Survivor: Winners at War

pied

On 4/14/2020 at 8:01 AM, Scraps said:

I'm talking as if i am one of the ones sitting on a log next to him. I would've jumped in and stole his idea once jeff gave the opportunity

Yeah, Tony should have got up and picked up the entire podium and said "I want to play this"

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I don't mind it as much as the rest of y'all; however, I did miss the part where the winner had to destroy the dreams of several people by picking 2 other families to join them.

A bunch of heartless bastards on here.  I don't mind it either, and the dream crushing is always a highlight to the season.  People hold that grudge till day 39.  And kevwun is right.  The worst ever was the final day montage.   

• Like 2

Seems like the Sophie group screwed up the vote. They should have split the vote in case of an idol. . They had 6 votes to the other groups 3 with the steal a vote and Jeremy exit.  Would then be a 3 way tie after which they could vote for whomever. It didn’t end up mattering but it could’ve. 

17 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Does anyone recall the specifics of a past season when one of the players did not have a family member show up?  It's driving me crazy.  I swear it happened, but I can't place it.

There's one of those rattling around in my head that I can't recall either, but I don't think the one I'm trying to remember was from Survivor.  All I can recall is she was an abrasive chick with a dysfunctional family history and everybody on the show got a video from home except here.  Maybe it was Big Brother.   

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Did Johnny Fairplays dead grandma show up? Lolz

He was an awful physical player but hand's down one of the most ruthless and "great" survivor moments of all time. 

As for the loved one's episode- I didn't think it was that bad, I enjoyed the kids being able to come and also a nice gesture for those on exile island to see their family. 

The vote was crazy going to be a lot of flipping sides moving forward I think as it's time to start thinking about who you can beat for the $2M. 

21 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Seems like the Sophie group screwed up the vote. They should have split the vote in case of an idol. . They had 6 votes to the other groups 3 with the steal a vote and Jeremy exit.  Would then be a 3 way tie after which they could vote for whomever. It didn’t end up mattering but it could’ve. 

That's what I thought too, but Michele voted with them.  I think there's a chance that Sophie's group knew Michele was with them all along (maybe due to her connection with Nick?), hence the 5-2-2 vote, and the edit just played up a 5-5 split to enhance the drama of Jeremy leaving.

20 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

That's what I thought too, but Michele voted with them.  I think there's a chance that Sophie's group knew Michele was with them all along (maybe due to her connection with Nick?), hence the 5-2-2 vote, and the edit just played up a 5-5 split to enhance the drama of Jeremy leaving.

Then why use the steal-a-vote?

the game of chicken at tribal between jeremy and sarah was annoying. If you start to speak up, you should be forced to play whatever advantage you have. I have no idea how to make that work in practice though.
Tribal is shitty the way it is now

Maybe I was wrong.  I found a page on Wiki Fandom that goes into detail about every "loved ones" episode.  There is only one mention of someone not having a loved one show up, and it appears as if it didn't happen on screen.

Randy Bailey did not have a loved one show up, but he was voted off before that episode occurred.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Tribal is shitty the way it is now

It's impossible to follow now.  Probst needs to tell them to sit the fuck down and if they have anything to say they need to say it to the group.  He seems to like all the grabass and whispering though so I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't think Jeff and the producers had any idea what kind of a cat they let out of the bag whenever the first person stood up and started whispering during tribal.  I mean, how could they have known what it would turn into, but it sucks now.

It shouldn't be allowed.  If you can't figure it out your plans discretely prior to tribal, tough shit. The beauty of tribal is people are forced to answer questions publicly (though not necessarily honestly). Yeah people could still make eye contact, facial expressions, etc, but standing up and huddling is bad for the show.

Edited by LonghornSean

14 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Dynamic tribal sucks. What did Jeremy and Sarah have going on? I can’t remember. Did one of them have an advantage?

They both had advantages.  Jeremy had the "immunity but have to leave tribal without voting" advantage.  Sarah had the "steal a vote."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Yeah I don't think Jeff and the producers had any idea what kind of a cat they let out of the bag whenever the first person stood up and started whispering during tribal.  I mean, how could they have known what it would turn into, but it sucks now.

It shouldn't be allowed.  If you can't figure it out your plans discretely prior to tribal, tough shit. The beauty of tribal is people are forced to answer questions publicly (though not necessarily honestly). Yeah people could still make eye contact, facial expressions, etc, but standing up and huddling is bad for the show.

Or the could just not show it or focus on it but as you said they let the cat out of the bag and are now stuck with it. 

On 4/16/2020 at 7:32 AM, EastTexan said:

I dread the loved one's episodes. My Survivor hard on was deflated last night. And for thirty damn minutes.

the only episode of the season i hate worse is the one where they eat bugs and slugs and shit.  they seemed to have put the kibosh on that one though.

too many idols and advantages. I'm ok with a hidden immunity idol or two but not much else. I also think there should be a cost to using a hidden immunity idol. You lose your vote the following week.

I assume there are many idols and advantages because there were episodes that it was fairly straight forward who was going home, even if the edit tried to add some drama.

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

too many idols and advantages. I'm ok with a hidden immunity idol or two but not much else. I also think there should be a cost to using a hidden immunity idol. You lose your vote the following week.

I assume there are many idols and advantages because there were episodes that it was fairly straight forward who was going home, even if the edit tried to add some drama.

At this point kind of like the whispering at tribal they can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. 

I watched a couple of episodes from the first few seasons last year and was amazed at how different it was than what I remembered. Way more "surviving without food" and camp life then I ever remembered, just a lot of laying around chatting about stupid stuff they would never show in current seasons. 

Now it's comp, search for idol, immunity challenge, a little game talk, tribal. 

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would guess that focus groups tell them that seeing the players' survival (or lack of) skills isn't a fun watch.  The drama of blindsides or come-from-behind competition wins most likely scores high with audiences.

That or them realizing that there is only so many ways for someone to complain about not being hungry, the rice almost being gone, etc. That is the same every season and would just get repetitive over and over again. Comps and new twists allow them to sell a different show each season. 

1 hour ago, HoffaJimmy said:

That or them realizing that there is only so many ways for someone to complain about not being hungry, the rice almost being gone, etc. That is the same every season and would just get repetitive over and over again. Comps and new twists allow them to sell a different show each season. 

Good call.  Precisely why I'm having trouble lately watching a show that I absolutely loved at the onset - Naked and Afraid.  There's only so many ways you can show folks bitch about being hungry, sleep in wet/cold conditions, find a miraculous source of food two days before extraction, etc...

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

the new twist i'd like to see is right after the immunity challenge everyone has to go off on their own - no talking, no strategizing, no tribal.  just walk up to the urn and submit your vote that night, individually and in private.

I like this twist even it randomly occurred only once or twice later in the season because the tribal strategizing has become awful.

At this point kind of like the whispering at tribal they can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. 
I watched a couple of episodes from the first few seasons last year and was amazed at how different it was than what I remembered. Way more "surviving without food" and camp life then I ever remembered, just a lot of laying around chatting about stupid stuff they would never show in current seasons. 
Now it's comp, search for idol, immunity challenge, a little game talk, tribal. 
I watched Survivor pretty religiously until 2010 or so, but I remember each episode had its own reward challenge and immunity challenge. I'm glad it's condensed for the most part to just one challenge, but I feel like rewards were a much bigger part of earlier seasons, especially the ones where the winners went to visit some exotic location.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Horn80 said:

I like this twist even it randomly occurred only once or twice later in the season because the tribal strategizing has become awful.

oh it would kill the show lightning fast if they were to do this every week. the drama and suspense are where the ratings are.  i'd just like for once to see the jaws drop of the lions when they find out they don't get to strongarm, guilt, manipulate, strategize, etc, against the hyenas.  everyone would just vote out who they wanted out and stay loyal to the ones they liked best. 

me no rikey.  tony like a boss.  finds the idol, buys the advantage, wins immunity.   why in the fuck would Jeremy, nick, and ben give up a token?  that was the dumbest move for all three of them all season, and will come back to bite them in the ass posthaste.  idiots.  and this sleezy promise of i'll pay you back. how?  did any of them ask him that? if he hadn't won immunity he'd have no tokens.   they didn't announce which two of the three he's going to pay back.  I imagine Jeremy gets stiffed.