If your preferred Dem candidate does not get the nomination, what do you do?

Biff Tannen

If your preferred Dem candidate does not get the nomination, what do you do?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. If your preferred Dem candidate does not get the nomination, what do you do?

• Vote for whomever the Dem nominee is
    • Not vote
    • Vote for the Republican candidate
    • Vote third party/write in

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

America was pretty awesome for a very long time then something TOTALLY WEIRD happened and now Donald Trump is president so once we get rid of him everything will go back to being super awesome.

Literally nobody has suggested anything of the sort.

Man, don't know how I got this cough and this chest pain. Thank god it's over!

*lights another cigarette*

Well, that's nonsensical.  Do you treat the lung cancer or not?  Your stupid metaphor should end with "don't perform CPR, doc, I've been a smoker my whole life so clearly I should die."

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You treat the lung cancer and you quit smoking.

So, to continue with the metaphor, "treating the lung cancer" is quite clearly the equivalent of getting Donald Trump out of office.  If you believe some other candidate is worse than Trump, so be it, but I submit you don't have a crystal ball with that kind of precision.  There is ample evidence speaking to where we are headed now -- even if it's a Hail Mary, why not try something else?

By all means, I am all for not smoking.  Pursue that angle with vigor as well.

Jesus, what kind of question is this?  Even Joe Walsh said “for God’s sake, please vote for whomever the D candidate is.”  Joe Walsh.  The tea party hero.  The guy who called Obama a commie or some shit. Joe “Extreme Rightwing Nutjob” Walsh. Even that guy is saying Trump is so dangerous that GOP voters should choose any Dem over the current Republican President.  

What kind of unhinged lunatic do you have to be to pull the lever for Trump?

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

America was pretty awesome for a very long time then something TOTALLY WEIRD happened and now Donald Trump is president so once we get rid of him everything will go back to being super awesome.

Man, don't know how I got this cough and this chest pain. Thank god it's over!

*lights another cigarette*

Yea that’s what I said.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Ditto.  But considering 3 of the top 4 are in their 70s when they take the oath of office, VP is going to matter a lot (for me). 

Biden-Harris? Hell to the yes.
Sanders-Gabbard? Hell to the no. 

Bloomberg - Harris?

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Trump isn't the cancer, he's the cough and the chest pain.

No, he's the fucking tumor.  He's the end result of years of bad behavior.  You either attack the tumor or you die.  You might die anyway, because the treatment might not be successful, but you will die if you don't target the immediate problem.  There's your metaphor.

George W Bush destroyed our economy and got us into never-ending wars that have cost us over $3T (very conservatively) and took millions of human lives. He dramatically expanded executive power and made the intelligence and "homeland security" apparatuses both unaccountable and ubiquitous.

The nation survived.

The nation will survive Donald Trump. Saying that there "literally" won't be a nation after a second Trump term is hysterical bullshit.

He's terrible. He's absolutely terrible. But when I see this primary discussion flooded with people who burned their house to the ground looking at me saying, "GIVE ME YOUR HOUSE!" my reaction is...

source.gif

The cancer is inequality. The cancer is unbridled capitalism. The cancer is poverty and bigotry and abusive authority structures that destroy communities. The cancer is oligarchy.

We have been fighting the cancer, so join us as we fight it. I'd love to have you guys on the team.

But if you don't want to fight the cancer? Suck a dick.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Fuck off.  I am fighting the cancer.  You're hoping that herbs and meditation destroy the disease that is killing you.  It's just astonishing how ignorant you are (not to mention how you twist arguments into convenient yet inaccurate untruths just to have something to argue against).

Enough, I'm done.  If your path is what we end up taking, you will be every bit as responsible as every Republican, and you will deserve everything that's coming to you.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

If your preferred Dem candidate does not get the nomination, what do you do?  Dotard supporters need not participate.

I like you but this is kind of a dumb poll. The only people who say they aren’t voting for the dem candidate on this forum are our resident trolls.

On second thought, if this somehow identifies the trolls, more power to you. Good poll then. 

Edited by JimmyJames

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Pretty much. Trump is a symptom, not the disease. And his presidency is the direct result of Clinton's politics. Bill, not Hillary. Hillary, too, is a symptom, not the disease. This neo-liberal shit has deep roots, and even deeper billionaire pockets. Corruption in Washington hasn't impacted what has happened to the middle class in this country nearly as much as what Democrats have been complicit with since Ronald Reagan was in office.

You are not entirely wrong, but Trump is a pestilence and plague all unto himself.

The one thing I wonder is whether anyone else would have mobilized a chunk of the population against it or if it would have continued to simmer under the surface for God knows how long.

George W Bush destroyed our economy and got us into never-ending wars that have cost us over $3T (very conservatively) and took millions of human lives. He dramatically expanded executive power and made the intelligence and "homeland security" apparatuses both unaccountable and ubiquitous.
The nation survived.
The nation will survive Donald Trump. Saying that there "literally" won't be a nation after a second Trump term is hysterical bullshit.
He's terrible. He's absolutely terrible. But when I see this primary discussion flooded with people who burned their house to the ground looking at me saying, "GIVE ME YOUR HOUSE!" my reaction is...
source.gif
The cancer is inequality. The cancer is unbridled capitalism. The cancer is poverty and bigotry and abusive authority structures that destroy communities. The cancer is oligarchy.
We have been fighting the cancer, so join us as we fight it. I'd love to have you guys on the team.
God, you are a fucking beating.
  • Like 4

Was the thread supposed to read, “hey I’m super happy Bernie is winning New Hampshire so when he wins the Nomination will YOU vote for HIM?” because that’s what Bernie bros usually ask instead of the question presented.

And what I find interesting is two of the loudest Bernie bros on this board equivocated on their answer. Shocking.

I’ll vote for any Dem candidate, any of them. Doesn’t matter who gets it. And I’ll give them a few bucks and give them volunteer time too. It’s a no brainer.

• Like 9

Was the thread supposed to read, “hey I’m super happy Bernie is winning New Hampshire so when he wins the Nomination will YOU vote for HIM?” because that’s what Bernie bros usually ask instead of the question presented.

And what I find interesting is two of the loudest Bernie bros on this board equivocated on their answer. Shocking.

I’ll vote for any Dem candidate, any of them. Doesn’t matter who gets it. And I’ll give them a few bucks and give them volunteer time too. It’s a no brainer.

The answer is you vote for the Dem, even if it isnt your preferred candidate. Trump is a shitshow. Even Bloomberg if preferred over him.
  • Like 2

I’ll call out anyone on it. I responded after I saw you and wash equivocating. Which wasn’t a surprise at all, I expected it. And anyone who stays home or doesn’t vote blue is a major problem in my eyes and will be partly responsible for trump being reelected. There is no excuse to stay home if Bernie get the nomination and frankly even Bloomberg is clearly better. So stop bitching and follow your own leaders wishes. Vote blue no matter what.

• Like 4

I will vote for whichever candidate is chosen by the voters with a plurality or majority of the pledged delegates via the primary process.

Pete wins the most pledged delegates? I vote Pete. Joe, Liz, Bernie? Great.

Not voting for Bloomberg in any circumstance.

I will not vote for an oligarch and I will not vote for a candidate selected against the will of the primary voters.

I like democracy.

I appreciate the childlike skill you used constructing your amazing logic trap, but alas...

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The nation survived.

source.gif

Honestly I'd be surprised if America as we know it survives the next 20 years Trump has so thoroughly damaged every pillar of our society that the center can no longer hold and will collapse 

Edited by Michael Knight

I don't mind if you guys get a frisson of unearned self-righteousness from pledging to vote for an oligarch or for a candidate undemocratically selected by the servants of oligarchs, but do you actually believe that is "right" in any larger sense?

If so, do you think you could fully articulate why beyond, "FUCK YOU YOU FUCK, TRUMP!"

Honestly I'd be surprised if America as we know it survives the next 20 years Trump has so thoroughly damaged every pillar of our society that the center can no longer hold and will collapse 
I mean, the rhetorical flourishes are inspiring and all, but what exactly is going to happen?

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:
7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I mean, the rhetorical flourishes are inspiring and all, but what exactly is going to happen?

You think Trump is the end? He's simply the beginning.

I don't mind if you guys get a frisson of unearned self-righteousness from pledging to vote for an oligarch or for a candidate undemocratically selected by the servants of oligarchs, but do you actually believe that is "right" in any larger sense?

If so, do you think you could fully articulate why beyond, "FUCK YOU YOU FUCK, TRUMP!"

Bernie bros gonna Bernie bro.

No one with a plurality gets the nomination. Bernie isn’t going to get jacked because he’s Bernie. The thing gets negotiated, reshuffled, brokered, at the convention. those are the rules. Everyone knows them.

I have maybe a 10% difference on Bernie the candidate. I’m wildly in disagreement with his cisgender male younger followers. And your rants are exactly why.

Yeah I’ll vote for status quo oligarchs who will at least put a liberal in RBG’s spot - you’re damn right I will, you know why? That makes a real difference to us LGBTQ and especially trans folks - you know ME - that you go out of your way to tell me you support our right to exist. Well pence and trump don’t, so yeah it’s ANYONE BUT TRUMP this time around bro and if you really were behind the minority groups and not just your economic self interest you’d have a much easier time swallowing your pride and voting for ANYONE BUT TRUMP.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Bernie bros gonna Bernie bro.

No one with a plurality gets the nomination. Bernie isn’t going to get jacked because he’s Bernie. The thing gets negotiated, reshuffled, brokered, at the convention. those are the rules. Everyone knows them.

I have maybe a 10% difference on Bernie the candidate. I’m wildly in disagreement with his cisgender male younger followers. And your rants are exactly why.

Yeah I’ll vote for status quo oligarchs who will at least put a liberal in RBG’s spot - you’re damn right I will, you know why? That makes a real difference to us LGBTQ and especially trans folks - you know ME - that you go out of your way to tell me you support their right to exist. Well pence and trump don’t, so yeah it’s ANYONE BUT TRUMP this time around bro and if you really were behind the minority groups and not just your economic self interest you’d have a much easier time swallowing your pride and voting for ANYONE BUT TRUMP.

I guess that's the thing I don't get is how the Bros don't see that this isn't the last chance for their "revolution".  It is, however, our last chance at saving our democracy.

Any of y'all who have wondered why I have said that Trump is a stone-cold lock for re-election....just go back through this thread as a snapshot of exactly why that's going to happen.

We have enough people who are willing to watch the country burn on a pyre of their zero-compromise principles to tilt the whole thing Trump's way.  It only takes a few percentage points, and he's already got them.  

Eight years of Trump, guaranteed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I’m wildly in disagreement with his cisgender male younger followers.

Bernie is, by far, the most popular candidate with the LGBT community.

Yeah I’ll vote for status quo oligarchs who will at least put a liberal in RBG’s spot - you’re damn right I will, you know why? That makes a real difference to us LGBTQ and especially trans folks - you know ME - that you go out of your way to tell me you support our right to exist. Well pence and trump don’t, so yeah it’s ANYONE BUT TRUMP this time around bro and if you really were behind the minority groups and not just your economic self interest you’d have a much easier time swallowing your pride and voting for ANYONE BUT TRUMP.

Mike Bloomberg will protect LGBT people with money. He will continue the crushing oppression of those without. He's responsible for Kavanaugh. He called trans women men in dresses.

Sell that guy to someone who is gullible.

29 minutes ago, North Austin said:

Okay I'll bite.

As long as it's not Sanders, I'll vote. 

I think we're up to 3 never-Bernies and... *crickets* from the "BERNIE BROOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" howlers.

Weird!

52 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Any of y'all who have wondered why I have said that Trump is a stone-cold lock for re-election....just go back through this thread as a snapshot of exactly why that's going to happen.

We have enough people who are willing to watch the country burn on a pyre of their zero-compromise principles to tilt the whole thing Trump's way.  It only takes a few percentage points, and he's already got them.  

Eight years of Trump, guaranteed.

I think you mean 12 years and then Junior takes over.

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I think we're up to 3 never-Bernies and... *crickets* from the "BERNIE BROOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" howlers.

I've said it many times -- anyone who supports one of the candidates running in the Democratic primaries but refuses to support the winning candidate in the general election is a fool.

Others have said the same.

It's odd how you just haven't noticed.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've said it many times -- anyone who supports one of the candidates running in the Democratic primaries but refuses to support the winning candidate in the general election is a fool.

You say that in general, then you focus very specific and very emotionalist anger by calling out Bernie supporters specifically.

Why is that? It's not because there are more of us or because we are more likely to vote for Trump (we're not).

So why?

Just now, bad_teammate said:

You say that in general, then you focus very specific and very emotionalist anger by calling out Bernie supporters specifically.

Why is that? It's not because there are more of us or because we are more likely to vote for Trump (we're not).

So why?

I absolutely believe Berners are far more likely to either vote for Trump or just not vote if Bernie doesn't get the nomination.

For what it's worth, and I'm sure this is a shock to you, my exposure to D voters is not limited to surlyhorns.