Otis! My man!

Bama Llama

Sixties Soul Axiom -

Hearing, playing, singing or feelingTry a Little Tenderness makes you a better person, ipse dixit, world without end, amen.  

Four tempo changes steadily building to the GOT-Ta-GOT-Ta climax, trumpet, sax, Al Jackson on drums, Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, Booker T, and the great Pinetopper himself.  The version from Monterey Pop is an all-time high water mark of soul music.

You know she is waiting

just

anticipating

Edited by Bama Llama
Miss spelt youth
  • Like 1

I can distinctly remember hearing the Beatles on a radio in an apt our family lived before I was in kindergarten, but it wasn't until I heard Otis' Sitting On The Dock that I fell in love with a song.

It was absolutely my first memory of having a favorite song.  It's still on my playlist for last songs I'd want too hear before I die.

3. As amazing of a performer as Otis Redding was, he was terribly intimidated by the explosive stage work of Sam and Dave. After a tour in which he had to follow the duo night after night, he reportedly told his manager Phil Walden, “Don’t you ever put me with them motherfuckers again.”

http://psychobabble200.blogspot.com/2011/09/20-things-you-may-not-have-known-about_09.html

On 2/9/2020 at 8:57 AM, jimmyjazz said:

"Dock of the Bay" was basically a songwriting demo, but Otis died before he could record it again for release.  Steve Cropper just mixed what he had.

That's one helluva "demo".

I know we use the word underrated to describe people's abilities, but Steve Cropper is such a goddamn giant in the industry. I know he's up there on Rushmore for me. Preaching to the choir, I'm sure. 

• Like 1