dust from nearby feedlots. Texas' regulatory agency isn’t doing anything about it—and it’s about to get a whole lot worse.

https://www.texasobserver.org/cafos-panhandle-tceq/?utm_source=med&utm_medium=ext_circ&utm_campaign=feb_3_2020_monthly

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

Golly what a shocking revelation......I'm 60 and was born and raised in Castro Co. and trust me its been like this since then.....and so now its a problem. That old farmer is just trying to get some retirement money. 

When I was young, doctors and athletes used to extol the health benefits of cigarettes .... and so now it's a problem.

Do you think our understanding of things might have changed a little bit since the Eisenhower administration?   And do you not see how, with twice as many people in the United States, there might be more cows in the Panhandle, or how the effects of this are cumulative?

23 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

Golly what a shocking revelation......I'm 60 and was born and raised in Castro Co. and trust me its been like this since then.....and so now its a problem. That old farmer is just trying to get some retirement money. 

You're riddled with fecal dust?

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You oughta read the comment threads on TM's feed about this story.  A long line of folks calling TM a bunch of pussy communists, californians, libtards, what have you for [checks notes] publishing an article on terrible air quality.

The pointless polarization is utterly depressing.

or the dude in the article could fucking move to where, I don't know; maybe it's a little less agrarian. Instead he's pissing up a rope and wanting to know why the government can't fix it...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I find it fascinating that the overlap is almost total between folks who regularly respond to any story involving law enforcement shenanigans with "the solution is simple: wanna avoid trouble with the cops?  DON'T BREAK THE LAW" and folks who say "the guy who wants the law enforced is in the wrong, he should move."  Truly fascinating.  

It'd be interesting to read some quotes related to this intersection, or maybe it's just a figment of your wild imagination...

and the situation in the article is more like someone screaming at the DPS to arrest more speeders.  yep, they're breaking the law.  Certain stuff slides...

Edited by Iceman

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You oughta read the comment threads on TM's feed about this story.  A long line of folks calling TM a bunch of pussy communists, californians, libtards, what have you for [checks notes] publishing an article on terrible air quality.

The pointless polarization is utterly depressing.

Yea, saw that earlier. Nothing but dipshits saying it's nothing new or one goofball who said when it gets bad just turn the AC on and it goes away. lol wtf

When I was young, doctors and athletes used to extol the health benefits of cigarettes .... and so now it's a problem.

Do you think our understanding of things might have changed a little bit since the Eisenhower administration?   And do you not see how, with twice as many people in the United States, there might be more cows in the Panhandle, or how the effects of this are cumulative?

You must be really old. I was born in 61 and my brother was born in 56 and the small town doctor told my mother to quit smoking especially during her pregnancies. By the late 60’s we were hiding her cigarettes because we heard they were deadly.

22 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Lubbock definitely stinks

The feedlots moved north a long time ago (area upon which the article is focused - essentially around Amarillo) for the most part.  Lubbock still gets plenty of dust when the wind blows in the spring, but a lot less "shust" than it used to.  Way less disgusting and problematic than the pollen and other air contaminates we deal with in Austin for six months every winter and spring.  

Of course, you may have meant this in the nonliteral sense in which case . . . yeah.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:51 PM, Hpara759 said:

ok boomer

• Like 2

Yeah whatever, let’s all be vegans then. 

That said, many times during the mid-90s I’d jog out of the locker room at Tascosa High School for football practice to be met by a wall of Hereford cow shit smell. And I mean a wall. Hurts your throat it’s so thick. It almost gives you heartburn.  

Was actually welcomed because it meant that the wind shifted and the temp was about to go up. Nothing worse than that northern freezing ass wind that smells like okies. 

Texas Observer needs to go observe somewhere else. They can start with observing the human shit all over the streets of my current home town. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 12:55 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Every argument in America basically boils down to you're a fascist and you're a libtard these days.  It really sucks for those few of us that are neither.

Sounds like something a fascist, no wait a libtard, no wait a fascist would say.

20 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Yeah whatever, let’s all be vegans then. 

That said, many times during the mid-90s I’d jog out of the locker room at Tascosa High School for football practice to be met by a wall of Hereford cow shit smell. And I mean a wall. Hurts your throat it’s so thick. It almost gives you heartburn.  

Was actually welcomed because it meant that the wind shifted and the temp was about to go up. Nothing worse than that northern freezing ass wind that smells like okies. 

Texas Observer needs to go observe somewhere else. They can start with observing the human shit all over the streets of my current home town. 

Or, I mean, there are things that can be done to control the dust.  The answer doesn't have to be "fine, let's all be vegans."  There are ways to operate a business that produces waste that limit the impacts of that waste.  It's done all the time.  There are actually numerous protocols and plans for exactly this issue.  But they cost a little extra money, and it's much more important to have society as a whole bear the cost of breathing in shit dust than it is to cost a few people a few percentage points of profit.  Socializing the costs, privatizing the profits -- that's a bad balance.

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Or, I mean, there are things that can be done to control the dust.  The answer doesn't have to be "fine, let's all be vegans."  There are ways to operate a business that produces waste that limit the impacts of that waste.  It's done all the time.  There are actually numerous protocols and plans for exactly this issue.  But they cost a little extra money, and it's much more important to have society as a whole bear the cost of breathing in shit dust than it is to cost a few people a few percentage points of profit.  Socializing the costs, privatizing the profits -- that's a bad balance.

Yeah, you might be right. I honestly don’t know or even care all that much. If you can throw up some regulations and make it way better, then I think everyone would listen. Regulations may result in a $30 burgers. But again, I don’t really care.

It’s just funny how journalists living 600 miles away suddenly get all worked up and concerned about something that has been going on for 60 years or more. And there is 1 thing about Panhandle folk that I know to be true: they don’t do a lot of socializing of costs. And really has it been proven to be a social economic burden? In the scheme of things, I can think of a lot more expensive social responsibilities than shit clouds.   

Anyway, I was always more concerned with Pantex. Pretty sure it’s why my piss still glows in the dark  

And- I do think we should sue Oprah again. That was like the most fun ever had in Amarillo. Well, most fun not involving Amarillo women. 

Was a fun place to grow up. Maybe time for a visit. And a burger. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

It’s just funny how journalists living 600 miles away suddenly get all worked up and concerned about something that has been going on for 60 years or more. And there is 1 thing about Panhandle folk that I know to be true: they don’t do a lot of socializing of costs. And really has it been proven to be a social economic burden? In the scheme of things, I can think of a lot more expensive social responsibilities than shit clouds.   

Anyway, I was always more concerned with Pantex. Pretty sure it’s why my piss still glows in the dark  

This guy gets it

• Like 1

Family is in the cattle business up there. Smells like money to me.

I grew up having to clean out the horse barn. The horse shit would dry out so fast that even walking on it would fill the air with shit particles. Stick a shovel in there and the air fills up like someone dropped a shit based chem trail inside. 

Id go to sleep at night wheezing shit out of my lungs, but at least it was a break from fixing fence. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Family is in the cattle business up there. Smells like money to me.

I grew up having to clean out the horse barn. The horse shit would dry out so fast that even walking on it would fill the air with shit particles. Stick a shovel in there and the air fills up like someone dropped a shit based chem trail inside. 

Id go to sleep at night wheezing shit out of my lungs, but at least it was a break from fixing fence. 

Man. My Dad used to say the same thing. “Smells like money” 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buck Strickland said:

Raised in the panhandle and it is an open secret that not only does the TCEQ look the other way, cancer rates are through the roof in the counties that contain feedlots.  It always amazed me how under reported this issue is.

Cancer rates are thru the roof? I honestly don’t know. Is there a number you can share that shows that relative to other populations?

8 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Yeah, you might be right. I honestly don’t know or even care all that much. If you can throw up some regulations and make it way better, then I think everyone would listen. Regulations may result in a $30 burgers. But again, I don’t really care.

And- I do think we should sue Oprah again. That was like the most fun ever had in Amarillo. Well, most fun not involving Amarillo women. 

Was a fun place to grow up. Maybe time for a visit. And a burger. 

There was an effort to bring hog farming en masse to the Panhandle about 20 years ago, but the pushback was insane.

I grew up with the wind from Hereford wafting into my nostrils.  Some days it was awful, some days the wind carried it away from us.  Hogs are a different story.  Way worse.

• Like 1