Bacon tastes good. The pre-statin LDL Thread

54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My completely non-medical opinion is that some doctors take the lazy way out by giving you a prescription because patients mentally feel relieved to have a prescription or cynically, it's purely defensive medicine.

There are studies that show an increase in patient satisfaction scores (HCAHPS) with a patient receiving a prescription drug after their visit.  Some allege it's one of the main drivers of the opiod epidemic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spur08 said:

There are studies that show an increase in patient satisfaction scores (HCAHPS) with a patient receiving a prescription drug after their visit.  Some allege it's one of the main drivers of the opiod epidemic.

Probably a lot of truth to that.  You don't really have to "go far" to have something that medicine can't really deal with effectively in a lot of cases:  most mental health problems, seizure disorders, etc.  It's really disheartening for a patient with one of those conditions to walk out of the office without a "solution."  I imagine the prescription of some pill ameliorates a lot of that.

38 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

and this scenario is the perverse incentive program that is in place. Don't give the patient exactly what they want and the doctor or hospital faces potential financial penalties. Instead prescribe something unnecessary that costs the consumer/insurance plan $1000 annually, and everyone is happy. 

• Like 1

What are the downsides of taking statins?  As I said above, I was diagnosed with CAD and my LDL is 74 with no family history. My cardiologist put me on 5 mg of Lipitor, which is half of the lowest dose they make. She said people with CAD who have an LDL of over 70, they recommend being on it. She also told me to take 81 mg of aspirin a day. 
Curious about staying side affects and downsides as well

2 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

What are the downsides of taking statins?  As I said above, I was diagnosed with CAD and my LDL is 74 with no family history. My cardiologist put me on 5 mg of Lipitor, which is half of the lowest dose they make. She said people with CAD who have an LDL of over 70, they recommend being on it. She also told me to take 81 mg of aspirin a day. 

I haven't researched it.  But I "heard" that there is a link.  This overview says they have studied it and there is no link.   

https://www.healthline.com/health/high-cholesterol/link-between-statins-and-memory-loss#statins-and-memory-loss

I took 10 mg. of Crestor and its generic for about 12 years or so.  It wasn't constant or too severe, but I thought it caused some pain in my right thigh, mostly upon first getting out of bed and getting up after sitting down for extended periods.  I was never sure if it wasn't caused by exercise, but now that I've been off the meds for about 13 months, I don't notice any pain.  My numbers are ok--I do quarterly blood tests, but if my lipids get out of wack I would not hesitate to get back on the Crestor.

• 2 years later...

I hate having to search and bump this thread but after years of being borderline for high cholesterol I just did my annual physical and the labs came back really bad for my lipids.  I have to talk with the doctor tomorrow about what the next steps are.  I am now at 229 total cholesterol (been 200-210 for the last 20 years) with the LDL at 168 which is the doctor's concern.  My LDL has never been that high but spiked on this blood test compared to previous years.  Not sure how concerned I should be in him recommending a Statin or if he tells me to go the diet and exercise route.  

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I hate having to search and bump this thread but after years of being borderline for high cholesterol I just did my annual physical and the labs came back really bad for my lipids.  I have to talk with the doctor tomorrow about what the next steps are.  I am now at 229 total cholesterol (been 200-210 for the last 20 years) with the LDL at 168 which is the doctor's concern.  My LDL has never been that high but spiked on this blood test compared to previous years.  Not sure how concerned I should be in him recommending a Statin or if he tells me to go the diet and exercise route.  

I avoided taking a statin for years, focused on diet, lost weight, etc.  But the LDL continued to be a problem.  I have a sister who is eleven years older than I am.  She is in great shape, exercises, eats well, doesn't drink or smoke, and also has high cholesterol.  That's a fairly good indicator that my less than stellar numbers were genetic.  Even after getting a CT-Calcium scan (scored zero), I finally decided to give it a try.  Doctor put me on 10mg of Lipitor 3x per week.  My cholesterol and Triglyceride numbers are great now.  I take Co-Q-10 daily as well (supposed to help with the muscle pain).  I had some muscle pain for the first week or so, but nothing since then.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, dcbc said:

I avoided taking a statin for years, focused on diet, lost weight, etc.  But the LDL continued to be a problem.  I have a sister who is eleven years older than I am.  She is in great shape, exercises, eats well, doesn't drink or smoke, and also has high cholesterol.  That's a fairly good indicator that my less than stellar numbers were genetic.  Even after getting a CT-Calcium scan (scored zero), I finally decided to give it a try.  Doctor put me on 10mg of Lipitor 3x per week.  My cholesterol and Triglyceride numbers are great now.  I take Co-Q-10 daily as well (supposed to help with the muscle pain).  I had some muscle pain for the first week or so, but nothing since then.

Doc just prescribed 10mg Crestor daily.  He said based on family history it looks like genetics may be causing the high LDL as my father and brother have it also.  I feel like my life is ending by getting put on cholesterol medicine for some reason.  Don't know how to explain that.  

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Doc just prescribed 10mg Crestor daily.  He said based on family history it looks like genetics may be causing the high LDL as my father and brother have it also.  I feel like my life is ending by getting put on cholesterol medicine for some reason.  Don't know how to explain that.  

I’ve been on 10 mg Crestor for many years.  No side effects at all.  Lipids and overall cholesterol numbers are pretty much perfect. 

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Your life of being concerned with elevated LDL #s is ending.  But the rest of it should remain intact. 

My issue is primarily triglycerides. I was on zetia, Fenofibrate, and lovalo. I cannot take a statin as my muscles just turn to stone. Recently got put on Rapatha 420mg which is a monthly injectable. Stupid expensive but they have a coupon to get it to $5 a month.

I’m also Type 2 diabetic. Trulicity and Mounjaro have been great for getting my A1C to 6.1 and dropping 60 pounds.