2020 DL Alfred Collins

texifornia

4 minutes ago, HornDomination said:

Tough to see my daughter’s boyfriend (QB #7 for Elgin) get absolutely destroyed by AC in that HUDL.  I told him before the game to always know where #99 was...but he still got concussed on one of those hard sacks and had to leave the game.  5* gonna 5*. 

Your daughter's boyfriend? Seems like Alfred Collins did you a favor, brah.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Your daughter's boyfriend? Seems like Alfred Collins did you a favor, brah.

Eh, he’s a good kid.  Unfortunate that a lot of the seniors on Elgin’s football team gave up on their coaches before the season even started, which lost #7 most of his experienced blockers up front.  Poor kid was running for his life most of the season. 

That said, AC had himself a game against my Wildcats.  Sure am glad he picked the good guys today - like most here, I think he has the potential to be something really special. 

(Mike Roach) Family and football: How Alfred Collins came to his decision

Alfred Collins had the most anticipated announcement in the state of Texas on National Signing Day. The 247Sports five-star defensive lineman from Bastrop Cedar Creek picked between Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama. When it came down to the end, Collins ended up staying in state and picking Texas, but Collins said it wasn’t an easy decision. “It was a dogfight,” he said. “It just came down to how I felt during my official visits.”

Collins’ mother Benita Pollard-Collins stayed involved for most of her son’s recruitment. A former basketball player at Texas, Pollard-Collins said they were open to letting Alfred make his own decision and forge his own path. “My husband and I were excited,” she said. “Regardless of where he goes we were supporting him. We were very open with the coaches. Of course, I’m going to lean towards UT, but we were just really open with him that it was his decision.”

Collins said he knew where he was going in the week leading up to his announcement. He felt the fit at Texas was strong for his skilslet. “At the end of the day, it came down to where I’d play,” he said. “They switched out to a four-man (front), and I like four-man because I don’t like getting double teamed every play. I think that’s where I fit best.”

Pollard-Collins said that she thought the decision was based on location and the relationship Alfred had with Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles. Regardless, she admitted that the decision was a tough one to make. “I want to say it was probably location,” he said. “Just the family. Coach Giles just really developed a relationship. We felt good about it, and he felt good about it. All of the coaches did a great job. The final three did a phenomenal job building relationships with us. It’s not as easy as people will assume it is. I think that final say-so was based on Alfred’s heart.”

Alfred also indicated that he had a strong relationship with Giles. He felt that the Texas assistant was the best candidate to develop him on and off the field. “I just like the way he coaches,” he said. “I like him as a person, and I feel like he’ll develop me to be the best player I can be.” Pollard-Collins was able to meet many coaches during her son’s recruitment, but she said that Giles came across as authentic and took the extra steps to forge a meaningful relationship.

“Coach Giles is real,” she said. “He’s like the uncle. He cares about him. He was really awesome because he would come to his sister’s basketball games. He would take the extra step and that really meant a lot to our family to come and support them and ask his sister how her game went. It was truly about family, and that kind of solidified his focus. It was about Alfred, but it was also about the family itself, so that was something that really stood out.”

When Collins told his mother of his decision, he said she was happy he was staying close to home. “She was very happy,” he said. “I’m staying home, and she can come watch my games.” Pollard-Collins said that she was just thankful for the opportunity to be blessed with so many options for her son’s future. “I’m excited,” she said. “You never think you’d be in this position, and God blessed us with this opportunity to support Alfred in this journey.”

Now that the recruiting process is done, Collins is glad to have it behind him. “I’m glad to have it over,” he said. “Just picking a school is stressful. I want to go to all of them, but at the end of the day I can’t.” Pollard-Collins echoed Alfred’s comments and said she’s ready to move on to the next phase. “I’m excited,” she said. “I didn’t know I could walk up so many stairs in a season. It does take a toll overall with just emotional and mental stress, and just inviting people into your homes. We’re pretty excited that it’s done and now we’re ready for the next step.”

At 6-foot-5, 284 pounds, Collins is ranked as the No. 2 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 8 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...