Mark Dantonio stepping down at Michigan State

texifornia

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Search firms (like a lot of consultants) are as much about politics as they are about actually finding people

They

a) let the admins cover their asses if they guy they pick sucks

b) act as a disinterested third party to help make arguments less personal and act as a reason to lean in a direction. When two BMDs are at each others throats, and the admin doesn't want to make either of them mad, they can use the search firm as a scapegoat for why one of the two had to lose out on their choice. Then they both will hopefully keep donating to the school, which is worth more than the firm's fee.

Their main purpose is to vet coaching candidates. I think it was the shutdown fullcast or another CFB podcast I listen to who had on a president of a search firm and despite the term used for them searching and providing a list of available candidates isn't a huge part of what they do. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Freddie and Fitz had Drew Pearson on their show the other night, Pearson's grandson had signed with CU and Pearson was HOT about Tucker leaving the way he did. He'd cooled off some about Mel but the whole affair led him to commenting more on how the student athletes aren't getting fairly treated or compensated by the schools they become contractually bound to. The grandson is I believe a DE, his lineage is Pearson on the one side and Kavika Pittman's from his moms side. That's a bloodline!

I always think the search firm thing is bullshit too, but I understood it was for the reasons that Wallly and Catdaddy said

so that potential candidates do not get outed or at least outed as quick as they could if they or their fat little agent is talking directly to the university...if Tucker had stayed at CU, but he had really hard negotiations with MSU even after he told everyone he was staying (and say it came out that he had agreed on a salary for himself, but it came down to an issue of not enough for the assistants pool or some improvements to facilities) and that got out between now and the start of the next season that is pretty damaging to him in front of the team he has been beating the shit out of in spring and fall practices

same thing with university presidents and now highly producting research faculty as well.....you land a $10 million dollar grant and some other school comes to poach you after you just used the grant writing team at your current school and the list of their facilities to land that grant....and now some other school offers you $70,000 a year more and a fresh new lab with all new equipment and some additional grad student and post doc money and you seriously considered it.....even with tenure academic administration types can be really whiny petulant assholes when they feel that you were going to leave them and take your research with them and worse your fellow tenured faculty

and I think a lot of ADs could catch less shit if they called it a "vetting team" instead of a search firm then they can say "well as an AD I do not have the staff or the knowledge of how to dig through candidates trash and and crawl in their assholes to try and find out if they lied about a degree or fucked a chubby latina trainer at their last job"

but you still need that firewall to shield yourself from those you are dealing with and protect their anonymity

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Search firms (like a lot of consultants) are as much about politics as they are about actually finding people

They

a) let the admins cover their asses if they guy they pick sucks

b) act as a disinterested third party to help make arguments less personal and act as a reason to lean in a direction. When two BMDs are at each others throats, and the admin doesn't want to make either of them mad, they can use the search firm as a scapegoat for why one of the two had to lose out on their choice. Then they both will hopefully keep donating to the school, which is worth more than the firm's fee.

c.  Shield a lot of shit from open records laws.

12 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

So if the background on the timing of Coach D retiring is correct; that he wanted to coach 2020 and retire after this year AND pick his replacement. And that the AD hired a search firm to start the process of setting the parameters of the search and then Coach D caught wind of that and immediately stepped down. 
Well, apparently, what he did was screw over his entire staff - and now they all have to find a new job, out of the normal cycle, as Coach Tucker just let them all go.

Oh noes! Mel fired all of Dino's friends that Spartan fans wanted to see fired two years ago! How recently were you worried that Mike Tressel would get the job and the whole staff would be retained? 

The scenario you painted sounds implausible. Is there a legitimate source to back that up or is it just coming from the internet rumor mill?

Honestly there is so much scrutiny over all things MSU right now that everyone is fucking paranoid about everything. And everything that happens is just another reason for local (and sometimes national) media to blast MSU. I'm not trying to illicit sympathy but it's reality. I thought MSU handled the search ok given that everyone knew their top choice was Fickell. They had a great list of a top 4 with MSU and local ties, all of whom anyone would have been happy with. Fickell, Saleh, Tucker, Narduzzi. 3 of them saw the writing on the wall and made pre-emptive statements about staying put. No idea the actual level of interest in the case of Duzzi and Saleh. I would assume some and a little, respectively. But MSU comes to agreement with their guy, everything is sweet and good, and they wake up Monday morning to find out wife overruled/cold feet/whatever. MSU people were pissed. To a person... Admin, search firm, donor, trustee, etc... They all understood Fickell had accepted and would be the next coach. 

Well, he didn't. I'm not gonna kill him for it. But they went back to one of their Plan B guys, upped the ante and got him to reconsider. 

I'm not all that enamored with Fickell that I think Tucker is a huge downgrade. Fickell has the 2 11 win seasons. Tucker has a lot more SEC and GA/TX connections but the backgrounds are similar. 

I can find, and psycho MSU fans, and local and natural media can fixate on - how they fucked up the Fickell thing. And they sort of did. They probably could have landed Fickell if they didn't hit the slow mo button towards the end of last week. Why did they hit that button? Because we're getting killed at every angle locally and nationality. Can't just go and hire the hot candidate with no other interviews. Need to interview the Lebanese guy with MSU ties. Need to interview the black guy with MSU ties. Part of this was strongly encouraged by the BOT. 

So maybe Fickell got cold feet during the delay. I'm personally pretty ok with Tucker. I don't remember the guy, had never heard of him. When I saw his resume I was like ok, yeah, that dude would be a great hire. 

Given all of that I think it worked out pretty damn well and I don't really think we stepped on our dicks for once. But the portrayal is that we stepped on our dicks. Which I guess I can understand, I'm just not really sure it's reality.

Also Kathy Klages was found guilty today of two counts of lying to police. She was told in 1997 by two gymnasts that Larry Nassar had sexually assaulted them, but convinced them it wasn't true. She claimed that she didn't remember those conversations. Literally this has nothing to do with MSU football but it's worth mentioning. 

• Like 4

Dantonio was an assistant coach at MSU in the 90's. Fickell has no connection there. Fickell is a devout Catholic, his wife is happy where they are, they have six kids and like their schools. He just signed a great recruiting class, MSU might be facing NCAA sanctions, and there's instability in the athletic dept. 

Former Buckeye and St. Louis Rams LB James Laurinaitis, who played for Fickell and is best friends with, and former roommate of, Cincy DC Marcus Freeman, has a show on the Columbus ESPN Radio affiliate and he opined for weeks that he didn't think Luke would take the job. I don't know how much insider info he has but I know he talks to both Fickell and Freeman regularly. I'm not sure if Fickell was ever all that close to taking the job. There were rumors about him being hired before he even agreed to an interview so it's hard to take any of these reports too seriously. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

Take a look at some of the replies to this tweet from Colorado fans; I'm amazed how bad they feel and vile they can tweet about losing a 1 year coach who went 5-7. But hey whatver

tl:dr

replies include
a guy puking
#nointegrity
#hireBobbyPetrino
#judas #traitor
#fake
#youhavenohonor
#snake
#clown

LOL, damn I get that he said he was staying, but he'd been there 1 year

#

6 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Take a look at some of the replies to this tweet from Colorado fans; I'm amazed how bad they feel and vile they can tweet about losing a 1 year coach who went 5-7. But hey whatver

tl:dr

replies include
a guy puking
#nointegrity
#hireBobbyPetrino
#judas #traitor
#fake
#youhavenohonor
#snake
#clown

LOL, damn I get that he said he was staying, but he'd been there 1 year

#

They feel like he lied to them. It leaves them in a pretty shitty position. Their biggest issue is a general lack of money for athletics. College athletics isn't that big in Colorado.

7 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm amazed how bad they feel and vile they can tweet about losing a 1 year coach who went 5-7

all you need to know is, he was there for one year

that much leadership turnover is not good for a program whether it's because the program is firing people too fast or because coaches are getting the fuck out of Dodge

edit, so, to my conclusion, Colorado fans are just pissed because any coach leaving after one year is a kick in the dick unless you have a really good reason for wanting him gone, and 5-7 is about what they do (so, they didn't)

Edited by SwanderedTalent

On 2/12/2020 at 12:15 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Edit: So Mel Tucker fucked over Colorado to be named as Michigan Aggys corch? Classy move. 

He wanted to continue his undefeated streak over Nebraska

On 2/14/2020 at 9:42 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Mel Tucker seems like a piece of shit.  Reminds me exactly of how Gene Chizik left Ames.

Buffs deserve nothing but the best

17 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I'm not trying to illicit sympathy but it's reality.

Who the fuck here would feel it

On 2/14/2020 at 8:40 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Well, apparently, what he did was screw over his entire staff - and now they all have to find a new job, out of the normal cycle, as Coach Tucker just let them all go.

Not quite the whole MSU staff now...

Michigan State: Defensive staff members Mike Tressel and Ron Burton are being retained. Tressel served as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach last season while Burton worked with the defensive tackles. Their specific roles have not been announced.

I'm sure Colorado wouldn't think of hiring a coach currently under contract somewhere else. I'm certain they will only hire a currently unemployed coach, likely on an interim basis, to get them through this year. 

I also expect to be engaged to Ariana Grande before April.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

all you need to know is, he was there for one year

that much leadership turnover is not good for a program whether it's because the program is firing people too fast or because coaches are getting the fuck out of Dodge

edit, so, to my conclusion, Colorado fans are just pissed because any coach leaving after one year is a kick in the dick unless you have a really good reason for wanting him gone, and 5-7 is about what they do (so, they didn't)

While I generally frown upon any coach who leaves after only one year and believe it’s bad juju for theircfuture prospects, didn’t Colorado fire a coach after only 1 year?
Fuck ‘em!!

https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/16/mel-tucker-colorado-michigan-state-football

'We Were Hoodwinked': Inside the Final Hours of Mel Tucker as Colorado's Head Coach

The night he took the Michigan State job, Mel Tucker was affirming his commitment to Colorado boosters and fans, who are now left frustrated and angry.

ROSS DELLINGER AND PAT FORDE

4 HOURS AGO

At a Colorado donor event he organized Tuesday night, Tim Harrington expected the featured guest to be his normal self—fiery, intense, gregarious—but that wasn’t necessarily the case. In fact, Mel Tucker spoke at such a low pitch that the hum of a nearby mini fridge almost drowned him out. “The whole thing was surreal,” Harrington says during an interview with Sports Illustrated. “I know he knew exactly what he was doing the next day.”

Tucker’s final hours as Colorado’s head coach are becoming clearer, and while it’s not rare for college coaching transitions to have some bizarre elements, the situation that transpired this week in the Rocky Mountains is one of the strangest.  While working toward a deal Tuesday night to become Michigan State's head coach, Tucker spoke to more than two dozen Colorado boosters and fans at a fundraising event at the Denver Country Club, soliciting their donations while expressing his commitment to the program. Sipping on his trademark Scotch and water, Tucker paraded through a reception of big-money Buff Club members in a plush, window-lined room, eventually delivering a speech and taking questions. He spoke about his passion for Colorado, described his reasons for accepting the job 14 months before and expressed excitement in the future, built around the high school players he had signed a week ago.  Tucker conveyed to supporters his “full intentions to be at CU,” says Bob Masten, a tight end for Colorado from 1969–71 and a Denver-based businessman who attended the event. In fact, when exiting the club, Masten told Tucker he was looking forward to seeing him again in a couple weeks at another donor gathering on Feb. 25. “Yeah,” Masten said Tucker told him, “that’d be great.”

Harrington, 62, spoke one-on-one with Tucker throughout the night. “The thing ended and I was talking to him and looking him in the eye,” says Harrington, a 62-year-old Denver native and Colorado graduate. “I swear to God after the event I said, ‘There is something going on.’ His eyes were not … it was almost like he wasn’t telling the truth. It was bizarre.”

An hour later, Tucker struck a deal with Michigan State to be its new coach. 

“We were hoodwinked,” says Craig Poulter, 60, a longtime CU season ticketholder and Colorado native who was there Tuesday. “Mel misled us. I believed in him.”   Harrington and five others who attended that event Tuesday night spoke to SI, one of them on anonymity, about Tucker’s exit. The manner of his departure has left those at CU angry, frustrated and disappointed. Tucker originally rejected strong interest last weekend from the Spartans, even tweeting a commitment message on Saturday. Less than four days later and 18 hours after that donor event, the Michigan State football Twitter account posted an eight-second video message of Tucker seated in a private jet bound for Michigan. “Can’t wait to see you in East Lansing,” he said in the clip. “Go Green!”

Tucker, a disciple of Nick Saban and a longtime college and NFL defensive coordinator, returned to his roots. He’s an Ohio native who played at Wisconsin and started his coaching career at Michigan State as a graduate assistant under Saban. Michigan State more than doubled his $2.7 million annual pay and provided him with a $6 million staff salary pool, roughly twice what he had in Boulder. After just one season running his own program—a 5–7 result at that—the 48-year-old went from being the ninth-highest paid coach in the Pac 12 to the 12th-highest paid coach in the nation.  Why MSU officials would dole out such a hefty contract—and length too, at six years—can only be explained by their situation.  The Spartans found themselves in a bind when longtime coach Mark Dantonio announced his retirement so late in the hiring cycle, Feb. 4, a day before National Signing Day. Things got worse after at least two prominent candidates turned down interest: Tucker on Feb. 8, a Saturday, and Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell, the day afterward on Sunday. Fickell was widely believed to be Michigan State's primary target, and when that fell through the school was in a desperate position. On Monday, MSU re-engaged with Tucker. CU athletic director Rick George was not given an opportunity to make a counter offer, even though the situation was unlikely to change. With a wallet fattened by more than $50 million in annual conference revenue, the Spartans have considerably more financial wherewithal than the Buffaloes.

Reached for comment on the timeline of events, Michigan State officials referred to athletic director Bill Beekman’s comments from earlier in the week. At some point, MSU interviewed Tucker in person but did not offer him the job. According to a story at mlive.com, Beekman offered Tucker the job Monday. Negotiations continued Tuesday until, according to Beekman, they had a deal in place by 9 p.m. MT, or about one hour after Tucker left the event at the Denver Country Club. Beekman said Tucker accepted the job at 10:50 a.m. MT on Wednesday. Michigan State officials declined further comment Sunday.

Tucker, George and others at CU involved in this ordeal were, in a way, victims of timing. This all played out over a stretch of days that included previously scheduled fundraising functions, media events and a hospital visit. George underwent back surgery on Monday. Last weekend, Tucker, George and other school administrators were part of a three-day tour of booster gatherings in Southern California, where at one point Tucker called Colorado a “destination football job.”

colorado3.webp

colorado-4.webp

On Tuesday, with that offer in hand from Michigan State, Tucker did three interviews with prominent Denver radio personalities, including Dave Logan and Alfred Williams, two former CU football greats, as well as Scott Hastings. He wasn't eager to do the interviews, said a source familiar with the situation, but they had been previously scheduled and Tucker had good relationships with all three hosts. “Listening back, in hindsight, I think there were some signs,” Hastings said in an interview Saturday. “I think losing an assistant to Tennessee [defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh], and the inability to pay enough to keep his staff, that bothered him. But he said he wanted to be here, and I took him at his word. I thought he would be at CU. Then, five or six hours after the show, someone who is in the know called me and said, 'Mel's back in play.’”

While on with Logan, Tucker hemmed and hawed through answers to two questions about his commitment to Colorado, at one point saying “I'm really excited about being here.” Then came Tuesday night at the Denver Country Club, an event Tucker attended while his agent was finalizing his new contract with the Spartans.   “It’s almost unbelievable he showed up at that event,” says Don Bechter, a Colorado supporter who lives in Denver and attended Tuesday’s function. “It was really disappointing, a bit like a betrayal. You hate to take these sports things personally, but he was a guy you really wanted to believe in. He seemed to be genuine.”

Harrington laughably refers to Tuesday’s event as "the last supper." It ran from 6 to 8 p.m. local time and was set in the swanky Fairway Room in the club’s east wing. The Denver Country Club bills itself as the oldest country club west of the Mississippi River, and its interior is themed in a vintage décor. Along with a golf course, club members have access to indoor and outdoor tennis courts, an Olympic-sized pool, a croquet and lawn bowling pitch and an outdoor skating rink. On its website, the club identifies the appropriate dress codes for social and dining experiences as well as golf and tennis.  More than a year ago, Harrington hosted one of Tucker’s first booster events as coach in the very same space used Tuesday night. This week's gathering had a different feel. At least three school athletic administrators were present at the function Tuesday, not including George, who was recovering from that surgical procedure to his back. Sensing that something was amiss before the event, at least one administrator reaffirmed with Tucker his commitment not only to the school but also the event. The coach assured them he was “all in,” says a person with knowledge of the talks. “He’s standing there knowing 30 minutes later he was going to accept or already did accept another job,” another attendee at the event said. “I think as he stood in front of that room, a deal was already done.”

During Michigan State’s first attempt to land Tucker, the coach showed transparency with school officials, and they eventually agreed to a joint announcement on social media: Tucker’s tweet on Saturday, followed by a retweet from George.  During Michigan State’s second foray, Tucker was no longer transparent. While recovering from surgery, George learned of the latest interest in his coach from a third party. “Rick knew about what had transpired before our function was over,” Harrington says. “I don’t know how Rick found out but I’m sure somebody tipped him off. It wasn’t Mel.” By the time George figured out what was happening, there was nothing he could do to change Tucker's course.

Tucker’s tweet on Feb. 8 announcing his commitment to Colorado remains on his Twitter page, creating an odd juxtaposition with a slew of recent posts regarding his new job. However, there is one tweet that has been removed from social media—a picture and message from Tucker’s appearance at the Denver Country Club event, tweeted at 6:38 p.m. by @CUBuffClub, the official account of the fundraising arm for Colorado athletics. SI obtained a screen grab of the tweet.

Tucker is an affable man who normally wins over a room with his energy and booming voice, but Harrington described him as “low key” on this night. After about 30 minutes of drinking cocktails and snacking on hors ‘devours, attendees gathered in a semi-circle to listen to Tucker give a speech and take questions. Toward the end of the Q-and-A, Bechter asked Tucker about Michigan State’s pursuit of him, now three days old. “Man, I was hoping somebody didn’t get to that subject,” Tucker said, according to Harrington.  Tucker’s answer was winding, touching on the loss of Brumbaugh, a key assistant that Vols coach Jeremy Pruitt plucked away with a significant raise. “That was disappointing,” Harrington says Tucker told the crowd, “but he made twice as much money so who could blame him?” It was a somewhat chilling line that some folks would utter about Tucker himself hours later. Tucker milled around with attendees until about 8 p.m., at which point he left with Lance Carl, an associate athletic director who drove Tucker the 30 miles back to Boulder. About three hours later, at 11:13 p.m. MT, The Athletic broke news that Tucker had agreed to become Michigan State’s next coach.

“I can understand any person reviewing their options and making a decision that financially benefits them,” says Tom Coxhead, a 61-year-old CU booster and financial adviser in Denver. “I thought to myself as a financial adviser, if he were a client of mine of how I would have advised him. I would have been hard pressed to say, ‘Don’t take it.’ What bothered me so much is he was standing in that room and misleading people.”  Harrington awoke to the news at 5 a.m. and joined his morning workout group an hour later, many of whom attended the country club event. “Everybody is going ‘Holy s---, what just happened?’” says Harrington, who works in commercial real-estate business. “My first thought in my head was ‘Damn, those poor kids.’ He lied to those kids and their families. I feel bad for the Michigan State folks. I don’t think you have somebody with good character there.”

Masten’s wife woke him with the news: Tucker’s leaving, she told him. “I said, ‘What?!’” the ex-Buffalo player recalls.   Poulter has written an extensive letter meant for Tucker, but his wife, because of its language, will not allow him to send it, he says. “I want to tell Mel thank you for being the person you are and providing me the opportunity to share with my son of how not to live life from an ethics and integrity standpoint,” says Poulter, his voice rising during an interview Saturday with SI. “He talked to us about integrity. What the hell does he do? He does it in the dark of the night, and he’s on a plane out. I see him today on (ESPN basketball) GameDay and he’s God’s gift to the world. He talks about building that program with integrity. How do you do that? Those at the event, we are a small representation of Buffs nation. The manner in which he left is a slap in the face to all of us.”

Harrington, meanwhile, has a parting gift for his old coach. Harrington’s father-in-law gave him an idea: send the bill from Tuesday night’s event to the guy with the new job and fancy, big contract.   “I’m going to do that,” Harrington says, “as I think he can afford it!”

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Had a coach that bailed after one year ever worked out? Kiffin and Taggart did not. 

I realize Kiffin is not popular to take up for, but he was 8-5 (with no bowl game possibility) his first year after Petey was 9-4 his last year and they lost a shit tonne of players which is part of why Petey bailed on them along with the looming NCAA investigation

Kiffin was 10-2 the next year again with no bowl game

they were cut 10 scholarships for 3 years and only allowed 75 total on the team and shit like that hurts

he was 7-6 his 3rd year with a Sun Bowl loss to a bad GT team, but at some point being down that many schlorship players and what Petey left them with for talent catches up

he was fired @ 3-2 with losses to a shitty WSU and a decent ASU at that time and they finished the season with Eddie O 10-4 with a win over a pretty good Fresno State

I think we can now say that Eddie O can coach even if he struggles with English, but that was Lane Train talent and Lane Train coaches that ended that season 10-4 while still having a lot of depth issues

sure it is suppose to be USC, but when you are down 30 scholarships over 30 years and 10 players total that shit hurts no matter what the program is and Lane only had one really bad season and we really don't know how they would have finished with Lane in 2013, but we do know he recruited enough talent and assembled enough of a staff even with all those restrictions to have the team finish at 10-4 and #19 even with Lane being fired 

I am not really sure I call that a complete failure as much as I call that USC just being stupid and impatient and trying to pretend all of their past fucking up was not going to catch up to them

look at it a different way compare USC and Texas being about equal in 2005....Petey leaves in after 2009 and going 9-4 and Mack stays and goes 5-7 while Lane goes 8-5 with all the bullshit going on there and then Lane does about the same as Mack on the whole for the next 4 years if you count the totality of his last year and that he recruited those players and assembled that staff

or look at it another way how fucked would Texas be if they were down 10 scholarships per year for 3 years and to 75 total AFTER Mack left......sure Charlie sucks as a head coach, and Tom has a lot to prove....but add in the shit that Lane was working with and then add in how USC has done after him an I think Lane is a lot better coach than a lot of people want to admit

plus he did pretty well at FAU that is a lot harder than what others in a similar place to him career wise have done at easier places to take over

I think CU is most pissed off because they lost a 1 year coach to a program they consider themselves to be equal to it was not a top program and they kind of feel a lot more like CSU now than CU

Edited by ButtFumble

Leaving for more money and a better opportunity is not something I would ever judge. Being a hypocritical cunt, however is when I think it’s perfectly fine to root against someone. He lied to the fans and the administration about his intentions when he did not have to. He mocked the transfer portal and stressed commitment and keeping your word. 

I hope he fails miserably and gets mired in NCAA scandal and gets disgraced as a head coach. I will be rooting for this mother fucker to fall flat on his face.  

• Like 4

Wow - SI with an article, first one I've read (outside of waiting at the barbershop) in over 10 years.

I get it that the timing sucks for CU, and that Tucker said he was staying - but money talks, and a lot of money talks loudly. Did MSU overpay, almost certainly - because of their mismanagment of the process. Thankfully I did not renew my season tickets last year, dropped them after 20+ years; so I'll go to one or two home games this year and watch the rest from my couch (probably on DVR, to skip past all the bullshit), drink beer from my fridge, eat ribs or brisket from my WSM, and pause the contest to not stand in line to get into my own bathroom

Looking back for their big write up when Nick Saban got on that LSU charter flight to take their HC job, before the end of the season.....the only above average season he had at MSU.
And I'm hoping this goes better for MSU than hiring Nick; Nick had 1 year HC experience at Toledo (he went 9-2, so MAC level but better record than Mel Tucker @ CU) then he stayed almost 5 years at MSU - going 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, 6-5-1 and then 9-2 and catching a ride to Baton Rouge on Nov 30; 10 days after the last regular season game, a month before the bowl game.

11 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Leaving for more money and a better opportunity is not something I would ever judge. Being a hypocritical cunt, however is when I think it’s perfectly fine to root against someone. He lied to the fans and the administration about his intentions when he did not have to. He mocked the transfer portal and stressed commitment and keeping your word. 

I hope he fails miserably and gets mired in NCAA scandal and gets disgraced as a head coach. I will be rooting for this mother fucker to fall flat on his face.  

And if he has great success, you'll want your school to hire him away from MSU. 

6 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

And I'm hoping this goes better for MSU than hiring Nick; Nick had 1 year HC experience at Toledo (he went 9-2, so MAC level but better record than Mel Tucker @ CU) then he stayed almost 5 years at MSU - going 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, 6-5-1 and then 9-2 and catching a ride to Baton Rouge on Nov 30; 10 days after the last regular season game, a month before the bowl game.

I am willing to bet Tucker will not produce a team as good as your 1999 team

• Like 1

Michigan State: Source shared with FootballScoop yesterday that Chris Kapolovic (from CU) was joining Mel Tucker in East Lansing. Michigan State has since confirmed the addition of coach Kap as offensive line coach / run game coordinator. CU offensive coordinator Jay Johnson is coming as well.

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/02/19/university-michigan-investigates-sex-complaints-against-former-football-doctor/4712724002/

Former University of Michigan team doctor investigated for multiple sex abuse complaints

Kim Kozlowski, The Detroit NewsPublished 9:23 a.m. ET Feb. 19, 2020 | Updated 11:58 a.m. ET Feb. 19, 2020

Palm Springs, California — The University of Michigan is investigating several "disturbing and very serious" allegations of sexual abuse against a now-deceased member of its physician team, officials confirmed to The Detroit News on Wednesday morning.

The doctor implicated in the reports, Robert E. Anderson, was former director of the University Health Service and spent several years as a top physician for football teams led by former coaches Bo Schembechler and Lloyd Carr.

The university said it was first alerted to allegations against Anderson in July 2018, when a former student athlete wrote to Athletic Director Warde Manuel to detail abuse during medical exams by Anderson in the early 1970s. 

UM said it intended Wednesday to send out a press release calling for any victims to contact the university. The response to The News came after it asked for comment from UM about Anderson's alleged misconduct, which includes sexual abuse and unneeded or unwanted exams.

He becomes at least the fourth university physician nationwide to be accused of sexual misconduct in just the last few years, and the disclosure comes while UM Provost Martin Philbert remains suspended amid sexual misconduct allegations disclosed in January.

A Palm Springs, California, alumnus of the University of Michigan reached out to school officials last August and sent them an essay he wrote, "My Michigan Me-too Moment, 1971."

Robert Julian Stone looks over his medical records in his Palm Springs home, January 20, 2020. Stone alleges that the late University of Michigan Athletic Department physician Robert E. Anderson sexually assaulted him during a medical examination nearly 50 years ago.Buy Photo

Robert Julian Stone looks over his medical records in his Palm Springs home, January 20, 2020. Stone alleges that the late University of Michigan Athletic Department physician Robert E. Anderson sexually assaulted him during a medical examination nearly 50 years ago. (Photo: Kim Kozlowski, The Detroit News)

In the essay, former Detroit resident Robert Julian Stone accused Anderson of sexually assaulting him nearly 50 years ago.

Stone  said he learned from UM officials that the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's Office was reviewing his case, along with "many other victims" who have come forward with similar claims. He also said a UM police detective told him the university became aware years ago that there were allegations against Anderson, then moved him from his post at UM Student Health Services to become the team physician for UM athletes.

Responding to inquiries from The Detroit News about the allegations, UM officials announced Wednesday they were investigating Anderson and had received reports of "sexual misconduct and unnecessary medical exams" from former patients, most of them from the 1970s but at least one from as late as the 1990s. The university told The News its police department began investigating allegations against Anderson in July 2018 and hired an outside law firm to conduct an independent inquiry.

During Dantonio's tenure, at least 16 football players were accused of rape and Dantonio was accused of covering up several of those. Then there is the entire Larry Nassar scandal, which involved numerous people in different administration positions not doing anything about it.

***k him and that entire cesspool.

Michigan Rape University

Let's help a rapist stay on the team

Lets recruit players with known sexual assualt histories

Their coaches like to rape too

Edited by redswingline
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Follow up on that. Y'all will just be like that's a MSU homer trying to cover. I realize you can't see my entire posting history on a subject. But if you think that, fuck you, you're wrong.

2 or 3 years ago, on this board, before it was even anything that was highlighted locally or nationally, I posted that the biggest mistake Coach D ever made was admitting Robertson given that *some* allegations against him were already known. I stated that I knew how steadfast he was in his belief in second chances and that I would have hard time living with myself knowing that my decision led to someone getting raped. That is still true. 

But it is a lie to claim that Dantonio knew the full extent of Robertson's transgressions. ESPN has tried so fucking hard to nail him on this and even they admit that information was held back. 

I kind of alternate between wanting to fight this crap that I know is not true and shrugging my shoulders. There might be a direct correlation between how much alcohol I consume on any given night. 

Please stop jumping to conclusions based off of headlines. If you want to talk Austin Robertson we can dive in. I'm educated and willing to go. Same if you want to for the basketball program. 

The entire campaign is laughable. And easily traced back to bad will from lawsuits and contention. Don't fall for it. Or do. What the fuck do I care, we're all gonna die from drinking Corona anyway.