2020 NASCAR Thread

Lat22

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Geez.  Thanks for your opinion on emergency medicine, County Commissioner Moore. Calm professionalism in an emergency, and the patient being entrapped but not in an urgent medical crisis can also explain what this guy perceived as "lack of urgency".

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

The only NASCAR driver I dislike more than Harvick is Newman, but this is such a relief. That center-punch on the driver's side was sickening. 

Denny's spotter has made a few tweets explaining how the Gibbs team didn't necessarily know the scope of the situation and is taking the blame for it, at least to the extent that people feel like they have to assign blame. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brew said:

It’s amazing how much safety equipment has improved since Earnhardt’s wreck. You watch it now and it doesn’t look as bad as a lot of what you see now. Saying that, I get a sick feeling with the hit on the roof/window. There just isn’t much room there for a lot of movement.

Fucking this. Dude had a compromised frame and got drilled right in the driver's side window at 200 mph. What they've been able to do in 20 years is pretty amazing, really. 

Wow. Great news. Was expecting the worst.

Definitely a positive. But when I raced Motocross we had a similar medical situation with a friend. Had a terrible wreck and then was hit by another rider as he was trying crawl off the track. He got hauled of to the hospital and the last thing we heard that night was that he was in stable condition with no life threatening injuries. The next morning we were devastated all over again after learning that he would be a paraplegic.

Fucking this. Dude had a compromised frame and got drilled right in the driver's side window at 200 mph. What they've been able to do in 20 years is pretty amazing, really. 

Yeah you often see t-bones into more reinforced caging at door level. That car was inverted and smashed at about head high. Probably the most vulnerable part of the cage.

Saw a couple more replays and one of the workers getting to the car. The force that car took with the door impact is incredible. You just see the whole car flex into a banana shape with the impact. The other thing that stuck out is that it didn’t go up in flames when it stopped. I haven’t kept up with NASCAR fuel varieties, but it wasn’t that long ago that the whole back end of that car would have been on fire with the fuel dump that was going on.

12 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Why did the driver behind him do that to him? From the angle I saw it looked like he clipped the back fender

They interviewed him... He said he was trying to get past him and couldn't so said f it, i can't win so let's push another ford to the checkers. 

I think newman got a little loose when he was trying to block and just got bumped without full traction. 

1 hour ago, pops said:

Not that it was a huge difference, but I think that his car was probably going about 50 mph down the track, so he was basically hit at 150mph. 

Not being on the ground allowed for the dispensation of energy via spinning away rather that like when Dale Sr. hit a stationary immovable object. 

And lastly, the car that hit him absorbed some of the energy from the collision, but I am not a physicist, so I don’t know the specifics. 

I will say that the metal cage AND the thing that keeps the drivers’ heads’ from moving side-to-side saved his life. 

46 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

A little context from 2013 for folks who might not know Newman's history of calamity at restrictor plate tracks. 

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/9263242/ryan-newman-not-pleased-lack-response-nascar

Who knows, maybe that "Newman bar" is the reason he's alive right now...

Hoping for the best. Personally, I've had more than enough restrictor plate racing madness, and these overtime rules seem to make it even worse. I've said this before ... NASCAR seems determined to stick with it until someone dies on the track or a bunch of people die in the stands.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wood said:

Hoping for the best. Personally, I've had more than enough restrictor plate racing madness, and these overtime rules seem to make it even worse. I've said this before ... NASCAR seems determined to stick with it until someone dies on the track or a bunch of people die in the stands.

Here's a good opinion piece that hits on many of the same sentiments. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Brew said:

It seems kind of odd that with the coverage this wreck is getting that there have been no further updates from NASCAR or the family.

There are still hundreds of people wondering if he will die, and they’ve got their video tributes ready to upload to Twitter or YouTube - slideshows of photos and videos of Newman’s career and family, with Garth Brooks ‘The Dance’ playing in the background.  

This is more unsettling to me than the fact that we haven't received any real update on his exact condition. 

If he was even possibly coming back this year, they would have had Regan Smith, Paul Menard, Trevor Bayne, or someone else lined up to drive the 6 until Newman returned. 

But without anyone at all to fill in suggests to me that perhaps the extent of Newman's injuries essentially void all sponsorship contracts for the 6.

22 hours ago, wood said:

I thought they ran this 500 without the plates.