Israel off the beaten path?

Tonesky

We are in the beginning stages of planning a family trip to Israel - two families with 3 kids in the 13-14 range.  We are well versed in the standard [Jewish] itinerary - Kotel, Masada, Dead Sea, etc. - of which we will do plenty.  Looking for suggestions of some things off the beaten path, and things that the kids will enjoy and remember.  The trip will be winter break, so things like rafting on the Jordan River and spending an afternoon at Sachne (Barton Springs of Israel) are probably not options.

One of my favorite trips of all time.

We enjoyed a few days in the northern part of the country.  Hit Ceasare (highly recommend), stopped at a kibbutz near Meggido for lunch and a tour.  My wife found a boutiquey spa like place in the forested, kind of mountainous area north of Galilee.   They had horse ride tours and other outings to entertain the whole family.   Been awhile, can't recall the name, but I'm sure some Googling would render results.

The history of the country is astounding.  I looked over the valley near Meggido for awhile, wondering how those whacky early Christians thought that would be a nice place for an Armageddon.  Haifa gardens were cool, but not much else to see there.  Didn't get to Acre, but if I ever go back that's on the list, see some Templar stuff.  

Agree with Ceasare.  Mountains around Sea of Galilee are a must see, very cool.  The town of Tiberius, on the Sea of Galilee, was interesting.  I found the Golan Heights to be fascinating.

Something that has my attention right now is volunteering on an archaeological dig.  That's on the list of things I want to do but will probably never get around to... 😞

Eilat, down on the Southern Coast. Beautiful scenery and world class scuba. You can be in Egypt in 15 minutes or in Jordan in 15 minutes. You can even cross the border and hit Wadi Rum which is one of my favorite places. Tel Aviv is an awesome city. It's not off the beaten path but you can blend in and spend time on the beaches and criuse the town. Haifa is a cool city on the water as well. 

Agree on a lot of what others have said.  At Caesare  you can snorkel to the ruins.  I'll second the Golan Heights, Eilat, Petra, and Wadi Rum.

Korazim was pretty cool.  It is ruins by Galilee, and they let you participate in the archeological digs.

If you're into outdoors stuff, Ein Gedi 

Do not refer to the Arab occupied territory as such when speaking to a Palestinian. Lesson learned.

When I was there in the early 80's I was visiting in Uncle Sam's service and did a lot of the things sailors do. Was surprised to find whores but not sure if that's a family thing to do or not.

Have fun, it's a great experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...