How would Presidential protection laws work for an Ex_President in Prison?

horn4life

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

I know we provide ex-Presidents with lifetime secret service protection.  Does this extend into incarceration in Prison and beyond?

Asking for a friend?

Yes, it does extended to incarcerated persons should that ever happen. It's never happened before and no one quite knows definitively how exactly it would work, but they nonetheless are entitled to it under the FPA. I imagine what would happen is that they'd keep rotating the former president's cell, and he'd just happen to be put in one with a "cellmate" that "just arrived." Either that or they'd put him in solitary that wasn't exactly solitary...

Or most likely, such a former president would suffer the same fate as Charles Logan in the show 24: house arrest at the grandest property that the guy owns. Ankle bracelet with no permissions to ever leave, but a comfortable life of isolation nonetheless. 

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

I know we provide ex-Presidents with lifetime secret service protection.  Does this extend into incarceration in Prison and beyond?

Asking for a friend?

Are you thinking Obama is going down for all the corruption and collusion leading to the 2016 election? 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

50 minutes ago, DeweyCox said:

Are you thinking Obama is going down for all the corruption and collusion leading to the 2016 election? 

Let's run with that -- can you answer the question proposed in the original post regarding Obama's incarceration?

Fucking trolls.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's run with that -- can you answer the question proposed in the original post regarding Obama's incarceration?

Fucking trolls.

Oh, I don’t think there’s any chance Obama will be prosecuted. My point was meant to be just as dumb as the OP.

Just now, DeweyCox said:

Oh, I don’t think there’s any chance Obama will be prosecuted. My point was meant to be just as dumb as the OP.

The OP didn't mention any particular President.  Trust me, you took whatever level of "dumb" was in that post and turned it up to 11.

12 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

That's not what he asked.

My bad. I’d have to assume that they would continue to have whatever protection deemed necessary in that environment. I’d also imagine that environment being more extravagant than most citizens enjoy at home.

3 minutes ago, DeweyCox said:

My bad. I’d have to assume that they would continue to have whatever protection deemed necessary in that environment. I’d also imagine that environment being more extravagant than most citizens enjoy at home.

At a high level, I agree.

Practically speaking, I would expect an incarcerated POTUS to be essentially confined to house arrest with Secret Service protection and travel monitoring.  I think it's an absurd pipe dream to think they'd be in genpop.

I think that revoking Presidential Protection for convicted felons should become part of law.  Clearly all Republicans would vote for such legislation given the near universal position on not wanting felons to be allowed to vote after their sentences were served.  Seems like it would be an easy yes vote.  If nothing else it would be bun to hear the debate on how the law is "targeting Trump!"  To which the response would be... "How can you target somebody who has done nothing wrong?"

Trump is going to be far and away the most costly President in our nation's history.  Probably a factor of 4 -6 fold of all prior presidents.  I honestly do not mind if felonious President are given special treatment to protect them in Prison.  I do however seriously mind picking up the tab for a convicted felon's protection.  

• Like 1