Wrong

Degenerate Gardner

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That came up in response to a post mentioning Herman Cain and I mistakenly took the reply to be about Cain and not McCain. I was wrong about that. There certainly was no birther campaign against Herman Cain. 

There wasn't against John McCain either. I remember some talk about that but it was never a big deal. Obama was born in Hawaii and the birther campaign, with Donald Trump as its chief promoter, falsely alleged that he was born in Kenya. John McCain really was born in Panama so there was a legitimate legal question there. The Democrats defended him as pointed out in that WaPo article. The two situations really aren't similar at all. 

Trump essentially ran as a one issue candidate in both elections, but in 2012, it was “my investigators are in Hawaii finding amazing things about Barack Obama.”

McCain’s birthplace was loosely discussed at the fringes, and it’s just fantasy to equate that with a presidential candidate running on an imaginary birth certificate “scam” and convincing half of the entire party’s voter base that it was all a real thing. This is all projection via false equivocation.