Mark Dantonio stepping down at Michigan State

texifornia

I don't really think anyone cares here, but I'm gonna follow up with another post. I do think it's important. 
I'm not a fan. I'm a Spartan. Like many of you are Longhorns. I'm not sworn to defend my alma mater against any and all allegations. I will absolutely all them out when they have wronged. I don't even want to discuss Nassar. It's fucking gross, and there was a ton of negligence there and I'm fully on board with Kathy Klages and others being held responsible. If you were swayed by the ESPN slam piece, I ask you to reconsider. I ask you to deal in facts also. I ask you to look into allegations if you care. I understand, again, most of you do not. But I ask you to withhold judgement unless you do. I was taught a major lesson by this ordeal. And in all likelihood, you will not learn this lesson until it happens to UT, or whatever school you attended and bleed the colors of. I know what happened. I've read the FOIAs, I've read the OCR reports, I've read the police reports, I've watched the interviews. 
The shit being alleged here, is ridiculous and not an indication of the truth. 
The MSU campus was victimized by a serial sexual predator and multiple athletes, coaches, trainers, and parents were hoodwinked into thinking nothing sinister was going on. It was awful. It should have been stopped at multiple points. Those responsible should be held responsible. 
It literally has nothing to do with Mark Dantonio or Tom Izzo and their programs. If it did, I would advocate for their beheadings yesterday. 
You are probably right. He resigned for personal reasons.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Seriously as many problems that MSU has with the roster, they are in an even worse situation to hire a head coach.

The president has been there less than a year, coming from Stony Brook and even worse the Athletic Director is a lifelong administrator who was the VP and secretary for the Board of Trustees, assistant to the provost and assistant dean of finance for the College of Human Medicine. He was named interim AD when Mark Hollis unexpectedly retired, by then (idiot, asshole, former governor) interim President John Engler who promised a nationwide search. And then a few months later deemed Beekman the best candidate without even a sniff of a search.
Beekman graduated from graduated from a HS about 4 miles from MSU, got his undergraduate degree in justice, morality and constitutional democracy from James Madison College at MSU.
I'm not saying he can't do the job, I'm saying how in the hell do you pick someone like that to do the job? Someone who hasn't been a leader of a department, active in athletics, recruiting, NCAA regulations, etc. He is a transition manager at best and now is responsible to lead an the effort to find a replacement for the most important position in the Athletic department.

It would definitely be a more attractive job if Mark Hollis was still the AD. 

14 hours ago, Blotto said:

Wonder if they would throw money at Matt Campbell? Or a real flyer here, maybe Izzo can get his best buddy Mariucci one last gig. 64 years old so he could try and right the ship for a year or two. No idea if he's interested in coaching again, but Herm Edward's gave it a shot.

What about Frank 'Solich?

It’s Tressels job for 1 year as intern. You’re going to lose a bunch of games but then you have the whole season of conducting a proper search. If you can’t get Fickell now then any other hire is a panic hire. Also Narduzzi would be plan B but he would have to make about 5 million a year and you’re going to pay a 7 win a year coach who’s 7 games over .500 that kind of money??? I would for Fickell but no one else. Like I said it’s Fickell or keep Tressel for 1 year and conduct a proper search

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

It’s Tressels job for 1 year as intern. You’re going to lose a bunch of games but then you have the whole season of conducting a proper search. If you can’t get Fickell now then any other hire is a panic hire. Also Narduzzi would be plan B but he would have to make about 5 million a year and you’re going to pay a 7 win a year coach who’s 7 games over .500 that kind of money??? I would for Fickell but no one else. Like I said it’s Fickell or keep Tressel for 1 year and conduct a proper search

what about a coin flip between Jim Grobe and John L. Smith

based on overall success and what Baylor ended up like Grobe seems the easy choice for one year compared to the Smith track record......but maybe Smith is finally coming into his own

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

This is probably the smartest move. It may not be the direction they go but as Fumble says, they're gonna need them a Jim Grobe this late in the day and Tressel can fill those shoes. After that? I say go outside and hire someone who isn't so tied to the school.

Just reading about the dysfunction gives me flashbacks to how Baylor has operated for decades, hiring and promoting friends, family and alumni with no consideration for actually being qualified to lead. At Baylor the litmus test involved a Bible, I get the sense that at MSU it's all about if they bleed green. Either one is a terrible way to run an institution of any quality or accountability.

Edited by El Diablo

19 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

And in all likelihood, you will not learn this lesson until it happens to UT, or whatever school you attended and bleed the colors of. I know what happened. I've read the FOIAs, I've read the OCR reports, I've read the police reports, I've watched the interviews. 

The shit being alleged here, is ridiculous and not an indication of the truth. 

Good luck presenting facts to the lynch mob. I don't know the story here and don't really care, but I empathize.

I think you're right about bolded. Except...it has happened here. We had our own serial sexual assaulter and harasser not too long ago at all. He was Mack's longtime buddy and right hand man, and remained in a position of power within the football program for thirteen years. His abhorrent criminal behavior was so well known, the women around the office had a nickname for him. Those were the days, when men who earned the nickname "Old Freak Nasty" from the office women could commit sex crimes at the workplace with impunity. Three women accused "Old Freak Nasty" of assault, and one finally had the courage to come forward and file a complaint. God knows how many actual victims he had during this thirteen year run, or if he ever did something worse than kiss women and fondle their breasts.

We're lucky the Cleve Bryant fiasco happened in 2011, when many of these stories quietly went away. If it happened now, I can only imagine the shitstorm that would ensue. Letting a guy who earned the nickname "Old Freak Nasty" roam around Belmont preying on women for over a decade? Yikes.  It definitely wouldn't be a one-sentence footnote on his wikipedia page.

I wonder how much Mack knew?  

24 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Good luck presenting facts to the lynch mob. I don't know the story here and don't really care, but I empathize.

I think you're right about bolded. Except...it has happened here. We had our own serial sexual assaulter and harasser not too long ago at all. He was Mack's longtime buddy and right hand man, and remained in a position of power within the football program for thirteen years. His abhorrent criminal behavior was so well known, the women around the office had a nickname for him. Those were the days, when men who earned the nickname "Old Freak Nasty" from the office women could commit sex crimes at the workplace with impunity. Three women accused "Old Freak Nasty" of assault, and one finally had the courage to come forward and file a complaint. God knows how many actual victims he had during this thirteen year run, or if he ever did something worse than kiss women and fondle their breasts.

We're lucky the Cleve Bryant fiasco happened in 2011, when many of these stories quietly went away. If it happened now, I can only imagine the shitstorm that would ensue. Letting a guy who earned the nickname "Old Freak Nasty" roam around Belmont preying on women for over a decade? Yikes.  It definitely wouldn't be a one-sentence footnote on his wikipedia page.

I wonder how much Mack knew?  

Quietly went away? Did you forget Gloria flying in and tmz “reporting”? This isn’t bcs, Gainesville or Norman.

16 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Quietly went away? Did you forget Gloria flying in and tmz “reporting”? This isn’t bcs, Gainesville or Norman.

I don't, but TMZ reporting makes it a big story? How many people outside Austin knew the name Cleve Bryant at the time? Maybe I'm exaggerating, but it sure feels like it quietly went away, relative to the way these kinds of stories have been reported the last few years.

This isn’t bcs, Gainesville or Norman.

And yet, we employed a sex criminal for 13 years.

Edited by CurlyDumps

16 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I don't, but TMZ reporting makes it a big story? How many people outside Austin knew the name Cleve Bryant at the time? Maybe I'm exaggerating, but it sure feels like it quietly went away, relative to the way these kinds of stories have been reported the last few years.

And yet, we employed a sex criminal for 13 years.

Gloria Allred flying in and TMZ running with it is a big deal. 

What was done with Joe Mixon at ou, that was quiet.

43 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Gloria Allred flying in and TMZ running with it is a big deal. 

What was done with Joe Mixon at ou, that was quiet.

How do you think the coverage of our scandal in 2011 compared to the coverage of the Urban Meyer/Zach Smith Scandal in 2018?

Cleve was put on administrative leave in Oct. 2010, and the story wasn't even reported nationally until Sept. 2011.

Hell, just look at the activity on our own boards:

Cleve Bryant 2010 Thread - 4 pages, 196 posts

Cocktopus 2011 Thread - 6 pages, 270 posts.

Urban/OSU 2018 Thread - 99 pages, 4934 posts

Zach Smith 2018 Thread -  57 pages, 2834 posts

And our scandal was worse. WAY worse in terms of what actually happened at the school.

14 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

How do you think the coverage of our scandal in 2011 compared to the coverage of the Urban Meyer/Zach Smith Scandal in 2018?

Cleve was put on administrative leave in Oct. 2010, and the story wasn't even reported nationally until Sept. 2011.

Hell, just look at the activity on our own boards:

Cleve Bryant 2010 Thread - 4 pages, 196 posts

Cocktopus 2011 Thread - 6 pages, 270 posts.

Urban/OSU 2018 Thread - 99 pages, 4934 posts

Zach Smith 2018 Thread -  57 pages, 2834 posts

And our scandal was worse. WAY worse in terms of what actually happened at the school.

How did it compare to Urbans players criminal behavior in Gainesville? It took Netflix to tell the nation about Hernandez.

Fisher's S&C having to revive a guy while "toughening" him up in his first BCS offseason?

Mixon?

LSU river of shit in BR?

Baylor? 

on and on......

Edited by Goodman

5 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Intern?

EuphoricNegativeKodiakbear-size_restrict

Edited by Beau Vine

15 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

what about a coin flip between Jim Grobe and John L. Smith

based on overall success and what Baylor ended up like Grobe seems the easy choice for one year compared to the Smith track record......but maybe Smith is finally coming into his own

i would love to see John L back in EL 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Goodman said:

How did it compare to Urbans players criminal behavior in Gainesville? It took Netflix to tell the nation about Hernandez.

LOL. Did you watch the documentary? Did you see how many reporters were outside Hernandez's home the day he was arrested? The level of stupidity it took for you to commit that sentence to the internet forever is astonishing.

And by the way, anything Urbs did (short of covering up murder, of which there is zero evidence) isn't as bad as the Cleve scandal.  Unless you believe covering up teenage petty theft crimes is worse than allowing a middle aged man to commit sexual assault while at work.

Fisher's S&C having to revive a guy while "toughening" him up in his first BCS offseason?

Mixon?

LSU river of shit in BR?

Baylor? 

on and on......

Do I dare ask what your point was when you decided to shart three random scandals and one incident I hadn't even heard of out of your mouth? Three of which are DEFINITELY not as bad as employing an adult sex criminal in a position of power for over a decade? What is your argument? Ours wasn't that bad cause what about Baylor? Do you not see you are proving the exact point I was trying to make? lol, why even bother asking? Of course you don't. 

I'd say I regret engaging you as if you were an adult with a functioning IQ, but I did kinda have fun finding those old Shaggy threads.

Edited by CurlyDumps

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

$100/ month might just be the right price...

FWIW - in this context he means Mike Tressel who was on Dantonio's staff at Cincinnati and came to MSU with him in 2006. 
You might be confusing him with his uncle Jim Tressel who was a Ohio State, left in shame, and is now the President of Youngstown State. The odds are better that MSU would hire Urb than they would Jim Tressel (but then again anything is possible)

BTW my sources are telling me that Fickell is going to get the job, and that it is being announced yesterday....so I'm guessing that wasn't the best information

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

FWIW - in this context he means Mike Tressel who was on Dantonio's staff at Cincinnati and came to MSU with him in 2006. 
You might be confusing him with his uncle Jim Tressel who was a Ohio State, left in shame, and is now the President of Youngstown State. The odds are better that MSU would hire Urb than they would Jim Tressel (but then again anything is possible)

BTW my sources are telling me that Fickell is going to get the job, and that it is being announced yesterday....so I'm guessing that wasn't the best information

My reply was in jest towards the internship in the post in the quote

Edited by Iceman

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

Whoopsie

fucking $5 to $6 million a year damn

they must going all in on Hairball getting fired from Michigan soon (or no new contract this is his last year coming up) and perhaps Penn State falling off some

who knows if Day can keep it going at tOSU, but even if they do MSU looks to be angling to be the clear #2 in the Big 10 if they are looking at paying that money

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I would've been surprised if Fickell took the MSU job. He'd rather follow the Brian Kelly track than the Mark Dantonio track. He also just signed the top recruiting class in the AAC. He can do better. 

Agreed. He could conceivably end up at a Michigan State caliber job for his next step, but not in the short-term-- he'd have to plateau at Cincinnati below where they currently are. If he goes 7-5 there for another 3-5 years, then a step up to MSU makes sense. Right now, as you say, he can rightly expect to have a shot at whatever top-tier job comes open and is a good cultural fit. I don't see him at USC or LSU, but Notre Dame? Penn State? Those could make sense. 

Just saw this...

Sources: Luke Fickell to remain at Cincinnati despite interest from Michigan State

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28671208/sources-luke-fickell-remain-cincinnati-interest-michigan-state

Interesting stuff in article....

"Dantonio, 63, said last week that allegations made about him and his football program in a recent lawsuit had "zero" impact on his decision and that he wanted to spend more time with his wife and children after 13 years as head coach of the Spartans.  His announcement came one day after former Michigan State recruiting director Curtis Blackwell filed an update in an ongoing lawsuit claiming that Dantonio and the Spartans committed multiple NCAA recruiting violations. Blackwell said Dantonio helped arrange jobs for multiple high-level recruits and took Blackwell on recruiting visits, which is against NCAA rules because Blackwell was not an on-field coach."

Edited by LTtxfan

Monday’s update on Michigan State’s search

By Doug Samuels.       February 10, 2020

With Luke Fickell now off the table the search for Mark Dantonio’s replacement in East Lansing moves on.   Sources tell FootballScoop Bret Bielema has let Michigan State know he’s highly interested in the job. After two seasons with the Patriots, Bielema recently accepted the outside linebackers job on Joe Judge’s new staff with the New York Giants. The former Arkansas head coach had a lot of success at Wisconsin, where he went 68-24 including a 37-19 mark in the Big Ten with conference titles and Rose Bowl trips in the 2010, ’11 and ’12 seasons.   A big personality, Bielema would win the press conference and battle Jim Harbaugh, Ryan Day and James Franklin for attention — something that could be of use for Michigan State. He’s also highly motivated to take the job, meaning he’d come without haggling over price.

Pete Thamel writes that Cal’s Justin Wilcox, and Kentucky’s Mark Stoops as two other guys that the Spartans may reach out to, and Adam Rittenberg tweets that Penn State defensive coordinator Brent Pry and Central Michigan’s Jim McElwain could be potential targets as well. (Rittenberg has since followed saying Pry will remain at Penn State.)  Price could be an issue here. Michigan State paid Dantonio $4.4 million in 2019, less than what Stoops made at Kentucky ($4.75 million). Would Michigan State really be willing to go into the $5 million range for a guy that’s 44-44 in seven seasons as a head coach?

With Fickell — and Pat Narduzzi, and Matt Campbell, and Mel Tucker, and Robert Saleh — now out of the picture, one must circle back to what we wrote early last week:  There was speculation back months ago that Dantonio planned to step away late in the coaching change cycle so that Michigan State would somewhat be forced to turn to defensive coordinator Mike Tressel to step into the head coaching role. Today, Tressel was named interim head coach; and has to be considered a candidate for the full-time position.

With the search now in Week 2 and the top-level candidates all staying put, the process has now moved from “Who can we get?” to “Who will take this job?” Bielema is there for the taking and Mike Tressel is…. there. Butch Jones would love the job….

https://footballscoop.com/news/mondays-update-on-michigan-states-search/

Edited by LTtxfan

For the record - between Bert, Jones and Mike Tressel, I'd pick Tressel all day and twice on Saturdays.

Butch Jones is a disaster that MSU doesn't need to try and rehab, Bert was a joke at Arky (one that I did enjoy).
I was in the Narduzzi or Fickell camp, but it is apparent that this is a tainted job and Tressel deserves a chance to show he can make the needed improvements; and hopefully not get back into the rinse/wash/repeat cycle of the end of Duffy from 1972 up through Stolz , Rogers, Muddy Water in 1982 going 62-65-5, with; followed by the end of Perles from 1994 through Saban, Booby Williams, Johnelle in 2006, going 78-75-1.
Two decade long periods of absolute mediocrity, at best. (compared to 114-57 for Dantonio and 79-29-4 from 1955-1966.

Oh well, at least Zeke can still catch a frisbee during time-outs and between quarters
Image result for zeke the wonder dog

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Take a flyer on some hot young FCS guy. Matt Enz from NDSU for example. His offensive thinking would mesh well, and he's good at recruiting. Get you 2 coordinators who know Ohio HS recruiting and go kick butt.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread, what MSU really needs is an AD with a background in this shit. So while what you said makes some sense, really that is step 2 or 3, after a new AD. 
The new AD isn't happening anytime soon, so I expect it to be Tressel from the current staff, because it looks like no one wants to be part of the dumpster fire.

No problem, there is always Izzo and hoops season......oh shit, don't look now, but they are in 4th place in the conference and looking at a 4 game losing streak unless they can win a roadie this week.