Sleep study

My dentist and primary care doc both suggested to me that I may be a good candidate for a sleep study due to potential sleep apnea. I've done some brief research on sleep study centers around my area of DFW and almost all of them have shitty ratings. 90% of the ratings on google and yelp are people saying that they're a joke and have bad customer service. I can't tell if these people are lying, if they expect to get whacked off by the nurse when they wake up and get pissed when it doesn't happen, or if sleep study centers fall under the category of where people only review if they have something bad to say.

Any of you ever done one? Doesn't matter if it was in DFW or not. How did it go? Did you feel like you were ripped off?

Before doing it see if it is  possible for you to get the report sent to you as well as your doctor.  The graphs can be cool or even chilling once you see your oxygen levels throughout the night while you slept.  It should be a big incentive to lose weight and/or get the mask till you do or even consider the other methods available now to treat it.  Not something to ignore if you think you are having the symptoms of those who suffer from the condition.

Edited by zork

I'm in DFW and did one last year. There's a doctor over at 75 and Walnut Hill with great reviews...but a 4 month wait. I ended up going with someone up in Frisco for an at home study. I think the decision to do an at home study was more driven by what insurance would auto approve. Anyway, I picked up the device, wore it two nights. Turned it in and a day later went back and they told me I don't have sleep apnea, I just snore a ton. They could chart how much I was snoring and that the apnea events weren't significant enough for me. I don't think I ever actually spoke to a doctor. So it was fast and simple, but not much of a white glove service.

This was the place: https://www.mypeaksleep.com/

I don’t think that there has ever been a person that went in for a sleep study and left without a report saying they needed a c-pap. Oh, and guess what, they sell you the machine too. That’s not to say that you wouldn’t benefit from one, but why don’t they just sell these devices at your local Walmart for $150 and be done with it.

• Like 2

I’ve got an upcoming study at The Sleep Center of Austin. Can’t yet give a personal review on the overnight aspect, but the reviews are great. Might be worth the drive if everything around you is terrible. I’ll report back in a couple weeks if you’re still looking
Post how this goes, I'm interested

I've had two. To me, it's not that big a deal. Just lay still and go to sleep. Don't perseverate on "My God!!! Wires!!!". The hard part for me was finding a CPAP mask that fit without leaks and with some degree of comfort. Once I found a mask I could live with I use it every night. Unfortunately, for me it was not life changing because the second study revealed that I have narcolepsy as well as sleep apnea. So, the apnea is treated with the machine, but there is no good treatment for narcolepsy. I guess it's good that I don't have the problems associated with the apnea, but I am still sleepy most of the time...narcolepsy being an abnormal sleep architecture rather than airway obstruction. 

10 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

I don’t think that there has ever been a person that went in for a sleep study and left without a report saying they needed a c-pap. Oh, and guess what, they sell you the machine too. That’s not to say that you wouldn’t benefit from one, but why don’t they just sell these devices at your local Walmart for $150 and be done with it.

I did, I was told my issues were related to neck size and to drop some weight.

That’s not to say that you wouldn’t benefit from one, but why don’t they just sell these devices at your local Walmart for $150 and be done with it.

I've seen "gently used" ones on CL and Nextdoor for cheeep.

To OP- I got a guy who will watch you sleep-assuming you are a dude. How much are you charging?

On 2/11/2020 at 12:43 PM, HRSchenker said:

My dentist and primary care doc both suggested to me that I may be a good candidate for a sleep study due to potential sleep apnea. I've done some brief research on sleep study centers around my area of DFW and almost all of them have shitty ratings. 90% of the ratings on google and yelp are people saying that they're a joke and have bad customer service. I can't tell if these people are lying, if they expect to get whacked off by the nurse when they wake up and get pissed when it doesn't happen, or if sleep study centers fall under the category of where people only review if they have something bad to say.

Any of you ever done one? Doesn't matter if it was in DFW or not. How did it go? Did you feel like you were ripped off?

I live in Plano and had my GP recommend a pulmonologist.  He recommened Dr. Greg Foster.  He is just east of 75 off of the Bush Turnpike.  He had me do an at home sleep study.  The wires were uncomfortable and I didn't sleep well but it was good enough.  He wrote a prescription for a CPAP machince / mask.  I am going to pick it up tomorrow.  The doctor seems like a good guy.  He took the time to show me why I have apnea and what the mask can do.  There are also other options besides the mask depending on how bad your case is.  I am overweight by quite a bit and he told me that if I would lose weight that that would help but it might not completely cure it.

You can buy gray market CPAPs on websites like secondwindcpap.com. Buying them without being hassled for a prescription is better than the price.
Gotta make sure you get the right machine, though. And you have to properly set it up.

There are cpaps, bipaps and apaps. Each one works differently.

20 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

Seems like the main purpose of this test is to get your insurance to pay for it. But if the insurance companies just said that the devices now didn’t require a test just a doctors prescription and if they capped reimbursement at $75, I bet the devices would cost $75.

• 2 weeks later...

there are different levels of airflow from the machines and they set it depending on the results of your sleep study.  Understanding your results and what flow level is required to keep you breathing through the night is something you need to know if you have sleep apnea problems.

Edited by zork
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Finally got around to doing a sleep study and my doc says I have mild obstructive sleep apnea. AHI is 5.1/hr which puts me over the line from normal to mild. 0 apneas and 38 hypopneas during the test. Average osat was 95% but got down all the way to 91%. Average heart rate of 56 with a range of 43 to 96 with mild to intermittent snoring.

Sucks because I know I'm overweight and I'm trying to lose pounds. I'm 214 right now which is the lowest I've been in nearly 10 years. I don't wanna be hooked up to a machine but I also want to live longer lol

18 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Finally got around to doing a sleep study and my doc says I have mild obstructive sleep apnea. AHI is 5.1/hr which puts me over the line from normal to mild. 0 apneas and 38 hypopneas during the test. Average osat was 95% but got down all the way to 91%. Average heart rate of 56 with a range of 43 to 96 with mild to intermittent snoring.

Sucks because I know I'm overweight and I'm trying to lose pounds. I'm 214 right now which is the lowest I've been in nearly 10 years. I don't wanna be hooked up to a machine but I also want to live longer lol

CPAP is a game changer. You will add years to your life by sleeping better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't sleep without my CPAP. When I was a frequent traveler, (and before they had small, convenient battery-powered CPAPs or accessible power outlets on airplanes), I would stay up through red eye flights even if it meant a day longer than 30 hours. Being dependent on a machine sucks. But the sleep is so much better.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Do it.  I can't sleep without it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Had one done twenty years ago as part of a study on apnea in relation to heart problems.  They told me I woke up 60 times that night and never went into REM sleep.  Don't know how true that is, but as a child I had recurring nightmares almost every night.  For many years now I may remember dreaming about something once a year or less, and never a nightmare.  And I have no trouble sleeping.  If that is apnea, I am happy to have it.