Rush Limbaugh's corpse continues to rot

Gil Bang

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

For someone not batting for Rush you seem to take offense often

Clarifying your response doesn’t mean I was offended. Not even close

I apologize for assuming you were wanting to have a real discussion, not to throw troll darts. 

Edited by slorch

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

Clarifying your response doesn’t mean I was offended. Not even close

I apologize for assuming you were wanting to have a real discussion, not to throw troll darts. 

The only real discussion available here is that rush Limbaugh was a disgusting person who had only a negative influence on society and profited from hate and influencing others to hate. You want some middle ground where he isn’t a huge piece of shit and unfortunately that middle ground doesn’t exist. 
How about this, let’s a real discussion about Goebbels. I assume you have no issue condemning him as one of the most vile persons ever on the planet. So if you condemn one morally repugnant, racist, hate profiteer then why do you struggle to condemn the other 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Carson made a generation laugh late at night.

Stewart got a generation of people to laugh by pointing out the lunacy of elected officials through the use of humor.

Limbaugh got millions of Americans to hate their fellow human beings because of skin color and country of origin. There is no humor here. Just a legacy of anger, bitterness and profiteering off of hatred of those deemed lesser than that no self-respecting individual would want to be the mark they left upon the world. He had an opportunity to spend the final year of his life trying to right the wrongs he committed, but he chose hate and stuck with it to the end. 

Nobody loves their fellow human beings because they watched Jon Stewart.  He's just left wing version of Rush who had high profile guests and a large staff of writers. 

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Hitler comparisons...

smdh. 

Are why we have Godwin's law. 

Seriously nothing is more telling than a band of incensed trolls screaming about "hate speech."  I'll make the bold prediction many of you are daily viewers of CNN etc. 

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Incorrect. Rush catapulted to fame from NYC's WABC, which was his flagship station until he moved to NYC's WOR in 2014. I like how you guys pretend you are ruled by "outsiders" when your godking is a Manhattan real estate tycoon and all your media personalities cut their teeth on NYC radio, or Fox News, also HQed in NYC. You guys have even sold yourselves on Rudy G being an outsider now and that assclown was the mayor of NYC. 

And he also didn't create the right wing hate media industry although he may have perfected it. He essentially took Art Bell's format, took out the fun conspiracies, took out the pretense of being unbiased, and added hateful rhetoric. 

He was a shithead. The fact that he may not have believed any of the shit he sold you, and was only in it to make money,, makes him even worse. 

I said the "NY-DC Axis" not one radio station in NYC after Rush had already established himself in small markets.  And the pre-Rush talk radio was obscure AM stuff that no one had heard of.  Now there are hundreds of Rush clones on multiple stations. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 14

15 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

In life, unfairly vilified and misunderstood.  No creature of god’s creation deserves this kind of vitriol!  Cursed by the extremists on both sides, yet never stopped growing and maturing even though time on this earth was too short.  Even despite the curses, insults and hate filled poison coursing in the blood stream.  Not the hero we wanted, but the hero we needed.   Rest in peace cancer.... with our deepest appreciation.

Not getting enough love.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Tom said:

In what ways are Jon Stewart and Rush comparable?

Jon Stewart is funny and is a comedian.  Rush was neither. 

Jon Stewart overall is a good person who loves and cares about this country and the people in it.  And it shows.  Rush's show was full of hate and its sole purpose was driving a wedge between the American people and stoking anger in order to promote conservatism.

Stewart can talk to people on the other side who don't share the same views with him and be civil and respectful while making his point or promoting his views.  Rush was not capable of that.

Jon Stewart called out the hypocrisy and liars and manipulators in media.  Rush was a hypocrite, a liar, and a manipulator in the media.  

They're not comparable unless you're comparing how polar opposite they are.

Rush couldn't support his beliefs in an argument the way that Stewart can because he never really held those or any beliefs. He has only ever played devil's advocate to the democrats. He was smart enough to not debate liberals because it's much easier to win an argument with a straw man. It's the model of the modern republican. It's also very effective with stupid people.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Rush couldn't support his beliefs in an argument the way that Stewart can because he never really held those or any beliefs. He has only ever played devil's advocate to the democrats. He was smart enough to not debate liberals because it's much easier to win an argument with a straw man. It's the model of the modern republican. It's also very effective with stupid people.

Any time he would have anyone on that could go toe to toe with him in a debate, or probably wipe the floor with him, he would drop their call before he would start talking shit. That way no one with any ability to do so could refute the shit he was saying. It's the radio version of hiding behind your buddies while telling another guy you're going to kick his ass. Total bullshit, and and the ultimate bitch move. 

God bless Molly Ivins. Sagacious Texas treasure who had Limbo pegged* from the get go. She was warning this country about what led to Trump’s election thirty years ago.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/1995/05/lyin-bully/

Heres the title and sub:

Lyin’ Bully

Instead of picking on someone his own size, Rush consistently targets dead people, little girls, and the homeless–none of whom can fight back.

In an interview with the Crimson she said this about populism:

“It is one of the great tragedies of American history that populism was essentially destroyed by racism.”

Ivins! Fired from The NY Times because she described a chicken-killing festival as a “gang pluck.”

*Bill Hicks, performing in Austin, said Limbo was the type of perv who got hard only when he was peed on by the likes of Reagan and Bush, but to get Rush off, Barbara Bush was called in. When Barbara dropped her drawers, a wrinkled labia fell to her knees like a ball-less scrotum. I will spare y’all the rest, but, it was alimentary.

He was undeniably talented and wildly influential, but the praises I’ve seen for him (and some of the criticisms) look through a very short-sighted lens.

His greatest influence wasn’t any set of policies or coherent political philosophy he pushed. His greatest influence was in chipping away at a shared, objective reality. Much like Trump, whether or not you like or hate his views is somewhat beside the point. This brand of conservatism made it impossible to have any rational public discourse.

Making our opinion of these types of public figures as dependent upon whether or not you agree with their end result misses more foundational issues. In fact, it buys into the destructive ideology that Rush helped to spread. When reality is subservient to ideology, we can’t actually discuss our shared reality. There’s no real political discussion if there’s no shared reality, Yes, “both sides” do it, but one side has weaponized it to cause far greater harm. The body count isn’t even close.

Rush was the spiritual father to a brand of conservatism that has caused massive death and suffering. That’s not a statement about policy but a statement about values and honesty, which have far more direct impact on our lives than any good or bad policy.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Nobody loves their fellow human beings because they watched Jon Stewart.  He's just left wing version of Rush who had high profile guests and a large staff of writers. 

Seriously nothing is more telling than a band of incensed trolls screaming about "hate speech."  I'll make the bold prediction many of you are daily viewers of CNN etc. 

The bolded is quite the HOT TAKE. I mean you really swung for the fences with that take.

If you are going to throw out something incendiary like that it is incumbent on you to prove your assertion. 

Your bold prediction probably won’t be shown to hold more truth than that hot take. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Stewart can talk to people on the other side who don't share the same views with him and be civil and respectful while making his point or promoting his views.  Rush was not capable of that.

Thanks for recalling Limbaugh's intellectual cowardice. I used to attack that all the time in old discussions on Hornfans. He went on Letterman one night and started his spiel. It was the usual snide name-calling and punnery. You could see he was taken aback that the audience didn't laugh. He became rattled with some teasing from Letterman.

I never saw him appear before anything but a canned audience after that. This makes me think that he is also partly the cause of so many Ditto Heads assuming that everyone in the room agrees with them; the assume that they're simple right and everybody knows it. These Ditto Heads can't handle argument any better than their cowardly radio god.

Fuck 'em.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Are why we have Godwin's law. 

I said the "NY-DC Axis" not one radio station in NYC after Rush had already established himself in small markets.  And the pre-Rush talk radio was obscure AM stuff that no one had heard of.  Now there are hundreds of Rush clones on multiple stations. 

Here's some hate speech, Notre Dame Joe: Catholics are a bunch of piece of shit child molester enablers.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

From Molly Ivins, 1993:

Being attacked by Rush Limbaugh is like being gummed by a newt. The current champion of the ad hominem argument has seen fit to reflect on me because I quoted what I still think is one of the funniest examples of white-backlash thinking I have ever come across.

The quote in question was the immortal observation, made by a Limbaugh listener at a coffee group in Weatherford, Texas, in August, “Why, I agree with Rush that racism is dead. I just wonder what the n*ggers are going to find to complain about now.”

This quote caused some Limbaugh “dittohead,” as he calls his followers (Do you suppose they are actually flattered by that?), to call, gobbling with outrage, which seems to be a constant condition with many dittoheads, to demand how I dared accuse Rush of racism.

Sigh. What I really hold against Limbaush is that many of the people who listen to him seem so singularly unable to reason their way out of a paper bag. Although we have no hard evidence of this as yet, I infer that this is a consequence of listening to the The Master several hours a day.

Perhaps it is not fair to hold a radio talk-show host responsible for the several idiocies of his listeners, so let’s consider Limbaugh himself.

Here is a Limbaugh joke: Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is also a White House dog?” And he puts up a picture of Chelsea Clinton. Chelsea Clinton is 13 years old.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Jon Stewart overall is a good person who loves and cares about this country and the people in it.  And it shows.  Rush's show was full of hate and its sole purpose was driving a wedge between the American people and stoking anger in order to promote conservatism.

Jon Stewart called out the hypocrisy and liars and manipulators in media.  Rush was a hypocrite, a liar, and a manipulator in the media.  

Your tunnel vision could be an electron microscope. 

Funny how everyone who actually met Rush found him a humble and funny guy.  His eulogists today always include a story of how they met him and some generous thing that he did.  

• Fuck You 9

6 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Your tunnel vision could be an electron microscope. 

Funny how everyone who actually met Rush found him a humble and funny guy.  His eulogists today always include a story of how they met him and some generous thing that he did.  

Stop sucking his dick; he's dead, Joe. 

21 hours ago, Tom said:

Anyone who believes that bullshit should watch Stewart's congressional testimony on behalf of 9-11 responders. He actually cares. On a side note, they should also watch Mr. Rogers' testimony saving public television. Both are examples of what good caring celebrities can do with their star power. Rush never gave a shit about anyone. And had Rush ever testified before Congress, it certainly wouldn't have been on anyone's behalf. It would have been against people. An empassioned cry to kill all Mexicans or something like that. He represented everything wrong with modern conservatism. It is reactionary and negative. Always against and never for anything. And that is partially Rush's fault. He made conservatives into super shitty people because he is super shitty. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 11:14 AM, FondrenRoad said:

Incorrect. Rush catapulted to fame from NYC's WABC, which was his flagship station until he moved to NYC's WOR in 2014. I like how you guys pretend you are ruled by "outsiders" when your godking is a Manhattan real estate tycoon and all your media personalities cut their teeth on NYC radio, or Fox News, also HQed in NYC. You guys have even sold yourselves on Rudy G being an outsider now and that assclown was the mayor of NYC. 

And he also didn't create the right wing hate media industry although he may have perfected it. He essentially took Art Bell's format, took out the fun conspiracies, took out the pretense of being unbiased, and added hateful rhetoric. 

He was a shithead. The fact that he may not have believed any of the shit he sold you, and was only in it to make money,, makes him even worse. 

you leave Art Bell, may God rest his west of the Rockies soul, out of this.

23 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

The only real discussion available here is that rush Limbaugh was a disgusting person who had only a negative influence on society and profited from hate and influencing others to hate. You want some middle ground where he isn’t a huge piece of shit and unfortunately that middle ground doesn’t exist. 
How about this, let’s a real discussion about Goebbels. I assume you have no issue condemning him as one of the most vile persons ever on the planet. So if you condemn one morally repugnant, racist, hate profiteer then why do you struggle to condemn the other 

[Slorch] Goebbels was a dedicated family man who stuck with his wife and kids to the bitter end. He was also a loyal company man and an innovator in his field. Show some respect. [/Slorch]

And you know what, Goebbels was all of those things. Take away the loyal to wife and kids part and you have Rush Limbaugh. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Anyone who believes that bullshit should watch Stewart's congressional testimony on behalf of 9-11 responders. He actually cares. On a side note, they should also watch Mr. Rogers' testimony saving public television. Both are examples of what good caring celebrities can do with their star power. Rush never gave a shit about anyone. And had Rush ever testified before Congress, it certainly wouldn't have been on anyone's behalf. It would have been against people. An empassioned cry to kill all Mexicans or something like that. He represented everything wrong with modern conservatism. It is reactionary and negative. Always against and never for anything. And that is partially Rush's fault. He made conservatives into super shitty people because he is super shitty. 

Rush gave a waitress a $2,000 tip, just because he could. 

Oh and lol if you think Stewart's 'testimony' wasn't scripted.

Edited by notre dame joe
  • Fuck You 19

16 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

you leave Art Bell, may God rest his west of the Rockies soul, out of this.

[Slorch] Goebbels was a dedicated family man who stuck with his wife and kids to the bitter end. He was also a loyal company man and an innovator in his field. Show some respect. [/Slorch]

And you know what, Goebbels was all of those things. Take away the loyal to wife and kids part and you have Rush Limbaugh. 

I was and am a huge Art Bell fan. I was just saying he did conspiracy radio right. Its supposed to be fun. Rush and Alex Jones made it hateful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rush Limbaugh was gross. He advocated for people to dislike racial and sexual minorities, he was an inveterate sexist, he constantly slapped down at people who had done nothing wrong to score political points. He pushed for policies that would hurt people different from him. He was a bloviating hypocrite who decried moral decay among poor, minority communities while he zoned out on hillbilly heroin, took sex tours to tropical islands, and changed wives like normal people change cars. At the end- and here is where he is closest to Goebbels— he agitated for the end of American democracy. The Republic is better off now that his voice will never go out over AM airwaves. 

Where Limbaugh mocked the disabled, Goebbels convinced people that the disabled should be used for medical experiments and then euthanized. Where Limbaugh stoked interracial strife, Goebbels advocated that religious and racial minorities should be used as slave labor and then gassed and cooked in ovens. And then all those thing happened.

Some perspective is in order. A Limbaugh dehumanizes, a Limbaugh prepares you to view the Other as the enemy. A Limbaugh is necessary for a Goebbels to exist. But a Limbaugh is not a Goebbels. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Rush gave a waitress a $2,000 tip, just because he could. 

Oh and lol if you think Stewart's 'testimony' wasn't scripted.

I have no doubt that Stewart prepared his testimony beforehand. Anyone should. But it was clearly heartfelt. Stewart is a good talk show host but not a good actor. 

Rush made 85 million dollars. And your one example of kindness is him giving $2000 to a waitress. Lol.  NBA players find that laughable.  Like most conservatives, you and he believe that trying to buy someone equals charity. She gave that tip to a pro choice charity, FYI.  Some people can't be bought. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Rush Limbaugh was gross. He advocated for people to dislike racial and sexual minorities, he was an inveterate sexist, he constantly slapped down at people who had done nothing wrong to score political points. He pushed for policies that would hurt people different from him. He was a bloviating hypocrite who decried moral decay among poor, minority communities while he zoned out on hillbilly heroin, took sex tours to tropical islands, and changed wives like normal people change cars. At the end- and here is where he is closest to Goebbels— he agitated for the end of American democracy. The Republic is better off now that his voice will never go out over AM airwaves. 

Where Limbaugh mocked the disabled, Goebbels convinced people that the disabled should be used for medical experiments and then euthanized. Where Limbaugh stoked interracial strife, Goebbels advocated that religious and racial minorities should be used as slave labor and then gassed and cooked in ovens. 

Some perspective is in order. A Limbaugh dehumanizes, a Limbaugh prepares you to view the Other as the enemy. A Limbaugh is necessary for a Goebbels to exist. But a Limbaugh is not a Goebbels. 

I just don't think that given the opportunity Goebbels had, Limbaugh wouldn't have jumped his fat ass on it with nary a second thought. We are all products of our times. Some of us have an influence on those times. Limbaugh did as much as anybody in American history to move the ball to where we have to make fine distinctions like those in your post. 

• Like 1

Its been a couple of days now since I first heard the news of Rush's passing, and as I work my way through the grieving process I think what hurts the most is coming to terms with the gift that was taken from us. Rush is dead. Its over. I will never again feel the giddy satisfaction of learning that foul piece of shit finally kicked the bucket. Sure, we have several others to look forward to, but few will fill the sizable void that fat fuck managed to occupy. Sad times indeed, but I will pick up the pieces and soldier on.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Where Limbaugh mocked the disabled, Goebbels convinced people that the disabled should be used for medical experiments and then euthanized. Where Limbaugh stoked interracial strife, Goebbels advocated that religious and racial minorities should be used as slave labor and then gassed and cooked in ovens. 

And yet, as your last paragraph asserts, a Goebbels needs a Limbaugh in order to exist. The guy that intentionally opens the door for the killer is often worse than the killer.  In Limbaugh's case, I guess he wasn't as bad as Goebbels but he wanted to create an environment where a Goebbels can arrive and do the dirty work. So it isnt exactly a bad comparison. Modern conservatism is all about radicalizing people to kill gays, or black people, or attack the capitol. The fact that Rush was afraid of getting his own hands dirty doesn't make him a better person than a listener that gay bashed someone after listening to one of his broadcasts.  Bin Laden never killed anyone. But he is worse than Mohammed Atta because he made Atta. Rush made a lot of terrorists. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I will say this, the people arguing that he should be respected because he transformed and monetized AM radio in a way no one else did can GTFO.

More than a whiff of “look, can’t we all remember and appreciate Karl Fritzsch’s ingenuity in unlocking the full potential of what had been a banal pesticide called Zyklon-B.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I will say this, the people arguing that he should be respected because he transformed and monetized AM radio in a way no one else did can GTFO.

More than a whiff of “look, can’t we all remember and appreciate Karl Fritzsch’s ingenuity in unlocking the full potential of what had been a banal pesticide called Zyklon-B.”

And he ruined of my favorite Pretenders songs, and then Chrissie Hynde embarrased herself sending him a nice letter about his use of that song helped her reconnect with her Dittohead dad. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Rush Limbaugh has died from lung cancer
  • Gil Bang changed the title to Rush Limbaugh's corpse continues to rot