Atlanta FX

GSU&UT

On 4/6/2018 at 8:36 PM, kopp0e said:

Went to re watch season 1 on Cox Contour, before starting season 2... Says I need to "subscribe" to FX+ for $5.99 a month... 

Nope, now watching on Kodi...

Kodi is ok. But I found that ...Terrarium Tv... works a lot smoother and has a bigger selection of shows and movies. It's free also.

12 hours ago, QfromOH_1013 said:

Kodi is ok. But I found that ...Terrarium Tv... works a lot smoother and has a bigger selection of shows and movies. It's free also.

Loaded both Terranium & Morpheus, and both operate much smother than the kodi..! Thanks

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/atlanta-donald-glover-teddy-perkins-backstory.html

Initially, I had no idea that Teddy Perkins was actually played by Donald Glover. I was on set, and the director [Hiro Murai] called “Teddy” to come over and said, “Let’s see what Teddy thinks.” I’m like, “Okay, who is this Teddy guy and why is his opinion so important?” Because I had never heard of the guy before. Later, going through and watching, when I say this guy was in character the whole time on set — it was just amazing the commitment he brought to the character.

Actors taking thenseleves seriously gets in the way of a lot of good film. I think it’s the most off-putting thing to me about Hollywood that doesn’t involve hurting anyone- just how seriously actors take themselves and their craft, to the point of stuff like this. You have the one actor (who didn’t even have any lines for Chrissakes!) talking about how challenging and demanding his role was and how if he’d known more about it he would have done it way differently (bruh, you shuffled around in a wheelchair, used a chalkboard, and shushed somebody), and then talking about how amazing it was that Donald went full method actor and stayed in character the entire time; so? This was a weird piece of television that no doubt has plenty of people scrambling to convince themselves and others of its greatness, but that wasn’t great TV; it was more strange  and off-putting than anything. The fact that Donald stayed in character doesn’t do anything for anybody but Donald. It certainly didn’t lead to some TV masterpiece.

Hell, I even watched it again with my buddy just to see if I got a different feeling the second time around and I didn’t. His experience watching it seemed to mirror mine- he had so many questions throughout the episode (the same ones I was asking throughout- who is this guy supposed to be? Why is Darius still hanging around? Do rich people actually eat gross ostrich eggs like that? Is that a thing? What point are they trying to make with this? And so on) that he could never invest in the episode himself. In the end he just said, “I can’t defend this.” We each love Community, Rick and Morty, and Donald Glover too- but this season has been a big letdown for both of us.

All of that said, DG is still young and super talented, and he’s just getting started. He’ll bounce back. But if he weren’t the one running this show I don’t think either me or my buddy would be tuning in at this point.

side note- every single question from that interview was, “So Donald really acted like Teddy the whole time? The whole time?!” May as well pile on what was a stupid interview aboit the episode as well.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Actors taking thenseleves seriously gets in the way of a lot of good film. I think it’s the most off-putting thing to me about Hollywood that doesn’t involve hurting anyone- just how seriously actors take themselves and their craft, to the point of stuff like this. You have the one actor (who didn’t even have any lines for Chrissakes!) talking about how challenging and demanding his role was and how if he’d known more about it he would have done it way differently (bruh, you shuffled around in a wheelchair, used a chalkboard, and shushed somebody), and then talking about how amazing it was that Donald went full method actor and stayed in character the entire time; so? This was a weird piece of television that no doubt has plenty of people scrambling to convince themselves and others of its greatness, but that wasn’t great TV; it was more strange  and off-putting than anything. The fact that Donald stayed in character doesn’t do anything for anybody but Donald. It certainly didn’t lead to some TV masterpiece.

Hell, I even watched it again with my buddy just to see if I got a different feeling the second time around and I didn’t. His experience watching it seemed to mirror mine- he had so many questions throughout the episode (the same ones I was asking throughout- who is this guy supposed to be? Why is Darius still hanging around? Do rich people actually eat gross ostrich eggs like that? Is that a thing? What point are they trying to make with this? And so on) that he could never invest in the episode himself. In the end he just said, “I can’t defend this.” We each love Community, Rick and Morty, and Donald Glover too- but this season has been a big letdown for both of us.

All of that said, DG is still young and super talented, and he’s just getting started. He’ll bounce back. But if he weren’t the one running this show I don’t think either me or my buddy would be tuning in at this point.

side note- every single question from that interview was, “So Donald really acted like Teddy the whole time? The whole time?!” May as well pile on what was a stupid interview aboit the episode as well.

He'll bounce back from you and your buddy being so disappointed in this season?   LMAO.  Donald Glover is doing just fine.   We get it...you really really hate this season.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, yoshi said:

He'll bounce back from you and your buddy being so disappointed in this season?   LMAO.  Donald Glover is doing just fine.   We get it...you really really hate this season.  

Yeah, cause me and my buddy are the only ones who aren’t *just loving* this season. If I had to rank this season of Atlanta vs his career body of work, from 30 Rock to Community to Childish Gambino to his stand up to season 1 of Atlanta, this specific season of this show is going to be way down at the bottom of the list, and you’re crazy if you think that I’m not in the majority in saying that. This guy has already won multiple Golden Globes, multiple Emmy’s, and a Grammy award, plus 5 or 6 other Grammy nominations. Community and 30 Rock are two of the best sitcoms of their era. This does not compare to DG’s other work. This is a letdown.

I’ll also remind you that all of those Emmys and Golden Globes he won for season 1 of Atlanta were for superlatives in a comedy series. The few laughs I’ve had this season have come when Donald isn’t doing some weird, experimental shit with morose German heritage festivals and fantastically eccentric old dudes in white-face; they’ve come when Donald has written jokes, a la the “Sammy Sosa hat” bit, or even the tape recorder that looks like a telecom.  The rest seems too personal and experimental for mass appeal, and certainly hasn’t appealed to me. 

That bounce back comment was one of funniest things I’ve read in a while.

It's not really a comedy though anymore. It's a dramaedy, like Louie or Insecure. It has funny parts but I see this more as his vehicle to tell the stories he wants to tell or that he feels couldn't be told before. From what I've seen, I think he enjoys making people go back on their words about what he can't do (can't rap, acts white, etc.). I wonder if a lot of it goes back to the original Alfred/Earn conversation in episode 1 about staying in your lane. Seems Donald constantly bucks the people who says he needs to stay in his lane (be funny, don't be serious). That was a pretty good episode from a dramatic standpoint. It was weird but I loved it. 

On 4/9/2018 at 6:42 PM, Goo Punch said:

Well the only opinion which I stated to be widely held was that most Donald Glover fans would put his work on Community, 30 Rock, and with his music > of this season of this show. And I believe that’s true.

I don't think he'll ever top his virtuoso performance in The Martian.  It's all downhill from there.

i see both sides of this argument.  i've enjoyed this season for the most part, and all i (guess i) can ask for is 35 minutes of entertainment per week from this show.  that said, i can see why people aren't necessarily hating it, but just are upset they're not getting what they want.  

it took 16 months to get what is likely a 10-11 episode season.  if you watched and enjoyed season 1, you were hoping for those 10-11 episodes to feature the characters you grew to know and love in season 1.  for over half this season (so far), that's not what you're getting.  even if it's entertaining or brave or groundbreaking or whatever some are calling it, i can see some letdown from people that aren't looking for that.  they're just looking for a continuation of s1, which is what they've come to expect from sitcoms in the past.

if it was old school broadcast, and there were 22-24 eps per season, and 4 months in between seasons, people wouldn't really fuss about outlier or artsy or stand alone story episodes like we've gotten seemingly for a month now.  i like master of none a lot, and really enjoyed the thanksgiving one.  but it was all a flashback, and didn't feature aziz and friends doing shit in nyc.  you had to adjust.

the only comp i can think of (besides the aziz example) is if a popular rock band or musician put out an album every 1.5 years.  and after waiting, they decided to test their chops and make an all jazz/no lyrics album.  maybe critics would love it and praise it, but there would still be hardcore fans put off by it.

derka has his opinion.  it's not wrong or right, it just is.

• Like 1

but they did shit like this is season 1 too.  the episode that was just paper boi on the talk show.  the episode that was just earn and van at the juneteenth party.  the episode that was just van dealing with her friend then trying to pass a drug test.  season one wasn't exactly one long story arc with a beginning, middle and end that never strayed outside those lines.

donald glover is by far the biggest star in the show, and to my recollection, he played himself/earn in every episode of s1, minus the talk show (i can't really remember).  he hasn't been in the last 3 episodes of this season (except playing teddy).  there hasn't been another show like that.  

12 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

but they did shit like this is season 1 too.  the episode that was just paper boi on the talk show.  the episode that was just earn and van at the juneteenth party.  the episode that was just van dealing with her friend then trying to pass a drug test.  season one wasn't exactly one long story arc with a beginning, middle and end that never strayed outside those lines.

The fake BET episode from S1 was hilarious. I truly watched BET more than any non-ESPN channel growing up, and those fake black commercials are *the* funniest thing I’ve seen on the show. That was some top notch satire. 

Also, the reason Paperboi was on the show in the first place was his burgeoning rap career, which S1 (and this show) were ostensibly about. Have they mentioned his rap career this season, other than PB being recognized? It doesn’t feel like it. Basically, hg nailed my feelings in his post. I don’t hate the show, but I’m disappointed in this sudden, sharp turn in the direction it’s taken.

It took about 1 thread page and about 3 weeks/episodes for this thread to finally change from calling Atlanta a comedy and posters saying this show can be taken at face value to people now responding "wtf" to an entire season.

I like his art. He's doing what he wants to do and I'm still enjoying journeying with all the characters. Paper Boi is my favorite on the show (Darius a close second, in fact I think i like everybody more than Earn) and I was glad to see his episode last night. It was trippy and transformative but overall you can see his character growth coming slowly. Pretty interesting how through his episode we also see the lack of growth from Earn (just from the way they refer to him and talk about him on the phone and in the salon) and how Al is quickly out-growing him.

Dead serious- does that shit actually do anything for you? Paperboi’s character growth makes this show enjoyable to you? That’s something doesn’t resonante with me in this case. I first realized how important character growth can be when I watched Jesse and Walt’s characters transform on Breaking Bad, or when The Hound first looked out for Arya; but those shows went somewhere; those characters were featured in every episode of their shows, save The Hound. I’d rather laugh for half an hour than watch Paperboi grow, especially if he’s only going to be a marginal character so often.

This show, to me, for this season, is just a bunch of weird standalone episodes that seriously lack in entertainment value. I’m just not entertained. Not only is there no storyline to follow, the main cast of characters are almost never in the same place at the same time, which has made the pacing of this season terrible. I guess at this point I should know what’s coming. Whatever. I’m gonna keep tuning in, but this show is weird and all over the place. Major bummer of a season.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

It took about 1 thread page and about 3 weeks/episodes for this thread to finally change from calling Atlanta a comedy and posters saying this show can be taken at face value to people now responding "wtf" to an entire season.

I like his art. He's doing what he wants to do and I'm still enjoying journeying with all the characters. Paper Boi is my favorite on the show (Darius a close second, in fact I think i like everybody more than Earn) and I was glad to see his episode last night. It was trippy and transformative but overall you can see his character growth coming slowly. Pretty interesting how through his episode we also see the lack of growth from Earn (just from the way they refer to him and talk about him on the phone and in the salon) and how Al is quickly out-growing him.

yeah they've been hinting that paper boi is going to move on from earn for awhile now.  it'd be surprising if it didn't happen.

i almost wanna say that last night's episode was all a dream paper boi had about having to decide what he wants to be as a rapper and what he has to do to get there.

Also, while this show is definitely “out there” at times it’s supposed to be based in reality, yet the characters seem to make baffling decisions every episode. You’re telling me that Paperboi gets tired of hanging out with his chick so he’s going to walk home? He’s not gonna call somebody for a ride, at least see if someone can come get him? A famous rapper is going to walk home? No he’s not. Then when the fight for the gun happens Paperboi is on his feet and standing over the kid with the gun. Does he kick the kid in the face? Does he drop a knee on his chest? Does he even try to grab the gun which he definitely could have gotten? Nope, he runs into the woods, and then apparently walks around for 6-8 hours. Okie dokie.

Edited by Goo Punch

23 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Dead serious- does that shit actually do anything for you? Paperboi’s character growth makes this show enjoyable to you? That’s something doesn’t resonante with me in this case.

I’d rather laugh for half an hour than watch Paperboi grow, especially if he’s only going to be a marginal character so often.

Major bummer of a season.

The character’s name is Alfred (or Al).  “Paper Boi” is just his persona/stage name, and much of this season (and the last episode) is him trying to navigate that dichotomy.  I loved the drive-thru scene a few episodes back... extra fries... That’s just a microcosm of this season in general (if that’s at all possible).

Quick aside:  I *highly* recommend the NPR Fresh Air interview with the actor who plays Alfred (Brian Tyree Henry).  Helps appreciate his character even more, I believe.  The dude went to Yale School of Drama & has a theater background.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/18/603444500/actor-brian-tyree-henry-on-fame-authenticity-and-atlanta

Sure, there’s less of an overall story arc this season, but Donald Glover obviously wants to experiment a bit.  Hats off to FX for letting him do it.  

I’m sure Donald Glover is a busy guy & it initially striked me as odd that “his” show would feature multiple episodes without him in it at all (or just a bit part), but I think this show is better appreciated when you realize it’s unlike any other show on television, ever. 

A few episodes of this season lagged, but it’s still unquestionably one of the better shows on tv today.  And I’m not the only one who agrees.

This is one of those shows where some people say it’s genius and others think it’s just aight (see: Peaky Blinders opinions around here). To me I know genius/brilliant/possibly-the-best-show-on-TV when I see it (Arrested Development, Parks n Rec, Community, Breaking Bad, LOST, The Wire), and I would say that the opinions in those shows are far less split than they are on this show. This show just isn’t that entertaining to me, or plenty of other people for that matter. I too loved the drive thru scene, I believe I posted that at the time. THAT was entertaining. The German Festival one? May as well have been The Fly. To me anyway.

Edited by Goo Punch

Fuckin' roasting was a legit extracurricular activity in Houston too. Somebody told me I looked like Sabonis when I played basketball in middle school and I never lived it down. In all seriousness that one bystander that stays quiet is important. It always stuck out to me the few times somebody in the group (especially somebody with clout) would step in and redirect bc the target was taking it too harshly. More people gotta raise kids like that. Interesting topic to make an episode about.

13 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

A shell of season one, but the punch and run is the highlight of season 2 so far. 

Pretty obvious the cast had other commitments and they had to write/shoot around everybody's schedule.  I'd say Glover rose to the challenge.  Really liked these last two episodes.  Awesome show all in all.

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

It was interesting that the white kid wasn't subject to the same taunting as the other kids.

Yeah it was.  and he said he wore the same shirt twice in a week.  Little Earn figuring out some people are caught up in some dumb thinking.

22 hours ago, Caracara said:

Pretty obvious the cast had other commitments and they had to write/shoot around everybody's schedule.  I'd say Glover rose to the challenge.  Really liked these last two episodes.  Awesome show all in all.

i don't think it's obvious and i seriously doubt this was the situation.  their obligations are to this tv show.  it's season 2, not 12.  these were creative decisions.

Man, that was an episode. That was like a shot-for-shot recreation of a day in HS for me. He absolutely nailed that. Agree with whomever said that kid Alfie did a great job. This was by far the best episode of the season for me, up there with B.A.N. as best episodes of the series. 

On 5/4/2018 at 12:28 PM, F250 said:

It was interesting that the white kid wasn't subject to the same taunting as the other kids.

Well of course, because white kids don’t have to deal with those pressures. How you look, how you present yourself, the clothes you wear, etc are much more important in the black community, for reasons laid out by Momma Earn at the end. Growing up in Pflugerville, spending time with my black friends and their families was like going to another world from the one the white kids lived in. It’s almost the same as the difference in the white kids’ world and that of the Mexican kids with Immigrsnt parents. You might all live in the same city/neighborhood and go to the same school, but where the family shops for clothes, where they shop for food, where they go to church, where they get their hair done, the movies they see, the music they listen to, the food they make- it’s all a culture of their own, and often completely different from what the mainstream is doing. It’s why I have so much love for the South Park episode on the subject, because they nailed it as well- no matter how much you want to understand, a white person can never truly understand what being black in America really means. 

Edited by Goo Punch

About as much closure and "hope" we can get from this show. Earn needed that. There was a lot of showcase acting in that episode and everybody did well. Al on the plane was pretty damn solid, Darius getting "serious" and focusing at that Jewish spot, Earn baring himself for Darius, all good shit.

Spoiler

People on twitter were saying that Earn did that on purpose, I thought he probably just left it in his bag on accident after taking it out of Al's presence and then had to make a split-second decision at the airport. What y'all think? If he did do that on purpose it seems like the first time he's really taken something into his own hands and made some shit happen. But it also kinda seems far-fetched.