FBI vs. NCAA Coaches

GabrielsHorn

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Shouldn't that be enough? This shit is so corrupted. Right after you say that Kansas is guilty you go right to the inept NCAA's missteps.

Duke did its own "investigation" of Zion's payment. Kansas did a great job covering themselves on the court. UNC got away with fake classes.

"Thank God we are dirty, but not as dirty as Bruce Pearl and Sean Miller, another banner for one more Big 12 Conference title please!"

It's all a fucking joke. 

It is 100% fucked.  The basketball model has to change at the collegiate level.  I think we all agree on that.  When do you change it?  Say they hammer us (they did go all the way back to 1957 to say we have a systemic problem), we lose the coach, we lost some roster spots, we miss 2 post seasons.  That is going to cripple the school and for what?  For a model that is going to change in 2021 with a new NBA CBA?  Then all of the sudden the "everybody cheats" excuse is going to be "everything we used to do is now within the rules."  Then you killed a blue blood for no reason at all.

Further, there is a very big difference between "we did something" and "you can pin it on us".  Ray Lewis killed a fucking guy and they couldn't pin it on him.  Based on the rumored evidence the NCAA has there is no chance in hell they can pin us to the allegations they made.  The key word is "Allegations".  There is still a ton to play out.  When the dust started to settle at Louisville, even Pitino had a good enough case to go after UL for being fired.  They settled, but it wasn't a clear cut "for cause" firing like everyone thought it would be.

I won't use "everyone does it" as an excuse, but there is definitely going to be some aspects of that mindset in the consequences for us.  Apparently, KU has evidence that the NCAA doesn't utilize equal enforcement and we are willing to let that see the light of day which is a threat to the entire system.  It isn't just KU paying players, and by the rules any player who is even solicited money is ineligible.  Think of all of the players in the last 5 years that we might have even made an offer to.  All of those guys could be retroactively ineligible and banners at Villanova could be coming down for busting us.

It is a very rocky time for all of CBB right now.  It'll be interesting to see this play out.

52 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I’d say good riddance. I don’t think The University of Texas needs to cheat to win. And if we do...well, then I don’t think we need to win anymore. I’d rather sacrifice athletics for the reputation of the institution than the other way around. 

You realize that UT was implicated in the evidence provided by the FBI right?  If even one UT player took money then UT is a "Cheater" regardless of who paid the money.

23 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

You realize that UT was implicated in the evidence provided by the FBI right?  If even one UT player took money then UT is a "Cheater" regardless of who paid the money.

I do. Not sure what your point is. I’d vote for anyone implicated in that to be gone. Just like the tennis coach.

25 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Have you written a letter to CDC demanding UT self-report and self-sanction? If not then you probably shouldn’t preach about how you’re above shit like this. 

That’s not what I said, at all. And now I see why you have no problem sacrificing your “school” to the basketball gods, because you're subliterate, though that’s probably the best and brightest Kansas has to offer.

You whined, “What do you want me to say???” and I responded with what I would say in your hypothetical: a national championship isn’t enough to make me turn my back on Herman’s misdeeds. I-me personally, my opinion-would want him gone.

I never claimed that Texas is “above this”-no school is, with the potential for rogue actors among boosters, students, coaches. That’s why I referenced the tennis coach as an example. Obviously that wasn’t university sanctioned. And they fired him.

I would hope that if University employees were linked to something like this at Texas, they’d be fired. Period. You equating the mention of Texas by the FBI to what’s been found at Kansas is as disingenuous as calling Beatty a “cheater” for his minor violation that no one would think twice about if it weren’t for the cesspool Bill Self is mired in. I’d be embarrassed if Texas was circling the wagons like Kansas-you are allowed to take a different personal opinion from the administration, but I’m sure they didn’t inculcate the capacity for that sort of independent thought there, so I can see why my statement would confuse you-but you have to have a conscience for that, and trying to claim some sort of bizarro moral high ground and interpret a baseline standard “Gee, I’d rather my school have some integrity than pursue wins at all costs” as “preaching” indicates yours is malformed at best.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

I’d say good riddance. I don’t think The University of Texas needs to cheat to win. And if we do...well, then I don’t think we need to win anymore. I’d rather sacrifice athletics for the reputation of the institution than the other way around. 

Nothing more needs to be said.

The stance is clear, banners > everything else. 

Now, if Jhawk ever comes back and tries to claim any sort of moral highground with regards to recruiting, just bring up this post/thread.

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 1

What, wasn't there some of the other kids, what'd we give 'em? What? Cars? Tractors? Gave a kid a TRACTOR? Another kid we gave a HOUSE. Didn't we give him a house? You know, BAGS OF CASH, I don't know what we gave these kids...You know, they asked for things, we gave it to 'em. I mean, you guys asked me to win, and I gave that to you! Right? And the Alumni are all jerking off over this win, which is the only time the Alumni ever jerk off, right? It's when we win. 'Cause this ain't about education! It ain't much about winning, and it sure as hell ain't much about basketball! It's about MONEY! JUST GODDAMNED MONEY! That's what it's about, Ed. And I bought into it. I bought into it big time. I'm a big part of the problem.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I'm confident we'll have a response, but my confidence in Jeff Long is wavering.  He seems to be the kind of guy who says "let's work with the NCAA to get this done and just move forward" when we have seen that if you work with the NCAA at all you get smoked and when you stonewall them you delay things for years and then they are dropped.

It'll be interesting to see what route we take.  I can tell you right now that I don't see any chance in hell that Bill Self is going down without a massive fight and that's with the backing of Long or without it.  Long will be gone FAR before Self will be, especially if the fans have anything to say about it.

Jeff Long actually benefits personally the longer the probation.

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Nothing more needs to be said.

The stance is clear, banners > everything else. 

Now, if Jhawk ever comes back and tries to claim any sort of moral highground with regards to recruiting, just bring up this post/thread.

I’ve never claimed moral high ground. I’ve been around shaggy/surly long enough to know that UT is the only school in the country that can claim moral high ground. 

KU is just a school that got popped. The shitty thing for the ncaa is very little of the evidence is directly implicating of KU. It’s a tough position to defend and the NCAA doesn’t get to be represented in an appeal scenario. That’s where KU is going to get out of this if we do. I fully expect a penalty from the outset. It’ll be the appeal that saves us. 

Espn has an article about the long term consequences of adidas being named a booster. Essentially, because the apparel companies run the high school basketball farm system if you start to say Nike is a UT booster then any kid who played for a nike AAU team has taken benefits.. thinking being that if they played nike in high school and end up at a nike school then they should be ineligible. 

Which is basically what one of my earlier posts was about. The implications of some of the assumptions made by the NCAA are far beyond what the ncaa is willing to defend long term. Couple that with KU staunchly defending its position and the lack of directly implicating evidence and the NCAA’s position is tough to defend. Especially if it goes to court where the ncaa isn’t the prosecutor, judge, jury, and executioner. 

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I’ve never claimed moral high ground. I’ve been around shaggy/surly long enough to know that UT is the only school in the country that can claim moral high ground. 

KU is just a school that got popped. The shitty thing for the ncaa is very little of the evidence is directly implicating of KU. It’s a tough position to defend and the NCAA doesn’t get to be represented in an appeal scenario. That’s where KU is going to get out of this if we do. I fully expect a penalty from the outset. It’ll be the appeal that saves us. 

Espn has an article about the long term consequences of adidas being named a booster. Essentially, because the apparel companies run the high school basketball farm system if you start to say Nike is a UT booster then any kid who played for a nike AAU team has taken benefits.. thinking being that if they played nike in high school and end up at a nike school then they should be ineligible. 

Which is basically what one of my earlier posts was about. The implications of some of the assumptions made by the NCAA are far beyond what the ncaa is willing to defend long term. Couple that with KU staunchly defending its position and the lack of directly implicating evidence and the NCAA’s position is tough to defend. Especially if it goes to court where the ncaa isn’t the prosecutor, judge, jury, and executioner. 

Sensitive-Posters.jpg

On 2/14/2019 at 11:44 AM, Beau Vine said:

Been wondering about this... If a fan of Kansas basketball gives a player money and gets busted, KU gets penalized and that booster gets disassociated.  Yet if Adidas is paying KU players, is the NCAA going to force KU to disassociate with Adidas?  Because how is that any different?

Bump.

18 hours ago, formermav43 said:

That’s not what I said, at all. And now I see why you have no problem sacrificing your “school” to the basketball gods, because you're subliterate, though that’s probably the best and brightest Kansas has to offer.

You whined, “What do you want me to say???” and I responded with what I would say in your hypothetical: a national championship isn’t enough to make me turn my back on Herman’s misdeeds. I-me personally, my opinion-would want him gone.

I never claimed that Texas is “above this”-no school is, with the potential for rogue actors among boosters, students, coaches. That’s why I referenced the tennis coach as an example. Obviously that wasn’t university sanctioned. And they fired him.

I would hope that if University employees were linked to something like this at Texas, they’d be fired. Period. You equating the mention of Texas by the FBI to what’s been found at Kansas is as disingenuous as calling Beatty a “cheater” for his minor violation that no one would think twice about if it weren’t for the cesspool Bill Self is mired in. I’d be embarrassed if Texas was circling the wagons like Kansas-you are allowed to take a different personal opinion from the administration, but I’m sure they didn’t inculcate the capacity for that sort of independent thought there, so I can see why my statement would confuse you-but you have to have a conscience for that, and trying to claim some sort of bizarro moral high ground and interpret a baseline standard “Gee, I’d rather my school have some integrity than pursue wins at all costs” as “preaching” indicates yours is malformed at best.

I mean, it depends entirely on how you view college sports.  Do you have a romantic view of amateur athletics or do you see it as a $15B industry?  At the major college level, the notion of a student-athlete as been somewhere between bastardized and dead for decades.  The schools being served NOAs over this FBI case are the cars getting pulled over on a highway where everybody is speeding.  It sucks, and "keeping up with traffic" isn't a legal defense, but it's also not a reason to tear down the athletic department before fighting the ticket.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Bump.

That’s another completely indefensible position. Is the ncaa going to compel Ku to void a $200M contract? They’ll have to do that to every apparel contract or face antitrust litigation. 

Further, the apparel companies sponsoring the amateur circuit in high school sports means everyone who plays AAU ball has taken benefits if adidas is a booster. Even the kid that never gets recruited by a D1 school is ineligible. 

The NCAA is doing exactly what the NCAA does. Postures like it is going to change the system via punishment, not via infrastructure changes. That is exactly how they have kept this game going for the last 30 years when college athletics really took off from a revenue standpoint. If they change the infrastructure they don’t get to have things the way they are. 

Good god. I never post over here or do much reading cause of the derka curse but Jesus you Kansas fucks sure come off very aggy with your “everybody else does it” shit. 

Facts ( that luckily NCAA is not a court of law) is you scums cheat like crazy. 

Deal with it. 

• Like 4

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:01 AM, VolenteHawk said:

I mean, it depends entirely on how you view college sports.  Do you have a romantic view of amateur athletics or do you see it as a $15B industry?  At the major college level, the notion of a student-athlete as been somewhere between bastardized and dead for decades.  The schools being served NOAs over this FBI case are the cars getting pulled over on a highway where everybody is speeding.  It sucks, and "keeping up with traffic" isn't a legal defense, but it's also not a reason to tear down the athletic department before fighting the ticket.

The history of the NCAA and the crafting of the amateur/student-athlete legal position is an interesting one. The NCAA IS the member institutions after all. It's a tangled mess.

I was trying to think of a way to continue with your traffic analogy but couldn't. It's kind of like that but not really because who are the cops in that scenario and we all know that the cars that are speeding the most over the speed limit are the ones making the most profit as a result. Big mess.

56 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

The history of the NCAA and the crafting of the amateur/student-athlete legal position is an interesting one. The NCAA IS the member institutions after all. It's a tangled mess.

I was trying to think of a way to continue with your traffic analogy but couldn't. It's kind of like that but not really because who are the cops in that scenario and we all know that the cars that are speeding the most over the speed limit are the ones making the most profit as a result. Big mess.

I'm confused with the analogy as well. What you two are saying is that everybody cheats but it is just cheating and nobody is getting hurt. Kind of like cheating on an exam. And the NCAA is barely policing anything so the biggest cheaters profit the most. So the biggest cheaters are able to go to grad school and have illustrious careers while the honest students are not. Volentehawk is morally okay with cheating and is upset because his team is getting punished while others still cheat. So he is fighting the teachers who selectively punished him while letting all the other cheaters screw over the honest students. Volentehawk says there are no honest students so no one is getting harmed and the whole concept of honest students is a sham. Does he go so far to say that since there are no honest students, and the policing sucks, that there should not be any policing? Teachers should just teach and not worry about administering the exams?

Edited by Bevo

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I'm confused with the analogy as well. What you two are saying is that everybody cheats but it is just cheating and nobody is getting hurt. Kind of like cheating on an exam. And the NCAA is barely policing anything so the biggest cheaters profit the most. So the biggest cheaters are able to go to grad school and have illustrious careers while the honest students are not. Volentehawk is morally okay with cheating and is upset because his team is getting punished while others still cheat. So he is fighting the teachers who selectively punished him while letting all the other cheaters screw over the honest students. Volentehawk says there are no honest students so no one is getting harmed and the whole concept of honest students is a sham. Does he go so far to say that since there are no honest students, and the policing sucks, that there should not be any policing? Teachers should just teach and not worry about administering the exams?

Systemic corruption in a 3rd world country is probably a better analogy. Anyone who actually tries to fight the system gets murdered and every now and then a politician gets thrown under the bus to appease the masses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fuck self-reporting= lighter sentencing.

People aren't concerned about getting caught, or it wouldn't be so prevalent.

Impose serious financial sanctions and hammer those administering( and coaching) the programs doing it.

Then it'll stop.   but that's not what we want.

Maybe they’re so mad at Kansas that they are punishing GTech?

the only thing about GTech that scares me is the Jarrett jack penalty. $300 and he gets a 3 year ban? Self didn’t directly pay anyone but the ncaa is trying to pin it all on him. If they are successful then his ban will be lifetime if you scale $300 up to $92,500. 

As I’ve mentioned before “everyone does it” isn’t an excuse, but imagine this...

the recruit that received benefits and was the reason GTech is getting assfucked is Wendell carter. The same Wendell carter that played for duke. If you fuck up the school that made the kid ineligible wouldn’t a sound mind also argue that the school who actually played the ineligible player should be punished via vacating games he appeared in?

arguments like that are how the ncaa is going to be broken. Some are speculating that the zion texts from Townsend are going to get us. Wouldn’t those texts mean the ncaa has to go after duke as well? 

I was told by a contact of a contact that Self has a lot of evidence that he is willing to bring forth that puts a massive stain on a lot of programs should he look like he is going to be the one the ncaa comes down on. Sounds like he is ready to burn it down. 

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

the only thing about GTech that scares me is the Jarrett jack penalty. $300 and he gets a 3 year ban? Self didn’t directly pay anyone but the ncaa is trying to pin it all on him. If they are successful then his ban will be lifetime if you scale $300 up to $92,500. 

Auburn didn't pay Cam either.

What do you want me to say? If Herman won you a championship and then was going to be brought down by two players and a shoe rep what would you say? Especially if the issue would turn you into a middling team for 10 years? I’d rather become the evil team than become smu. Just the way it is. 

I had to read this several times to make sure I read it correctly. So basically you are admitting that you completely lack morals and integrity and are ok with that. Thank you for your honesty? ‘Merica today ladies and gentlemen.
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I had to read this several times to make sure I read it correctly. So basically you are admitting that you completely lack morals and integrity and are ok with that. Thank you for your honesty? ‘Merica today ladies and gentlemen.

Save the moral outrage. Everyone knows what the game is and how the game is played in college sports. I even had an assistant coach at Nevada tell me this was going on 7 years ago on a drunken flight from San Francisco to Las Vegas. He was proud of the guys he beat other schools out to get.  He said it was only a matter of time until it all came crashing down. Kansas just happens to be one of the first to fall. 

I’m not ok with it but I’m not a naive asshole either. At the end of the day we all might get our wish of a change in the college athletics model out of this. The ncaa suspending their investigations might be directly tied to the response of “fuck you” that Ku released.  They’re in for a fight and they appear to want to fight that battle one opponent at a time rather than against 6 P5 schools at once. The feigned outrage that the ncaa (and a lot of lollipop fans) have used isn’t going to cut it with this fight. And the college athlete might be the beneficiary of this situation. 

Edited by Jhawk

According to the NY Times, @Jhawk 's, "everybody's doing it" defense won't hold much water with the NCAA:

"But an argument that Kansas might have been unfairly singled out won’t hold much sway in a hearing.

Gene Marsh, a former top regulator for college sports, chuckled when he saw how Kansas Coach Bill Self punched back at N.C.A.A. accusations that he was complicit in Adidas’s improper funneling of more than $100,000 to three basketball recruits. Self derided the N.C.A.A.’s 20-page report as a false narrative “based on innuendo, half-truths, misimpressions and mischaracterizations.”

Marsh’s advice: Don’t tell that to the judge.

“That is a visceral argument and plays to the Bubbas in the crowd,” Marsh said. “Schools that end up on the wrong side of the gun frequently say, ‘Oh my gosh, we’re being singled out.’”

Marsh heard that argument often in his nine years (including two as chairman) on the N.C.A.A. committee on infractions. That body will hear the case against Kansas, which will surely be joined by other universities as the N.C.A.A. enforcement staff continues to comb through remnants of the F.B.I.’s investigation into college basketball corruption."

I never had an ounce of respect for Kansas or their athletic dept to begin with (nor should anyone that has spent time around their fanbase) but if I did this juxtaposed with Beatty would be the tipping point.  I mean, the fact that are trying to screw Beatty from his buyout on the most minor violations imaginable (and as noted above, a report came out the same violations are happening under Miles) while simultaneously defending the blatant massive cheating under Self is fucking rich.   Fuck Kansas.  It would probably happen regardless, but hopefully they get dinged enough by the NCAA that they are untouchable and left out in the next round of realignment.   And if Miles makes them semi-respectable in football I hope he bolts for the next semi-respectful job opening.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

According to the NY Times, @Jhawk 's, "everybody's doing it" defense won't hold much water with the NCAA:

"But an argument that Kansas might have been unfairly singled out won’t hold much sway in a hearing.

Gene Marsh, a former top regulator for college sports, chuckled when he saw how Kansas Coach Bill Self punched back at N.C.A.A. accusations that he was complicit in Adidas’s improper funneling of more than $100,000 to three basketball recruits. Self derided the N.C.A.A.’s 20-page report as a false narrative “based on innuendo, half-truths, misimpressions and mischaracterizations.”

Marsh’s advice: Don’t tell that to the judge.

“That is a visceral argument and plays to the Bubbas in the crowd,” Marsh said. “Schools that end up on the wrong side of the gun frequently say, ‘Oh my gosh, we’re being singled out.’”

Marsh heard that argument often in his nine years (including two as chairman) on the N.C.A.A. committee on infractions. That body will hear the case against Kansas, which will surely be joined by other universities as the N.C.A.A. enforcement staff continues to comb through remnants of the F.B.I.’s investigation into college basketball corruption."

You gotta work on your reading man. I have specifically said at least twice on this thread that “everyone is doing it” is not an excuse. I don’t expect it to fly with the ncaa at all. That being said, if this goes to federal court then the ncaa might have antitrust issues if they are found to not punish schools equally for the same penalties and not investigate schools equally. That’s for a lawyer to know. 

I don’t think anything is going to save KU from the ncaa. Our only chance is in appeals (not ruled by the ncaa) or in real court where the ncaa doesn’t have any power. 

• Like 1

Georgia Tech, GT, or just Tech. Please no GTech. That’s not a thing.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

KU breaks the rules but let's not pretend there's any moral argument against allowing college athletes to profit from their skillset. I'm not going to pretend to believe that a former player giving a current player a few c-notes or a pair of shoes is some hellworthy trespass either.

That's a big issue I have with the NCAA.  They'll hammer an individual player for "illicit behavior" and end their career.  We don't see shit done to major programs, because , "oooh SMU was so fucking scary.  We have no intestinal fortitude...so let's take away a scholly for 3 years."
"

5 hours ago, Jhawk said:

You gotta work on your reading man. I have specifically said at least twice on this thread that “everyone is doing it” is not an excuse. I don’t expect it to fly with the ncaa at all. That being said, if this goes to federal court then the ncaa might have antitrust issues if they are found to not punish schools equally for the same penalties and not investigate schools equally. That’s for a lawyer to know. 

I don’t think anything is going to save KU from the ncaa. Our only chance is in appeals (not ruled by the ncaa) or in real court where the ncaa doesn’t have any power. 

That may be true, but you've posted so much on this subject, it's impossible to keep track of everything that you have written. Regardless, I apologize. 

And as a proud parent of a current Duke student, I must admit that I am enjoying the current troubles that Mr. Self is experiencing. Send Naismith's 13 original rules to their rightful home at Duke's Basketball Museum and Sports Hall of Fame and Coach K can make this all go away. #dukefamily

As far as cheating goes in college athletics, it's been going on since the 19th century when non-student ringers were routinely snuck onto college football teams. We go through this "spiritual cleansing" every decade and then everything is happily back to normal.