If your preferred Dem candidate does not get the nomination, what do you do?

Biff Tannen

If your preferred Dem candidate does not get the nomination, what do you do?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. If your preferred Dem candidate does not get the nomination, what do you do?

• Vote for whomever the Dem nominee is
    • Not vote
    • Vote for the Republican candidate
    • Vote third party/write in

Whether my preferred candidate is nominated or not, the only thing I am really going to worry about is trying to make sure the down ballot folks get elected. The only way to increase votes for the Dem presidential candidate is to get pockets of Dems excited about local races.

Or at least that is what I am telling myself.

• Like 1

It depends on why my preferred candidate didn't get the nomination.

Scenario 1: If the nominee coming out of the convention is the nominee who came in with the most pledged delegates, I vote for that person and go Straight D downballot. (exception: Bloomberg, who I will not vote for under any circumstance)

Scenario 2: If the nominee coming out of the convention is NOT the nominee who came in with the most pledged delegates, I leave the top line blank and go Straight D downballot.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If I were confident this poll represented the vast majority of Dems, I could rest easy, no matter the nominee.  I fear it does not.

I think it represents the vast majority of the Dems.  The problem is that it may not represent 98% of the Dems, and that could cause a problem. 

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It depends on why my preferred candidate didn't get the nomination.

Scenario 1: If the nominee coming out of the convention is the nominee who came in with the most pledged delegates, I vote for that person and go Straight D downballot. (exception: Bloomberg, who I will not vote for under any circumstance)

Scenario 2: If the nominee coming out of the convention is NOT the nominee who came in with the most pledged delegates, I leave the top line blank and go Straight D downballot.

Not an option.

Bloomberg is not a Dem candidate, so I am Blue No Matter Who. The Democrats who make up and made up this field can work together - as they did in 2008 when Obama and Hillary had a nasty primary. 

If Dem, Inc. wants to hand over the Democratic Party to Bush Republicans and give the nomination to Bloomberg, they can pound sand. 

Edited by washparkhorn

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'd vote for almost any other American politician I can think of over Trump, so I'm not going to have a problem voting for any of the candidates including Biden and Bloomberg.

Ditto.  But considering 3 of the top 4 are in their 70s when they take the oath of office, VP is going to matter a lot (for me). 

Biden-Harris? Hell to the yes.
Sanders-Gabbard? Hell to the no. 

Just now, washparkhorn said:

Bloomberg is not a Dem candidate, so I am Blue No Matter Who. The Democratic who make up and made up this field can work together - as they did in 2008 when Obama and Hillary had a nasty primary. 

If Dem, Inc. wants to hand over the Democratic Party to Bush Republicans and give the nomination to Bloomberg, they can pound sand. 

So pencil you in for a "not vote" then?

Just now, Js1 said:

Sanders-Gabbard? Hell to the no. 

So you would willingly cast your vote, either by ballot or by 3rd-party or non-voting complicit behavior, for Donald Trump.

Fuck that.  A Sanders presidency is vastly superior to 4 more years of Trump.  A year or two of Sanders followed by a year or two of Gabbard is vastly superior to Trump.

I swear to God, way too many "Democrats" have such a fucking hard time with very basic tactics.  There is one goal here -- get Trump out of office.  All other choices are preferable.

• Like 7

Elizabeth Warrens team texted me the other day asking if I had her support.  I told them once she’s running against Trump, yes. They asked about the primaries and I have no fucking clue if I’d support her or not. Don’t really care, really. I will not be denied my chance to vote for someone in that job whose name isn’t trump. Can’t be bothered to figure out yet who my preference is. I’m hoping someone will start to stand out but so far I’m seeing a bunch of meh. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

So you would willingly cast your vote, either by ballot or by 3rd-party or non-voting complicit behavior, for Donald Trump.

Fuck that.  A Sanders presidency is vastly superior to 4 more years of Trump.  A year or two of Sanders followed by a year or two of Gabbard is vastly superior to Trump.

I swear to God, way too many "Democrats" have such a fucking hard time with very basic tactics.  There is one goal here -- get Trump out of office.  All other choices are preferable.

Ugh I'd vote for it but damnit, I'd hate myself.  It would be a lesser of two evils type vote.

I would never vote third party.  I'm not a retard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Ugh I'd vote for it but damnit, I'd hate myself.  It would be a lesser of two evils type vote.

It's why I loved James Carville's rant.  He gets it.  It's all politics.  Play the game as the rules are set up.

He really needs to be brought on as an advisor to whoever the Dems pick.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

A race between Bloomberg and Trump is the surrender of representative democracy. That has been roiling under the surface for many years. To blatantly "provide" that as the literal choice in an election is mighty ballsy of the top .01%. That would be a poor decision on their part. 

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

A race between Bloomberg and Trump is the surrender of representative democracy. That has been roiling under the surface for many years. To blatantly "provide" that as the literal choice in an election is mighty ballsy of the top .01%. That would be a poor decision on their part. 

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I would see which Democrat stands up and has the balls to give a Howard Beale speech.

Bloomberg/Trump is the worst option for this nation at this time.

Hilary is a MUCH BETTER option and I would encourage Hillary to step in. 

8 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I would see which Democrat stands up and has the balls to give a Howard Beale speech.

Oh, good thing that has a chance of happening.

f6e3baf6-ac81-464c-9d2d-d26b55120caa_tex

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RayDog said:

If the oligarchs steal the nomination I will become a Filipino and support President PacMan in 2022.

Pretty much. Trump is a symptom, not the disease. And his presidency is the direct result of Clinton's politics. Bill, not Hillary. Hillary, too, is a symptom, not the disease. This neo-liberal shit has deep roots, and even deeper billionaire pockets. Corruption in Washington hasn't impacted what has happened to the middle class in this country nearly as much as what Democrats have been complicit with since Ronald Reagan was in office.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Pretty much. Trump is a symptom, not the disease. And his presidency is the direct result of Clinton's politics. Bill, not Hillary. Hillary, too, is a symptom, not the disease. This neo-liberal shit has deep roots, and even deeper billionaire pockets. Corruption in Washington hasn't impacted what has happened to the middle class in this country nearly as much as what Democrats have been complicit with since Ronald Reagan was in office.

LMAO.  This type of left "thinking" is the equivalent of "no thanks, Doc, I don't want the chemo, I'm going with elderberries and cupping to pull the Hodgkins out of my torso".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

LMAO.  This type of left "thinking" is the equivalent of "no thanks, Doc, I don't want the chemo, I'm going with elderberries and cupping to pull the Hodgkins out of my torso".

Actually, it's more like saying "No thanks, Doc, I don't want to let you drain blood from my arm in an attempt to cure my sore throat." Mainstream Democrats are unpopular for a reason, and it isn't "the rise of fake news". They were unpopular before that, too.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I held my nose and voted for Hillary.  I thought I'd hate myself but realize how much more I would have hated myself if I'd voted for the other option.

20 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Oh, we're making up shit now completely? Listen, Jesus is a much better option. I would encourage him to come down from Heaven and step in, for President. Shit, I've been praying for that already for years now. 

I can't imagine a single thing to guarantee Trump wins again greater than the DNC finding a fucking way to trot Hillary fucking Clinton out a third time to try and be president. They got lucky a dynamic young Obama showed up to the party the first time. lol. 

Classic putting their head in the sand while simultaneously trying to take their ball and go home. It would be hilarious to watch if the stakes weren't so high. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yea this is bullshit

25 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

There is a choice between separating brown kids from their families, or not. 

There is a choice between validating the executive power grab the Senate has yielded, or not validating it. 

Fuck Bloomberg, but let's not pretend he is indistinguishable from Trump. It has real, actual consequences for a vulnerable population.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

There is a choice between separating brown kids from their families, or not. 

There is a choice between validating the executive power grab the Senate has yielded, or not validating it. 

Fuck Bloomberg, but let's not pretend he is indistinguishable from Trump. It has real, actual consequences for a vulnerable population.   

Listen. Why take a chance on improving the country and world by swallowing your pride, and maybe compromising some of your personal ideals when you can sit around and fiddle while Rome continues to burn? I'm not going to throw water on a fire unless everyone chooses to use MY fire hydrant. Those poor kids can just continue to fucking burn. It's like the last page of animal farm coming to life. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Actually, it's more like saying "No thanks, Doc, I don't want to let you drain blood from my arm in an attempt to cure my sore throat." Mainstream Democrats are unpopular for a reason, and it isn't "the rise of fake news". They were unpopular before that, too.

Well, no, you're flat wrong there.  If you do anything but vote for whomever the Democrats put up against Trump, you are trying to kill the body.  Period.  That's it.  There is no alternative.  He is a threat the likes of which this country has never seen.

But sure, keep telling yourself that your 3rd-party vote, or your abstaining vote, or whatever "sends a message" or whatever it means to you.

Actually, I take that back -- it does "send a message".  That message is "I'm either a cuckold or a fool, it's up to you to figure it out".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, no, you're flat wrong there.  If you do anything but vote for whomever the Democrats put up against Trump, you are trying to kill the body.  Period.  That's it.  There is no alternative.  He is a threat the likes of which this country has never seen.

But sure, keep telling yourself that your 3rd-party vote, or your abstaining vote, or whatever "sends a message" or whatever it means to you.

Actually, I take that back -- it does "send a message".  That message is "I'm either a cuckold or a fool, it's up to you to figure it out".

I expect "the democrats" will establish two leaders other than Bloomberg who are far better than Bloomberg. I don't care if it is Biden, Buttigieg, Warren, Yang, Klobuchar, or Sanders, one of those candidates should and will win the nomination and I will support that candidate no matter what. That is the most likely outcome.

And when Bloomberg runs as a third party candidate, I have no doubt Democrats will call him the charlatan that he is. 

58 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea this is bullshit

America was pretty awesome for a very long time then something TOTALLY WEIRD happened and now Donald Trump is president so once we get rid of him everything will go back to being super awesome.

Man, don't know how I got this cough and this chest pain. Thank god it's over!

*lights another cigarette*