Prairie dog hunting

markstanco

We used to do it a bunch when I was younger. You need a few different places to hunt, the dogs get educated to the shooting and go down their hole and won’t come out. It’s nice to move to a different location and let the hunted place cool off. Take multiple rifles as well, barrels will heat up quick, and a barrel cleaning kit. If you have a spotting scope it helps, it’s easier to find em once the shooting starts. 

we never called it "hunting prairie dogs."  It's more of "Whack a mole" with a .22 and was more of something we did as teenagers. Plinking, if you will.

If you know a landowner, and they trust you not to shoot other stuff; they aren't gonna protest your culling of rodents.  As others have said, in the Panhandle and  closer to Lubbock.

It's just somewhat curious for a grown ass man to do it...

Edited by Iceman

It's a blast.  We had two colonies on the ranch as a kid.  Ranchers decimated those little barking rats due to the damage their holes caused to horses and cattle.  My dad used to do it with an old .22 Hornet and a 4X scope.

I've got a Ruger M77 MK2 in 22-250 (6x18 Vortex scope) that does the job well now.  Usually set up with a few shooters and someone glassing.  Either with strong binos, or better yet a good spotting scope.  We'd set out between 400-600yds and get dialed in.  Then it's on....

giphy.gif

BTW - there is a YouTube channel dedicated to those little turds:  "Prairie Dog Be Gone".  Guys using .22's, all the way up to .50BMGs

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

Buddy of mine did a trip.  Took portable shooting benches and gear - basically drove out into a field, set up a make-shift rifle range, and sat for a while shooting, then would move to another spot, rinse and repeat.

Best way he could describe it was Lubbock's version of an Argentinian dove hunt.

17 hours ago, markstanco said:

Who has done this? Me and a few buddies are interested, just curious on where the best area in texas to look at and when the best time of year is. Probably a freelance hunt, dont need a guide. Probably will just us On-X and call land owners.

I have a contact in the Panhandle, if there is any in his part of the world he will know......PM me

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

that's a long way away.  why don't you get closer? 

Really not.  Most I know are sitting out between 6-800yds.  The distance in itself is challenging.  Long range shooting is ridiculously addictive.  On small, moving tagrets, moreso.  The reason they stad up in their holes and bark is to warn the rest.  They can see and hear you and will dive for cover.  That far off, the speed of the round exceeds the speed of the sound of the report of the rifle.

Usually it's "Boom -> splat".....and that range, it's "splat -> boom"

• Like 1

You will need a good chair, a bench and a bench rest for your rifle, a good spotting scope and several rifles with lots of ammo. Oh, and lots of time.  

Some take this LD shooting very seriously.  It's all about distance and wagering.

https://longmeadoweventcenter.com/portfolio-items/colorado-prairie-dog-hunting/

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Not sure what this means...LR shooting isnt for kids.

LOLz.  Maybe where you grew up, it wasn't...

We did it plenty starting with .22 at about 10-11 years old and increasing range/ caliber until adulthood.  That was alone, without an adult around.  If it was a group of us shooting with adults together, the caliber mattered not.

Edited by Iceman

I looked into a prairie dog hunt last year. Most of the prairie dog towns have been leased by outfitters, and are a hot commodity. Rates run from about $450 per day without food and lodging, up to about $3200 for a group of 6-8 with food and lodging. It ain't cheap.

CHIEF

Folks lived in Odessa for many years after I graduated.  Within walking distance of the UTPB Campus.  There's a huge community of them there and they are 100% protected by the school.  They still have to contend with the raptors and coyotes (for which there are a lot of), and even then they are all so FAT.  Manicured grounds.  These big holes everywhere.  With these big, fat ass prairie dogs loafing around.  Yipping and barking at joggers and people walking.  Burrowing owls as well.  Those little guys are neat.  

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I don't think prairie dogs are on the level of feral hogs hatred, but they're probably close.

For ranchers, it's much, much worse.  Most of my family are horse people.  They will muther-fuck every one of those little rats with extreme prejudice.  On the cattle side.  Same, but also porcupines that will tag a curious cow in the face with a tail of quills....orchestrating a very slow, and painful demise.  

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

fucking lulz.

http://www.jimriverguideservice.com/prairiedoghunting.html

I can understand the posing over the dead target if you shot it at great distance but to have a pic taken posing over a dead squirrel, well that's just kinda goofy.

LOL.  No different that posing over a brainless dove you probably ambushed as it came in to water or shot off a telephone line.  I will say this - go out there are take out one of those little barking rats @ 1,200 yds and get back to us.  Nor do you get a follow up shot on a moving target the size of a small apple.  You miss....they disappear.  It's tough.  But it is funny to stand over a vaporized rodent.  

Just now, BabaYaga said:

LOL.  No different that posing over a brainless dove you probably ambushed as it came in to water or shot off a telephone line.  I will say this - go out there are take out one of those little barking rats @ 1,200 yds and get back to us.  Nor do you get a follow up shot on a moving target the size of a small apple.  You miss....they disappear.  It's tough.  But it is funny to stand over a vaporized rodent.  

Again I have no problem posing over a rodent taken at great distance which those people holding signs can attest to. It's the other folks kneeling over a dead rodent that are funny. That's like shooting an egret and posing over it.

With dove, at least those fuckers taste great. Not sure those prairie dogs are getting eaten.

27 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Again I have no problem posing over a rodent taken at great distance which those people holding signs can attest to. It's the other folks kneeling over a dead rodent that are funny. That's like shooting an egret and posing over it.

With dove, at least those fuckers taste great. Not sure those prairie dogs are getting eaten.

I think it's more the distance than the target.  From a few long-range classes I've been in, we'd stand next to the steel plates with our clustered shots and a sign with the yardage.  But I agree the perception is a little skewed.  Tell you what, if I tag an egret at 1,200 yds....I'm having it stuffed!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Overcompensating is denying yourself fun because you're a "grown up". Relax, boomer. ;) 

a paid prairie dog hunt is a courageous endeavor, for sure;  then acting all triumphant about it HAS to be the apex of that person's existence.

LOLZ.  This is like some city boy charging visitors to Austin with a tour of the overpasses.

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

This is the slorchiest thing you've said all day

I'm just saying it's something we did as teenagers and eventually grew out of it.

Whatever though.  Plinking is fun, of course, some folks just see it a little differently.

Just now, Iceman said:

I'm just saying it's something we did as teenagers and eventually grew out of it.

Whatever though.  Plinking is fun, of course, some folks just see it a little differently.

I don't know. I shot varmints when I was a kid and I wouldn't hesitate to go again as an adult. 

Also, the dude on that link is shooting them from extremely long distances. Shit, that would be a blast. 

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

Shit, that would be a blast. 

I can't even begin to tell you how much fun it is.  Or how god d*mn hard it is.  You are trying to hit a large, barking rat that moves around at close to a 1,000yrds.  Staying on your scope for minute after minute, just scanning taxes the shit out of you.  Scanning.  Trying to control your breathing.  Heartbeat.  Then a little head pops up, and you freak a little...so calming yourself down, knowing he's going to pop back under in a matter of seconds and maybe not re-appear for minutes, or even hours.  

I judge no man for taking a picture to have a record of making a +1000 yard shot on a target that small.  Does it make you chuckle a little until you wrap your head around the skill and precision involved...maybe.  But that's some serious, skilled shooting, and it a benefit to the rancher.

Good for them.

• Like 1

I can't even begin to tell you how much fun it is.  Or how god d*mn hard it is.  You are trying to hit a large, barking rat that moves around at close to a 1,000yrds.  Staying on your scope for minute after minute, just scanning taxes the shit out of you.  Scanning.  Trying to control your breathing.  Heartbeat.  Then a little head pops up, and you freak a little...so calming yourself down, knowing he's going to pop back under in a matter of seconds and maybe not re-appear for minutes, or even hours.  
From@crash_davis link. . .

While there are many myths associated with the sport and you should come out with reasonable expectations, it is very possible to shoot 500 or more rounds per person per day. The average guy shoots 300-500 rounds per person per day. This is a long range sport. It is challenging. It is just about as much fun as you can have with a rifle.

3 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

While there are many myths associated with the sport and you should come out with reasonable expectations, it is very possible to shoot 500 or more rounds per person per day. The average guy shoots 300-500 rounds per person per day. This is a long range sport. It is challenging. It is just about as much fun as you can have with a rifle.

Yep.  I should add I was on a small habitat.  Not that many, which contributed to the angst of missing one.  On the bigger towns, it's mayhem.  

OR....

Watch Mike Roew Dirty Jobs and see how they use a giant vacuum and suck them out of theih holes, which looks hilarious in it's own right!

Dog sucker!

21 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

500 rounds per day. Sounds to me like they are spraying bullets at a target and aim is secondary.

giphy.gif

tumblr_njcjdpgmsG1qj13zfo1_500.gif

Edited by crash_davis

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

So how far will a 22-250 drop at 600 yards? And what about the wind? I’m guessing you sight it in at 500 and then do your best to estimate the drop beyond that?

Wind plays hell on small caliber varmint rounds.  Adding of course to the fun.  At 600yds you are looking at a drop in the range of 20+ inches depending on the grain weight, velocity, etc.