who or what is "Awkwafina", and why is Comedy Central trying to shove her down my throat?

Goo Punch

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A 30 min cable tv show is shoving it down your throat?

no, what MTV does with Ridiculousness is shoving it down your throat. with this chick it's the incessant ads all over my phone- instagram, youtube, basically any app or device i've ever used lets Big Brother's algorithms know that users like me might also be interested in Awkwafina because she's on Comedy Central. now i can't escape her, despite never having seen her show or the fact that i couldn't even tell you what channel CC even is, let alone the last time I was actually watching it. sometimes technology sucks. 

Edited by Goo Punch

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

no, what MTV does with Ridiculousness is shoving it down your throat. with this chick it's the incessant ads all over my phone- instagram, youtube, basically any app or device i've ever used lets Big Brother's algorithms know that users like me might also be interested in Awkwafina because she's on Comedy Central. now i can't escape her, despite never having seen her show or the fact that i couldn't even tell you what channel CC even is, let alone the last time I was actually watching it. sometimes technology sucks. 

I have never seen a single add for her in my entire life. I wouldn't even know her name if I didn't watch her win a golden globe.

Is it possible you were searching for her nudes on Google and now need to clear your cookies?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I also had no idea who she is and didn’t/don’t understand why they don’t just market the show with the show’s name rather than some “Tyler Perry Presents” BS. 

She got a lot of shit for acting black / her 'blaccent', so *I believe* this is a conscious effort to move away from the Awkwafina persona.  Nora is her name irl.

• Fuck You 1

She used to seem like the Asian female version of that blindingly white guy you know from Flower Mound or Cypress who drives a T-Top Camaro and dresses and talks like a caricature of a 90's black gangsta.   It seemed overtly racist and it was weird that people paid her any attention other than to hate her.

But it seems like she dropped that act in the last year or so, and she's actually been good in the stuff I've seen her in lately - the Farewell foremost among them. I think her big mainstream "breakthrough" was in that Ocean's 8 Sandra Bullock thing but I didn't see it.  

Still don't understand the misspelled Pepsi water name thing, though.  Really bothers me.

17 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Clear your cookies, homeshank.

3 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

She used to seem like the Asian female version of that blindingly white guy you know from Flower Mound or Cypress who drives a T-Top Camaro and dresses and talks like a caricature of a 90's black gangsta.   It seemed overtly racist and it was weird that people paid her any attention other than to hate her.

But it seems like she dropped that act in the last year or so, and she's actually been good in the stuff I've seen her in lately - the Farewell foremost among them. I think her big mainstream "breakthrough" was in that Ocean's 8 Sandra Bullock thing but I didn't see it.  

Still don't understand the misspelled Pepsi water name thing, though.  Really bothers me.

I saw her interviewed last week and she talked about that.  Unfortunately, I didn't find it interesting enough to remember what she said.  Or really even pay attention to the answer.  I hope that helps!

I saw her interviewed last week and she talked about that.  Unfortunately, I didn't find it interesting enough to remember what she said.  Or really even pay attention to the answer.  I hope that helps!

She said she basically came up with the dumbest nickname she could and it sucked. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her drop it since she’s doing serious movies. I don’t think I’ve seen her in anything but she was supposed to be great in The Farewell.