who or what is "Awkwafina", and why is Comedy Central trying to shove her down my throat?

Goo Punch

On 2/5/2020 at 8:47 PM, Michael Knight said:

Cool thread racist misogynist

On 2/5/2020 at 11:13 PM, RPM said:

Racist Derka meltdown duly noted. Personally, the eps of NFQ I've watched were funny.

22 hours ago, lateshow said:

Why do you hate Asians, Derka?

It's gotten so far flung overboard throughout the entire breadth of our media/messaging platforms that I honestly have no idea who's being serious and who isn't.  Though I fear they're all serious.

• Like 1

Just now, Augustus said:

You're the "Man, the food here is really awful, and in such small portions" guy.

If you participate willingly you don't get to whine.

Was I whining?  I don't think I was whining.

Whining would be something like, "Bob, tell Augustus to stop scolding me!"

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 10:31 PM, Goo Punch said:

no, what MTV does with Ridiculousness is shoving it down your throat. with this chick it's the incessant ads all over my phone- instagram, youtube, basically any app or device i've ever used lets Big Brother's algorithms know that users like me might also be interested in Awkwafina because she's on Comedy Central. now i can't escape her, despite never having seen her show or the fact that i couldn't even tell you what channel CC even is, let alone the last time I was actually watching it. sometimes technology sucks. 

This is her/our/mtv/CC's fault how?

Pretty funny show. One of the few my and I both enjoy. The Sneak Peak episode was terrible, but the others have been good. 

Much in the mold of Ellie Kemper, Awkwafina has gradually improved her appearance as she's come into more and more Hollywood money. It's amazing what fixing your teeth, hair, and high priced facials can do. 

On 2/5/2020 at 9:57 PM, TwiceHorn said:

She was in that Crazy RIch Asians shitshow.  She's actually kind of amusing in an awkward, azn way.

Perfect answer. We couldn't finish the movie, but she was the only amusing thing in it. I was stunned at how lame the comedy was.

49 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Perfect answer. We couldn't finish the movie, but she was the only amusing thing in it. I was stunned at how lame the comedy was.

Saw it for the first time last night, seemed like a Made for TV or lifetime channel movie.  She was the only thing that had anything on the ball.

On 2/7/2020 at 1:52 PM, DDD Dad said:

Was I whining?  I don't think I was whining.

Whining would be something like, "Bob, tell Augustus to stop scolding me!"

Entirely possible that I mistook the meaning behind your post.

I interpreted it as a sarcastic "Oh great, another Derka thread."

I now realize you meant, "Oh great! Another Derka thread."

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Entirely possible that I mistook the meaning behind your post.

I interpreted it as a sarcastic "Oh great, another Derka thread."

I now realize you meant, "Oh great! Another Derka thread."

wait- people don't mean the second one whenever they say that? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

She was good in that movie, but I disagree about the movie on one point: the wedding scene was lovely. I say this because I am a huge softie for weddings, especially a wedding for which I'm not paying and only an observer. In real life, my ideal wedding to attend is one where I go, drop off the gift, witness the vows/ceremony, share in the well-wishes to the couple, congratulate them in the receiving line along with family and friends and then depart on that happy note.

I suppose its selfish of me, but like welcoming a new baby, welcoming a couple and being witness to their vows is a happy time.

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

She was good in that movie, but I disagree about the movie on one point: the wedding scene was lovely. I say this because I am a huge softie for weddings, especially a wedding for which I'm not paying and only an observer. In real life, my ideal wedding to attend is one where I go, drop off the gift, witness the vows/ceremony, share in the well-wishes to the couple, congratulate them in the receiving line along with family and friends and then depart on that happy note.

I suppose its selfish of me, but like welcoming a new baby, welcoming a couple and being witness to their vows is a happy time.

We didn't make it to the wedding. Neither of us was ever tempted to start watching the movie again after turning it off half way through.

I like your world view; I don't think I share it.

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

We didn't make it to the wedding. Neither of us was ever tempted to start watching the movie again after turning it off half way through.

I like your world view; I don't think I share it.

It's not a great movie, but my perspective on movies is the same as my perspective on music: it's a mood/situation thing. I love lots of different types of music, but I don't wholly love any one type. With respect to movies, about the only genre I really will not, can not watch is horror. I have terrific nightmares. I just do. I am a visual learner so it may have something to do with that, but I cannot get the scenes out of my head.

During treatment, when I would be quite low and sickly for the few days following, I would watch what I call 'the big criers," movies like "The Color Purple," "Fried Green Tomatoes," "Schindler's List," "Philadelphia," "Gladiator"and so on. The wonderful resiliency of the human spirit, hope when there ought to be none, these are things that can help us appreciate and be thankful for life even when it and everything that surrounds it is overwhelming, or evil, or unfair. Watch, cry, wipe my tears, and move forward so when the kids came home from school, there was Mom with a hug and sharing that hope the earth keeps on turning even if we don't know how it's going to turn out just yet.

My grammie always said, 'takes all kinds to make a world,' so different world views makes life interesting. Simple on the surface, complex through and through!

• Like 1