2020 IndyCar Thread

Anton Chigurh

Doomlet was almost born on Race Day, in which case we may have named him Miles (1,261.734 in one day, assuming full length of all three races...) but he waited a couple hours too long. 

I'm pretty annoyed that in non-pandemic (presumably...) times that Monaco, Indy, and the Coca-Cola 600 won't be on the same day next year. Seems like a real outrage. 

• 2 weeks later...

So when and how can we watch indycar this weekend?  Are they televising or streaming only? And are they showing practices and qualifying, or just the race?  I checked the googles but wasn't really sure what I'm looking for.  Surly knows better than the internet, anyway.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, utee94 said:

So when and how can we watch indycar this weekend?  Are they televising or streaming only? And are they showing practices and qualifying, or just the race?  I checked the googles but wasn't really sure what I'm looking for.  Surly knows better than the internet, anyway.

Looks like practice 1-3pm on NBCSN - Gold (guessing a pay option there)

Qualifying 5-6 on NBCSN (not gold)

• Like 1

Apparently the lap limit was because Firestone didn't have the ability to develop tires in response to the loading from the aeroscreen (coronavirus), so the tires were a mix of rights from last year's event and lefts from Indianapolis.

Scott Dixon might actually be a wizard.

• 3 weeks later...

We're starting to come to terms with the possibility that we won't be heading up to RoadAmerica for the double-header next weekend. We've got a campsite and golf cart and everything, but given the current trends with COVID, I don't know that we will be comfortable taking the needless risk. 

The Doomlet and I could just pee in the woods and only hurriedly use the restrooms to shit, but Mrs. Doom isn't crazy about having to use them (or the Porta Potties) from Thursday through Monday. And we sure as shit wouldn't plan to use the showers. 

We live close enough (NW Chicago suburbs) that I'm still hoping that we can justify heading up both race mornings and just go home each night, and not plan on going anywhere outside of our campsite while we're there. But depending on how much shittier things get in the meantime, even that might not make sense... 

• Like 1

Decent race so far, Dixon seemingly cruising to the end. 14 to go and as usual the only downside is NBC stuff. Giving Rutledge Wood too much screen time, too many Liberty Mutual ads, coming back from the side-by-side commercial coverage with a pass happening only to cut to a shot of the sky so Diffey can read ad copy.

But at least real racing is back on tv.

22 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Decent race so far, Dixon seemingly cruising to the end. 14 to go and as usual the only downside is NBC stuff. Giving Rutledge Wood too much screen time, too many Liberty Mutual ads, coming back from the side-by-side commercial coverage with a pass happening only to cut to a shot of the sky so Diffey can read ad copy.

But at least real racing is back on tv.

The side by side commercials just as cars start to pit etc, can’t tell who is who or what strategy is changing. I’d rather just not see than be clueless as to what is happening. 

Their ability to watch lap after lap of strait racing only to cut to commercial as soon as some action starts to happen was uncanny. 

NBC is fucking terrible with their motorsports coverage. 

A car was on fire for ~20 seconds during the NASCAR race yesterday and they didn't even cut away from commercials for themselves. 

But the "helicopter coverage for ants" was really helpful. 

20200705_191924.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

nbc would be far more watchable if someone were empowered to come back from commercials early and go straight into commentary without a helicopter shot with a sponsor's message at the bottom and lee diffey telling you about what a great job old glory insurance does for its customers.  update us on what just happened and then go back to commercial. 

the tremendous amount of wasted space in side by side mode annoys me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First practice done:

"The six-car team placed James Hinchcliffe and the No. 29 Honda atop the field (224.526mph) and the No. 98 Honda of Marco Andretti in second (224.345mph) as drivers ran in packs for most of the 2.5-hour afternoon session. Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon held third in his no. 9 Honda (224.047mph), Andretti’s Ryan Hunter-Reay – second fastest on the no-tow list for Wednesday – was fourth (223.341mph), and Arrow McLaren SP’s Fernando Alonso took fifth (223.238mph) as the first representative from Team Chevy."

https://racer.com/2020/08/12/hinchcliffe-leads-andretti-dominated-opening-day-at-indy/

andretti pretty dominant so far with the top 3 cars.  only chevy in the fast 9 right now is rinus veekay.

pagenaud's (required) helmet air hose is a drinking straw lol

one of these guys is going to come out with a coffee stirrer

Edited by elfenix

md_960083.jpg

Dear Indianapolis Motor Speedway Fan,

I will miss you on Sunday.

Believe me, there is no one more than me who wanted fans to be able to watch the 104th Running of the Indy 500 in person.

It is disappointing to run the event without all of you here, but I know our drivers are determined and ready to put on a world-class show for everyone watching at home.

Especially now, during these difficult times, gathering with friends and loved ones for cherished traditions means so much. Hundreds of thousands of fans return to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway every year, savoring the final note of “Back Home Again in Indiana” and cheering for some of the world’s greatest drivers. The roar of the crowd goes with the roar of the engines. I wanted you here.

For Indianapolis and Indiana, in general, the Indy 500 means so much. This is especially true for our Race Day staff and local businesses in Indianapolis, who count on the Month of May to boost their income and take care of their families.

But given the rising number of COVID-19 cases in Marion County, running the race without fans was the right decision.

My family and I purchased the Speedway and INDYCAR for the long-term. As much as I wanted to open our gates, even at 25 percent capacity, protecting our fans and "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" for the long term is more important.

When fans return in 2021, you will see many of the improvements we’ve made, including more than 30 new LED video boards, 5G connectivity and refreshed concession stands and restrooms. The winning driver and car are now lifted atop Victory Podium, allowing more fans to see the iconic post-race celebration. More improvements, all focused on our fans, are on the way.

When I was 14 years old, my father took me to the Speedway to watch the race. It was 1951, and Lee Wallard won it. I was able to put on a helmet and sit in a race car. I’ll never forget that experience. That special day shaped the rest of my life and made me who I am. It’s why I care so much about the Speedway and INDYCAR racing. It’s why the fan experience will always be my top priority.

Thank you for understanding, and I look forward to seeing you next May.

And drivers – start your engines.

Roger Penske

I'm getting pumped for the 500, even with no fans.

In the final practice Hondas dominated the top 10 with the exception of the McLaren cars. 

Alonso has been generally stuck in the 10-20 range most practices.

It's not exactly a risky pick, but my prediction is Dixon wins it.

4 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

I'm getting pumped for the 500, even with no fans.

In the final practice Hondas dominated the top 10 with the exception of the McLaren cars. 

Alonso has been generally stuck in the 10-20 range most practices.

It's not exactly a risky pick, but my prediction is Dixon wins it.

He has, but he still sounds very upbeat ...

But asked by NBC post-practice if the car was good enough to get to the front, he responded with an unequivocal, "Yes."

He said: "You always learn things. We had a couple of test items to analyse in today's practice.
"At least two were positive, one of them was negative so I think we made another step forward with car balance and confidence in the car, so we're quite happy with the results.
"And next time in the car is the big one."

"It's going to be a challenge for everyone.
"I think this year's car is a challenge in terms of traffic, following, and setting up the car.
"It's going to be hotter on Sunday as well.
"There are many factors that will make the car and the race difficult for everyone so we just need to rely on strategy, on luck, on pure pace, chasing the balance in the pitstops, and to make the car fast for the final part of the race.
"We're starting at the back so it's even more challenging - but we love these kind of things."

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/151573/alonso-positive-he-can-fight-for-lead-at-indy-500

“It was the last opportunity to test the last few items we had on our list. Some of them were OK, and some of them we will not be keeping for the race.
"Now we have a more or less clear idea of what we want.
"Sunday is a completely different thing, and it’s supposed to be a bit hotter, so we will try to adapt to the conditions. There’s nothing more to test on the table, so it’s race time.”

"It’s difficult to judge from the outside, how different engine power outputs really are.
"It seems that on Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday’s practice, there’s a mix of cars [at the front] and there’s not a big difference in race pace, and the last two years Chevy won.
"I think we should be okay. There are no concerns."
Explaining the lack of pace in qualifying, the Spaniard said: "This year, [drivers could run] higher boost for qualifying, maybe there were a few things missing, but it’s difficult to know from the outside."
Possibly reflecting his comments, Alonso's Arrow McLaren SP team-mate Pato O'Ward set the fastest time in final practice.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/55893/alonso-confident-of-mounting-a-challenge-in-the-indy-500-despite-poor-qualifying/