Texas Panhandle Being Choked by Fecal Dust

Horn Under a Bad Sign

There used to be some feed lots northwest of El Paso along I-10. Quite a fragrance just driving by, but last time I was out there they were gone.

One of my sons is a VP with Farm Credit Bank of Texas. Now & then he has the pleasure of inspecting his bank’s assets. Says the same thing about “smelling like $$$$”. He prefers checking out the almond growers out in California or the sugar cane plantations in Louisiana. Lulz

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 1:51 PM, UTPhil2006 said:

Lubbock definitely stinks

Most definitely.

In high school, I took a trip to Tech to visit my cousin who wanted me to consider going to Tech. My God, the constant blast of manure wind in Lubbock was overwhelming. I didn't consider anything else about TTU other than the place stunk, no way I was living in that place.

30 minutes ago, F250 said:

Most definitely.

In high school, I took a trip to Tech to visit my cousin who wanted me to consider going to Tech. My God, the constant blast of manure wind in Lubbock was overwhelming. I didn't consider anything else about TTU other than the place stunk, no way I was living in that place.

I actually lived in Lubbock for six years from 1990 through 1996 and am no fan nor defender of the place. The manure smell only happened rarely in summertime on a few distinct, humid summer nights when a rare south-easterly breeze wafted all the way from the coast (the feed lots were around Slaton).

The smell you recall was more likely the cotton seed processing plant on the northern edge of downtown. Yeah, that was an earthy stank, but it wasn't cow shit.

Edited by bolverk
Through not though

On 2/6/2020 at 11:24 AM, Gucci_Suit said:

Yeah whatever, let’s all be vegans then. 

That said, many times during the mid-90s I’d jog out of the locker room at Tascosa High School for football practice to be met by a wall of Hereford cow shit smell. And I mean a wall. Hurts your throat it’s so thick. It almost gives you heartburn. 

What  you were smelling was "money."

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 9:11 PM, Gucci_Suit said:

Cancer rates are thru the roof? I honestly don’t know. Is there a number you can share that shows that relative to other populations?

Good question, looked it up and didn't see where Deaf Smith County was particularly higher on the cancer mapping, although the 2 counties south, Parmer and Castro were.  I spent 6 years at the beginning of my surveying career in Hereford working for the county surveyor and it was one of his theories about the cancer rates.  He would talk about the EPA being paid off by the local power brokers.

We surveyed many feedlots and they are bad but they don't have shit on hog farms and/or dairy farms for that matter.