2020 MLS Thread

Zepol87

15 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

i'm a bitter FC Dallas fan.  i hate that Seattle has IT.  they're getting to be like the New England Patriots of MLS.

And that's fair.

But we also have the fucking Mariners and a bunch of Okies stole our NBA team, so we'll take what we can get.

Edited by flatdawgs
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Their fans are insufferable pricks who hate Austin.  Fuck em.  Go Seattle!

That hardly set them apart from most people, even UT alums. 

As I always say-

“When in doubt, go after an Argentine attacking player.”

Lucas Zelarayán... take a fucking bow!

3 hours ago, WillUSAF said:

I live in Ohio. We haven't heard 1 thing about the Crew until they reached the Cup finals. Now that they won you would think the Browns won the Super Bowl (yes I'm a Browns fan no need to laugh)

Do you live in Columbus?

An ex-girlfriend who does not follow sports and was traveling from Columbus to Costa Rica yesterday responded to my message about the Crew by writing:

”People in Columbus are crazy about the crew”

The wife of a friend who grew up in Shaker Heights and who lives in the Cleveland area with their three kids responded to my message below. (It’s a good year to be a Browns fan.)

FE9AFA60-13FC-4141-B51D-2C171808218E.jpeg

19 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Do you live in Columbus?

An ex-girlfriend who does not follow sports and was traveling from Columbus to Costa Rica yesterday responded to my message about the Crew by writing:

”People in Columbus are crazy about the crew”

The wife of a friend who grew up in Shaker Heights and who lives in the Cleveland area with their three kids responded to my message below. (It’s a good year to be a Browns fan.)

FE9AFA60-13FC-4141-B51D-2C171808218E.jpeg

No I live in the Cleveland burbs (East side)...yes your right the Browns are all the talk. I'm part of that since I have been a Browns fan my whole life. Shit I even bought a new jersey

Columbus people may be crazy about the Crew, which is cool, but we never hear anything up here in Cleveland about them unitl now.

The Crew doesn't attract much support from outside Columbus beyond soccer diehards from the region who had no other MLS options for decades until FC Cincy.  They have a strong and relatively large hardcore support but have struggled (like much of MLS) to sustain the casuals needed for a small market to consistently draw near capacity crowds. 

The new ownership and club leadership (combining Caleb Porter with the Toronto FC management was a masterstroke) have positioned the Crew as well as possible for the move into the new stadium which is a massive upgrade over Crew Stadium in every respect (decaying and ignored erector set adjacent to the ghetto -> state of the art downtown stadium adjacent to entertainment districts).  No one would have believed in October 2017 that the Crew would be moving into a new stadium (in the exact location Crew diehards wanted) in 2021 as MLS champions. 

The LAFC/Club America game was wild last. Herrera got kicked out as manager and ended up being in the stands with a walkie talkie. Of course Concacaf can't do shit and just allows it. Luckily LAFC pulled it out 3-1 in a wild match that looked more like an opera than a soccer game. 

LAFC has beaten Leon, Cruz Azul, and Club America this go around of the CCL and now plays a Tigres team that's playing well. It should be a fun Tuesday night. 

EpqCRCJU0AcQ2s-?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The LAFC/Club America game was wild last. Herrera got kicked out as manager and ended up being in the stands with a walkie talkie. Of course Concacaf can't do shit and just allows it. Luckily LAFC pulled it out 3-1 in a wild match that looked more like an opera than a soccer game. 

LAFC has beaten Leon, Cruz Azul, and Club America this go around of the CCL and now plays a Tigres team that's playing well. It should be a fun Tuesday night. 

EpqCRCJU0AcQ2s-?format=jpg&name=small

I got to watch this last night.  Crazy stuff.  I hate that fat fuck America coach and his little bitch goalie (Ochoa).  What happened before the half was ridiculous.  Did you hear the announcers say that Herrera has gotten 40 red cards as a manager?  F that guy.

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I got to watch this last night.  Crazy stuff.  I hate that fat fuck America coach and his little bitch goalie (Ochoa).  What happened before the half was ridiculous.  Did you hear the announcers say that Herrera has gotten 40 red cards as a manager?  F that guy.

I missed that part. My wife (Mexican) said she never lost respect for anyone as quickly as she did for crying Ochoa last night.

And for the love of God can we get VAR in the knockout stages?

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure how NYCFC & NYRB are exchanging players and/or sending groups over to Europe to train, but FC Dallas has a massive advantage over every other team in the MLS as long as they keep sending these groups and top players keep getting purchased by top leagues throughout Europe.

• 1 month later...

Copa Tejas is a go. This is all SG driven. Austin SG threw a wrench in it by getting their front office involved(which was fucking stupid) but it got done. El Capitan is still Houston vs Dallas for those interested.

Screenshot_20210322-124704_Twitter.jpg

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 2:49 PM, Zepol87 said:

Copa Tejas is a go. This is all SG driven. Austin SG threw a wrench in it by getting their front office involved(which was fucking stupid) but it got done. El Capitan is still Houston vs Dallas for those interested.

Screenshot_20210322-124704_Twitter.jpg

They should do it like Brazil does and have a state tournament. 

Not just FC Dallas, Austin FC, & Houston 1836, but all of the USL teams as well.

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

They should do it like Brazil does and have a state tournament. 

Not just FC Dallas, Austin FC, & Houston 1836, but all of the USL teams as well.

Good idea.  Anything that boosts the USL is a good thing for American soccer.  

8 hours ago, alincoln said:

Good idea.  Anything that boosts the USL is a good thing for American soccer.  

We have Open Cup for that. Talks about having the USL winner at the MLS winner in a friendly 

Austin FC vs FC Dallas preseason today 

20210407_160256.jpg

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The refs in the CCL really suck. They so easily lose control because they do nothing to control it during.

and at the end of this game was a studs up tackle that only gets a yellow. 

That was absolutely effing ridiculous.  Typical CCL officiating on the road.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That was absolutely effing ridiculous.  Typical CCL officiating on the road.

I flipped on the game (Saprissa v Philadelphia) because, soccer. It wasn’t very good, but that ref was awful. Barely called anything, even though there were clear fouls that were missed - both ways. And fouls that were called were honestly card worthy.

and then at the end there was a fight due to that hard tackle- he handed out 4 yellow cards. There were 6 cards in the entire game, the tackle got one too. But the first was 75’ in!!!

i don’t know if I would just say typical on the road, the refs are just bad from Central America. They let too much physical play go. 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

I, too, turned it on at the very end.  I'll watch any soccer game - especially when I kind of have a rooting interest.  I've seen far too many games over the years in Central America where the refs are either incompetent, biased, or afraid to make a call in that atmosphere.  (Granted, this one was in an empty stadium presumably.)

Out of all the UT and Cowboy games in which I've thrown post-game fits, the angriest I've ever been watching a game was a US soccer game circa 1999 @ either Honduras or Guatemala.  It was a qualifier.  US was up a goal at the very end.  Home team sends a long ball toward our goal in the waning seconds.  Keeper catches it.  Home player - literally - jumps in the air and cleats the goalie.  Goalie falls down injured, ball rolls to the right of the goal.  Defender gets it.  Another guy comes flying in, cleats first, and maims the defender to win the ball.  They get it and score.  I absolutely lost it after that game.  

Now that I've rabbit-holed myself, I'm going to try and find evidence or video of that game.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I, too, turned it on at the very end.  I'll watch any soccer game - especially when I kind of have a rooting interest.  I've seen far too many games over the years in Central America where the refs are either incompetent, biased, or afraid to make a call in that atmosphere.  (Granted, this one was in an empty stadium presumably.)

Out of all the UT and Cowboy games in which I've thrown post-game fits, the angriest I've ever been watching a game was a US soccer game circa 1999 @ either Honduras or Guatemala.  It was a qualifier.  US was up a goal at the very end.  Home team sends a long ball toward our goal in the waning seconds.  Keeper catches it.  Home player - literally - jumps in the air and cleats the goalie.  Goalie falls down injured, ball rolls to the right of the goal.  Defender gets it.  Another guy comes flying in, cleats first, and maims the defender to win the ball.  They get it and score.  I absolutely lost it after that game.  

Now that I've rabbit-holed myself, I'm going to try and find evidence or video of that game.

Maybe try 2001, the World Cup was in 1998, so 1999 qualifiers don't make sense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Maybe try 2001, the World Cup was in 1998, so 1999 qualifiers don't make sense.

Yeah.  I started in '97.  Working my way forward.  I'm wondering if I'm cross referencing two games because I just saw where we lost to CR in 2000, in the 90-something min, on a shit PK call by the refs in Saprissa (ironic, isn't it?).  Also ironic... the shit call was a hand ball on Beerholder.  I just remember that we had two road games in a row in which something went really wrong at the end.  After the second game, I ...uh... rearranged my bedroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdZIUYGujJg

Edited by Knoxtnhorn