BBQ

thrillhammer

Didn't see a thread on this.   Brother coming in this weekend.  Where should we go?  Been to Mickelwaite, Stiles, LA, Brothertons, Valentinas, Franklin, Coopers, Terry Blacks, Interstellar.   I'm thinking Leroy and Lewis should be next.   What are some other top notch places?  Is JM's place in Granger worth a shot?

Definite thumbs-up on Leroy and Lewis.  If you want brisket it's Saturday/Sunday only.

I also like Brown's on South Lamar.

Haven't been to JM's in Granger yet, probably won't get a chance before it shuts down and he pops up somewhere else.  

9 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

Didn't see a thread on this.   Brother coming in this weekend.  Where should we go?  Been to Mickelwaite, Stiles, LA, Brothertons, Valentinas, Franklin, Coopers, Terry Blacks, Interstellar.   I'm thinking Leroy and Lewis should be next.   What are some other top notch places?  Is JM's place in Granger worth a shot?

This list, along with Browns, is pretty good.  I had a bad experience at Mickelthwaite, but the others are solid.  I'd add the Salt Lick if you are OK with driving to Driftwood.

• 5 months later...

Coming down with the kids tomorrow to spend the day/night at Barton Creek before heading on to see my parents in San Antonio on Saturday. Just the three of us, no wife who doesn't want to wait a bit for the best BBQ CenTex/Austin has to offer. Went to Franklin one time back when he was still in the trailer. Have been to Stiles Switch out in Dripping Springs. The kids want to eat some BBQ so what can we knock out. Probably roll into Austin around noon-1 tomorrow. Likely heading to SA around noon or so Saturday with plans to pick more scenic routes to NW SA.

Valentina's is one I'd really like to cross off the list. Leroy & Lewis? Micklethwait? La BBQ? What are the current rules at these places? Take-out only, not open at all? Likely time investment, etc? Thanks!

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Coming down with the kids tomorrow to spend the day/night at Barton Creek before heading on to see my parents in San Antonio on Saturday. Just the three of us, no wife who doesn't want to wait a bit for the best BBQ CenTex/Austin has to offer. Went to Franklin one time back when he was still in the trailer. Have been to Stiles Switch out in Dripping Springs. The kids want to eat some BBQ so what can we knock out. Probably roll into Austin around noon-1 tomorrow. Likely heading to SA around noon or so Saturday with plans to pick more scenic routes to NW SA.

Valentina's is one I'd really like to cross off the list. Leroy & Lewis? Micklethwait? La BBQ? What are the current rules at these places? Take-out only, not open at all? Likely time investment, etc? Thanks!

Which part? 2M might be worth checking out while you're in town. You can just text in your order and pick up time with the Covid changes. Then just swing by and pick it up. The drive-by line gets kind of long (30ish minutes) sometimes, but the text to go curbside line is usually pretty quick.

https://www.2msmokehouse.com/curbside-pickup/

2 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Which part? 2M might be worth checking out while you're in town. You can just text in your order and pick up time with the Covid changes. Then just swing by and pick it up. The drive-by line gets kind of long (30ish minutes) sometimes, but the text to go curbside line is usually pretty quick.

Parents are in Shavano Park. We did 2M a couple of years ago when we were home for Xmas. It's terrific.

BBQ nerd buddy of mine up here suggested taking them to Louie Mueller on the way down -- I've been there but the kids haven't. Maybe do that and hit Valentina for late breakfast on our way out of town.

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Parents are in Shavano Park. We did 2M a couple of years ago when we were home for Xmas. It's terrific.

BBQ nerd buddy of mine up here suggested taking them to Louie Mueller on the way down -- I've been there but the kids haven't. Maybe do that and hit Valentina for late breakfast on our way out of town.

Excellent choices all around. I just try to send anyone near San Antonio to 2M (especially right now). I'm selfish and want to make sure they have enough business to stay open...and make sure you get the tortillas at Valentina's; they're fantastic.

On 8/6/2020 at 1:57 PM, IDIOTsavant said:

2m I thought was good but not great. Two Bros in SA does about as good as can be expected for an open all day place.

Edit: Sounds like I need to give 2M another shot. Any recs? I just did the brisket and sausage last time. Sausage was incredible but I wasn’t blown away by the brisket 

Edited by hobbes2702

23 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

2m I thought was good but not great. Two Bros in SA does about as good as can be expected for an open all day place.

Edit: Sounds like I need to give 2M another shot. Any recs? I just did the brisket and sausage last time. Sausage was incredible but I wasn’t blown away by the brisket 

Usually the brisket is pretty good, but I've had one or two times where it wasn't quite at it's usual level. Their sausages are very good, and my wife really likes the pulled pork (insert joke here). They use a dry rub after pulling it rather than covering it in sauce. Ribs are also solid. The sides are very good as well. Really need to make it over on the first Sunday of the month to try the barbacoa. The Mexican corn, chicharron Mac, and beans are my favorite sides, but I think the beans are on hiatus with the dining room not being open. Also, don't forget tortillas and the house made pickles...maybe the pickled nopales if you want something a little different. I usually get a black cherry soda to wash it down...and yes, I occasionally teter on being a great, big fat person .

24 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea the barbacoa is something I need to check out as well. Have you given any of their tacos a run?

Nah, I usually just make my own with what I ordered. The tortillas are solid, but they're not Valentina's level in my opinion. Although there aren't very many tortillas I would choose over Valentina's if I'm being honest.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I posted to the general Texas BBQ thread but not this one specifically-- the new Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew in Cedar Park was really good.  I went on opening day and had the pork spares, brisket, and beef rib.  Beef rib and brisket were perfectly cooked, moist and delicious with heavy, peppery bark.  And the pork spares were better than I recall from their North Lamar location, they had more, and larger, black pepper flakes on them.  They still had that sweetness that is characteristic of their usual style, I think they finish with a sweet glaze of some kind, but the additional black pepper made me like them considerably more.

If they can maintain that level consistently, they'll be a really good option up north.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Balcones said:

Very few places do beef ribs. And even fewer deliver better than a B+

Places in Austin that come to mind (and I’m sure there are others I’m not thinking about) that serve beef ribs daily.  We can all debate where these fall in the pantheon of bbq joints and particular menu items, but all are better than County Line, and all make very good beef ribs:

Mickelthwait

Terry Black’s

Stiles Switch

Black’s

In the not so distant past, I have gone to County Line simply because my wife's parents have a nostalgic bent for the place.

I am dead certain their food has gone way downhill, but it's possible that they haven't slid all that much and the surge of truly great competition in Austin has just dropped them to the bottom of the pack.  A couple of years ago I ordered brisket and pork ribs, and both were absolutely horrible.  Since then, I've just ordered the beef rib, and while it isn't as good as the best I've had in the area (Louie Mueller, Stiles Switch) it is pretty decent.  Sometimes you just need to keep the family peace.  (That's my story and I'm sticking with it.)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Is Black’s near campus as good as the Lockhart spot?

Nope.

The one on the Drag is commissary, they ship it in from Lockhart.  It doesn't hold up well, in my experience.

Hopfields next door, on the other hand, has tasty food and some great beers.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/7/2020 at 8:16 PM, Deej said:

Bill Miller's for that authentic experience. Just order the fried chicken.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:59 PM, Deej said:

Go to Bill Miller's and get fried chicken.

how much fried chicken do you eat?  bill miller’s chicken is fine. better than their bbq. not great. 

On 8/28/2020 at 12:33 PM, AustinMT said:

Agree on Opie's . It's All Good. Tried It's All Good a couple of times, and the brisket had the steamed look/taste

Tried Its all good for the first time last week and that was our experience with the brisket, I thought I would give them a 2nd chance as the rest of the food was good. But I guess not. 

Opie's is solid all around and happy to stick with that. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/22/2021 at 9:55 AM, hornbri said:

Tried Its all good for the first time last week and that was our experience with the brisket, I thought I would give them a 2nd chance as the rest of the food was good. But I guess not. 

Opie's is solid all around and happy to stick with that. 

the only thing to get at It's All Good is the turkey and the jalapeno poppers.

On 5/10/2021 at 7:48 AM, CooterBrown said:

Valentina’s is building their own brick and mortar in Buda and will be moving next year. Get your fix before it’s out in BFE.

Buda's gonna have themselves a nice little BBQ Trail to rival Lockhart with Valentina's, Bill Miller, and Logan's Roadhouse