2020 NASCAR Thread

Lat22

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

This is more unsettling to me than the fact that we haven't received any real update on his exact condition. 

If he was even possibly coming back this year, they would have had Regan Smith, Paul Menard, Trevor Bayne, or someone else lined up to drive the 6 until Newman returned. 

But without anyone at all to fill in suggests to me that perhaps the extent of Newman's injuries essentially void all sponsorship contracts for the 6.

Glad to be wrong! 

Could this actually be because he's possibly going to race this weekend?! 

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Wow. 

32 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Awesome he is able to walk out of hospital. Speaks volumes to the safety of the race cars today. Welders and engineers at shop are all getting raises

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Staged for effect. 

Good to see, but you go into a hospital in a wheelchair or worse, they wheel you out to the driveway to get into your car even if you can do dance steps and pushups. It is standard procedure. 

This lets us all know that he can walk, but...

SIDE NOTE: If I were he, I’d be done with getting into a NASCAR race car. Maybe try Le Mans or something else, but playing with you life by playing 200 mph bumper cars when you’ve already burned through 6 to 8 lives, ummm... no. 

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Staged for effect. 

Good to see, but you go into a hospital in a wheelchair or worse, they wheel you out to the driveway to get into your car even if you can do dance steps and pushups. It is standard procedure. 

SIDE NOTE: If I were he, I’d be done with getting into a NASCAR race car. Maybe try Le Mans or something else, but playing with you life by playing 200 mph bumper cars when you’ve already burned through 6 to 8 lives, ummm... no. 

Socks give it away?

I'm guessing it could be the Dale Jr, come to Jesus moment.  

27 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Staged for effect. 

There's been a fatality at LeMans more recently than in NASCAR. 

And sports cars/endurance racing aren't really his style, even if he could fit in one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

There's been a fatality at LeMans more recently than in NASCAR. 

And sports cars/endurance racing aren't really his style, even if he could fit in one. 

If he really wants to run in motor sports, try out rally.  WRC has only lost 3-4 drivers in the past 30 years, and none in the last 14-15 years.    Then again, he’d have to actually make it into WRC, and that’s harder than the top-tier ranks of NASCAR.

9 hours ago, wood said:

Outstanding. So good to see...

Now, I hope NASCAR gets the hint that they got lucky ... again ... and stops this restrictor plate madness.

I like the excitement of the super speedways, but hate that so much gets destroyed. Was actually watching Dale Jr. Download earlier and he was talking about how the current package pisses him off so much and that the huge spoiler makes the wrecks even worse because of the runs cars get. And of course morons like Joey Logano drive like fools. 

NASCAR should pull in guys like Junior who really understand super speedway racing and who have done it through several different aero packages and get their feedback. They’re not going away from the Daytona 500, but they have to improve it. The initial move to restrictor plates was more for fan safety than driver safety, but the packs are so tight these days. There has to be a better way. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I like the excitement of the super speedways, but hate that so much gets destroyed. Was actually watching Dale Jr. Download earlier and he was talking about how the current package pisses him off so much and that the huge spoiler makes the wrecks even worse because of the runs cars get. And of course morons like Joey Logano drive like fools. 

NASCAR should pull in guys like Junior who really understand super speedway racing and who have done it through several different aero packages and get their feedback. They’re not going away from the Daytona 500, but they have to improve it. The initial move to restrictor plates was more for fan safety than driver safety, but the packs are so tight these days. There has to be a better way. 

Yep. There absolutely has to be a better way. And yep, the packs are even tighter now, imho. 

NASCAR artificially regulated itself into this position. They stumbled onto the 'entertainment factor' of 'plate racing' accidentally, and have played it up and institutionalized it with rules that have made the cars run tighter and tighter. Surely they can, if they have the will to do so,  find a way to keep speeds reasonable and keep the cars on the ground while not bunching the cars up so much. Surely, with the right motivation, some NASCAR engineer(s) much smarter than I am can crack the code. I don't think it would be that hard. It doesn't seem like rocket surgery. The problem is that I don't for one second believe they have that will or motivation.

And if Junior hates this shit, then I just look at that as further validation of my stance. There are few people in motorsport that I respect as much as him.

Edited by wood

3 hours ago, wood said:

And if Junior hates this shit, then I just look at that as further validation of my stance. There are few people in motorsport that I respect as much as him.

To clarify, he wasn't saying that he hated plate racing/super speedways, he said he loves it, but he was glad he wasn't out there this weekend. Said that the blocking is so much more aggressive because of the spoiler and that it's just bad/dangerous.

Not sure exactly what the answer is. When the cars didn't have restrictor plates/tapered spacers, they were a fair amount faster but there really weren't packs of cars. And stages make the packs worse because cars don't get to spread out over the course of a race. Maybe eliminating stages at super speedways would help a bit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The obvious problem is that without the "pack racing" that is an inevitable result of the parity they're seeking on the superspeedways, there's that much more room for the cars to get spaced out - take your pick of boring-assed Pocono races to see what they're afraid of. 

Yeah, but the plates aren't there to bunch the cars, they're there to lower speeds. The packs are just one result. And honestly, I think Pocono races have gotten more interesting over recent years.

53 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I hate the way the second place guy never has a problem with dumping the leader.  I'm still pissed that that sawed off Childress grandson wrecked Almirola a couple of years ago to win the 500.

It's the single biggest thing that turned me away from NASCAR, and I was a huge fan. That's not racing.

35 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Take NASCAR back to homologation racing: showroom-stock vehicles with no modifications (or minimal modifications for safety, such as extra bracing for roll protection, fire protection systems, etc.). Can't race a car that isn't available for public sale.

I'm probably wrong about this, but why couldn't they just reduce displacement significantly and then let 'em run?

25 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

didn't they drop them a couple hundred horsepower last year?

IDK, but if they did, do it again, and/or remove some or all of the aero so they can't go so hard into the corners and can't make so many crazy, kamikaze blocks and pit maneuvers.

Make the cars harder to drive, and they'll back off.

4 hours ago, pwinger said:
10 hours ago, wood said:
It's the single biggest thing that turned me away from NASCAR, and I was a huge fan. That's not racing.

In that particular instance, Almirola tried to throw a block. If you don't want to get dumped then don't try to block, especially on the last lap.

I wasn't referring to a particular incident. I'm just as opposed to blocking ... but NASCAR allows both blocking and wrecking the guy in front of you. Awful.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:09 PM, Fuck Tim Beck said:

This. That midget would be driving manure trucks if not for grand daddy's money.

In case you didn't already find him to be an insufferable twat, there's now this.

https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2020/02/21/austin-whitney-dillon-reveal-name-for-couples-soon-to-be-son/

The Richard Childress Racing driver announced Friday on Instagram he and expectant wife Whitney will bring “Ace RC Dillon” into the world this June.

Fantastic, brutally honest interview with Kyle Petty re: the Ryan Newman crash, restrictor plate racing. I recommend the entire interview, but especially don't miss the comments on the restrictor plate "bandaid" starting at about 24:30.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Keselowski took the pole last August with a 37.8 sec lap, or 190.5 mph

This was a 59 sec lap in the snow, or 122 mph.  And it appeared to be from a standing start, no?  

Did they just speed up the video, or was this legit?

I'm sorry for trying math this late.