Mark Dantonio stepping down at Michigan State

texifornia

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I just love reading a thread where people from Cincinnati can look down at people in East Lansing. Is that like people in Baghdad making fun of people in Aleppo? 

Cincinnati's fun, dude. Over-the-Rhine is a really cool neighborhood and all the hills and historic buildings are surprisingly pretty.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Arkansas has interest in Bert having interest in the MSU job as well....millions of interest and a lawsuit

25 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Arkansas has interest in Bert having interest in the MSU job as well....millions of interest and a lawsuit

Sorry. Posted the same thing to the Bielema thread at about the same time, before I saw yours. The Bielema thread title needed a bump anyway. 

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Everybody has a price

Exactly. Coming off a 5-7 record with a hard fought 3-6 Pac12 conference mark, you gotta stick to your guns and demand what you're worth. Especially impressive when you factor in that the previous two years prior to Tucker, the lowly Buffs only managed b2b 5-7 seasons. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not a question of whether CU would take him; it’s a question of whether he would go to CU. I doubt he would at this point when he’s this close to an NFL HC position. 

Yeah, he's got NFL HC written all over him.  I hope so anyway.

I don't think this is going to work out well for MSU

usually these types of hires where one program seemingly on about the same level money whips a coach do not work out

see aggy with Little Debbie and see aggy with Jumbo as two well known examples

in the case of aggy the issue is they think they have higher standards for winning than reality allows for...I think that is part of the main issue with hires like this.....programs think it is a competition to spend money so then they get all pumped up because they out spent another similar program and tell themselves that means they are now on another level and then reality sets in fast and hard on the field and then things really get out of control

in this case MSU probably should be a better overall program than CU for a couple of reasons the main one being that CU went to the PAC 12 so they could still compete while having shit like this happen to them.....they were not interested in trying to keep up with the top programs in the Big 12 (even the Big 12 now) they were more interested in being able to "stay in budget" and win a few games and hope to be in the upper half of the conference with occasional surprise seasons

in the case of MSU they have about 8 other programs in the Big 10 willing to take that position (or worse) and MSU at least tries to not be that program

for CU I think they were also caught off guard that some other PAC 12 programs finally started to spend some money and of course they were surprised how shitty their recruiting got....now that weed is legal there they can just say fuck it who cares got high 

I think CU and most of the PAC 12 is also still shell shocked how shitty Larry Scott is and the money differences they are also facing

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Didnt he double his pay? Colorado could have stepped up and matched it. What would you do if another company came along and offered you double?

I think the hypocrisy is all his bitching about players going into the portal, and then bouncing with a quickness once he found a better situation for himself, even right after NSD.

So if the background on the timing of Coach D retiring is correct; that he wanted to coach 2020 and retire after this year AND pick his replacement. And that the AD hired a search firm to start the process of setting the parameters of the search and then Coach D caught wind of that and immediately stepped down. 
Well, apparently, what he did was screw over his entire staff - and now they all have to find a new job, out of the normal cycle, as Coach Tucker just let them all go.

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

So if the background on the timing of Coach D retiring is correct; that he wanted to coach 2020 and retire after this year AND pick his replacement. And that the AD hired a search firm to start the process of setting the parameters of the search and then Coach D caught wind of that and immediately stepped down. 
Well, apparently, what he did was screw over his entire staff - and now they all have to find a new job, out of the normal cycle, as Coach Tucker just let them all go.

Horribly handled by all of the above.

I just don't get the need for search firms though. State is a major university in a big-time conference. If anyone is interested their agent can call the AD. Pitt had a horrible experience with what was basically a crooked search firm which helped bring about the Kevin Stallings disaster. And I never agree to a coach picking his successor. You are paid millions to coach, not to serve as AD too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I just don't get the need for search firms though.

It makes the people hiring and consulting with the search firm feel important. 

You probably (or, might) work with someone who travels constantly at their own discretion, but never seems to produce anything from the travels. Same fucking principle. 

• Like 1

Horribly handled by all of the above.

I just don't get the need for search firms though. State is a major university in a big-time conference. If anyone is interested their agent can call the AD. Pitt had a horrible experience with what was basically a crooked search firm which helped bring about the Kevin Stallings disaster. And I never agree to a coach picking his successor. You are paid millions to coach, not to serve as AD too.

Search firms (like a lot of consultants) are as much about politics as they are about actually finding people

They

a) let the admins cover their asses if they guy they pick sucks

b) act as a disinterested third party to help make arguments less personal and act as a reason to lean in a direction. When two BMDs are at each others throats, and the admin doesn't want to make either of them mad, they can use the search firm as a scapegoat for why one of the two had to lose out on their choice. Then they both will hopefully keep donating to the school, which is worth more than the firm's fee.

I just don't get the need for search firms though. State is a major university in a big-time conference.

I believe one of the reasons that outside agencies (search firms in this case) are used is that it gives a public institution a buffer from FOIA requests. MSU also used a search firm last year to find a new President, with the commentary being that people could be very reluctant to have their name come up on a FOIA requested document.

• Like 1