Mark Dantonio stepping down at Michigan State

texifornia

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

One of the most important coaches ever at Sparty. 

Great coach, an absolute cuss, and with a healthy appreciation of moral gray areas. And clearly gives no fucks about recruiting given the timing.

Given that there are more allegations of impropriety, he may not have had the option.  

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2020/02/04/blackwell-lawyers-detail-allegations-msus-mark-dantonio-committed-multiple-ncaa-violations/4655797002/

Edited by Trey3216

15 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

That is one hot mess of a situation.

There's a big rb recruit out of Georgia, Jordan Simmons, who still needs to ink.

Those new allegations are relatively minor and likely bullshit trying to force more bad publicity and coerce a settlement. Which.. Good luck with that now. Blackwell's attorneys have been spoon feeding all kinds of allegations to the Detroit News and they have been more than happy to run with them. 

►Dantonio had Blackwell accompany him on a Metro Detroit home visit of an unnamed five-star recruit, when Blackwell, in his role as director of college advancement and performance, wasn't authorized to conduct off-campus visits.

Dantonio said in his Jan. 10 deposition that Blackwell never did any home visits because it would've been an NCAA violation. He did recall Blackwell once traveling with him to see a recruit, but that Blackwell remained in the car.

Blackwell called shotgun, thus he was obligated to go on the trip.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

They have 19 signees, so it's not nuke-the-place situation like if Rhule had resigned now with his 13 commits. Still not optimal, obviously.

No one in the top #400 and one-of-two Big Televenteen teams without of 4*. I’d let anyone out of their early LOI if they wanted and backfill with grad transfers. The experience would help in ‘20, plus you can rid yourself of bread that doesn’t fit your program.

Hate to see him leave under a cloud but it was pretty clear that the end would be coming soon. He surprised everyone by not making any changes to his staff after going 7-6 last year, he just shuffled responsibilities. I don't know if the latest news forced his hand. Maybe the AD demanded he make staff changes and he balked at that. I don't know. He's the winningest coach in the history of the program but he went 27-24 over the last four years and the talent/development seemed to be slipping. The timing is strange but I think he'd be a jerk if he waited to quit until just after signing day. Better now than next week. 

For most of his career he was known for running a clean program and doing things the right way. He's a good coach, a good guy, a good family man, a sturdy son of Ohio, and I'll always be grateful for his defense that helped tOSU win a national championship in 2002. I wish him all the best. 

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Hate to see him leave under a cloud but it was pretty clear that the end would be coming soon. He surprised everyone by not making any changes to his staff after going 7-6 last year, he just shuffled responsibilities. I don't know if the latest news forced his hand. Maybe the AD demanded he make staff changes and he balked at that. I don't know. He's the winningest coach in the history of the program but he went 27-24 over the last four years and the talent/development seemed to be slipping. The timing is strange but I think he'd be a jerk if he waited to quit until just after signing day. Better now than next week. 

For most of his career he was known for running a clean program and doing things the right way. He's a good coach, a good guy, a good family man, a sturdy son of Ohio, and I'll always be grateful for his defense that helped tOSU win a national championship in 2002. I wish him all the best. 

A good man? How many rapes did he cover up (allegedly)? I’m a michigan fan but fuck taylor lewan and Frank Clark as well as any other player did fucked up shit

• Like 3

Dantonio said he would remain in the athletic department, a position that will pay him $1 million a year, according to terms of his contract.

On Jan. 16, Dantonio earned a $4.3 million retention bonus, "in recognition of his long-service to the University."

Dantonio plans to speak during a news conference scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Breslin Center, according to the university. It will be aired on the Big Ten Network.

26 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

A good man? How many rapes did he cover up (allegedly)? I’m a michigan fan but fuck taylor lewan and Frank Clark as well as any other player did fucked up shit

How many can you prove he covered up? The school hired an outside agency to investigate and he was cleared of wrongdoing. You're a rival fan eager to believe anything negative about the other program. I need actual proof. 

You say 'fuck those Michigan players who did fucked up shit.' What about their coaches? You're not being consistent. 

I wonder if MSU can pull a current head coach or they have to go coordinator

Detroit news mentions Fickell or Narduzzi they will have to pay up for either of them and even then not sure about Fickell he seems content to be a hero at Cincy and slow roll them to more and more money for a long time until perhaps some really great seemingly "can't miss" job opens up

he has only a $2 million buyout though and makes $2.4 million that should be chump change for MSU to beat.....but then again when you are making $2.4 these days and probably can get $3+ with another good season and for a rolling 5 years (if he just keeps doing well they just keep bumping it along) do you really take one of these 3 or 4 and you get done or you are done jobs for another $1.5 million a year

34 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I wonder if MSU can pull a current head coach or they have to go coordinator

Detroit news mentions Fickell or Narduzzi they will have to pay up for either of them and even then not sure about Fickell he seems content to be a hero at Cincy and slow roll them to more and more money for a long time until perhaps some really great seemingly "can't miss" job opens up

he has only a $2 million buyout though and makes $2.4 million that should be chump change for MSU to beat.....but then again when you are making $2.4 these days and probably can get $3+ with another good season and for a rolling 5 years (if he just keeps doing well they just keep bumping it along) do you really take one of these 3 or 4 and you get done or you are done jobs for another $1.5 million a year

That situation is a mess. They have no QB on that roster. No skill players I can think of. Why would you leave Cincinnati for that mess? If he waits and has another good year he will get a better job then MSU and a pay raise 

• Like 1

Wonder if they would throw money at Matt Campbell? Or a real flyer here, maybe Izzo can get his best buddy Mariucci one last gig. 64 years old so he could try and right the ship for a year or two. No idea if he's interested in coaching again, but Herm Edward's gave it a shot.

Seriously as many problems that MSU has with the roster, they are in an even worse situation to hire a head coach.

The president has been there less than a year, coming from Stony Brook and even worse the Athletic Director is a lifelong administrator who was the VP and secretary for the Board of Trustees, assistant to the provost and assistant dean of finance for the College of Human Medicine. He was named interim AD when Mark Hollis unexpectedly retired, by then (idiot, asshole, former governor) interim President John Engler who promised a nationwide search. And then a few months later deemed Beekman the best candidate without even a sniff of a search.
Beekman graduated from graduated from a HS about 4 miles from MSU, got his undergraduate degree in justice, morality and constitutional democracy from James Madison College at MSU.
I'm not saying he can't do the job, I'm saying how in the hell do you pick someone like that to do the job? Someone who hasn't been a leader of a department, active in athletics, recruiting, NCAA regulations, etc. He is a transition manager at best and now is responsible to lead an the effort to find a replacement for the most important position in the Athletic department.

I can speak to deaf ears. Dantonio covered up zero rapes. That's slanderous. I get that many here don't care and only read headlines and immediately form opinions but facts are a real thing and when you dig into them, that's just not true. What Dantonio DID do, and I've been very clear about it here, before other news outlets caught on, was admit Austen Roberston after sexual assault issues in High School. Now again, if you dig into the FACTS, there is ample evidence that the serious allegations against Robertson were not disclosed to MSU before he was admitted, only the minor ones. But still...he was admitted, and he raped a student and was convicted of that. In my opinion that is pretty unforgivable. But at least learn the facts. 

• Like 3

I don't really think anyone cares here, but I'm gonna follow up with another post. I do think it's important. 

I'm not a fan. I'm a Spartan. Like many of you are Longhorns. I'm not sworn to defend my alma mater against any and all allegations. I will absolutely all them out when they have wronged. I don't even want to discuss Nassar. It's fucking gross, and there was a ton of negligence there and I'm fully on board with Kathy Klages and others being held responsible. If you were swayed by the ESPN slam piece, I ask you to reconsider. I ask you to deal in facts also. I ask you to look into allegations if you care. I understand, again, most of you do not. But I ask you to withhold judgement unless you do. I was taught a major lesson by this ordeal. And in all likelihood, you will not learn this lesson until it happens to UT, or whatever school you attended and bleed the colors of. I know what happened. I've read the FOIAs, I've read the OCR reports, I've read the police reports, I've watched the interviews. 

The shit being alleged here, is ridiculous and not an indication of the truth. 

The MSU campus was victimized by a serial sexual predator and multiple athletes, coaches, trainers, and parents were hoodwinked into thinking nothing sinister was going on. It was awful. It should have been stopped at multiple points. Those responsible should be held responsible. 

It literally has nothing to do with Mark Dantonio or Tom Izzo and their programs. If it did, I would advocate for their beheadings yesterday. 

• Like 4