Survivor: Winners at War

pied

Starts Wednesday.  Seems like I've watched every season, but am always like "who the hell is that guy???" when they do thiese things.  Doesn't seem like the "it's all to gimmicked up" crowd is going to be happy.

The Emmy Award-winning series returns for its 40th season, themed "Winners at War." This edition features 20 legendary winners of Survivor who will return to compete against each other. The 20th anniversary edition of the groundbreaking series, unites the most memorable, heroic and celebrated champions from the past two decades in the biggest battle in the show's history, as the series' best strategists of all time fight to earn the title of Sole Survivor again. These returning masterminds will compete in epic challenges, face the return of Edge of Extinction, which gives voted-out players a second shot to win, and tackle a brand new layer of the game with the introduction of fire tokens. Fire tokens will serve as currency on the island and add more complexity to the already intense battle. The new twist allows players to use the tokens to buy advantages to help players stay in the game or get themselves back in the game. Additionally, the winner of this historic season will be awarded $2 million, the largest prize in reality show history.

i'm getting burned out on the repeat contestant idea.  at first it was cool, because maybe they had a bad break their first time around, and they were likable enough, but it seems like they do it every season now.  it's like they're trying to make celebrities out of reality tv show contestants.  i'd just as soon the policy be one season and done from here on out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Almost anything should be better than last season’s woke shit show.

Correct. 

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

i'm getting burned out on the repeat contestant idea.  at first it was cool, because maybe they had a bad break their first time around, and they were likable enough, but it seems like they do it every season now.  it's like they're trying to make celebrities out of reality tv show contestants.  i'd just as soon the policy be one season and done from here on out.

I normally do as well but this on the surface is about as good a group of returning players/champs they could have hoped to get, the women especially. Most are great players both mentally and physically (everybody's least favorite winner Sandra aside).

And at first glance I remember/know almost all except for a couple. 

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

It wouldn't be so bad except for the handful that just won't go away - Sandra, Rupert, Boston Rob (who I actually like), etc.. 

Perhaps since many of these are older players, we won't have to get woke as often.

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

Least surprising news of the episode: Sandra gets pissed at someone five minutes in.

Somehow straight up lying about what people say to gain an advantage at tribal is cool, but not telling someone that you're going to be on a future season is the worst thing ever.

1 hour ago, EastTexan said:

She's a bitch. Can't believe these veteran players didn't have Sandra's name at top of their lists.

This.  Everyone on day one should have been in agreement to get her out first.  She's a badass manipulator. 
And as much as I want him to stick around awhile, they should have voted Rob out the first tribal.   

Rob is a master, he absolutely should've been the first to go. He just alpha'd everyone mentally and physically last night. With his wife voted out, it takes away the "his family has twice the odds of winning 2 mil" angle. Look forward to seeing him continue to work everyone.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

They may not be the most likable, but last night Boston Rob, Parvati, and Sandra all showed why they're viewed as some of the greats.  Their social games were unreal.  For none of them to get any votes is incredible.

They also are great not only in their game play but they give great in "game" interviews. That doesn't get them any closer to winning the $ but the all important screen time and a producers dream as it makes their job so much easier to tell a story. It's also so much more entertaining for the viewers. And I loathe the ever loving shit out of Sandra. I loved when she sat out the challenge and someone on the other team said of course she is. 

Overall I thought it was a great opening episode. I like the coin angle as of right now, as for exile island I can only hope they learned their lesson from before and teak it so someone doesn't just win one challenge and get back in the game before the final three. I assume they have. 

One last thing on Sandra, the whole "Rob didn't tell me for 36 days he was going to play" She either is lying, stupid or producers put her up to that. She has been on enough seasons to know that they tape two seasons back to back and she was going to be on this season she would have had to been an idiot to not assume Rob was as well, especially when they probably all knew it was going to be an All Star season.   

Probst has said that Extinction Island will be retired after this. They might have needed it this season to lure some of the players back. Some of the winners might have been reluctant to fly around the world and leaving their families only to be eliminated after a few days.   

I heard in an interview with Sandra on Monday that they didn't ask her about being on Season 40 until there were about 10-days left on Season 39.  She said "yes" immediately.  Rob said "no thanks."  He said he changed his mind later when Jeff Probst called him at home and asked for both he and Amber to be in the cast.  Sandra's totally bullshitting about being mad at Rob for "not telling her."  She said she had not spoken to Rob since they went their own way at LAX after Season 39 and was happy to see him when they brought the cast for 40 together and she found out he had changed his mind (but she wasn't happy to see Amber).

Probst has said that Extinction Island will be retired after this. They might have needed it this season to lure some of the players back.

That's exactly what happened with several of the more well-know winners

Edited by Saint Tacky

I hate to admit it, but I enjoyed the first episode.  Maybe it's because all of these people have previously won, but all the twists aren't really bothering me.  It will be interesting to see if the only way to get a hidden immunity idol is by buying one with tokens.   

Sandra is still Sandra, and Rob is still Rob.  Sandra should always go first, not because she is a threat to win, but because she can fuck up your game so effortlessly for no reason whatsoever.  Rob tends to be a bit more stable until he needs to make moves, but it is a bad idea to keep him around too long.

I'm a bit surprised how many players are in complete fanboy mode. 

I expect my "don't want them to win" list will grow over time, but so far it is limited to Sandra, Rob, Tony, and Amber (only because of Rob).  That said, I find myself rooting for Yul. 

14 hours ago, kevwun said:

It's mind blowing that anyone listens to Sandra and that they didn't try to vote her out immediately.  She's won twice and they all know you can't trust what she says.

She is really perceptive. She can identify weaknesses and knows how to exploit them. I don’t especially like her, especially since she’s adopted the queen mentality, but I respect her game. She’s never won an individual immunity, doesn’t have a great social game but she’s the one of the best ever at the outwit aspect. I personally think Parvati is the best ever.  Truly a 3 tool player. 

• Like 1

I could have worked next to Sophie for the last year and never realized she was on Survivor, much less won it, and I’ve watched every season. Looking up Season. 23, she beat out Ozzy (ok, who hasn’t) Coach and Cochran. Still no memory of her.

So, she’s now my favorite to win. Maybe the others don’t remember her either 😀.

Looked up the 18 winners who didn't get invites - click on the article for why they weren't there.

S1 - Richard Hatch

S2 - Tina Wesson

S4 - Vecepia Towery

S5 - Brian Heidik

S6 - Jenna Morasca

S9 - Chris Daugherty

S10 - Tom Westman

S12 - Aras Baskauskas

S14 - Earl Cole

S15 - Todd Herzog

S17 - Bob Crowley

S18 - James "JT" Thomas

S19 - Natalie White ("beat" Russel Hantz)

S21 - Jud "Fabio" Birza

S26 - John Cochran

S30 - Mike Holloway

S38 - Chris Underwood

S39 - Tommy Sheehan

https://www.eonline.com/news/1122436/checking-in-on-the-18-survivor-winners-who-aren-t-back-for-season-40#photo-1029718

• Like 1

I still cannot figure out how some of these people won their seasons.  Yeesh. 

Why did Natalie sell immunity to Sandra before Jeremy?

Why did Sandra send Amber to Extinction Island, knowing that she might be able to help Rob in some way?

Why did Denise share her idol with a conniving new schooler?

Why do so many people find it so hard to keep their mouths shut?

Still on team Yul. 

I'm baffled that Rob didn't get any votes.  I'm #teamrob but thought he'd be out very soon.  Two tribal councils attended and zero votes (I think).  Guessing we see some sort of mixup in the next couple weeks and that will be interesting.

17 minutes ago, pied said:

I'm baffled that Rob didn't get any votes.  I'm #teamrob but thought he'd be out very soon.  Two tribal councils attended and zero votes (I think).  Guessing we see some sort of mixup in the next couple weeks and that will be interesting.

No good reason to vote out a big target who is (usually) good at challenges this early.

The first two episodes of this season have regenerated my interest in the show.  I don't know how Rob does it.  He should be the first one voted out, no questions asked, but not only has he survived, he's running the tribe again.  Guy must have hypnotic powers when you meet him live.  I'll never forget how thoroughly he dominated his alliance the year he won.  He wouldn't even allow them to talk to outsiders.  They followed him around like chicks to a hen for days, then dutifully voted to give him a million dollars.

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

No good reason to vote out a big target who is (usually) good at challenges this early.

The two nest players to play the game are Rob and Sandra.  If your goal is to win, it's better to not have them in the game. On the tribe of ~9 there are two full immunities (shared by three people).  Smart move IMO, is to get him out ASAP.

I still cannot figure out how some of these people won their seasons.  Yeesh. 

Why did Natalie sell immunity to Sandra before Jeremy?

Why did Sandra send Amber to Extinction Island, knowing that she might be able to help Rob in some way?

Why did Denise share her idol with a conniving new schooler?

Why do so many people find it so hard to keep their mouths shut?

Still on team Yul. 

Pretty sure Natalie had to give immunity to someone going to the next tribal, which wasn’t Jeremy. And I think Denise kind of feels in between new and old, so I think her initial connection with Adam is what she’s clinging to. The rest, yeah I got nothing.

39 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Pretty sure Natalie had to give immunity to someone going to the next tribal, which wasn’t Jeremy. And I think Denise kind of feels in between new and old, so I think her initial connection with Adam is what she’s clinging to. The rest, yeah I got nothing.

You may be right about Nat, but why give an advantage to Sandra ever?  I don't think it was only good for one tribal, as Sandra did not use it, but could be wrong. 

I guess Denise qualifies more for new school than old, but it was dumb to share the idol with Adam.  Since she had to share it, she may as well have just chosen Ben, even if he is a buffoon. 

30 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

You may be right about Nat, but why give an advantage to Sandra ever?  I don't think it was only good for one tribal, as Sandra did not use it, but could be wrong. 

I guess Denise qualifies more for new school than old, but it was dumb to share the idol with Adam.  Since she had to share it, she may as well have just chosen Ben, even if he is a buffoon. 

I believe Sandra's idol was good for three tribals, but I could be mistaken.  And yeah, no idea why she was the recipient.  Maybe Natalie figured Sandra was the most likely target/most likely to actually buy it?