Survivor: Winners at War

pied

17 minutes ago, iodeac said:

I always wonder if the producers tip off contestants as to where the idol is. They always seem to find it, and this time Tony finds one at night on some huge island? Hokay

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

Not this crap again.  They don’t tip them off.  They show them looking for 30-45 seconds before finding it, when sometimes it takes them hours if not days of looking.

me no rikey.  tony like a boss.  finds the idol, buys the advantage, wins immunity.   why in the fuck would Jeremy, nick, and ben give up a token?  that was the dumbest move for all three of them all season, and will come back to bite them in the ass posthaste.  idiots.  and this sleezy promise of i'll pay you back. how?  did any of them ask him that? if he hadn't won immunity he'd have no tokens.   they didn't announce which two of the three he's going to pay back.  I imagine Jeremy gets stiffed.  

All of them figured it was going to be a 5-4 vote at the next tribal, and all of them thought they were an alliance where Tony was the necessary 5th. They probably did the calculations that one token is worth avoiding rocks.

Ben got duped, but I doubt Jeremy or Nick regret getting in Tony’s good graces after that episode.

On 4/21/2020 at 12:19 PM, HoffaJimmy said:

I watched a couple of episodes from the first few seasons last year and was amazed at how different it was than what I remembered. Way more "surviving without food" and camp life then I ever remembered, just a lot of laying around chatting about stupid stuff they would never show in current seasons.

Cripes, tonight jumped the shark for me.  A fucking "impromptu" fashion show? 

I remember in season 2 when a flash flood took one team's tarp away.  Jeff made them give up half their rice to get a replacement tarp.

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

There's no way Jeremy does because Tony is the only reason he didn't get voted off.

that's true.  tony saved his ass, and was telling the truth for once.  on the flip side just the night before tony was voting for Jeremy.  I still don't think Jeremy realizes that and what he missed by leaving tribal.

I did not enjoy seeing Tony win his season, and I would definitely not want to see him win again, but he certainly made a strong case that he is a top contender.  It's true that he may have made his move too early.  It is also true that he has an idol in his pocket as well as an ability to win challenges, especially when they are mostly physical.  I also expect him to have picked up on Sophie's "I had an idol in my pocket" comment, and will be out looking for a new one.  

Speaking of Sophie's idol, do we know if it loses it's power once she goes to extinction?  I'm sure this has been covered, but don't recall.

Was Nat going to keep those 6 tokens, split them with Parv, or spend them on something for the group to share?  Seems we never get to see them spend the tokens, other than when Tyson bought peanut butter. 

Edited by idigTexas

15 hours ago, WBT said:

I really can't stand Tony.  I think he's sunk now though.  2 straight immunity wins and that move tonight have raised his threat level too early.

Yeah, him having an idol is HUGE for him.  

It it is interesting how things sway from vote to vote. Last week it was Jeremy and Sarah, this week no one mentions Sarah at all. 

17 hours ago, iodeac said:

I always wonder if the producers tip off contestants as to where the idol is. They always seem to find it, and this time Tony finds one at night on some huge island? Hokay

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

No they don't. But I have no doubt that producers push new angles of game play or potential targets while doing their one on one interviews with the players. Not directly but indirectly via leading questions, etc. 

17 hours ago, WBT said:

I really can't stand Tony.  I think he's sunk now though.  2 straight immunity wins and that move tonight have raised his threat level too early.

Agreed. He's a good player I just don't like the way he plays. He's a bully like Rob but Rob does it in such a different way it doesn't come off as being and overconfident asshole. 

Tony's goose is cooked as Jeremy mentioned he made a move way too early and is going to create a massive target on his back. Sure he has an idol but he will need to win out if he has a chance to getting to the end as the first time he is exposed whoever is left would be morons to not get rid of him. 

Will be interesting to see how the fire tokens work as we get a little closer to the end of the game. 

I love Tony.  I don't see what you're saying about him being a bully.  If he is, I think it comes off better than Rob.  Rob comes off as a controlling asshole.  Hell, that's why he is EOE now.  

As for his goose being cooked, if anyone in the history of this game can figure out a way around that, it's Tony.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Now that she's gone, it seems like the time to ask something that's been bugging me all season.  Is Sophie attractive?  Cute?  Pretty sure she isn't a smoke show, but I really can't tell if she's at least cute.  

Something's a little off but still attractive.

That was some stupid play at tribal.  Yes, I know a bunch is edited out, but still.

Jeremy should have played the coin even if he knew something we didn't.  Nothing is 100%.  It's not even your idol.  Just play it.  

Same with Sara.  If someone offers you and idol, take the damn thing.  At the absolute least, Tony loses some power by not being able to play it next time.

What kind of steroids is Sophie on?  That 2nd place finish was pretty impressive.

Why'd Michele vote for Jeremy if she also wanted him to play her 50/50? I don't typically watch Survivor, so my apologies if it's Survivor 101 and I should get it

It’s tough to say given how much they leave out of the edit, but I think the simplest explanation is she thought that Jeremy getting the majority of the votes was inevitable. She wanted to give him the opportunity to stay, but also wanted to stay on good terms with the other players remaining in case the 50/50 didn’t work out. Obviously this proved incorrect, but I’m not sure how much it will hurt her given that Jeremy knows they are still tight.

Why'd Michele vote for Jeremy if she also wanted him to play her 50/50? I don't typically watch Survivor, so my apologies if it's Survivor 101 and I should get it

It’s tough to say given how much they leave out of the edit, but I think the simplest explanation is she thought that Jeremy getting the majority of the votes was inevitable. She wanted to give him the opportunity to stay, but also wanted to stay on good terms with the other players remaining in case the 50/50 didn’t work out. Obviously this proved incorrect, but I’m not sure how much it will hurt her given that Jeremy knows they are still tight.

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Man ok so the talking at tribal is shit...but now we are letting people talk to others after they vote to decide if they want to play idols. What is this shit.

Yeah that was straight bullshit.  Asking someone after the vote who you voted for? Playing a hidden immunity idol is supposed to be something of a gamble. And Jeremy's playing chicken with advantages and idols is annoying too. 

Jeff needs to get control of this stuff.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Yeah that was straight bullshit.  Asking someone after the vote who you voted for? Playing a hidden immunity idol is supposed to be something of a gamble. And Jeremy's playing chicken with advantages and idols is annoying too. 

Jeff needs to get control of this stuff.

agreed.  there needs to be a no whispering rule put into effect.  this is turning  off the fan base.

Yeah, just watched today and tribal was a cluster before the crap after the vote. Tony’s playing great right now, but yeah he’s the target. Never liked him much before. He’s grown on me these past couple weeks. 

This season has gotten kind of boring.  Why are the people on the bottom gunning for Ben for two straight votes?  No one's voting for Ben to win at the end.  And the last vote tonight everyone agreed to vote out Michelle and then shifted it to Nick?  Those two aren't winning either.  How have Tony and Sarah gotten no votes?  It's hard to see anyone but one of those two winning.  Good on them for finding good followers in Ben, Denise, and Nick but it's pretty disappointing the all winners season has shaken out this way.

My odds to win:

Tony: 60%

Michele: 20%

Natalie: 15%

Someone else: 5%

If Tony makes it to the end, he wins. If Michele takes him out and makes it to the end, she has the underdog story and a bunch of friends on the jury. I think the edit is making it kinda obvious that Natalie is making it back, and if she sneaks in final 3 with like Ben and Denise, she most likely wins in the most unsatisfying finale in reality TV history. A Sarah/Ben/Denise final 3 is the other 5% and I probably fall asleep before it‘s over (but Sarah most likely wins).

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

I like Natalie, but if she makes it back and wins, it’s total bullshit. 

Agreed.  I was thinking about this.  Everyone on Extinction seems to be best buds.  Whoever makes it back over would hypothetically get most or all of the votes.  That being said, the 5 remaining are complete idiots if they don't solidly remove Extinction Island person off at the very first vote.  Which, brings up another point.  In what scenario would the 5 even remotely consider aligning to or keeping an Extinction Island person?  If the obvious scenario plays out, then that's quite a lot of time and effort spent filming that aspect of the show only to have said person gone at the next vote.

Also, Jeremy almost really f'd up.  If he was going to give back the 50/50 after tribal, why not just play it?  It almost bit his ass because he and Michelle were one vote from being tied when she played it.

12 hours ago, WBT said:

This season has gotten kind of boring.  Why are the people on the bottom gunning for Ben for two straight votes?  No one's voting for Ben to win at the end.  And the last vote tonight everyone agreed to vote out Michelle and then shifted it to Nick?  Those two aren't winning either.  How have Tony and Sarah gotten no votes?  It's hard to see anyone but one of those two winning.  Good on them for finding good followers in Ben, Denise, and Nick but it's pretty disappointing the all winners season has shaken out this way.

The first half of the season was great, it has really stalled the last few weeks if you ask me. I guess they can only do so much but watching last nights episode I would have rather watched two hours of those on Extinction then the players left in the actual game. Tony I guess is entertaining but everyone has to know (including Tony) that if he makes it to the end he is going to win in a landslide. Plus doesn't he have two idols left? 

I am not anti Tony just didn't think a season with this cast would play out this way. 

Really the only person left in the game that has any chance at all to beat Tony in the end is Denise. She blindsided Sandra (at the time the biggest move of the game) and is the only person other than Tony to win more than one individual immunity challenge. (Tony-3 Denise-2) 

That said I don't think she has received the edit for someone that will make it to the end let alone win. 

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

If Natalie comes back in and wins I think she would deserve it a hell of a lot more than the guy that won in the original Extinction season who literally had to do nothing for like 30 of the 39 days to win $1M. Natalie has been working her ass off at winning pretty much every advantage and "challenge" they have had on Extinction against some of the best players ever to play the game.

She is a fucking beast. I also view what she has done as more impressive than Tony finding 20 immunity idols.  

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Disagree.  The stack of tokens she had is evidence that she's been playing hardcore since being the first exiled.  Others on EOE are undeserving, but not Natalie.  As far as votes, the others on EOE know she's been doing it while starving in a miserable, soul-crushing environment.  A vote for her is not just a "friend" vote, it's acknowledging her gameplay for the entire season.  More than any other contestant, she's been a bona fide survivor since the first vote.

• Like 3

Just now, Herpa Derpa said:

Disagree.  The stack of tokens she had is evidence that she's been playing hardcore since being the first exiled.  Others on EOE are undeserving, but not Natalie.  As far as votes, the others on EOE know she's been doing it while starving in a miserable, soul-crushing environment.  A vote for her is not just a "friend" vote, it's acknowledging her gameplay for the entire season.  More than any other contestant, she's been a bona fide survivor since the first vote.

Much like you can't really blame Chris Underwood for playing the cards he was dealt, you can't blame Natalie for making the best of her situation.  But you can certainly criticize the game for allowing the situation to even come to this.  Last night really highlighted how the EOE concept is incompatible with the core concepts of Survivor, especially when compounded with fire tokens.  Yes, she has kicked ass at earning fire tokens, but that's only because she was blindsided within 48 hours of setting foot on the island.  And now, because of that, she has enough surplus to not only bond with the jury like Underwood did, but buy challenge advantages and essentially Tyson's jury vote?

EOE as an endurance concept is flawed, but at least I get it.  There was no advantage for Reem getting voted out first, other than more time to build relationships.  But when Natalie has 3 advantages in the re-entrance challenge (plus an immunity idol) and Nick has nothing, and the only difference in their actual games was that Nick got blindsided 30+ days later than Natalie, the system is broken.

Again, this is no fault of Natalie, but it's a shame that we are even discussing this scenario.

• Like 1

Continuing the rant: Part of the strategy of Survivor is figuring out who the jury will think is playing the best game.  We saw it last night, Sarah (incorrectly) thinks she is playing a better game in the eyes of the jury than Tony, and that might end up being her downfall.  But whoever comes back from the EOE will KNOW firsthand who the jury thinks is playing the best game and can target them immediately.  It's just mind-blowing how flawed this concept is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Continuing the rant: Part of the strategy of Survivor is figuring out who the jury will think is playing the best game.  We saw it last night, Sarah (incorrectly) thinks she is playing a better game in the eyes of the jury than Tony, and that might end up being her downfall.  But whoever comes back from the EOE will KNOW firsthand who the jury thinks is playing the best game and can target them immediately.  It's just mind-blowing how flawed this concept is.

This is well stated and something I hadn't thought about.  

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Much like you can't really blame Chris Underwood for playing the cards he was dealt, you can't blame Natalie for making the best of her situation.  But you can certainly criticize the game for allowing the situation to even come to this.  Last night really highlighted how the EOE concept is incompatible with the core concepts of Survivor, especially when compounded with fire tokens.  Yes, she has kicked ass at earning fire tokens, but that's only because she was blindsided within 48 hours of setting foot on the island.  And now, because of that, she has enough surplus to not only bond with the jury like Underwood did, but buy challenge advantages and essentially Tyson's jury vote?

EOE as an endurance concept is flawed, but at least I get it.  There was no advantage for Reem getting voted out first, other than more time to build relationships.  But when Natalie has 3 advantages in the re-entrance challenge (plus an immunity idol) and Nick has nothing, and the only difference in their actual games was that Nick got blindsided 30+ days later than Natalie, the system is broken.

Again, this is no fault of Natalie, but it's a shame that we are even discussing this scenario.

I agree with all of this but it's what happens when the producers continue to try and find ways to tweak a show/game that has been around as long as Survivor. The problem there isn't a happy medium. 

I hate all of the idols floating around, I think it just takes away from the core competition and social aspects of the game that makes it so interesting. What Hatch was able to do season 1 with none of the fall backs or advantages that today's players have is absolutely crazy to think about now. But that is the problem now. If they went back to the first handful of season's rules with no idols or advantages viewers would hate it. Either they don't remember how actually boring the shows were outside of the comps or were too young and never watched them. 

I am old school less is more guy but not sure how they would be able to find that happy medium of adding interesting potential blindsides that everybody loves vs. having one alliance with all the numbers doing absolutely nothing and just picking off the other sides players week after week with no drama. 

3 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

I agree with all of this but it's what happens when the producers continue to try and find ways to tweak a show/game that has been around as long as Survivor. The problem there isn't a happy medium. 

I hate all of the idols floating around, I think it just takes away from the core competition and social aspects of the game that makes it so interesting. What Hatch was able to do season 1 with none of the fall backs or advantages that today's players have is absolutely crazy to think about now. But that is the problem now. If they went back to the first handful of season's rules with no idols or advantages viewers would hate it. Either they don't remember how actually boring the shows were outside of the comps or were too young and never watched them. 

I am old school less is more guy but not sure how they would be able to find that happy medium of adding interesting potential blindsides that everybody loves vs. having one alliance with all the numbers doing absolutely nothing and just picking off the other sides players week after week with no drama. 

In a vacuum, I don't hate the concept of EOE.  There are a number of contestants who get voted out earlier than they deserve and would flourish with a second chance.  I just dislike that the player gets to come back in so late.  I think the simplest solution would be to just have the one returnee at the merge.  But if the producers are set on two opportunities, then I think there should be the following option presented after the first re-entrance challenge:  you can either a) quit the game now and be a member of the jury or b) stay in the game and go back to EOE, but you will not be a part of the jury if you do not make it back in.  

• Like 1