Survivor: Winners at War

pied

That was a great episode.  the other three walking with ethan for his last stick was as inspirational and selfless an act as I've ever seen on the show.  after all they've been through, physically and emotionally spent, and then to get up and make one more trip just for the heck of it.  that was like a boss awesome.

I think the producers are fucking us with the teaser editing.  last week there was no talk whatsoever of voting ethan.  the editing showed nothing but a toss up between two other players )I cant recall now), neither of which were ethan.  this week there was not much talk about Tyson. 

Sandra has got to go.  she's skating by on intimidation.  people are afraid of her, and that's bs.  she needs to go next.  the longer they keep rob, parv, and Sandra around the longer they are fucking up but they are  too stupid to see it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

That was a great episode.  the other three walking with ethan for his last stick was as inspirational and selfless an act as I've ever seen on the show.  after all they've been through, physically and emotionally spent, and then to get up and make one more trip just for the heck of it.  that was like a boss awesome.

I guarantee that was Natalie’s idea. She had several selfless acts on the season that she won. I didn’t like the twinnies on Amazing Race but really enjoy her on Survivor. She is a physical beast. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 5:00 PM, thrillhammer said:

I think the producers are fucking us with the teaser editing.  last week there was no talk whatsoever of voting ethan.  the editing showed nothing but a toss up between two other players )I cant recall now), neither of which were ethan.  this week there was not much talk about Tyson. 

Sandra has got to go.  she's skating by on intimidation.  people are afraid of her, and that's bs.  she needs to go next.  the longer they keep rob, parv, and Sandra around the longer they are fucking up but they are  too stupid to see it.

I didn’t remember it either, but watched again with the wife and they were all over Tyson. Wendell and Nick and Yul especially. They threw the typical wrench in it at the end, but knowing what happens you see it coming. 

Edited by pied

8 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Every once in awhile it would be nice to 'em go to tribal immediately after a challenge.  Do it randomly throughout their stay,  take away the ability to play an idol and take the scheming/planning drama out.

They've done that at least once, though not this season.  People would start hauling all their crap to challenges, just in case.  It would also lead to long tribals where people do all the scheming there, which we have also seen.  It wouldn't be the worst twist ever, but I don't think it would be the calm straightforward process that you envision unless they implemented some sort of gag rule where talking was not allowed.

Yeah, you could see that coming, from when he said he felt good.  It's like the "vote of confidence."  Would have been interesting to have them use  the steal a vote and idol and would likely be deadlocked at two for Rob/Sarah.

No Island of exile/extinction, but looks lie we get back over there.  Almost four equal tribes now.

Rob had as good of a character arc as anyone could have reasonably hoped for this season.  Genuinely acted like the Godfather, had some great confessionals, lasted longer than he should have, and was finally taken down by 4 of the (arguably) weakest players in this season due to the same Buddy System technique that he used to win Redemption Island.

Kind of feel like the first act of this season was dealing with Rob and all of his allies.  Will be interesting to see where it goes now that he's gone.

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Ben’s a dumbass. Sarah is middle of the pack. Sophie is smart as hell. 

Two out of three ain't bad.  Sarah is not middle of the pack.  She is very capable of winning this thing. 

Also, some of you keep referring to the players that have been voted out as "gone."  No one is actually gone yet.  I would be okay if none of them were allowed to re-enter the game, but at least one of them is likely going to have a chance to win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

Can't agree with your assessment that Sarah, Ben, and Sophie are weak players.  I'll give you Adam though.  

Sorry, I should have phrased that better.  I guess I meant that they weren't any of the big shots.  Rob wasn't taken out by Sandra or Tony or Parvati... it was by a group of the lower key players, which is a fun twist.

Sophie and Sarah would be two of my highest picks to win, at this point.  They've both had a great game so far.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Sorry, I should have phrased that better.  I guess I meant that they weren't any of the big shots.  Rob wasn't taken out by Sandra or Tony or Parvati... it was by a group of the lower key players, which is a fun twist.

Sophie and Sarah would be two of my highest picks to win, at this point.  They've both had a great game so far.

It's open season on Big Shots.  Tony has figured that out, but it may not save him.  If it comes down to them voting out either Tony or Sandra, for reasons beyond explanation, they will vote out Tony.  Sandra will probably be the only Big Shot left in the game by the time they are down to 8.  I just don't get what kind of spell she casts over her tribe mates.  

It’s like you have a room full of pit bulls and a sack of soggy mashed potatoes in the corner, all competing.

You take out the other pit bulls because 1) they are dangerous and 2) the sack of mashed potatoes isn’t a threat. Eventually, all that’s left are two pit bulls (who’ve fucked over the other pit bulls) and the sack of mashed potatoes. Then the jury of pissed off eliminated pit bulls vote for the sack of mashed potatoes to win because of spite and, “You know, we really should have taken out the potatoes earlier.”

17 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

It’s like you have a room full of pit bulls and a sack of soggy mashed potatoes in the corner, all competing.

You take out the other pit bulls because 1) they are dangerous and 2) the sack of mashed potatoes isn’t a threat. Eventually, all that’s left are two pit bulls (who’ve fucked over the other pit bulls) and the sack of mashed potatoes. Then the jury of pissed off eliminated pit bulls vote for the sack of mashed potatoes to win because of spite and, “You know, we really should have taken out the potatoes earlier.”

They all have previously won. Not to get in the "deserving" discussion but it is WAY to early to determine who has played a good or shitty game. That said the "new" players are smart enough to know that at some point all the older season players will need to be voted out if they want a shot to win at the end. 

Speaking of are they doing the full cast jury like they did with exile island? Or has that been mentioned?  

3 hours ago, pied said:

Can you imagine being on an island during a season, not knowing what is going on, then after the 39 days you get to learn about wtf is going on? 

Assuming they've been back for some time, just playing "what if?".

That happened on Big Brother Germany. Went into isolation on February 6 and were told about things yesterday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

That was satisfying.

Not sure why she had to burn the idol on Jeremy... or why she couldn’t let him in on the plan (perhaps she feared he would spill the beans), but getting rid of Sandra made it a great episode.

She had to nullify the votes against him or else there still would have been 2 votes for Sandra and Jeremy if he had been in on the plan.

I'm not sure that was a good move by Denise but it was definitely entertaining.  Sandra should have never agreed to let her pay the 2nd token after the vote.  As soon as she said that I saw that gave Denise incentive to vote out Sandra.

55 minutes ago, kevwun said:

She had to nullify the votes against him or else there still would have been 2 votes for Sandra and Jeremy if he had been in on the plan.

Damn, I’m a bit distracted, and not wrapping my brain around this. I thought all the votes were for Denise. Maybe I’ll figure it out later.

As soon as the second tribal started, a light bulb came on for me and I wondered why Denise wouldn’t write Sandra’s name down. Well played Denise.
That light bulb came on for me right when Sandra made the deal and said...pick either guy just not me or Kim. Yeaaaah I am picking you fool, but thanks for the save.

Sandra isn't dumb but I have no clue why she thought this would work.

8 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Damn, I’m a bit distracted, and not wrapping my brain around this. I thought all the votes were for Denise. Maybe I’ll figure it out later.

All the other votes were for Denise, but there is no way she could know for sure whether she or Jeremy was going to be the target unless you believe that no one would ever lie about who the real the target is.  Using both idols was the smart move.  The only way it could have failed is if Sandra had another idol.  If that had happened, I think Nick and Tony make fire?  Not sure about that, but thankfully it didn't matter.

Once Denise bargained to keep one fire token until after tribal, I knew she was going to vote out Sandra.  Even though I knew it was coming, it was still satisfying as hell. 

New school is crushing the old guard.  There is a lot of good game play happening, which is nice to see after it appeared that the more recent winners were all too starstruck in the early episodes to do anything meaningful.  I'm glad that didn't last long. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scraps said:

That light bulb came on for me right when Sandra made the deal and said...pick either guy just not me or Kim. Yeaaaah I am picking you fool, but thanks for the save.

Sandra isn't dumb but I have no clue why she thought this would work.

It was classic Sandra overconfidence.  This was emphasized at tribal when she essentially said that Denise wasn't a threat to win.  That remains to be seen, but Denise is certainly more of a threat than Sandra is now.  I would have liked to have seen Sandra leave her fire token to Denise as a "well-played" gesture, but she's too petty for that. 

16 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

It was classic Sandra overconfidence.  This was emphasized at tribal when she essentially said that Denise wasn't a threat to win.  That remains to be seen, but Denise is certainly more of a threat than Sandra is now.  I would have liked to have seen Sandra leave her fire token to Denise as a "well-played" gesture, but she's too petty for that. 

Yep, Sandra was too over confident that Denise would just be happy to be saved another week as opposed to play harder.  If you owe somebody, it gives you a reason to get rid of them.

i actually thought Denise would call out Sandra before the vote to tell the others that Sandra is plotting behind their back, and that she (Denise) wanted to work with them then after they all vote Sandra out. Denise could still play both idols to ensure her plan worked and may have helped her with tony and Kim for next week.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

i actually thought Denise would call out Sandra before the vote to tell the others that Sandra is plotting behind their back, and that she (Denise) wanted to work with them then after they all vote Sandra out. Denise could still play both idols to ensure her plan worked and may have helped her with tony and Kim for next week.

That strategy has worked before, but it usually fails, and would be an unnecessary risk.  The only time I would try it is if I didn't have idols to play.  Also, the idol Denise received from Sandra was only good through this tribal.  She could have saved the other and tried to out Sandra at tribal, knowing that at least she would be safe, but she risks Sandra somehow convincing her alliance to vote out Jeremy.  The last thing she would want is to keep Sandra in the game.  I think the use of the second idol to increase the odds that Sandra was voted out was an idol well played.       

16 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

That strategy has worked before, but it usually fails, and would be an unnecessary risk.  The only time I would try it is if I didn't have idols to play.  Also, the idol Denise received from Sandra was only good through this tribal.  She could have saved the other and tried to out Sandra at tribal, knowing that at least she would be safe, but she risks Sandra somehow convincing her alliance to vote out Jeremy.  The last thing she would want is to keep Sandra in the game.  I think the use of the second idol to increase the odds that Sandra was voted out was an idol well played.       

Good point.  And there’s also the unknown of whether Sandra has some other power to protect herself. If you really want to ensure someone goes home, a blindside needs to be blind.

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

All the other votes were for Denise, but there is no way she could know for sure whether she or Jeremy was going to be the target unless you believe that no one would ever lie about who the real the target is.  Using both idols was the smart move.  The only way it could have failed is if Sandra had another idol.  If that had happened, I think Nick and Tony make fire?  Not sure about that, but thankfully it didn't matter.

Once Denise bargained to keep one fire token until after tribal, I knew she was going to vote out Sandra.  Even though I knew it was coming, it was still satisfying as hell. 

New school is crushing the old guard.  There is a lot of good game play happening, which is nice to see after it appeared that the more recent winners were all too starstruck in the early episodes to do anything meaningful.  I'm glad that didn't last long. 

Kim and Tony, not Nick.  Got my tribes confused. 

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

This. By playing both idols for the only two people that were even being considered to be voted out it allowed her to be 100% in control of who went home. It also showed Jeremy that he was the 2nd option and gave her the only card she could play to gain a little trust in the short term and possibly long term. 

Not for last night alone but Denise is one of the better and underrated players. 

• Like 1

When Sandra was voted out, I jumped off the couch and screamed like VY just scored a touchdown. I miss sports. 

Great episode though. I disagree with the sentiment that Sarah is middle of the pack.. I have only been watching for 6 or so seasons, but she is the best player I have ever seen in that time frame, just my opinion. 

Denise did burn an idol, but created an ally in the process.. Not a total waste.. 

On 3/20/2020 at 7:39 PM, idigTexas said:

Hindsight is 20/20.  If Sandra, Kim, and Tony had targeted Jeremy instead of Denise, would you still think Denise wasted her second idol?

She gave up short term protection (1 week) for long term gain. She is playing to win the $2 Million not stick around 1 more week.