Concerts: Who Have You Run In To?

hullabelew

Something in the Chris Whitley thread reminded me of something and thought it might be a cool topic.  What artists/band members/actors have you run in to at someone else's show.

Peter Buck at a T-Bone Burnett show in Atlanta in '87.  Maybe 50 people in the room.
   - Then Buck, T-Bone Burnett, Shawn Colvin and Bruce Cockburn at a house party after the show. 
Michael Stipe at a Toad The West Sprocket show in Miami in '91.  Actually, he was running around like a crazy man in the parking lot after the show, but I assume he had been inside.
Paul Reed Smith at an Eric Johnson show in Washington, DC in early 90s.  
Kelly Hogan at numerous shows around Atlanta.  Or, I might have been stalking her.......that line is so blurry.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, next2naus said:

Bill Murray, at SXSW Black Angles show. 

Ann Richards: Eagles at Texas Memorial Stadium back in the day. we in the same row and she gave me the stink eye, I was also wigging out on E.

She should have been used to that after she chewed out Willie's ass for smoking weed in the Capitol. 

Robert Duval at a Billy Joe Shaver show. 

Dennis Quaid at a Scabs show. I swiped his koozie from the bar and still have it. 

Joey Lauren Adams hung out at a few Reckless Kelly shows I was at and was super nice to everyone. 

Bob Schneider at Tool a couple weeks ago. 

Chris Long at the MMJ show at Red Rocks last summer. McLovin was there when I saw MMJ there a few years ago. 

Pete Sampras at PJ in Vegas. 

Isbell at Slobberbone. 

Mack Brown at Jack Ingram solo show. 

I’m sure I’ll think of more. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Like 2

I'm pretty bad at spotting people at shows.  Three come to mind:

Jeff Tweedy at some random show (Emo's, Red River) -- I spilled his beer.

Paul Westerberg at some random show (Jelly Club, 6th Street)

Doug Wimbish, bass player for Living Color, we hung out on the lawn at Lollapalooza 1 in Dallas.  (Violent Femmes, Siouxsie Sue, Henry Rollins, Ice T).  To be fair, he had just played, but he wandered by our encampment soon after and we offered him a beer, so he hung out most of the afternoon and drank more of our beer.

• Like 1

That is another good topic.  Smoked weed with Blue Rodeo on the hood of my car, played pool with all the guys from Toad The Wet Sprocket early in their career.

Got drunk with Jack Ingram, Bruce and Charlie Robison at one of their joint shows YEARS ago in DC.  Charlie stole my wallet.  Mark Patterson was playing drums for Charlie and maybe Bruce at the time.  He and I drank a shit load of white russians that night. The show was cool that night.  When one was on stage, the other two sat at my table until they all got on stage at the end.  It was cool to hear them talk about the others.  Picking out cool things that each musician did.    

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

That is another good topic.  Smoked weed with Blue Rodeo on the hood of my car, played pool with all the guys from Toad The Wet Sprocket early in their career.

Man, I love those Toad albums.  I never saw them live.  Beautiful, eloquent music.  Spectacular production.

I played foosball with Josh Clayton-Felt and Michael Ward of School of Fish for a couple of hours at . . . yep, Jelly Club . . . one night after their SXSW showcase.  I've mentioned it before, but Michael went on to play guitar for Jakob Dylan in The Wallflowers, and every time I'd run into him in Austin, which was seemingly an oddly high percentage of the times they came to town, he always remembered my name.  I literally had to expend effort to commit his name to memory.  "Hey . . . dude . . . who plays in Jakob Dylan's band, how's it going?"  "Fine, Jim, how are you?"  Yeesh.

• Like 1

McLovin at a donkeys rooftop concert during sxsw .

todd from breaking bad at a night beats show at barracuda

shia labeouf at a warpaint show at emo's. 

vinnie paul at a godsmack show at the bronco bowl. 

brett hull at a soundgarden show in dallas @ verizon

troy aikman at a tom petty show in dallas @ aac

i'm certain there are more but that's all i can think of at the moment. 

Partied with all of Turnpike Troubadours sans Gabe Pearson (drummer) before and after their show in Des Moines in 2013.  We were sitting at the Locust Tap, a legendary dive 200 feet from the venue they were playing.  It was their first show in Des Moines, and they wandered in there thinking no one would know them.  Wrong.  My buddy flagged them down to our table (at this point we had to pull another table up) and we started buying rounds.  They were having a blast and were all super nice dudes.  Felker got bored pretty quickly and asked us where we could get some blow.  I knew a guy, but hadn't seen him in a few years and didn't want to bother him.  RC Edwards, Kyle Nix, and Ryan Englemen couldn't have been any more entertaining.  They bullshitted with us for a good two hours, and agreed to meet us back after the show.  Sure enough they did, and they all signed the poster my cousin bought at the show, which he has framed in his man cave today.  The show was phenomenal too.

Not a musician, but I've seen the chick from American Pickers at every Drive-By Truckers show in Iowa City that I've attended.

30fa649499c0d2edd003ca8a18d8da2f.jpg

• Like 1

Joe Ely at a Matt the Electrician concert at the Saxon. Joe was opening for Bob Scheider actually, but I made eye contact with Joe as he was heading for the door after Matt's set, we nodded at each other, then he walked out the door like a bad ass.

Avery Johnson at the Majestic in San Antonio at a Lyle Lovett show was a surprise.

Not actually a concert, but in the early 90s we were in Minneapolis at Prince's Glam Slam club. Kent Hrbek of the Twins (big as a fucking house) almost knocked me over heading to the upstairs lounge where Prince was hanging. Dick move.

• Like 1

Uma Thurman at a random SXSW show at the old Waterloo Brewing.

Robert Rodriguez at a Tito and Tarantula show right after From Dusk Til Dawn came out.

Jello Biafra at the Mohawk. Don’t remember what show.

Gibby Haynes at Frank Black at the old Emos.

Elijah Woods at the Reverend Horton Heat at the Continental Club.

John Doe drinking coffee at Upper Crust. He lives in Crestview.

11 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

. Kent Hrbek of the Twins (big as a fucking house) almost knocked me over heading to the upstairs lounge where Prince was hanging. Dick move.

Hell, he pick up Ron Gant off of first base in game 2 in the 91 World Series, that mother fucker.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Got drunk with Jack Ingram, Bruce and Charlie Robison at one of their joint shows YEARS ago in DC.  Charlie stole my wallet.  Mark Patterson was playing drums for Charlie and maybe Bruce at the time.  He and I drank a shit load of white russians that night. The show was cool that night.  When one was on stage, the other two sat at my table until they all got on stage at the end.  It was cool to hear them talk about the others.  Picking out cool things that each musician did.    

I think that reminds me of your stories about Darden Smith.  I crossed paths with Darden a few weeks ago, and elected not to engage, because my two connections to him are (a) "hey I went on a music cruise where you were one of the entertainers and you and I smoked cigars together" and (b) "hey, my friend from the internet knows you".

Probably a good decision on my part.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think that reminds me of your stories about Darden Smith.  I crossed paths with Darden a few weeks ago, and elected not to engage, because my two connections to him are (a) "hey I went on a music cruise where you were one of the entertainers and you and I smoked cigars together" and (b) "hey, my friend from the internet knows you".

Probably a good decision on my part.

Funny thing is, both the Darden encounter and the one with the other guys were both at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA.  I was up there for work both times.  

Not a celebrity, but I saw Motley Crue, Godsmack, and Drowning Pool in Albuquerque, NM.  Next day I was in the airport waiting for my flight back home and looked over and saw Nikki Sixx.  Went up and said hello and that I was at the show last night and he talked to me about 5 minutes or so and I got his autograph.

That reminds me: my sister used to work at this crazy auction gallery in Atlanta and one day Godsmack came rolling in on their Harleys. Turns out they toured with them. They bought a bunch of shit for their new mansions (they had just hit it big). She didn’t think to call me to come meet them.

Saw Pat Green at Mile Zero Fest in Key West a few years back and then ran into him at a little bar near our Airbnb after the show. He was ordering a margarita and insisted on buying for our entire group. After all of the shit I've heard about him, I was fully expecting the show to suck, but he was great and we were all pleasantly surprised. Then, to meet him afterwards and for him to be totally cool was also a pleasant surprise. He was in a great mood, when we resisted having him pay for our drinks he said "shit man, if you knew how much they pay me for this you'd take the free drink. It's ridiculous!" Got a big laugh from everyone. He was very laid back, chatting with everyone. I became a fan after not really having liked him that much previously.

Saw Lance Armstrong at the Marfa "Railroad Revival Tour" stop featuring Mumford & Sons, Edward Sharp & the Magnetic Zeros and Old Crow. Still probably the best concert experience of my life. Lance was hanging at the sound booth, but didn't talk to him.

Saw Lars Ulrich of Metallica at the Radiohead show at ACL Fest in 2016. He was hanging in the VIP area by the sound booth with some hottie and we were right in front of that on the other side of the rail from him. We said hi and my buddy and his wife got a pic with him, but that was it.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work for the AV company that supplies the sound equipment/labor for  SXSW so I've been around a lot of musicians. 

Rode in the freight elevator with Ice Cube and his posse.  He was smaller than I expected but friendly.  Asked for some restaurant recommendations.

Same elevator with Lou Reed.  He wasn't as nice - more of a complete burnout.  Had trouble speaking in complete/coherent sentences.

At Stubb's we used to put a little video camera on the stairwell that led up to the VIP area during SXSW.  Really, we had the best seats in the house.  Nobody around us and a bar at the bottom of the stairs.  Loved those gigs.  Anyway, we ran a cat-5 line across the street to a little house that Charles Attal had so the other bands could watch the performances.  Was over there one time locking up the camera after a show and literally ran into Kevin Drew (singer for Broken Social Scene).  We bumped beers and said "cheers!".  Nice guy.

Chilled out with Britt Daniel at a Foals/Black Keys show at Stubbs.

I'll think of more later.

Forgot about one. Not really at the show. Restaurant next door to the Fox in Atlanta before an Isbell show with McMurtry opening. He comes in and plops down next to us at the one empty seat at the bar. My buddy's wife and sister thought it was a homeless dude. I told them who it was and they started pestering the shit it off him. He was actually quite talkative to them.

Still, the picture just kills me. 1801264dac96dc467c92ad81c3961020.jpg

• Like 3

I rode up the elevator with Don Was and BB King when they were shooting Willie's the Big Six-0 over at the communications building on campus.  

The door opened, and there was Mickey Raphael talking with Bob Dylan and Darrell K. Royal himself.  I'm sure there were other famous people around, as it was the soundstage for ACL they were using.  This was all pre cell phone (for poor student me, anyhow), so no pics.  I was so stunned I couldn't even begin to fawn on any of them.  I just found my way to an empty seat to watch the show, which was fantastic.  I'm sure it's never come out on video because of the inability to get all the rights for so many different artists squared away.  That night the Don Was band was the house band.  I saw:

Marty Stewart, Travis Tritt, Lee Ann Womack, B.B. King, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon & Edie Brickell, Willie of course, with the Family Band, Kris Kristofferson,  and probably about a dozen more big names and more famous side men than you could imagine.  Paul Simon gave Johnny Gimble hell for coming in too early on "Graceland."  "This is a long song, you gotta wait more than the first verse," he admonished.  He was right, but he came off like an asshole.  

• Like 1

so, in High School my best bud worked at a record store called Music +.  They were a chain in SoCal.  

Anyway, RATT did an appearance/record signing in the store.  Their first record had just released. 

They took the big "MEET RATT HERE" poster from the window,  and hung it over the employee shitter.  It hung there for years. 

Fred Savage at High Sierra Music fest..saw him during Widespread Panic

Bill Murray at small Band of Horses show in Austin

Ty Pennington at Cage the Elephant at Jazzfest

Alphonso Johnson(bassist)- WSP in LA

Taylor Schilling (Orange is the New Black)- Radiators show in New Orleans

Probably some others, but unless they're standing next to me I more thank likely wouldn't notice.

Timbuk 3 sat next right next to me at Springsteen's Austin show on the "Tunnel Of Love" tour. They held hands the whole show. It was fucking adorable. The singer from Spoon was in the seat next to me when I saw McCartney at Jerry World like 10 years ago (note: my wife recognized him. I had no idea). I saw Chad Lowe (sorry, wrong Lowe) at a Cowboy Junkies show in Dallas in the late 90s. Saw Peter Reckell (Bo Brady from "Days Of Our Lives") at a Sting show at the Greek Theatre in '96. Tom Hanks was down the aisle from me at a Springsteen show at the LA Sports Arena on the "Wrecking Ball" tour.

Wait-- did I just follow Chad Lowe and Peter Reckell with Tom Hanks? I think I did!

Anyway, that's all I can think of, which is odd given the number of shows I've attended in LA over the years. There is one big ALMOST in this category though. Back in '92, my band was playing around Dallas quite frequently and I had to give away U2 tickets at Texas Stadium because we got a Friday night Trees gig, The Sugarcubes opened that show, and my friend Laura thanked me the next day for the tickets (they were great seats) and for the chance to talk to Bjork-- who sat next to her for the entire U2 show. UGH.

I somehow have excellent day-after-concert radar and have run into/accidentally chatted up Annie Clark, Karen O, Carrie Brownstein, and Kim Gordon the day after they were in town to play various shows. They were all just as cool as expected.

Also, we used to trick or treat at Dimebag Darrell's (RIP) house and he always had a great party going/music blasting, was super nice and gave out king-sized candy bars.

I can tell you who I did *not* run into many years ago at a Meat Puppets show -- Jason Priestley of BH 90210 fame, which was then one of the hottest shows on television.  He got booted off the guest list when they added me.  (Ex's younger sister -- no pics-- was/is friends with Curt and Cris Kirkwood.  When she pushed to get me added to the guest list, the venue made the band drop someone from the list.  Bye-bye, Priestley.) 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I saw the Bottle Rockets open for James McMurtry at a now defunct club in Des Moines.  McMurtry just stood in the crowd right next to me during the Rockets set.  I didn't dare say a fucking word to him.

He would have just looked at you like you were an alien.  Trust me.

• Like 1