espn classic - WTF?

Hagbard Celine

it's gone from uverse.

this week begins the 40th anniversary of the USA 1980 hockey gold.  the sweden 2-2 miracle draw is thursday 40 years to the day.

i thought for sure the bastards would finally dig the tapes out of the vault and replay each and every game in it's entirety.

but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO /judgesmails

they've just decided to kill the channel entirely.

bastards.

I never understood why they showed editted/shortened games.  The entire channel devoted to playing old games, why shorten them?  The people that actually would want to watch old ass games probably don't want to fast forward through the entire 3rd quarter. But that was as 15 years ago, haven't watched it since. 

• Like 4

I have not watched it since they moved it to the 600's on DirectTV. I will never forget the first game I did watch on it though. It was the 1969 Texas vs Arkansas game. It was back in the late 90's. Always saw the highlights with the catch and eventually taking the lead and that was it. So I sat down and looked forward to watching a Texas team win an MNC when they were good not like what I had been seeing from 1984 to 1997. By the 4th / 5th turn over I was throwing a pillow at the TV screaming "These son of bitches (or similar) never made it easy on Longhorn fans". Dammit! even though I knew the outcome I just never heard about the turn overs and how crappy the offense played for most of the game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Wasn't in HD.  Tons of classic games on YouTube.  No sense in keeping it.

Can I pull up the 38-0 Cowboys seasoning opening win over Baltimore in 1977?  In HD?

No.  No I can't.

Killing Classic is just one more thing i've paid AT&T for that they've redacted for profit margin.

NFL Network.

NHL Network.

All the prem games (fuck NBC gold, it should be included given what i pay AT&T)

8 hours ago, Hate said:

Fuck AT&T Uverse. They made me switch to Direct Tv which I hate just as much. As soon as the NFL Sunday ticket is not exclusive to Direct Tv, I will kiss Att&t goodbye forever...except for internet.

Why does anyone need the NFL Ticket any more with the advent of the Red Zone.

I guess if you are a huge fan of an out of market team I can understand but beyond that the Ticket is obsolete.

That’s exactly why. My wife is a huge 49ers fan. As a Cowboys and Texans fan, I get to see pretty much all of their games here in Houston. There are times in Houston that a conflict between the Cowboys and Saints games exist and the local channel chooses the Saints, so the Ticket allows me to see the Cowboys game anyway. It’s also kind of nice to watch any game I want if the Texans or Cowboys aren’t on at any given time.

I think every cable company is dropping ESPN Classic. It's more of a VOD thing. Totally agree with the sentiment that it made no sense to cut out sections of the game to fill it in a time slot. Pisses me off that LHN does it for old Longhorn games!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 4:25 PM, n64ra said:

I think every cable company is dropping ESPN Classic. It's more of a VOD thing. Totally agree with the sentiment that it made no sense to cut out sections of the game to fill it in a time slot. Pisses me off that LHN does it for old Longhorn games!

The Auburn game in 84 or 85 (the game in Austin) has the possession cut where Jerry Gray chases down Bo Jackson and separates Bo's shoulder.  All you see is that Auburn no longer has Bo in the game.  No explanation.  No replay.  Nothing.

Why can't the LHN get the whole game footage instead of showing the butchered ESPN Classic reruns? Can someone punch Galindo for me?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The Auburn game in 84 or 85 (the game in Austin) has the possession cut where Jerry Gray chases down Bo Jackson and separates Bo's shoulder.  All you see is that Auburn no longer has Bo in the game.  No explanation.  No replay.  Nothing.

Why can't the LHN get the whole game footage instead of showing the butchered ESPN Classic reruns? Can someone punch Galindo for me?

I was at that game as a student. Was watching the rerun of it and was disappointed that that play was not shown too. Plus I like to see who all I might recognize in the stands from bygone days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

That's inexcusable and it's important that the nation locates the person responsible so he can be neutered with a hammer.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

If only Galindo was in the room....

14 hours ago, Chooky said:

That's inexcusable and it's important that the nation locates the person responsible so he can be neutered with a hammer.

I thought Galindo was neutered years ago.

17 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I was at that game as a student. Was watching the rerun of it and was disappointed that that play was not shown too. Plus I like to see who all I might recognize in the stands from bygone days.

Look for the dude in the Navy Blue polo, khakis, rollers, and a leather checkbook cover....

Man I loved this channel when it first came on, several classic games I got to watch over again but then I got into tape/dvd trading and was able to find other games that Classic didn't show.  I haven't has this channel since moving to NY, not sure what they show anymore.