2020 NASCAR Thread

Lat22

In case you've ever wanted an infographic poster of racetracks with a feature allowing you to scratch off the tracks you've been to, here's your chance. 

It doesn't perfectly track with (haha) the Cup schedule for this year (or any year in my memory) but it's got a few Xfinity and Truck Series-specific tracks (Mosport, RoadAmerica, Eldora, Iowa, etc.) that add to the variety instead of just a bunch of cookie cutter tri-ovals. 

https://popchart.co/products/stock-car-racing-scratch-off-chart

Use "DEAL-EARNHARDT" for 20% off ($60 framed, shipped). 

Yeah, we really enjoyed it. Some expected hiccups and growing pains like when Jimmie was doing about 130 in the middle groove at one point - apparently he thought he was in the pit at the time, or that they were under caution or some other obvious disconnection with (virtual) reality. 

And it was difficult keeping track of who still had "resets" left and who didn't, but it was a lot of fun, especially with the different drivers they were able to check in on periodically. Bowyer was the perfect guy to feature prominently. 

They are about to have another race here in a few minutes from Kansas.   Go to twitch.tv and search for the replacements

I used to race online all the time back back before it came under the iracing brand.   It was a fun way to kill some time and drink some beer.   I still run every now and then but not nearly enough to hang with the big dogs anymore.   

You could definitely tell guys like JJ and Bowyer didn't have much online racing experience.   

Qualifying for the second NASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational Series race at the virtual Texas Motor Speedway will be live streamed Sunday on eNASCAR.com/live, it was announced Saturday morning.

The eNASCAR Pro Invitational Qualifier will take place Sunday at 10:55 a.m. ET and feature 34 drivers from the NASCAR Xfinity Series, Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series and regional series. There are currently four transfer spots available in the 35-car field.

Sunday’s O’Reilly Auto Parts 125 will be 125 laps. It’ll air live on FOX/FS1 (subject to change) and the FOX Sports App at 1 p.m. ET.

Texas World Speedway: Former NASCAR track being torn down

Texas World Speedway speedway opened in 1969. The 2-mile oval sits in College Station, Texas.

The track is one of only 7 ovals in the United States that are over 2 miles in length. Daytona, Talladega, Indianapolis, Pocono, Auto Club, Michigan are the other six.

The track is a mirror of Michigan International Speedway. It was owned by Larry LoPatin and American Raceways Inc.

Bobby Isaac drove it to victory lane in the first NASCAR Cup Series event held at the track in 1969.

Texas-World-Speedway-1985.jpg

In 1980, the USAC series was set to host the Texas 200 at the track. The event was canceled as the complex had become worn out.

In 1981, the final NASCAR race was hosted at the speedway. Benny Parsons drove it to the win. NASCAR never returned.

In 1991, Ishin Speed Sport, Inc purchased the facility. The new owners opened repaving project to bring it back to life. ARCA returned to the track but they left after the 1993 event.

In 2017, the track was officially closed.

Texas-World-Speedway-Turn-1.jpg

In 2018, a new project was planned for the property. Southern Pointe announced a new green-space and residential project. 1,400 homes are planned to go up on 550 acres.

A new billboard was installed at the gate. Homes would take over the roaring race track.

In 2019, the first homes went up on the grounds.

This year, the complex is in the process of being torn down.

In late February, cranes moved into the speedway. The demotlition was underway and the press box was torn down.

A hill on the property is set to be leveled. 450,000 cubic yards of dirt will be used to make future phases of the housing development possible.

Sections of the speedway are set to remain for the next 4 or so years. But, over time, it will all be erased and replaced with residential residences.

Buh-bye Bubba!

Bubba Wallace dropped by sponsor after ragequitting in iRacing

After catching significant flack on Twitter for ragequitting, Wallace took an obstinate stance on his actions, sarcastically chiming that "I ruined so many people's day by quitting a video game." That didn't sit well at all with sponsor Blue-Emu, who responded to Wallace's post by calling him out and dropping their sponsorship of him on the spot.

5 hours ago, RPM said:

2 hours ago, wood said:

Wow. I'm a fan of the guy, but what a dumbass.

Given how.....casually he did that, and "casually" is probably not the right word to use, that was not the first time he's used that particular word in a video game chat.    

Kyle, for my money,  is the most talented guy out there. 

He had his pick of any ride/any sponsor he wanted.  He's fucked now. 

We Americans are forgiving people.  He can bounce back, but it's going to take some effort.  I see an Oprah interview in his future. 

43 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

he is (was) only in Nascar for the money.  he would rather be dirt track racing

Well, he lost that as well  - Lucas dumped him.   I guess in theory he could run a sprint car without sponsors, and try and support it through current winnings, but at the level he is accustomed to running, it would eat heavily into his past earnings at some point.

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

We Americans are forgiving people.  He can bounce back, but it's going to take some effort.  I see an Oprah interview in his future. 

It’s a long shot.  Being toxic to pretty much any decent sponsor Is going to keep him out of everything at the ARCA level and above, and given NASCAR’s push into international markets, and the various behavior clauses they have in their contracts, they could easily cut him out of their 15 or 20 series and 1,500+ sanctioned  races.   He’s also front-and-center on NASCAR.com right now.

He’s made $11 million in earnings, and even if he still had half of that (doubtful), like I said, it would be easy to burn through that self-funding his own sponsor-less racing.   The days of the Dick Trickles limping along between races by sleeping on fans’ couches, picking up sponsors the day of qualification, and using hand-me-downs from other teams are in the past.  

Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall if Sabates talked to him.  

It would be easier for him to recover if he had been 5 years younger.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, he lost that as well  - Lucas dumped him.   I guess in theory he could run a sprint car without sponsors, and try and support it through current winnings, but at the level he is accustomed to running, it would eat heavily into his past earnings at some point.

It’s a long shot.  Being toxic to pretty much any decent sponsor Is going to keep him out of everything at the ARCA level and above, and given NASCAR’s push into international markets, and the various behavior clauses they have in their contracts, they could easily cut him out of their 15 or 20 series and 1,500+ sanctioned  races.   He’s also front-and-center on NASCAR.com right now.

He’s made $11 million in earnings, and even if he still had half of that (doubtful), like I said, it would be easy to burn through that self-funding his own sponsor-less racing.   The days of the Dick Trickles limping along between races by sleeping on fans’ couches, picking up sponsors the day of qualification, and using hand-me-downs from other teams are in the past.  

Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall if Sabates talked to him.  

It would be easier for him to recover if he had been 5 years younger.  

Disagree about NASCAR.  He only has to complete the sensitivity training, and he's reinstated.  Getting a seat is something different, but he will be permitted to run in NASCAR without a doubt. 

Maybe Gene Haas puts him in a Haas car.

After hearing the clip, and interpreting it in the light most favorable to Kyle, it seems like he pretty much just blurted the most offensive thing he could think of almost as a way of confirming that his microphone wasn't working. Obviously a poor decision on multiple levels for multiple reasons, but I wonder if the context has been dramatically overshadowed by the sheer weight and objectionable nature of the word itself. 

Or am I nuts? 

The fact that he didn't address this possible explanation (not to be confused with an excuse or a justification, but just an effort to put the "this guy is apparently a closet racist" conclusion to bed) even after having overnight to panic and plan his damage control is puzzling to me, and makes me suspect that perhaps my most favorable interpretation might be completely off the mark. 

I don't really know how I think this should be dealt with. On one hand, I don't blame a single one of his sponsors (or Chip) for dropping him. But I also don't know that Kyle deserves to have his entire career and future destroyed over this, either. Nothing makes absolute sense. 

It's all just so stupid and unfortunate. I really enjoyed watching him race - such a talent, and I was really looking forward to what he could do in top-level equipment. 

Didn't exactly see this coming. 

I saw elsewhere that Chip contacted Carl Edwards who considered the offer for a few days but ultimately declined. 

That reminded me that back on ToS, someone mentioned that they had some first-hand information on why Carl has stayed away after abruptly quitting, and I think they were waiting for a little more time to pass before sharing anything, but I don't remember them ever coming back to share whatever it was. 

Anyone? 

I just learned that the wife of Brian Vickers was previously Jeffrey Epstein's "scheduler" who almost certainly played a role in facilitating his lifestyle. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7234185/Jeffrey-Epsteins-female-fixer-socializing-convicted-pedophile-2012.html

There are other articles by less tabloidy sources but that one seemed to have the most details. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...