2020 Fishing: Get out there and wet some hooks

Dances with Dachshunds

2020 starting off like shit for me. Small  tear in by left bicep, and sprained all ligaments in my left elbow. So my fishing for this year is on hold until at least March sometime.

So, all you fishermen, post your catches and stories ( lots of pics please) so I can fish vicariously until I heal and play fishing catch up.  Hook'em.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

My kid wants to fish.  I don't really fish much, only been a couple times on the coast and as kid, so I'm clueless where we can fish around Austin with a decent chance of catching something.  

How old is the kid and what are you expecting/wanting to fish for? What kind of gear to you have? Are you thinking bank fishing?

W/out knowing any details, my first suggestion is Town Lake. If you are looking to just catch anything, then get a ultralight spinning rig from Academy for cheap. Get a small crank bait and/or small crappie jigs. Try the below. You will prob catch bluegills and sunfish.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//30.2766595,-97.7741564/@30.276601,-97.774367,234m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

If the kid is older and you want to target bass, then you'll need to get off the bank. Rent a canoe or kayak and paddle around town lake and fish structure and the shorelines under overhangs. Use crankbait, paddle tails, and texas rigged worms.

• Like 1

He's 14.  Has fished a handful of times.  Knows how to bait a hook, filet a fish, etc...  We've just usually fished at other destinations.. the beach, a camping trip, etc..  Never just fished at home for sake of fishing.  Simple catch and release is fine.  He has a rod and reel and a basic tackle box with a few lures, and stuff.  I have no idea what kind of rod it is but he's caught catfish and a bass or two on it before.  

41 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

granger lake is a decent spot.

Yes, the white bass are going to be moving soon - you can go park at the canoe launch at San Gabriel Wildlife Refuge and hike upstream a mile or so and fish the river.  Easy hiking and not crowded at all, compared to the steps.    Also can go to Reimer's, although I haven't had much luck wading there the past couple of years.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Canoe+launch,+San+Gabriel+Wildlife+Management+Area/@30.6466766,-97.4263274,2375m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8644e043a0d37453:0xed766805ae2f5c88!8m2!3d30.6530707!4d-97.4127781?hl=en

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yes, the white bass are going to be moving soon - you can go park at the canoe launch at San Gabriel Wildlife Refuge and hike upstream a mile or so and fish the river.  Easy hiking and not crowded at all, compared to the steps.    Also can go to Reimer's, although I haven't had much luck wading there the past couple of years.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Canoe+launch,+San+Gabriel+Wildlife+Management+Area/@30.6466766,-97.4263274,2375m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8644e043a0d37453:0xed766805ae2f5c88!8m2!3d30.6530707!4d-97.4127781?hl=en

Good to know about hiking up from the boat launch.  I fish up and down from the Steps most of the time.  I may see what's running this weekend.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:06 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Up where those toenail bends are on the map, there are some spots you can get in and wade gravel bars.  It’s a pretty good hike, if you want more details let me know.  

I hiked in and found one gravel bar to fish yesterday with no luck.  Fishing with a fly rod really limited the area I could cover.  I think I'll stick with the area around the Steps as there are multiple options for casting, both up and down from the Steps.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I hiked in and found one gravel bar to fish yesterday with no luck.  Fishing with a fly rod really limited the area I could cover.  I think I'll stick with the area around the Steps as there are multiple options for casting, both up and down from the Steps.

Yeah, the brush and undergrowth in the refuge section aren't conducive to fly fishing, or any bank fishing for that matter.  If it makes you feel any better, a couple friends went there on Sunday and only caught one male white bass.  Just aren't there yet I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I now find myself a citizen of the Highland Lakes area, so if I want to leave the boat and make a Saturday morning wade, Shaffer Bend, and bends west, all the way to Starke dam are within range, as is LBJ and Buchanan. I've fished LBJ and Buchanan enough to conclude that bank access to points worth fishing are likely limited. Haven't figured out how to access the tail race and river below Wirtz dam. I see there are some little parks on Lake Marble Falls in Cottonwood Shores and the bend parks on Travis from Shaffer on to the dam. What are the best options for wading spots, and when will the whites genrally be there?

I don't fly fish so I'm throwing small baits with a spinning rod. Help appreciated. There are times I just want to go without screwing with the boat and there should be some good spots in range.

I now find myself a citizen of the Highland Lakes area, so if I want to leave the boat and make a Saturday morning wade, Shaffer Bend, and bends west, all the way to Starke dam are within range, as is LBJ and Buchanan. I've fished LBJ and Buchanan enough to conclude that bank access to points worth fishing are likely limited. Haven't figured out how to access the tail race and river below Wirtz dam. I see there are some little parks on Lake Marble Falls in Cottonwood Shores and the bend parks on Travis from Shaffer on to the dam. What are the best options for wading spots, and when will the whites genrally be there?
I don't fly fish so I'm throwing small baits with a spinning rod. Help appreciated. There are times I just want to go without screwing with the boat and there should be some good spots in range.

Wading like you would in a Texas bay or in the surf? I would think the steep shorelines would make wading difficult in the Highland Lakes. I’ve never seen anyone do it.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:47 AM, Jerry Callo said:

My buddy went Friday and caught 7 decent sized, 2 of the keepers were females.  He said it should be pretty good later this week, as long as the rain doesn't mess things up.

On 2/28/2020 at 2:54 PM, 1leggedduck said:

Yes. Wading is different in a river. And kayaks are really cool. I’m just looking for places along the Colorado with good access to fishable water and a rough idea as to when the white run will be there. Anyone?

I assume you are familiar with Colorado Bend State Park (Colorado River above Buchanan), Reimers Ranch (Pedernales River above Travis) and the Slab (Llano River above LBJ)?  Those are your best bets for wading for white bass.  I personally wouldn't bother with wading on any of the lakes because the fish are not concentrated enough.  I used to fish below Starcke dam and did catch fish, but I wouldn't advise wading there, or maybe it was just the flows were too high when I was fishing it.    

Usually the run is on hot and heavy in mid-March at each of the spots mentioned above, but I'm sure there males in catchable numbers there now, and sometimes the best fishing is early before news is out that it's "on."  Note that water levels matter a lot and I have no idea what the current conditions are.  Google is your friend, as is 4 to 6 pound test mono (at least a 2 or 3ft leader if fishing braid) and nothing heavier than a 1/16 oz spinner of whatever your preference is and I typically throw a 1/32 oz. marabou.

• Like 1

The Slab is good for things other than Natty Lite drinkers selling crank? Cool. That's reasonably close. I've camped at Colorado Bend and a co-worker says his family does well on their boat in that area. Hadn't thought about bank fishing/wading there, but the river is pretty narrow. I wasn't planning on getting in the water below any of the dams. No Deliverance scenes for me. I appreciate the word. It'll be The Slab and Colorado Bend to start. 

On 3/2/2020 at 9:13 AM, The Royal We said:

New lake record Largemouth on my home waters last weekend - 14.02 lbs.  The 2nd ShareLunker caught on the lake already this year.

huge-bass.png?w=1200&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=

https://kicks105.com/mammoth-largemouth-sets-new-bass-record-at-lake-nacogdoches/

Wow. I used to fish there around 2002-2004. Largest I caught was a 5.3. Seems I need to plan a road trip.

Ok, brag on a daughter a little bit.  She's a college freshman in Quebec, and she's doing her best to go native.  She's embraced winter sports, cross-country skiing, that sort of thing.  And, she's a passionate fishergal.  So, when in the great white north, and your school is on "reading week" (kinda sorta spring break), what do you do?

94e55720fbb48230d1f22ba707de18ad.jpg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Ok, brag on a daughter a little bit.  She's a college freshman in Quebec, and she's doing her best to go native.  She's embraced winter sports, cross-country skiing, that sort of thing.  And, she's a passionate fishergal.  So, when in the great white north, and your school is on "reading week" (kinda sort spring break), what do you do?

you get drunk in a hut sitting atop a frozen lake.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
17 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

See above.  Quoting it so you’ll see the reply.  

Shit.  Googled that and I think you're right.  I'm used to seeing the Atlantic croaker (and i just call them croaker).  My wife said it looked like a croaker.  I said no.  I'll hear about this for a while...

Not sure if this is the right place to post a fish ID question, but couldn’t find a thread. What type of fish did I get while casting for shrimp?

237AAC22-FCF2-4BB5-B43F-C75FC3EF1214.thumb.jpeg.417cbfbdce09001028b73ce45d1141cf.jpeg

8477C900-6F23-4417-B93B-CB45F7D7A93A.thumb.jpeg.987665bae56cf0f0ef01f7cad6e54d6c.jpeg

Doesn't look anything like a croaker, they look like tiny redfish because they are cousins.

This looks like a pin perch, see the dot right behind the gills?

96ca05f669c1783d5cfe05fb94bb96c6.jpg