RIP Kirk Douglas -- 103 years young

smwhorn

Can we rename the Mandela Effect, the Spartacus Effect?   Because I don’t think anyone thought Kirk Douglas was still alive.  

but enjoyed his Kubrick roles, RIP

am i the only one who grew up with "tough guys" from the 80's?

also, sidebar here - can we please retire the phrase "years young" when talking about an old person?  no offense to the op here, but i personally hate it, especially when it's said in the presence of the old person.  they know they're fucking 90, or 95, or 103.  do we really need to condescend with some not-so-clever wordplay about their age?

rant over.  rip kirk.

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

also, sidebar here - can we please retire the phrase "years young" when talking about an old person?  no offense to the op here, but i personally hate it, especially when it's said in the presence of the old person.  they know they're fucking 90, or 95, or 103.  do we really need to condescend with some not-so-clever wordplay about their age?

rant over.  rip kirk.

Sorry young man but I can't agree to your request.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

RIP. He was rumored to be extremely displeased with all the SCTV Joe Flaherty skits of him.

One of my favorite SCTV characters of all time, used to get me rolling. This one always stands out in my mind.

• Like 1

My introduction to Kirk was the motherfucking Vikings.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Spartacus

Paths of glory

Seven Days in May

In Harms Way

There was a crooked man

Young Man with a horn

20,000 leagues under the sea

The bold and the beautiful

My favorites.

And the greatest of these is.....

The motherfucking Vikings!

source.gif

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Can we rename the Mandela Effect, the Spartacus Effect?   Because I don’t think anyone thought Kirk Douglas was still alive.  

but enjoyed his Kubrick roles, RIP

Weird, was just watching a ‘Criminal Minds’ episode today about Mandela Effect.  Haven’t heard that term in 15 years and have heard it twice in less than an hour.   Weird shit 

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Splash the Zeroes!

RIP to a great actor and even better man. He almost single handed broke the Hollywood Blacklist.

Sad to say this is probably the only movie of his that I saw.  Damn good one though.

Edited by mulletpelini
what are you saying

I watch Lust For Life pretty much every time it's on TCM. The Bad And The Beautiful is so wonderfully campy it is required viewing.

Lesser discussed but a great movie is Ace In The Hole.

Kirk was a great Doc Holliday, as well.

Edited by DougO

One of my favorite stories is when he was filming The War Wagon with John Wayne.  On morning Kirk was filming an endorsement ad for Democratic Governor Ed Brown and was late to the set.  This pissed of John Wayne, so the next day John Wayne filmed an ad for Ronald Reagan and made Kirk wait on the set. 

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

One of my favorite stories is when he was filming The War Wagon with John Wayne.  On morning Kirk was filming an endorsement ad for Democratic Governor Ed Brown and was late to the set.  This pissed of John Wayne, so the next day John Wayne filmed an ad for Ronald Reagan and made Kirk wait on the set. 

Wayne also said you need to watch your roles or you'll hurt yourself as a movie star. Kirk apparently said I'm an actor, and not a movie star, I'm paraphrasing a bit here I believe.

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Kirk Douglas - Vet of WWII

John Wayne - fake tough guy

To be fair, Wayne was 10 years older and by most accounts, made efforts to enlist and to serve in the OSS that were foiled for various reasons, including studio interference.

It has always somewhat amused me how many high-wattage Hollywood stars, such as Kirk, were Jewish and how many likely virulent anti-Semites were unaware of that.

20 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

rant over.  rip kirk.

I will agree if we can make an exception for Betty White.  She's still doable, so she deserves the exception.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

To be fair, Wayne was 10 years older and by most accounts, made efforts to enlist and to serve in the OSS that were foiled for various reasons, including studio interference.

It has always somewhat amused me how many high-wattage Hollywood stars, such as Kirk, were Jewish and how many likely virulent anti-Semites were unaware of that.

Watch Five Came Back.

Clark Gable, Henry Fonda were older and served.  Jimmy Stewart was a year younger and served.   John Wayne was a fake toughguy and while he did have kids to support,  his promise of enlisting after 3 movies never happened.   He tried to join the OSS because Ford was there and his deferment status was never appealed by him to allow him to serve, however in '44 his previous status was revoked and his studio appealed, most likely on his behalf.