Cheap car insurance?

So, we're going to introduce a new, 18 yr old driver (getting license soon) to the world of car insurance.  He'll be driving an affordable sedan, nothing fancy.  Looking to get coverage with 1) the minimum liability required by law, and basic collision with a high deductible (so, if he wrecks the car, he can replace it, but maybe not with something as nice).

We're with State Farm for all of our insurance, so get decent rates through that.  He will be a stand-alone policy holder.  Any good recs on insurers to check out?  Low premiums really are important -- he's going to have to pay his own insurance etc., so needs to be able to do so with a part time job.

Thanks for any recs.

Edited by Brisketexan

I seem to have to price the market every year. Costco is the best I've found. Online ratings look pretty good. Annual increases aren't obscene.

Tell your kid that he/she is going to have a wreck. The only question is if it's going to be a bad one or a fender bender. Never drive tired. Never ride in a car with a driver who's been drinking. Just being in your lane isn't enough. It's the oncoming drivers you have to worry about the most. Good luck.

That is all.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, we're going to introduce a new, 18 yr old driver (getting license soon) to the world of car insurance.  He'll be driving an affordable sedan, nothing fancy.  Looking to get coverage with 1) the minimum liability required by law, and basic collision with a high deductible (so, if he wrecks the car, he can replace it, but maybe not with something as nice).

We're with State Farm for all of our insurance, so get decent rates through that.  He will be a stand-alone policy holder.  Any good recs on insurers to check out?  Low premiums really are important -- he's going to have to pay his own insurance etc., so needs to be able to do so with a part time job.

Thanks for any recs.

I don't think we can help with the way you want to do this. First off, our agency standards require at least 100/300/100 liability limits. How is the car going to be titled? To him alone or to both of you?

4 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I seem to have to price the market every year. Costco is the best I've found. Online ratings look pretty good. Annual increases aren't obscene.

Tell your kid that he/she is going to have a wreck. The only question is if it's going to be a bad one or a fender bender. Never drive tired. Never ride in a car with a driver who's been drinking. Just being in your lane isn't enough. It's the oncoming drivers you have to worry about the most. Good luck.

That is all.

Well, he's not our kid, so it won't be on our family policy (or our Costco membership).  And yeah, we've already told him that.  Hell, our 16 yr old rear-ended someone maybe 5 months in to driving (ironically, the kid we're talking about was in the car with him).  Just a love tap, zero damage, but he was scared I was gonna whoop his ass.  I assured him that it happens, he learned a lot about paying attention to the flow of ALL traffic, and that's life.

But anyway, so long as we have collision coverage on him, if he wrecks the car, he can get substitute transportation with the insurance payoff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I don't think we can help with the way you want to do this. First off, our agency standards require at least 100/300/100 liability limits. How is the car going to be titled? To him alone or to both of you?

I suspect that it will need to be titled to him, and him alone.  While we're helping him set this all up and get the car, it is to be his vehicle, and his responsibility.

And DEFINITELY understand if this isn't the kind of low-end coverage you'd write.  If not you, any recs?

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I suspect that it will need to be titled to him, and him alone.  While we're helping him set this all up and get the car, it is to be his vehicle, and his responsibility.

And DEFINITELY understand if this isn't the kind of low-end coverage you'd write.  If not you, any recs?

Not your kid? What's the relationship between you to where you're helping him with this? If the car is titled to him only, he needs his own policy. Whether that's the best option to CYA as well, more questions need to be answered.

Just now, C-Man said:

Not your kid? What's the relationship between you to where you're helping him with this? If the car is titled to him only, he needs his own policy. Whether that's the best option to CYA as well, more questions need to be answered.

My wife is a pastor, we work closely with an Afghan refugee family.  We've helped raise funds (including here on Surly) to get him a car when he gets licensed.  I would expect that the car and policy all need to be in his name -- we're helping, but we're not legal guardians or any other relation.

• Like 2