2020 IndyCar Thread

Anton Chigurh

Pigot's crash reminded me of this one. This was the first Indy that I attended and I had a ringside seat to this one. Cogan slid down pit row and came to rest within 100' of where we were sitting behind the pit area.

I chuckled when Paul Page gushed about the safety of the cars. He was right, of course , they were miles ahead of where they had been but they have come so much farther since then.

You're kidding right? That was in no way a restrictor plate race.

The field spread out within 2 laps of a restart. The lead swapped a lot between Dixon and Rossi and then again between Dixon and Sato.

There were multiple big movers. Farucci went from 19 to 4. Castroneves went 28 to 11. Jack Harvey went 20 to 9.

And 8 different teams filled the top 10.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 4:43 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

The NBC production crew is doing a better job than usual today. 

Lots of helpful and timely information presented in contrast to their usual "effort."

And they were back to shit again today. 

I swear, whoever is in charge of their motorsports coverage has a true contempt for the viewers. 

• 3 weeks later...

IndyCar heading for a schedule shake-up in 2021  
COTA likely off the schedule...

https://racer.com/2020/09/29/indycar-heading-for-a-schedule-shake-up-in-2021/

Another track missing from 2021 will likely be COTA, which is going to host a NASCAR race next spring, but may also be up for sale and not financially willing or able to keep IndyCar.

Honda and Chevy about to re-up with Indy:

https://racer.com/2020/10/02/indycar-set-for-next-gen-engine-announcement/

I thought I knew that honda's Indy effort was run completely separately from F1. Interesting that Chevy (read:penske) wanted to split the new engine size from the hybrid unit, seems like a waste of money, though I guess might be good for the Chevy (read:penske) team. At least until Roger bought the whole thing and now he has to worry about becoming a truly 1 make series.

That indycar schedule blows goats. Texas twice, no CoTA, run out of Richmond by Nascar, Indy 3x including the awful road course twice. I'm farily certain Roger has a big stake in Nascar so getting pushed out at Richmond is surprising. We're almost back to the end of the cart days when it was all grand prix races and no speedways.

Honda and Chevy about to re-up with Indy:

https://racer.com/2020/10/02/indycar-set-for-next-gen-engine-announcement/

I thought I knew that honda's Indy effort was run completely separately from F1. Interesting that Chevy (read:penske) wanted to split the new engine size from the hybrid unit, seems like a waste of money, though I guess might be good for the Chevy (read:penske) team. At least until Roger bought the whole thing and now he has to worry about becoming a truly 1 make series.

That indycar schedule blows goats. Texas twice, no CoTA, run out of Richmond by Nascar, Indy 3x including the awful road course twice. I'm farily certain Roger has a big stake in Nascar so getting pushed out at Richmond is surprising. We're almost back to the end of the cart days when it was all grand prix races and no speedways.

Yep, they’re under HPD which is HQ in California and under Honda USA.

I wonder if they still report to Sakura somewhere up the ladder, though.

I’m not an oval fan so I don’t mind fewer races on them, but I get that others like them.

But yeah, overall, the schedule is not very inspiring.

Went to the race on Saturday.  Really meh.  But it was so fucking nice to be back at IMS and in the stands with other people.  Had me a big ol' pork tenderloin with the cooler full of beer I carried in (still one of my favorite sports traditions, being able to bring coolers in).  I strongly dislike W Power, so perhaps that's why I disliked the race.  Also was hoping Dixie could close out the championship but Josef climbed too many spots and Dixon couldn't quite catch up enough.  

I also went to the Iowa race and took my 10yo for his first in-person race.  He loved it.  We had our radios and he brought some binoculars.  That's an awesome track there in Iowa just outside of Des Moines.  Next year we may camp there.  One cool part is that my buddy is one of the radio broadcasters for the series and during the race gave a shoutout to my son - who lost his mind when he heard that called out over the radio - "And here today cheering on Indy native conor daly are a couple friends of mine from indy, shout out to little BGS jr who's here watching his first race with his dad."  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...