San Marcos Recs

billfromlaketravis

7 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

The taco drive through place by the car wash for breakfast, Lolitas I think is the name.

Gill’s Fried Chicken

Alvin Ords - Sandwiches

Over the last 5 years it’s really become nothing but chain restaurants.

This is what I was afraid of, but expected. 

Let's expand the recs to New Braunfels/Buda/Kyle/Far south Austin. 

1 hour ago, After irth said:

Is Palmer’s worthwhile?  Taking an old friend to dinner there next week. 

Palmers is alright

new Cajun spot: OMG Seafood is a hole in the wall but puts out some damn good food. BYOB with a Twins next door.

Cody’s. Nicer place, great bar.

Sean P’s, Aquabrew and Industry around the square. Taproom is excellent bar food. Twin Peaks just opened

Hays Co. BBQ and Garcia's should make the list.  I was going to say Valentino's but i just learned they closed permanently after 40 years.  

If you end up in New Braunfels i never not stop at Naegelin's Bakery.  

Edited by RollLeft

Mi Ranchito in Manchaca is great. They have really good tortas and tamales. Texas Keeper Cidery is also in Manchaca. Fantastic dry cider and really beautiful grounds, especially in the spring time. There's a Taco Palenque in New Braunfels. It's nice to get a pirata on your way up to Austin. The Root Cellar Cafe in San Marcos is pretty decent too. 

Was pretty impressed with Aquabrew last time I was in town. Never thought I'd see a legit brewery/restaurant right off the square, especially one that clearly had some serious $$$ pumped into it. A place like that would have never got off the ground back before SM hit its growth spurt of the past decade and was just a town filled with college kids and lower-income locals.

I spent 02-07 there and other than a few long-running local institutions, it was mostly just cheap hole in the wall joints and college bars. Every time I go back (usually 1 weekend a year), there's something fresh and new and some old bar or restaurant I used to go has been torn down or converted. 

Edited by Storm the Field

6 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Was pretty impressed with Aquabrew last time I was in town. Never thought I'd see a legit brewery/restaurant right off the square, especially one that clearly had some serious $$$ pumped into it. A place like that would have never got off the ground back before SM hit its growth spurt of the past decade and was just a town filled with college kids and lower-income locals.

I spent 02-07 there and other than a few long-running local institutions, it was mostly just cheap hole in the wall joints and college bars. Every time I go back (usually 1 weekend a year), there's something fresh and new and some old bar or restaurant I used to go has been torn down or converted. 

Old Austin thread? Just kidding. 

I attribute much of San Marco’s growth to the outlet malls. Does that sound accurate to everybody? 

45 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I attribute much of San Marco’s growth to the outlet malls. Does that sound accurate to everybody? 

Not sure if serious but absolutely not. It’s becoming another suburb of Austin. Affordability in Austin is driving the growth. Also Texas State’s enrollment has grown by over 1000 students over the last decade.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I always have just assumed it's been part of the entire region's massive growth over the past 10 years combined with housing cost inflation in the big cities on I-35. 

Population numbers for 2010 vs 2018 (latest year available) for what I consider to constitute the "suburbs" between San Antonio and Austin.

San Marcos: 45K/64K.

New Braunfels: 57K/85K

Kyle: 28K/46K

Buda: 7K/16.5K

While Texas State is still the sine qua non in San Marcos, with all the outgrowth from Austin, for the first time you're really seeing people move there to live, not just attend or work for the university. That's why there are finally restaurants and bars that cater to middle-income adults vs. just what broke college kids can afford. 

The biggest problem bars used to have in SM was that they had to close at midnight or 1am on Saturday. I worked at Cafe on the Square when they had a brew pub. It was operated by two old burned out hippies that drank about half of what they brewed and called it quality control. One of them looked like Jesus and the other like Jerry Garcia. They did make some decent beer though.
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2020 at 11:39 AM, Storm the Field said:

Had some brews there last night. They have a good food menu and the beers are tasty.

On 2/12/2020 at 11:48 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

No it is the school enrollment has skyrocketed to 39,000 and growth along the 35 corridor

On 2/12/2020 at 12:12 PM, Underdog said:

Jr loved Valentino's but the wife and I thought it was terrible.  

Valentino’s was average at best

the best pie for miles is at Pie Society. Their “78666” is awesome 

Black’s BBQ was alright. Brisket was better than Rudy’s. Ribs were worse. Beef and jalapeño beef sausage were much better than Rudy’s and stole the show. 

Thai Thai wasn’t very good and it was expensive for a hole in the wall Thai place. 

Alvin Ord’s and San Marcos BBQ are on the menu this weekend. 

On 2/15/2020 at 8:58 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Thus far: 

Mana’s was great for the price.

Gumby’s remains really good. 

Grin’s remains a better version of Pat’s Place.

Italian Garden is better than scores of Italian restaurants in Houston and it’s about half the price. An oh yeah, it’s BYOB. 

Alvin Ord’a tomorrow. 

Italian Garden is great, it is so cheap and BYOB, we always bring beer and wine and get out of there for under $30 including tip

On 2/16/2020 at 12:13 AM, After irth said:

Had a lovely dinner date at Cody’s tonight. Every single member of their staff was sweet as hell. Cute, too  

No joke. No punchline. Just a nice place for a quiet dinner. 

Cody's is good. Cody is a good dude. Often has some high end bourbons behind the bar.... he will hook me up with WLW, OFBB, Pappy from time to time

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Black’s BBQ was alright. Brisket was better than Rudy’s. Ribs were worse. Beef and jalapeño beef sausage were much better than Rudy’s and stole the show. 

Thai Thai wasn’t very good and it was expensive for a hole in the wall Thai place. 

Alvin Ord’s and San Marcos BBQ are on the menu this weekend. 

Hays Co BBQ. Skip SMBBQ

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

Alvin Ord's used to be the best sandwich shop I had ever been to, but I haven't eaten there in over 20 years. 

Alvin Ord's is still a damn fine sandwich

• Like 1

• 3 years later...