2020 MLS Thread

Zepol87

23 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yeah.  I started in '97.  Working my way forward.  I'm wondering if I'm cross referencing two games because I just saw where we lost to CR in 2000, in the 90-something min, on a shit PK call by the refs in Saprissa (ironic, isn't it?).  Also ironic... the shit call was a hand ball on Beerholder.  I just remember that we had two road games in a row in which something went really wrong at the end.  After the second game, I ...uh... rearranged my bedroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdZIUYGujJg

2000 Guatemala-USA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21XSUR7KZFM

This has the score in US form with the home team second, but that's in Guatemala.

12 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

2000 Guatemala-USA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21XSUR7KZFM

This has the score in US form with the home team second, but that's in Guatemala.

Yea.  I saw that one yesterday.  I have no idea what game I'm trying to recall.  I'm thinking the game in which I rearranged my room was the next game when they lost to CR on the road on a shitty PK call.  I do remember it being a qualifier AND a back-to-back in Central America.  I'm about 99% sure this (Guat, then CR) is it. 

I really started watching the US right around '97, and do remember most everything after 2002 because a friend of mine and I have watched or attended every US game since then.  If I get more time, I'll try and figure it out.  I'm perplexed, because I know it was in Central America and I also know that I wouldn't have been upset about losing a friendly.  I'm not sure what other important games during this time frame would have occurred there.

• 4 weeks later...

As only a casual fan of the MLS, I have to say I've been a bit impressed with what I've seen thus far this year both in the CONCACAF Champion's League as well as in-league.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of watching Toronto v. Cruz Azul last night.  Watching Chris Armas coach, Jozy Altidore puss out, and Michael Bradley flail away all over the field gave me bad flashbacks to the shitty side of US soccer.  

Here's to, hopefully, a couple of wins tonight.

Edit: Altidore didn't play because he's a king or something.  Just kidding.  The p#$@#y didn't feel well.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

...I made the mistake of watching Toronto v. Cruz Azul last night.  Watching Chris Armas coach, Jozy Altidore puss out, and Michael Bradley flail away all over the field gave me bad flashbacks to the shitty side of US soccer. 

Far and Away...

The best thing that Chris Armas ever did was get hurt before the 2002 World Cup. 

He sucked so much ass it was shocking that he didn’t die of E.-coli, but he was always the starting #6 no matter what. 

His parents must have paid the salaries of US Soccer execs or something because he was a fucking midget with limited athleticism and skill. He was fucking awful!

If he hadn’t gotten hurt, he would have started all 3 games and the USMNT would have finished 0-3-0 with about a -6 Goal Differential.

But praise the tiny baby Jesus he got hurt and we advanced to the quarterfinals before getting screwed by the ref vs Germany. 

I am so glad to see that he is coaching Michael Bradley & Jozy Altidore. 😂

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 2

I think it was Chris Armas that took the worst pk I've ever seen.  It was the Gold Cup or something.  Game goes to pk's.  Armas is like 6th in line.  He - literally - kicked the ball right at the goalie's chest.  It wasn't a chip ala Messsi.  It had no pace.  Just the type of kick one would do warming up a goalie pregame.

Dammit.  Now I'm going to have to go back and find it.

• Hook 'Em 1