Renew or Not - Eff Off Herman

Dbeasy

Since the late Mack years, Texas football has been a complete ass whip. Underperformance. Embarrassing losses. So given the weak 2019, should season ticket holders finally just say screw it and drop their tickets?

I’ve been buying them every year since the 1980’s and have solid section 7 seats. We are seriously contemplating dropping them, or selling them for the year (with an additional $1k longhorn foundation payment ). Give it one more year or drop ‘em? What are other season ticket holders thinking?

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Since the late Mack years, Texas football has been a complete ass whip. Underperformance. Embarrassing losses. So given the weak 2019, should season ticket holders finally just say screw it and drop their tickets?

I’ve been buying them every year since the 1980’s and have solid section 7 seats. We are seriously contemplating dropping them, or selling them for the year (with an additional $1k longhorn foundation payment ). Give it one more year or drop ‘em? What are other season ticket holders thinking?

We probably, just based on timing of good/big classes and OU and Baylor flipping a lot of their roster, should be pretty good this year. Won't take a whole lot more to get double-digit wins.

FWIW, I'm in the same boat with my UCLA tix.  Not only is the product on the field complete horseshit, but when you couple it with 3 to 4 7pm or later kickoffs and 6 days hold start time windows, it just isn't worth it.  I cancelled all sorts of plans last fall only to sit and watch home losses in night games to the likes of Oregon St and Cal.  But I would be able to pick up secondary market tix cheap and easy, at least until they start winning again.  But our season ticket demand is down like 40% from a few years ago.  The athletic dept is fucked and hemorrhaging money like sieve .  I got my renewal email yesterday, and I think I'm out.

Choosing Sam's senior year as the year you finally say "screw it" is a decision you will regret. Book it, bitch.

You sat there and suffered three years of the worst coach in school history and made it out the other side. You have the intestinal fortitude to make it through 2020.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

. We are seriously contemplating dropping them, or selling them for the year (with an additional $1k longhorn foundation payment ). Give it one more year or drop ‘em? What are other season ticket holders thinking?

I had Sec 3 tickets and dropped them mainly because of Patterson - now have regrets. 

Keep them one more year and sell the ones you don't want to attend.  See how that works.  "Bama comes to town in 2022.

59 minutes ago, torre said:

I had Sec 3 tickets and dropped them mainly because of Patterson - now have regrets. 

Keep them one more year and sell the ones you don't want to attend.  See how that works.  "Bama comes to town in 2022.

This.

The drive from San Antonio to Austin that always pisses me off.  The ungodly heat in September.  12 escalator rides to get to my seats in the upper west side deck.  The mediocrity of the product for the last 10 years.  An hour to get out of the state parking lot.  Getting old so I gotta book a hotel since its getting harder to drive back at night.  Yeah, WTF, I'll renew.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BERT said:

Oh boo fucking hoo to the “what do I do?” people with season tickets. At least y’all have that option.  While the poors like myself try to get to one game a year. 

Yep, don’t feel bad for ya. 

Maybe have fewer frivolous purchases during the week “because I’ve had a shitty day and I deserve it”

Oh boo fucking hoo to the “what do I do?” people with season tickets. At least y’all have that option.  While the poors like myself try to get to one game a year. 

Yep, don’t feel bad for ya. 

Who let this poor person into the thread? Security!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, and Georgia are all coming in the next few years. I'd hang on to them. You at least want to be in the stadium to help boo the team off the field if we get three punts blocked or get down 35-0 at the half. 

• Like 1

I can scratch the itch by going to 1-2 games a year.  Take the kids to a non-conference game in September and pony up for or mooch some good tickets to the one solid home game a year.  

The Texas home football schedule can be offensive when the big non-conference game is away due to the OU game being in Dallas and playing in the Big 12.  We are basically back in the SWC at this point.

2020 Home Schedule

USF

UTEP

WVU

Baylor

TCU

Iowa State

1997 Home Schedule (last year of SWC)

Pitt

Rice

Virginia

Tech

TCU 

Baylor

• Like 1

I'm renewing and will be looking to sell the whole season package, not game by game.  Basically, take the year off and see if I miss it.  I'm not even going to try and make $$ on the deal.  The buyer pays what I pay.  I have a couple interested parties but it won't be a bidding war (like that would happen anyhow).

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

I can scratch the itch by going to 1-2 games a year.  Take the kids to a non-conference game in September and pony up for or mooch some good tickets to the one solid home game a year.  

The Texas home football schedule can be offensive when the big non-conference game is away due to the OU game being in Dallas and playing in the Big 12.  We are basically back in the SWC at this point.

2020 Home Schedule

USF

UTEP

WVU

Baylor

TCU

Iowa State

1997 Home Schedule (last year of SWC)

Pitt

Rice

Virginia

Tech

TCU 

Baylor

Show me a loss!

I’m getting rid of mine. Would rather splurge on a couple of games in the Texas Club and maybe make a road game rather than have a full season. Miss watching the other games on Saturdays when driving in on game day. The costs of hotels, meals, etc add up too.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

15 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

FWIW, I'm in the same boat with my UCLA tix.  Not only is the product on the field complete horseshit, but when you couple it with 3 to 4 7pm or later kickoffs and 6 days hold start time windows, it just isn't worth it.  I cancelled all sorts of plans last fall only to sit and watch home losses in night games to the likes of Oregon St and Cal.  But I would be able to pick up secondary market tix cheap and easy, at least until they start winning again.  But our season ticket demand is down like 40% from a few years ago.  The athletic dept is fucked and hemorrhaging money like sieve .  I got my renewal email yesterday, and I think I'm out.

Sounds like a buy low situation to me.  Even if you have good seats, you might be able to upgrade to some great ones that are being vacated.

As for me, I've had my seats for over 30 years now.  I haven't been able to make home games in recent years because of kids' fall activities and currently living half-way across the country, but it would cost me at least $5,000 more per year to get those seats back if I gave them up just to make a statement.  I have made some road and bowl games, but now that the kids have moved on to bigger and better things, I may be able to make some home games again and judge how my stadium neighbors have aged. Yay!

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

29 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Sounds like a buy low situation to me.  Even if you have good seats, you might be able to upgrade to some great ones that are being vacated.

Yeah, but in their infinite brilliance, they have varying donation levels to the Wooden Athletic Fund based on location.  I could easily upgrade to a better location, but my WAF donation level would go up dramatically.  If they would allow you the chance to upgrade without bumping the donation level, I probably would.  It is frustrating to see the  really good empty seats that go unsold because they won't back off the donation levels.  I have about as good of seats as I can get for my donation level, which I ain't bumping up for this shit.

15 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Keep em, dude. Yeah, we suck and shit, but it's Texas football. Always have that love even when we suck. 

The tailgating (outdoors), the food and the drinking on Saturdays is all great.I have the cheapest tickets because it gets me in and the most enjoyable part comes before the game anyway. Maybe once we start winning the games will also be great and my seats will suck. Right now they are fine and I can always move since so many people don't show up.

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

The tailgating (outdoors), the food and the drinking on Saturdays is all great.I have the cheapest tickets because it gets me in and the most enjoyable part comes before the game anyway. Maybe once we start winning the games will also be great and my seats will suck. Right now they are fine and I can always move since so many people don't show up.

Then you got it made, my dude! And yeah, the tailgates are always bad ass. 

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

I don't understand why anyone attend a football game at this point. Watching on my TV with my beer and my restroom wins 100% of the time. 

Because going to home games is actually fun now(as long as you listen to Craig and not the PA) and the energy in the stadium can't be replicated in your shitty house.

Edited by Goodman

I ditched mine.  I've grown bored with Austin and Texas game day.  I'd rather spend that money on a road-trip every year.  Airfare, nice hotel, different city, different venue. There are great opportunities coming up to experience some of the best destinations in college football, and Baton Rouge too.

• Like 2

I’m out. I’ve been in east side club for some time. Tired of shitty product, the stupid “state fair” style drink ticket system etc etc

I may switch to new end zone club depending on costs but it’s been a shitastic 1 step fwd, 2 steps back decade plus and for what I’m spending I can easily arbitrage the one decent home game a year and still have a good amount of $ leftover. 

I have zero faith Herman pulls it together and rights this ship. 

8 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I’m getting rid of mine. Would rather splurge on a couple of games in the Texas Club and maybe make a road game rather than have a full season. Miss watching the other games on Saturdays when driving in on game day. The costs of hotels, meals, etc add up too.

This. I gave up my season tickets after a decade after Strong’s second year. It’s a lot of time, effort and money to go watch bad football. Especially with young children in the equation.

I can walk up and scalp a ticket to a game I want to see for far less than a season ticket package. And the rest of the time my couch is more comfortable, and the concessions in my fridge are cheaper and better than what’s offered in the stadium. 

Maybe when the kids get a bit older I’ll jump back in, but probably not unless I end up living near Austin.

• Like 1